Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Careful if you're using TSR

Just wanted to give everyone that uses TSR a head's up. I was just browsing around over there looking at what other simmers have created and such. I don't have an account so I wasn't planning on downloading anything from there... I was just looking around. I clicked on a house that was uploaded there and had my computer taken over by a Trojan virus called "Antivirus System Pro". Generated annoying pop up messages every 30 seconds warning me that my computer was under attack and, of course, the only way to solve it was to buy their software to clean it up. Finding their software was made real easy too. They highjacked every webpage I tried to visit and redirected me back to their sales page. I found a way to remove it, but it took about two hours of my life, and gaming time away from me, so I just wanted to warn everyone else out there that may be visiting around. Be careful!

It's a shame some people find enjoyment messing with our computers like that. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    Vietgirl_xoxoVietgirl_xoxo Posts: 7,142 Member
    edited June 2009
    omg yeah, I uploaded something from there once and it gave me a freakin virus on my computer! D:
    Actually is was on my old computer though.
  • Options
    SimposterSimposter Posts: 306 New Member
    edited June 2009
    It really bums me out because I used to enjoy the TSR challenges that they put out. Now, of course, I'll never visit their site again. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah its a bad site, and plus, the downloading and all that stuff to get some sim or clothes from the site..is like confusing.
  • Options
    tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm gunna sound dumb, but what is TSR?
  • Options
    JesusFreakPaul90JesusFreakPaul90 Posts: 249 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The Sims Resource.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    its a sims 2 site called the sims resource

its like a site like this one.
  • Options
    DemintiaDemintia Posts: 277 Member
    edited June 2009
    It is highly possible that one of TSR's adverts caused the issue. I got a similar virus several times from Gaia Online (It even disabled my own firewall and virus catching programs) before I ended up having to browse the site with full security on.

I haven't browsed TSR since early Sims days, before they reverted to an 80% content requires payment. Back when it had a mall type feel.
  • Options
    SimanthaRatSimanthaRat Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I was a Select Artist for TSR for a long time and one thing you could count on, as a Member, was the safety of downloading content there.

I am going to agree with the poster that suggested an ad threw your virus in. TSR has a LOT of checks on its custom content. I am sorry you got the virus.
  • Options
    mrstank30mrstank30 Posts: 146 Member
    edited June 2009
    I have downloaded many items from TSR with no problems, fortunately, but I am glad to hear the warning. I hate battling viruses.
  • Options
    digitaldoodlebugdigitaldoodlebug Posts: 70 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i used to use it for sims2 stuff, but switched over to modthesims they have a section for sims3 now, and have GREAT quality stuff
  • Options
    VenusVenus Posts: 269 New Member
    edited June 2009
    TSR is a bad site in general. I remember reading about an uproar that they went into a member's account and put up everything of his up download after that said person took off all his downloadable stuff for his own reasons. They even changed his password.

So obviously the owners there aren't that great either if they get mad if a member takes off his hundreds of downloadables.
  • Options
    ManderMurduhManderMurduh Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited June 2009
    I used to use that when I first started playing the sims 2. I stopped because my computer was murdered by the viruses it gave me. ;/

XD
    jrbac2.gif
    Origin ID: xoScoochAMooch Feel free to add me!
    Check out my simblr for gameplay pictures! https://leelasims.tumblr.com/

I love BTS and Ariana Grande.
  • Options
    YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited June 2009
    That same virus has been passed through Facebook, My Space, and a host of other places. One person even claimed to have gotten it from a scrapbooking site I co-own but since she was the only one we heard of and we had our web guy pull the site and go over everything w/ a fine tooth comb and he found NOTHING, I don't think it was actually our site. Not sure how those things work tho.

I used to use TSR as my main source for TS2 Content and I NEVER had a problem with anything like that and to be honest, there for a while, I had let my AV proggy expire and I was a bad computer crash waiting for a place to happen! Don't be sure it is TSR...it could have been an ad or something that you picked up somewhere else.

Sorry you got zapped tho. From what I hear, that is a particularly nasty one.
  • Options
    maddiebellamaddiebella Posts: 392 New Member
    edited June 2009
    yeah i got a trojan virus a long time ago and my mom thought it was from looking at YKNOW! because of the name. i was offended. a simple system restore did the trick though
  • Options
    mmmcheezy225mmmcheezy225 Posts: 631 Member
    edited June 2009
    Everytime I downloaded from TSR, there have been trojans in my downloads. In fact, one anti-TSR quoted AND linked (insert TSR owner's name here)'s confirmation on this rumor, saying that they only put it in "So that if you have an issue with one of the downloads, we know you're an actual TSR user and not a 'pirate'."

So I seriously don't recommend downloading from there. And even if there weren't trojans, almost all the decent stuff on there are pay.
  • Options
    BabydydymonBabydydymon Posts: 32 New Member
    edited June 2009
    what is TSR??
  • Options
    mmmcheezy225mmmcheezy225 Posts: 631 Member
    edited June 2009
    what is TSR??

The Sims Resource
  • Options
    ManderMurduhManderMurduh Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited June 2009
    what is TSR??

Maybe if you read over the first page you would of noticed someone asked that already and someone else explained. :roll: :lol:
    jrbac2.gif
    Origin ID: xoScoochAMooch Feel free to add me!
    Check out my simblr for gameplay pictures! https://leelasims.tumblr.com/

I love BTS and Ariana Grande.
  • Options
    EpsimEpsim Posts: 22 New Member
    edited June 2009
    That money-grubbing site TSR should be completely avoided to begin with. ModTheSims has better stuff and its all for free. It has a much more open and friendly feel to it as well.
  • Options
    Mondain38Mondain38 Posts: 235 Member
    edited April 2010
    Simposter wrote:
    It's a shame some people find enjoyment messing with our computers like that. :cry:

It's not so much that some people "find enjoyment messing with our computers"; they do this out of their love and devotion to their god. And just who or what is their god? Their god is the Almighty Dollar! That's right, some people infect our computers with these pieces of malware in order to make money! You see, the very *purpose* of that virus you got, which was a rogue security program, is to scam victims into paying the program's author!

And, as you've observed, most people these days are getting infected by malware via poisoned ads. A poisoned ad is a Web ad that has a script which tries to exploit a vulnerability (such as a browser vulnerability) in order to then download some malware to your machine. Because money is *such* a powerful motivator, we'll be seeing more and more of these poisoned ads on more and more Websites... until finally, one day, everybody will have had enough of these poisoned ads. On that day, Websites all over the Internet will go from being ad-supported to being subscription-supported :-( What this will mean is that, from then on, most Websites will have only TWO pages open to the non-paying public: the front page and the Subscription Sign-up Page. We would have to pay for the Internet on an a-la-carte basis! Just imagine having to pay one subscription for Mod the Sims, another subscription for TSR, still a another subscription for THIS site, yet another subscription for XM Sims, etc. This would get really expensive, really quickly. For example, if I frequently go to 10 Sims 3 Websites, and I have a $10 per month subscription for each, then I'd be paying $100 per month!

And rogue security programs aren't the only malware we can get from poisoned ads. We can also get the types of malware that turn our PC's into zombies and then force them to join "botnets". Look up the terms "zombie PC" and "botnet" on Google to find out what these mean. A botnet owner can make money by renting his botnet out to bad people who want to use it.

The lesson here is: whenever you browse through ad-laden Websites, such as TSR, turn your browser security settings up as high as possible. That way, your PC won't be so likely to fall victim to poisoned ads. Also, keep all of your third-party Internet software such as Adobe Flash and Adobe Acrobat up-to-date.

Yes, I wrote this post because of personal experience. On at least THREE separate occasions, poisoned ads have infected my computer, and all of this occurred between mid-January and April 1 of this year! I got my first poisoned-ad-related infection from an ad on the Star Wars Wikia site ("Wookieepedia"). This particular invasion was a rogue security program from the same family as the one that struck this thread's original poster. It was called "Antivirus Live", and it took me HOURS to get rid of this darn thing! Antivirus Live was preventing me from running *any* executable file! When I'd try to run an executable, I would get a dialog box reading: "Application cannot be executed. The file whatever.exe is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus program now?". The second infection occurred on the Space Quest Wikia site, on February 7 of this year. This time, I was infected by another rogue security program; in this case it was "Vista Antispyware 2010". This nasty piece of work actually broke my computer's ability to run .exe files! I had to go into the Windows Registry to repair my PC's ability to run .exe files! The third infection happened on April 1, when I visited XM Sims. This time, it was one of those zombie-making pieces of malware that got me. Fortunately, I was able to remove that before anyone could co-opt my computer into a botnet!
  • Options
    Hellz_AngelHellz_Angel Posts: 1,694 Member
    edited April 2010
    Being a member(even when I was a non-member) I've never had a problem with TSR. I've gotten worse things from online bridal stores and social networking sites (ie myyearbook, myspace, tagged, facebook, etc)...and spamming pop ups until my pc-cilin kicks them out. I think people just come across malware adds like you do anywhere on the internet. Also, Ive seen MTS mentioned here...but guess what Im a user that cant use MTS because of the way my files lumped together during installation. So all their mods and custom content are null and void for me. Anywho, I think people take the p*i*s*s out on TSR, because it's easy. I could easily say the same thing about all the ******** social networking sites...i have PAGES of bad reports (prevented of course) that all come from social networking sites. I've only had one warning on TSR....ever. Again thats just my opinion.
    <3 JD & LC 3-20-13 <3
  • Options
    dolphinz2121dolphinz2121 Posts: 3,949 Member
    edited April 2010
    Mondain - Shame you wasted your breath on an already dead thread. :lol:
  • Options
    CloverStarDropperCloverStarDropper Posts: 1,873 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Wait, does TSR make you pay? :shock:
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited April 2010
    TSR has both Free and subscription content
  • Options
    MalteseloverMalteselover Posts: 14
    edited April 2010
    OMIGOSH! The same thing happened to me!!!!! I had do re-format my whole computer!!! It was miserable!

-Malteselover