Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eric Lewis's mom just died and he is VERY happy

CodeCharmingCodeCharming Posts: 55 Member
edited April 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So there are some things I love about TS4, and then there are some things that I wish were there but I guess it's okay since they worked so hard to make smarter, emotional sims.

Then, this.
2z455xoJ.png

(EDIT: Image isn't showing up for some reason, so you can view the picture here: http://pasteboard.co/2z455xoJ.png )

You can see he's crying in grief and horror but hey, that's just an animation. Apparently those aren't as well connected to emotions as they should be. Tbf, once he did get over the joy of cheating on his wife in full (and disinterested) view of the rest of the family, his beloved mother's death hit him pretty hard. For 2 days, nearly all the Romance options were blocked so his new girlfriend had to settle for taking happy selfies and such with him.

Meanwhile, Alice Kim-Lewis's dad died the same day but since she didn't witness that death, she doesn't even seem to have the faintest clue she is now an orphan.
The first stage of grief, I suppose?

When they said sims would now be able to react to their environment, I didn't realize that meant they'd no longer be reacting to each other. :p
I can wait for toddlers and whatever else, I vote the next patch fixes the emotions system.
1. Edito ergo sum

Comments

• Options
    FrostAliasFrostAlias Posts: 150 Member
    Yeah, this is probably my main problem with the game. I think the emotions attached to something as significant as death should trump everything else. My dad died unexpectedly 3 days after my wedding, and my real-life version of the happy Just Married moodlet or whatever definitely didn't quash the grief I went through for the next several months.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Yeah, I wish some moodlets trumped others besides going for the whole whichever adds up the most regardless of which emotion it is. Or, really, at least give some of the ones with emotional traits a bigger impact on some things. For example, if gloomy sims don't just get randomly sad then happy after 2 seconds because the surroundings are pretty, but their sad moodlet trumps +1 and +2 moodlets since they're gloomy, etc.

It's always sorta funny when they don't notice their loved ones die, but kinda upsetting when you'd want a bigger impact...

tfw%20your%20kid%20is%20too%20busy%20playin%20games%20to%20see%20you%20die_zpshaiqes4n.png

The sim that died here, Danna, was the girl in the upper left's mother. Everyone in the house besides her and her brother was sad since they saw Danna die except for her own kids because they were both playing videogames... xD
    Despite the both of them having max friendship with their mother, none of them even mourned her grave when it was still around the house. Only Danna's brothers kept coming back to cry and mourn, really.
    "Smarter sims," more like ungrateful kids :'(
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    i really don't bother anymore with those "emotions" & if the reactions are appropriate or not
    until there is a major overhaul, it's all just bogus

& the sims themselves, i feel sorry for them,
    that their life is ruined if played as the game is now programmed

i stopped playing sims as i would normally do meantime months ago
    that you guys are playing families in this state of the game is beyond me,
    with those lacking reactions, lacking interactions, those erratic moodswings & additionally occasional removal of parts of family tree ...
    i don't want to worry because of a computer game

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    They are going towards to the more "realistic" route for this game. I can understand that they enable such things to happen. It's pretty common now, you know?
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited April 2015
    I hate how sims have no reaction to death. They don't notice or care unless they happen to be standing no more than a couple of feet away AND facing in the right direction at the time of the death. What are the chances that's going to happen unless you plan to kill a sim and make sure everyone is gathered 'round to watch?

If a household member dies I need all my sims in that household to know about it and be suitably upset regardless of where they happen to be at the time. I don't care if they are on the opposite side of the lot or even on a completely different lot when the death takes place, I need them to care.

And I don't want any +1 sad nonsense that's going to be overridden in two seconds by some nice wall decorations, I want a nice hefty sad moodlet. I would preferably like my sims to actually remember things in a way that you could see the sim thinking/talking about certain events wayyy later on through their thought/speech bubbles, but that's probably asking too much.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Jimil wrote: »
    They are going towards to the more "realistic" route for this game. I can understand that they enable such things to happen. It's pretty common now, you know?
    what is realistic about
    that sims don't talk to each other to tell the children, that their mother just died ?
    & that the children don't wonder at all what the urn in the living room or the grave in the backyard is doing & where their mother's gone ?
    even if people have a very bad relationship with their parents, they get affected by their death, they talk about it, get depressed or angry
    because death of any kind affects people negatively, if those people are only somewhat normal
    only crazy people are unaware, don't care, cry while happy & TS4 sims act on many levels just like crazy people do
    short attention span, constantly talking to everybody for hours, the drive to change places, talking to each other with the back turned, the drive to constantly tell jokes, obsessively washing hands, obsessively drinking, borderline moodswings, overall lack of awareness, only seconds of reaction or no reaction at all to life changing events, moods contradicting the character without any reason, add to that the constant grinning without any reason & a human would be diagnosed with severe psychological problems
    especially that idea with sadness without any reason, angriness without any reason, hapiness without any reason, even becoming focussed, becoming selfassured, confident without any reason are indications for psychological disorders & are not funny

i'd still say,
    those are the results, when devs set out to make a simulation of human interactions, add human emotions & find it laughable to ask a professional opinion about if what they plan to do is going to work out without problems - gameplay problems not technical problems
    probably the devs underestimate their own work & think what they're doing is just fun stuff - death by laughter, very funny cause sims are just pixels & vertices
    The Sims from the start were a dark game about the perils of life, human life & that means that it might be weird, but it still resembles how people's life indeed is
    the devs should take what they are designing with The Sims more serious - the game should be fun but there has to be a basis of what is normal for people, if that is lacking the result is not funny, it's grotesque - the most players don't want to play grotesque sims with weird behaviour, but expect normal human behaviour with some funny or grotesque moments

Cement wrote: »
    Yeah, I wish some moodlets trumped others besides going for the whole whichever adds up the most regardless of which emotion it is. Or, really, at least give some of the ones with emotional traits a bigger impact on some things. For example, if gloomy sims don't just get randomly sad then happy after 2 seconds because the surroundings are pretty, but their sad moodlet trumps +1 and +2 moodlets since they're gloomy, etc.

It's always sorta funny when they don't notice their loved ones die, but kinda upsetting when you'd want a bigger impact...
    it's funny in a grotesque way & you are unable to play any different, you have to play grotesque, this limits the gameplay severely

You can see he's crying in grief and horror but hey, that's just an animation. Apparently those aren't as well connected to emotions as they should be. ...

2z455xoJ.png
    yeah, completely unbalanced evaluation of events - mathematical not value oriented - a grave error in game design

i really don't understand HOW that could have been overlooked, those weird reactions & interactions of TS4 sims is the most apparent thing

• Options
    Jimil wrote: »
    what is realistic about
    that sims don't talk to each other to tell the children, that their mother just died ?
    & that the children don't wonder at all what the urn in the living room or the grave in the backyard is doing & where their mother's gone ?
    even if people have a very bad relationship with their parents, they get affected by their death, they talk about it, get depressed or angry
    because death of any kind affects people negatively, if those people are only somewhat normal

Heck, I wouldn't care if they felt happy so long as it made sense! In The Sims 2, when somebody your sim hated died, your sim would get a positive memory and sometimes a boost to their aspiration meter (which, face it, was a lot like emotions). This makes sense; if your mom was a horrible, abusive, vile human being, you may very well feel happy after she's gone. But when you adored your mom and she was your first best friend in the whole world, as in the case of Eric Lewis, that ought to hit you hard. Not just whatever moodlet wins out in a simple numbers game, as @Rukola_Schaaf pointed out.

1. Edito ergo sum
  • Options
    Heck, I wouldn't care if they felt happy so long as it made sense! In The Sims 2, when somebody your sim hated died, your sim would get a positive memory and sometimes a boost to their aspiration meter (which, face it, was a lot like emotions). This makes sense;

if your mom was a horrible, abusive, vile human being, you may very well feel happy after she's gone.

But when you adored your mom and she was your first best friend in the whole world, as in the case of Eric Lewis, that ought to hit you hard. Not just whatever moodlet wins out in a simple numbers game, as @Rukola_Schaaf pointed out.
    in case of people who are not close family & who didn't bring you up, in case of extended family & strangers it is rather normal to feel relieved when that person dies or satisfied if something happens to that person, happy only if you are really a vile person yourself :mrgreen:
    but in case of family members who did bring you up the thing is more complicated, only psychologically & sociologically very sick people are happy because a near family member has died, equal how abusive that person was & how much you hated that person - that's how it is in general in RL

but you are absolutely right
    in case of the death of an adored mother to be happy one has to be very very disturbed :confounded:

• Options
    monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    Agreed, OP. I really like the game but I think they need to work on the emotion system some more. Really I think the problem is how some of the moodlets are weighed. Things like being sad about a family member's death, being upset about cheating, and stuff that's pretty catastrophic should trump any happy emotions and bonuses to that your sim might have, right away.

That, and I really wish they'd get rid of the bonuses for having a good meal or a nicely decorated house. Most of the time those seem to boost whatever good emotion my sims might have over the bad which makes the game play really uneven. If they did just that, I think it would help quite a bit.
  • Options
    in case of people who are not close family & who didn't bring you up, in case of extended family & strangers it is rather normal to feel relieved when that person dies or satisfied if something happens to that person, happy only if you are really a vile person yourself :mrgreen:
    but in case of family members who did bring you up the thing is more complicated, only psychologically & sociologically very sick people are happy because a near family member has died, equal how abusive that person was & how much you hated that person - that's how it is in general in RL

I know someone whose mom sexually abused her since she was 2-3 years old and also pimped her out to people, and continued doing all this till she was 15-16 years old. Then when my friend tried to escape, her mom attempted to have her thrown into jail or committed to an asylum before she could tell anyone. I hadn't even thought there could be parents (moms!) who could do such a thing to their child, but after learning all this, honestly, I don't think my friend can be called sick for wishing the woman would just disappear off the face of the earth.

Even keeping aside that kind of nightmare, I see sims as a life simulator and yes, I do think it is generally horrible to be happy when someone dies but some people ARE horrible like that, so it would be okay if some sims were too...if it just "fit"! As of now, the evilest thing evil sims do is give good sims a negative moodlet. (-_-)
    1. Edito ergo sum
  • Options
    Agreed, OP. I really like the game but I think they need to work on the emotion system some more. Really I think the problem is how some of the moodlets are weighed. Things like being sad about a family member's death, being upset about cheating, and stuff that's pretty catastrophic should trump any happy emotions and bonuses to that your sim might have, right away.

That, and I really wish they'd get rid of the bonuses for having a good meal or a nicely decorated house. Most of the time those seem to boost whatever good emotion my sims might have over the bad which makes the game play really uneven. If they did just that, I think it would help quite a bit.

Yes. I think even if they want to continue with this mathematical system, why can't they set certain event moodlets to be like -60 or something? Sadness should be especially easy, because apparently it's not fatal, no matter how deep it gets.

1. Edito ergo sum
  • Options
    I know someone whose mom sexually abused her since she was 2-3 years old and also pimped her out to people, and continued doing all this till she was 15-16 years old. Then when my friend tried to escape, her mom attempted to have her thrown into jail or committed to an asylum before she could tell anyone. I hadn't even thought there could be parents (moms!) who could do such a thing to their child, but after learning all this, honestly, I don't think my friend can be called sick for wishing the woman would just disappear off the face of the earth.

Even keeping aside that kind of nightmare, I see sims as a life simulator and yes, I do think it is generally horrible to be happy when someone dies but some people ARE horrible like that, so it would be okay if some sims were too...if it just "fit"! As of now, the evilest thing evil sims do is give good sims a negative moodlet. (-_-)
    to wish that such a mother would disappear is different than to actually live through it

if you yourself are not already a vile person you will become one if you allow yourself to stoop down to a resentful behaviour
    that sort of imitated behaviour is what such a mother is not deserving from her children treated by her that badly
    bad behaviour is psychologically more desastrous to the person commiting it, some people just don't deserve to be rewarded by imitation

the best revenge is to treat the enemy well but distanced because you set yourself apart from that enemy in your very diferent, better life

to stick around & to treat the enemy in the same bad way as the enemy is treating you
    is pure approval & dedication of your own life to the ways of your enemy - it's failure

& yes, i wish too that in The Sims game really vile sims would be possible
    what we have now in TS4 is just crazy - sims chatting friendly together after they fighted in the previous encounter
    it might be acceptable as an exception but such happens rather as a rule in TS4

it is the normal behaviour in MySims though
    sims there can be very mean to each other just one moment away from a friendly chat, a joke, a loving hug even
    because none of those actions is of any consequence to the sims' inner life or relationships at all
    & maybe TS4 sims are based in such simple disconnected behaviour