Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scientific Breakthroughs Applied to Toddlers

AflutterAflutter Posts: 139 Member
edited May 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I thought the breakthrough meter for the scientist career was very innovative. I’ve already mentioned how it could have been used in the detective career here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/828927/wishlist-new-detective-case-types

I also think it could be applied to toddlers, which I know we don’t have yet, but when we do I’d like them to have a breakthrough meter for walking and talking.

It would work like this. Certain activities will fill up their meter until they reach a breakthrough. Having an adult talk to them, being read a story, watching television (which I’m not really in favor of for toddlers, personally) would fill up their talking meter. Once the meter fills up, they have their first breakthrough – saying Mama or Dada. The next breakthrough is saying no. The next breakthrough is being able to ask for things, food, stories, television, toys. Once they’ve had these three breakthroughs, they have learned how to talk. Using this system makes it more organic for toddlers to learn to talk than just sitting across from them and repeating words to them until they get it.

Breakthroughs for walking would be crawling, pulling themselves up on furniture and then walking unassisted. Learning to walk would require even less supervision than learning to talk. Basically, the player would be able to tell the toddler to practice walking and their meters would gradually fill up.

Potty training, however, would work a bit different and would require the most supervision, at least at first. You’d still have to keep an eye on their bladder meter to see when to take them to the toilet. Do it enough times to fill up the meter and they’ve reached their first breakthrough, when they start going to the toilet by themselves, but the chances of wetting themselves while sleeping is still pretty high. Fill up the meter one more time and they stay dry through the night. And that’s potty training.

@SimGuruGrant @SimGuruGraham
Post edited by Aflutter on

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    That sounds like fun.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    I like it
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    gmomasuegmomasue Posts: 648 Member
    I like it , but after they are potty trained have them use the big potty like all the rest of the Sims .But have them fall in some times and someone needs to go help them.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Aflutter wrote: »
    I thought the breakthrough meter for the scientist career was very innovative. I’ve already mentioned how it could have been used in the detective career here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/828927/wishlist-new-detective-case-types

I also think it could be applied to toddlers, which I know we don’t have yet, but when we do I’d like them to have a breakthrough meter for walking and talking.

It would work like this. Certain activities will fill up their meter until they reach a breakthrough. Having an adult talk to them, being read a story, watching television (which I’m not really in favor of for toddlers, personally) would fill up their talking meter. Once the meter fills up, they have their first breakthrough – saying Mama or Dada. The next breakthrough is saying no. The next breakthrough is being able to ask for things, food, stories, television, toys. Once they’ve had these three breakthroughs, they have learned how to talk. Using this system makes it more organic for toddlers to learn to talk than just sitting across from them and repeating words to them until they get it.

Breakthroughs for walking would be crawling, pulling themselves up on furniture and then walking unassisted. Learning to walk would require even less supervision than learning to talk. Basically, the player would be able to tell the toddler to practice walking and their meters would gradually fill up.

Potty training, however, would work a bit different and would require the most supervision, at least at first. You’d still have to keep an eye on their bladder meter to see when to take them to the toilet. Do it enough times to fill up the meter and they’ve reached their first breakthrough, when they start going to the toilet by themselves, but the chances of wetting themselves while sleeping is still pretty high. Fill up the meter one more time and they stay dry through the night. And that’s potty training.

@SimGuruGrant @SimGuruGraham

I actually like this idea, it would work very well for the basic "skills" like walking, talking and pottying :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    craftaholiccraftaholic Posts: 447 Member
    Love the idea
    Stop me if you've heard this one: a sim walks into a bar....player moves bar out of the way.....sim walks on without walking into anything else.