Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims can't cook

For some reason my sims can't cook. When I click "Cook" and select any of the foods it will take away the money its worth and my sims won't do anything. Can someone please help me?

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Exit the game
    Origin > My Games > right-click The Sims 4 > Repair Game
    Delete the file localthumbcache.package
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sims4_KikiSims4_Kiki Posts: 3 New Member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the quick response :smiley: but what will deleting that file do luthienrising?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,611 Member
    Sims4_Kiki wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response :smiley: but what will deleting that file do luthienrising?

Hello. Deleting the file won't cause any issues to your games. A new localthumbcache.package will be created the next time you play the game.
    By deleting the file, it can help your issue.
  • Options
    KaerfusKaerfus Posts: 49 Member
    Yeah, I'm having the same issue. So far, I haven't been able to solve it.
  • Options
    Kaerfus wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm having the same issue. So far, I haven't been able to solve it.

Hello @Kaerfus .
    Try repairing the game by right clicking on the sims 4 picture in origin and clicking repair.
    Also try deleting the localthumbcache.package in your sims 4 folder and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, mods/CC could be causing the issues. Move your mods folder to the desktop, start the game and see if that helps the issue. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the mods folder in batches and testing to see which is the cause of the problem.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > Kaerfus wrote: »
    >
    > Yeah, I'm having the same issue. So far, I haven't been able to solve it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello Kaerfus .
    > Try repairing the game by right clicking on the sims 4 picture in origin and clicking repair.
    > Also try deleting the localthumbcache.package in your sims 4 folder and see if that helps.
    >
    > If that doesn't help, mods/CC could be causing the issues. Move your mods folder to the desktop, start the game and see if that helps the issue. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the mods folder in batches and testing to see which is the cause of the problem.

I thank you, but on the other thread "Oven bug" I did all the suggested solutions and none fixed it.
  • Options
    pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    Deleting localthumbcache will achieve exactly nothing to solve this kind of problem. That only contains the little thumbnail previews for the catalogue and other UI, so the only reason to nuke it is when those are broken or messed up somehow.

Re. the cooking issue, when you can rule out that CC is interfering, version 1.5.something had routing issues with cabinets blocking fridges underneath (I don’t know whether that was fixed in later patches) where sims would routefail when trying to cook. If you think that could be the problem, try moving the fridge elsewhere to test.
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • Options
    I did some more testing, this time removing paintings and the smoke detector from the walls, same results.
    The Sim takes the food from the fridge, starts to cook it normally, but during the part where he leaves it heating on the stove, the action disappears and if commanded again, the "path error" animation plays and the action disappears again. Did the same after moving both the oven and the fridge to the outside area and it played out the exact same.
  • Options
    Kaerfus wrote: »
    I did some more testing, this time removing paintings and the smoke detector from the walls, same results.
    The Sim takes the food from the fridge, starts to cook it normally, but during the part where he leaves it heating on the stove, the action disappears and if commanded again, the "path error" animation plays and the action disappears again. Did the same after moving both the oven and the fridge to the outside area and it played out the exact same.

Hello.
    Perhaps if you sell the oven and buy another one it may help? There may be a glitch with that oven.
  • Options
    talomktalomk Posts: 16 Member
    I had a similar issue with cooking, my sim would start cooking on the left front stove eye and then move it to the right front eye. After doing so she could no longer interact with the pot/pan. I would have to manually click on the pot and move it back to the left eye and all was good. Not sure if this will help you but you could try moving the pot/pan to a different eye and see if you can then interact with it.
  • Options
    FCazaresFCazares Posts: 20 Member
    I encounter this one every once in a while myself and it can be very annoying. it usually happens to me if I'm in build mode or manage worlds mode for a long amount of time. I don't delete any cache files because saving and then exiting the game completely fixes it when I get back into the game. I hope they fix this one soon!
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > Kaerfus wrote: »
    >
    > I did some more testing, this time removing paintings and the smoke detector from the walls, same results.
    > The Sim takes the food from the fridge, starts to cook it normally, but during the part where he leaves it heating on the stove, the action disappears and if commanded again, the "path error" animation plays and the action disappears again. Did the same after moving both the oven and the fridge to the outside area and it played out the exact same.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello.
    > Perhaps if you sell the oven and buy another one it may help? There may be a glitch with that oven.

That is a good theory, but nope, tested that too xD
  • Options
    So, is this impossible to fix by ourselves or something? Any idea if there will be a patch for this? My families are currently surviving on pizza and potions.
  • Options
    Try testing to make sure that a corrupt save file is not causing the problem.
    To do that, move the saves folder to the desktop , start the game, start a new game file and see if the problem is still there.

If the issue is not there, then the cause of it is a file in the saves folder.
    If the issue is still there, then the problem is not with the save files.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > Try testing to make sure that a corrupt save file is not causing the problem.
    > To do that, move the saves folder to the desktop , start the game, start a new game file and see if the problem is still there.
    >
    > If the issue is not there, then the cause of it is a file in the saves folder.
    > If the issue is still there, then the problem is not with the save files.

I'll do so. If that is the case, any ideas on advance on how to restore that particular save with the least amount of changes possible?
  • Options
    If that is the case, you will need to put the save files one by one back into the saves folder that has been generated in the sims 4 folder, testing after each save file to see which one of them is causing problems.

When you find the one that is causing the problems, delete that.
    These are links that explain about rolling back a save. ( I have posted two links, in case you find one more easier to undestand than another )
    https://enkeli63.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/sims-4-saved-game-back-up-recovery/
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1

If you find that it is not a save file that is causing the problems after you have moved the saves folder to the desktop, you will still need to replace the new saves folder with the old saves folder that you have placed on the desktop, so that you get your save files back.
  • Options
    xena311xena311 Posts: 51 Member
    Hey, please post if you manage to fix this somehow. I'm having very similar issues and repair alone didn't work. I'm not sure whether I need a cache clear or what.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    xena311 wrote: »
    Hey, please post if you manage to fix this somehow. I'm having very similar issues and repair alone didn't work. I'm not sure whether I need a cache clear or what.

Hello @xena311 .
    Deleting the cache files has helped other simmers. It may help your issue as well.
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

If you still have problems after doing that, do what I wrote in the above post
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13657948/#Comment_13657948
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well, I took the advice some other people were posting to try moving the save files and mods, delete the Sims 4 file, and then restart the game, then put in your stuff and now I can cook, but have managed to delete *3 months* of progress. My sim doesn't even know her husband anymore... So yeah, I'd say manually deleting the cache is a way better option. People, please don't try that method.
  • Options
    Well, I took the advice some other people were posting to try moving the save files and mods, delete the Sims 4 file, and then restart the game, then put in your stuff and now I can cook, but have managed to delete *3 months* of progress. My sim doesn't even know her husband anymore... So yeah, I'd say manually deleting the cache is a way better option. People, please don't try that method.

Hello @xena311 . If you have a later save file, you can roll back that save file. You would not lose as much progress.
  • Options
    That's the only one I can find besides the auto save slot 1 which seems to not have any progress at all on it. The others are missing. I can't find the original Sims 4 file in my recycle bin either. I tried the 'save' I had in there, but it was the one that was created when I restarted the game. The old one seems to have merged in, but is missing most of the data.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    That's the only one I can find besides the auto save slot 1 which seems to not have any progress at all on it. The others are missing. I can't find the original Sims 4 file in my recycle bin either. I tried the 'save' I had in there, but it was the one that was created when I restarted the game. The old one seems to have merged in, but is missing most of the data.

Hello @xena311. Have a read of this link. You may be able to rename one of the other files, and recover a later save file. It is better to read the link rather than me explain it because the link has pictures.
    https://enkeli63.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/sims-4-saved-game-back-up-recovery/
  • Options
    Thanks. I had looked at that, but my only other option was Slot 2. Running just slot 1 seems to give me no progress at all. Maybe I should have been doing more backup saves like this person. I feel like I had more than I do now though.
  • Options
    Sadly, reloading saves didn't do it for me due to the fact that I had saved more than five times after it... So I saved my family to the Library and started with it later. Lost all the money and items, but the Aspiration progress and career levels were still intact.
  • Options
    > @Kaerfus said:
    > Sadly, reloading saves didn't do it for me due to the fact that I had saved more than five times after it... So I saved my family to the Library and started with it later. Lost all the money and items, but the Aspiration progress and career levels were still intact.
    See, that would have been more secure. I guess now I can start them over and maybe have them try different career paths. I hope I can find her husband though! I miss nraas when you could search for npcs...