Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Considering the Sims 4...

Just a few questions regarding the game that never get answered in reviews. One of the things in the series that has always bothered me is that you can't make Sims with different personalities; all Sims want to have friends, be popular, make lots of money, and be fit. Have they differentiated personalities to the point that Sims behave differently? For instance, if I make a reclusive bookworm who hates people, will he actually be happy staying in and ignoring social activities? If I want to make a hippie that doesn't care about money at all and will be just fine living in a shack with a guitar and hanging out at the park all day, can that happen, or is it something you have to force like in TS3?

Also, have they adjusted the time scale so that showers/cooking/travel etc. take appropriate amounts of time?

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    All sims behave differently and you can do whatever you want in the Sims 4.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    -_- DOn't trust everyone hun ;)

I wouldn't recommend it and even less so if you are playing for the personalities. The moods overwrite the traits completely so if your loner sim is happy then he will want to run around talking to everyone. The problem many people have is that these smarter sims are more robotic than any game before as they lost individuality for an emotions that changes every few seconds.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited April 2015
    Well, "loner" sims get tense around anyone they don't know, sometimes even when the strangers are just walking by.
    "Hot-headed" sims will randomly get angry.
    "Non-committal" sims constantly get tense when they're not switching careers or spouses.
    "Hates Children" sims will get tense around children and sometimes angry.
    "Gloomy" sims will randomly get sad and mope around the house, push around their food as they eat and want to call the "sadness hot-line".

Problem is they all act the same when feeling the same emotions. The traits do have some affect on random behavior but I've seen "hates children" sims get excited when their spouse tells them a baby is on the way. Happy sims mope around the same as a "gloomy" sim when they're sad, ect ect.

The traits will give them random "buffs" and affect how annoyed or how much fun they have with certain activities but outside of that they are all the same.

Not sure if I'm explaining this well but they seem to be... not "special" enough. I wish my gloomy sim would handle sadness differently than a sim who is normally "Happy" or "childish" and so on...

I don't mind how long cooking and showering take as I plan out what I will do ahead of time, but from what I remember they did tweak showering from what it was some months back. They fixed how fast sims eat (recently), but they still do have an issue of getting up and sitting back down in a chair next to them, or staring into space for a long time before continuing to eat.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    Ayumap wrote: »
    Well, "loner" sims get tense around anyone they don't know, sometimes even when the strangers are just walking by.
    "Non-committal" sims constantly get tense when they're not switching careers or spouses
    "Gloomy" sims will randomly get sad and mope around the house, push around their food as they eat and want to call the sadness hot-line".

Problem is they all act the same when feeling the same emotions. The traits do have some affect on random behavior but I've seen "hates" sims get excited when their spouse tells them a babies on the way, happy sims mope around the same as a "gloomy" sim when they're sad, ect ect.

The traits will give them random "buffs" and affect how annoyed or how much fun they have with certain activities but outside of that they are all the same.

Not sure if I'm explaining well but they seem to be, not "special" enough. I wish my gloomy sim would handle sadness differently than a sim who is normally "Happy" or "childish" and so on...

I don't mind how long cooking and showering takes as I plan out what I will do ahead, but from what I remember they did tweak showering from what it was some months back, they fixed how fast sims eat as well (recently) but they still do have an issue of getting up and sitting back down in a chair next to them, or staring into space for a long time before continuing to eat.

Perfect explanation :)
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    "Non-committal" sims constantly get tense when they're not switching careers or spouses
    "Gloomy" sims will randomly get sad and mope around the house, push around their food as they eat and want to call the sadness hot-line".

Problem is they all act the same when feeling the same emotions. The traits do have some affect on random behavior but I've seen "hates" sims get excited when their spouse tells them a babies on the way, happy sims mope around the same as a "gloomy" sim when they're sad, ect ect.

Not sure if I'm explaining well but they seem to be, not "special" enough. I wish my gloomy sim would handle sadness differently than a sim who is normally "Happy" or "childish" and so on...

I don't mind how long cooking and showering takes as I plan out what I will do ahead, but from what I remember they did tweak showering from what it was some months back, they fixed how fast sims eat as well (recently) but they still do have an issue of getting up and sitting back down in a chair next to them, or staring into space for a long time before continuing to eat.

Perfect explanation :)

Thank you. :) I wasn't sure if I was explaining it in a way that made sense.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2015
    The emotions are broken. The traits are there, but the Sims don't feel very different from each other. Even the Gurus are noticing it finally:

A lot of NPCs and core objects were taken away that were in past games. The careers, school, and aspirations are all scripted like an RPG game. The failure rate on anything is really low or non-existent. The worlds are small. Only thing going for it is the CAS which you can do for free with the demo. The building is missing the terrain and water tools.

It still takes forever to shower and eat. Toddlers are also still not in the game and the children still are culled for failing in school. Oh the culling system is broken too and is deleting played Sims with the recent patches. So I'd suggest enjoying the older Sims games until the bugs and glitches and missing content are worked out with this one.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    They really need to tweak the emotions and traits system, in fact, in all my years of playing The Sims games, I've felt like each Sim's personality was really just a carbon copy of a default personality. I hope they manage to make Sims actually have very notice-able personalities. You don't really know a Sim is gloomy except that they get Sad more than most Sims etc. But having things like upgrades on toilets buff a Sim's happiness and can get them from one emotion to another in just an instant.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The sims in Sims 4 all act the same, more so than any of the other sims in the series.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Scobre wrote: »
    The emotions are broken. The traits are there, but the Sims don't feel very different from each other. Even the Gurus are noticing it finally:

A lot of NPCs and core objects were taken away that were in past games. The careers, school, and aspirations are all scripted like an RPG game. The failure rate on anything is really low or non-existent. The worlds are small. Only thing going for it is the CAS which you can do for free with the demo. The building is missing the terrain and water tools.

It still takes forever to shower and eat. Toddlers are also still not in the game and the children still are culled for failing in school. Oh the culling system is broken too and is deleting played Sims with the recent patches. So I'd suggest enjoying the older Sims games until the bugs and glitches and missing content are worked out with this one.

I'n glad to read he said that. Maybe that means it might actually get looked into now. We've been telling them (devs) since the game came out and all we got was that they'd look into it. Maybe now they really will...

Wishful thinking.

Edit: Suddenly just had a bad feeling they'd put the traits in the hiring section (for social events) instead of actually fixing the way sims portray themselves... /shudders - I hope that won't be the fix. At least not the only one..

Also, it seems a bit more like Mr.Daniel is actually getting into playing the game he help create for the first time. I'm sure he's tried it before but I doubt it's been as in-depth as most of the community if he's just now realizing the downsides to hiring a caterer.

I'd be really happy if a lot of the devs spent more than a few hours actually playing the game. (Not to test something in particular) I mean actually playing the game to see how we all see it.

I'd really appreciate it.

I know I'm making an assumption that they don't or haven't really given their game a true play through. (I wouldn't be surprised, they do work on it and it can't be that enjoyable to "bring work home".) But in this case I find it to be very important. Playing the game with real intent would allow them to better understand where we're coming from.

I'm sure many of them do work hard and that's work I appreciate but the game is not functioning as advertised at the moment. (In many aspects) That's really doing them and us a disservice.
    2m60a6q.jpg
  • Options

I'n glad to read he said that. Maybe that means it might actually get looked into now. We've been telling them (devs) since the game came out and all we got was that they'd look into it. Maybe now they really will...

Wishful thinking.

Edit: Suddenly just had a bad feeling they'd put the traits in the hiring section (for social events) instead of actually fixing the way sims portray themselves... /shudders, I hope that won't be the fix.

Also, it seems a bit more like Mr.Daniel is actually getting into playing the game he help create for the first time? I'm sure he's tried it before but I doubt it's been as in-depth as most of the community if he's just now realizing the downsides to hiring a caterer.

I'd be really happy if a lot of the devs spent more than a few hours actually playing the game. (Not to test something in particular) Actually playing the game to see how we all see it.

I'd really appreciate it. I know I'm making an assumption that they don't or haven't really given there game a true play through. (I wouldn't be surprised, they do work on it and it can't be that enjoyable to "bring work home".) But in this case I find it to be very important. Playing the game with real intent would allow them to better understand where we're coming from.

I'm sure many of them do work hard and that's work I appreciate but the game is not functioning as advertised at the moment. (In many aspects)
    Yeah I'm glad he said it too and I'm gaining a lot of respect for him. He's been working on the series since the Sims 2 I think? It seems like the Gurus are getting into the game to recreate bugs that Simmers are experiencing which is nice. But yes I have bugged him a few times and he's been active in giving me a reply with some issues including the headaches I have experienced while playing the game. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. OP if you get cluster headaches, the UI, loading screen, and neighborhood map can make them worst. It would be cool if Gurus are actually playing the game I admit. I know that my friend that worked on Sims 2 said he played the game while working on it, so the Gurus could be playing the game still if they did back then. I don't really know either.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Wishful thinking.

Edit: Suddenly just had a bad feeling they'd put the traits in the hiring section (for social events) instead of actually fixing the way sims portray themselves... /shudders, I hope that won't be the fix.

Also, it seems a bit more like Mr.Daniel is actually getting into playing the game he help create for the first time? I'm sure he's tried it before but I doubt it's been as in-depth as most of the community if he's just now realizing the downsides to hiring a caterer.

I'd be really happy if a lot of the devs spent more than a few hours actually playing the game. (Not to test something in particular) Actually playing the game to see how we all see it.

I'd really appreciate it. I know I'm making an assumption that they don't or haven't really given there game a true play through. (I wouldn't be surprised, they do work on it and it can't be that enjoyable to "bring work home".) But in this case I find it to be very important. Playing the game with real intent would allow them to better understand where we're coming from.

I'm sure many of them do work hard and that's work I appreciate but the game is not functioning as advertised at the moment. (In many aspects)
    Yeah I'm glad he said it too and I'm gaining a lot of respect for him. He's been working on the series since the Sims 2 I think? It seems like the Gurus are getting into the game to recreate bugs that Simmers are experiencing which is nice. But yes I have bugged him a few times and he's been active in giving me a reply with some issues including the headaches I have experienced while playing the game. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. OP if you get cluster headaches, the UI, loading screen, and neighborhood map can make them worst. It would be cool if Gurus are actually playing the game I admit. I know that my friend that worked on Sims 2 said he played the game while working on it, so the Gurus could be playing the game still if they did back then. I don't really know either.

Yup, I really think it's very important that they do.(play the game) I'm happy to hear you've had some good experiences with him.

It really surprised me when we got the new UI for map views. So many people have complained of headaches from the load screens and it was an issue recognized by some devs (if I'm not mistaken) and yet we received a map menu that is more of the same...

Surely someone could have mentioned this to the people dealing with the ui... I hope they'll actually make changes so that people getting these migraines can have some peace while simming. I like it much better when they do more than "look into" things.
    2m60a6q.jpg
  • Options

Yup, I really think it's very important that they do.(play the game) I'm happy to hear you've had some good experiences with him.

It really surprised me when we got the new UI for map views. So many people have complained of headaches from the load screens and it was an issue recognized by some devs (if I'm not mistaken) and yet we received a map menu that is more of the same...

Surely someone could have mentioned this to the people dealing with the ui... I hope they'll actually make changes so that people getting these migraines can have some peace while simming. I like it much better when they do more than "look into" things.
    I hope so. I've never had this bad of migraines after playing Sims games. I like have to take many breaks while playing. So playing the Sims 2 game is more enjoyable for me for several reasons including not having the fear of getting migraines.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I hope so. I've never had this bad of migraines after playing Sims games. I like have to take many breaks while playing. So playing the Sims 2 game is more enjoyable for me for several reasons including not having the fear of getting migraines.

I don't blame you. I'm prone to painful headaches myself but I'm lucky that I do not get them at the same rate as many others here. I really hate websites with white backgrounds and tiny text for instance. Hurts my eyes more than my head though.

My mother suffers from chronic migraines so bad that she's had to go to the doctor. They say nothing is wrong despite testing, but have given her medicine to help.(She still gets them unfortunately) Anyway, I can sympathize enough to understand how much of an issue this is.

Games are for fun, players should not be experiencing real life pain because of UI.
    2m60a6q.jpg
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

Lets not forget that it actually adds 2 new loading screens. We have to wait for the map view to load. Then we have to wait for the world to load. I liked it better the way it was before, and this is coming from somone who never minded loading screens to begin with.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Darrett wrote: »
    all Sims want to have friends, be popular, make lots of money, and be fit.
    I don't think they do these anymore
    Have they differentiated personalities to the point that Sims behave differently?
    They do... but... to the point where the traits are utterly useless other than gaining skills faster. Only the emotions matter now.
    Also, have they adjusted the time scale so that showers/cooking/travel etc. take appropriate amounts of time?
    No. It's even worse lol.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member

I wouldn't recommend it and even less so if you are playing for the personalities. The moods overwrite the traits completely so if your loner sim is happy then he will want to run around talking to everyone. The problem many people have is that these smarter sims are more robotic than any game before as they lost individuality for an emotions that changes every few seconds.

I have found something that helps for me Bon.

When I decorate my sims houses now, I only pick objects that do not affect anything, nothing that makes sims flirty, happy and no environment bonus (unless they can be turned off). In my previous sims games, I wanted the best, the highest comfort, the best things for an environment score and whatnot. In this version, I do not.

I hated it when my sims would flip through emotions like crazy. Now, my gloomy traited sim stays gloomy instead of running around flipping around being gloomy to happy to confident back to gloomy then happy.

But good luck Bon. I ain't going to step back in the thread. Getting a bit too negative lately and I don't want the constant negative. It gets old.

*hugs*
  • Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    In the Sims 4 the sims have emotions that effect their attitudes, and traits determine compatibility as well as what a sim likes to do.
  • Options
    FleurkweenFleurkween Posts: 235 Member
    No. Don't buy it- at least not yet. I bought the collectors edition and I still regret it 7 months later. The emotions are too predictable and over the top. Not to mention the long list of missing features and endless loading screens. I'd wait for the price to go down before buying it.

I recommend the Sims 3.
    \cat%20with%20tea_zpsejebanah.jpg
  • Options
    jotodd328jotodd328 Posts: 45 Member
    Like mentioned above, one thing that really bugs me is how fast the emotions can change. My sim will be sad/angry/whatever then suddenly they'll do something that makes them happy and then a second later they'll be back to being sad/angry/whatever again. I guess in a way it's a reflection of RL...Imagine if you were sad about something and you started watching your favourite TV show to take your mind off it. Whilst watching, you might cheer up a little bit, but once it's over and you're thinking about whatever it was that upset you again, you're bound to be sad again.

I do enjoy the actions that come with each mood. Like when a Sim is embarrassed or sad and they want to hide from everyone or cry in bed. I lol'd the first time I saw the option to take an angry poop when a Sim is angry!

The emotions may not be 100% perfect but I still enjoy them none the less :)
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited April 2015
    I don't feel there have been defined "personalities" in the game since EA ditched the personality points in TS3 but then I've always been of the opinion that these often one dimensional "traits" do not equal a personality. Especially when a large number of those "traits" are often useless or only apply to one-off situations.

If you're looking for sims with personality, then I'd skip 4 and look at TS1 or TS2 instead.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »

I have found something that helps for me Bon.

When I decorate my sims houses now, I only pick objects that do not affect anything, nothing that makes sims flirty, happy and no environment bonus (unless they can be turned off). In my previous sims games, I wanted the best, the highest comfort, the best things for an environment score and whatnot. In this version, I do not.

I hated it when my sims would flip through emotions like crazy. Now, my gloomy traited sim stays gloomy instead of running around flipping around being gloomy to happy to confident back to gloomy then happy.

But good luck Bon. I ain't going to step back in the thread. Getting a bit too negative lately and I don't want the constant negative. It gets old.

*hugs*

I threw in mods to stop the Sims' environment from making them feel happy, and my Sims are much more dramatic now. I highly recommend that set (when MTS is back up).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    @Gruffman
    I've build two houses and actually didn't place any of the buff object but within minutes my sim went from energized to uncomfortable and right back to energized, all she did was eat and talk.

I'll eventually experiment again as I have it now, I might as well torment myself every now and then lol
  • Options
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    They really need to tweak the emotions and traits system, in fact, in all my years of playing The Sims games, I've felt like each Sim's personality was really just a carbon copy of a default personality. I hope they manage to make Sims actually have very notice-able personalities. You don't really know a Sim is gloomy except that they get Sad more than most Sims etc. But having things like upgrades on toilets buff a Sim's happiness and can get them from one emotion to another in just an instant.

It's just much worse in SIms 4, a small but annoying thing is how every sim makes their bed, in Sims 3, a neat sim would happily clean up always but not a slob. Now everyone is just exactly the same no matter what you do, my sim hasn't even been rejected by her meet and flirt within seconds :/
  • Options

I threw in mods to stop the Sims' environment from making them feel happy, and my Sims are much more dramatic now. I highly recommend that set (when MTS is back up).
    Yeah that mod and the smarter Sims mod are wonderful to use. The smarter baby care mod was nice. I don't know why but the patch yesterday seemed to make the Sims not care about their babies again which is annoying. I guess I'll have to use the smarter baby care mod again.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »

It's just much worse in SIms 4, a small but annoying thing is how every sim makes their bed, in Sims 3, a neat sim would happily clean up always but not a slob. Now everyone is just exactly the same no matter what you do, my sim hasn't even been rejected by her meet and flirt within seconds :/
    You know since you mentioned it I just noticed that as well, Sometimes they all talk or laugh to themselves and that creepy smile like they are some ventriloquist dummy.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen