Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

new laptop

I was looking at a better laptop to support my Sims 3 and all the expansions. I found this one and would like to know what some of you'll think about it. This 14" Alienware Laptop Computer is designed for high-quality gaming excellence. Made with top of the line parts this laptop exudes desktop power in an easily accessible size of 14 inches. Created for fast speed, the Intel Core i5-4200M will give you fun in less time. Immerse yourself in the game with 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M graphic card. This laptops exterior design does not skip a beat it is beautifully designed with the AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard, and the quick performing Multi-Touchpad with integrated scrolling and gestures.Windows® 8
• Intel® Core™ i5-4200M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.1GHz)
• Intel® HM87 Express Chipset
• 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M Graphics
• Hard Drive* 750GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)
• 8GB Memory
• AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard
• Multi-Touchpad with integrated scrolling & gestures
• 6-Cell Battery
• Webcam Resolution: Full HD 2MP Camera with dual digital microphones
• Bluetooth®

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    if going for all expansions I would go with a higher card. I have a 770m. I play all but pets. Alienware is usually overpriced and the 700 series cards are now two years old. You would be better off with an 800 or 900 series card. Do you have a price range?
  • Options
    dakota2458dakota2458 Posts: 29 Member
    what type of laptop would you refer as a good one and no price limit.
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    dakota2458 wrote: »

You definitly need a laptop? You don't want a desktop? Just want to confirm that.
  • Options
    dakota2458dakota2458 Posts: 29 Member
    i usually play it at work too. so, a laptop. thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Are you in the US? I would recommend my ASUS ROG laptop with the 970 or 980 card with 2 hard drives. One is ssd. The sims 3 plays better on ssd

Add: If your only playing the sims 970 would be fine but if you are gaming something heavier like GTA V 980 would be best.

This is the GTX 970m and at a decent price

http://www.amazon.com/G751JT-i7-4710HQ-Nvidia-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00QHD8KHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430781413&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+rog+970m

and top of the line would be GTX 980m ( I dont know if you can buy this cheaper)

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DH71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00NWE9RPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430781508&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+980m

I
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Just throwing this out there - I've stuck with Acer laptops for the past 3 years or so. Just recently got a new one. If we're talking cards, it has a Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M and cost about $1,200. It's an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro. I have The Sims 3, all of its expansions, most stuff packs, a ton of store content, and some CC and I can run it on the highest settings no problem. :smile:
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there - I've stuck with Acer laptops for the past 3 years or so. Just recently got a new one. If we're talking cards, it has a Nvidia Geforce GTX 860M and cost about $1,200. It's an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro. I have The Sims 3, all of its expansions, most stuff packs, a ton of store content, and some CC and I can run it on the highest settings no problem. :smile:
    Yes the nitro laptops are good. I would avoid the low budget Acers though.
    The 860M card is also ideal for playing the game.. I have heard good things about that card and ts3.
    However they will start selling more GTX 960M laptops and less of the 860M.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    The 860M card is also ideal for playing the game.. I have heard good things about that card and ts3.

900 series cards are better than the 800 and OP said they have no limit. If they have no limit I would go for 970 or 980
  • Options

900 series cards are better than the 800 and OP said they have no limit. If they have no limit I would go for 970 or 980
    Yes but if it's just for ts3 970 and 980 is overkill. However if your like me and love overkill then go for it lol.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited May 2015

Yes but if it's just for ts3 970 and 980 is overkill. However if your like me and love overkill then go for it lol.

actually my 770m can not handle all eps (pets) but can play everything else with store content and worlds etc. OP wants all eps op did not state if they were also intending on playing other games. The 970 is a lot more powerful than my 770. I wish I had the 970m :'( and for my laptop with 2 hard drives one being larger ssd and the 970m for $1500. If I had no budget the asus rog laptop with the 970 would be in my cart at amazon clicking buy LOL we need the golden ticket :p

and since the new 900 series is better and newer than the 800 series, if I had no budget I would no doubt buy a 900 series card. I would not even be looking at 800 series.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

actually my 770m can not handle all eps (pets) but can play everything else with store content and worlds etc. OP wants all eps op did not state if they were also intending on playing other games. The 970 is a lot more powerful than my 770. I wish I had the 970m :'( and for my laptop with 2 hard drives one being larger ssd and the 970m for $1500. If I had no budget the asus rog laptop with the 970 would be in my cart at amazon clicking buy LOL we need the golden ticket :p

and since the new 900 series is better and newer than the 800 series, if I had no budget I would no doubt buy a 900 series card. I would not even be looking at 800 series.
    Lol if your 770 cannot not handle all eps then it's EA'S problem.. Lol this game was made well before your 770 and I think that's the problem.. the coding is old and outdated and just not very well optimized. It's a demanding game that doesn't really need to be demanding.. if you get what I mean lol. Let's just hope ts4 doesn't go down the same road.. although that's not looking good lol.
    I had a harder time playing this game then playing shadow of mordor or Dragon age inquisition.. so that speaks volumes.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited May 2015

Lol if your 770 cannot not handle all eps then it's EA'S problem.. Lol this game was made well before your 770 and I think that's the problem.. the coding is old and outdated and just not very well optimized. It's a demanding game that doesn't really need to be demanding.. if you get what I mean lol. Let's just hope ts4 doesn't go down the same road.. although that's not looking good lol.
    I had a harder time playing this game then playing shadow of mordor or Dragon age inquisition.. so that speaks volumes.

770m probably could handle pets but I haven't installed it. My game started to get a little sluggish after I added Uni so I lowered a few settings. Its playing beautifully on the 960 desktop smooth no stutter. I did not want to add mods to my laptop but I probably will to the desktop.

Right now on my laptop gt more issues with the sims 4 than 3
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I was looking at a better laptop to support my Sims 3 and all the expansions. I found this one and would like to know what some of you'll think about it. This 14" Alienware Laptop Computer is designed for high-quality gaming excellence. Made with top of the line parts this laptop exudes desktop power in an easily accessible size of 14 inches. Created for fast speed, the Intel Core i5-4200M will give you fun in less time. Immerse yourself in the game with 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M graphic card. This laptops exterior design does not skip a beat it is beautifully designed with the AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard, and the quick performing Multi-Touchpad with integrated scrolling and gestures.Windows® 8
    • Intel® Core™ i5-4200M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.1GHz)
    • Intel® HM87 Express Chipset
    • 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M Graphics
    • Hard Drive* 750GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    • 8GB Memory
    • AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard
    • Multi-Touchpad with integrated scrolling & gestures
    • 6-Cell Battery
    • Webcam Resolution: Full HD 2MP Camera with dual digital microphones
    • Bluetooth®
    this system should do fine for the game and all EPs if you wanted a better stronger option i would seek put clevo laptops they are considered the best (they use to make alienware's) their name brand is sager or just look for brand that is selling clevo options like here
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/search/

something else for proper gaming laptop try for i7 not i5 and of course the higher the card the better but its up to you if you want to max out on both. i myself did when i bought my clevo a year ago. laptops are not as strong as desktops so getting the best you can afford does make a difference for performance smoothness and lifespan but many people game with mid range gaming laptops and are just fine.