Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's up with this crap 40$ Expansion pack?

I thought the Ambitions pack was a little pricey just for some new interactive jobs (Especially because the Ghost hunter profession [The only reason I wanted the pack] was bugged and you couldn't even progress in it past a certain point). But FORTY dollars? For THREE new interactive jobs. What kind of crap is this? I've spent a lot of money on DLC before, but why should I purchase a game costing more than sixty dollars, and then turn around and spend another forty on a DLC that gives only three new jobs, that you can interact with. While i'm sure this will get flamed, the people who have the mindset this an okay thing to do, is why DLC is so petty, and so expensive. It's crap. I'm not a hobo, i'm not broke. If I really wanted I could waste the money on it, but it isn't right that so much corporate greed should be looked over.

"Oh, a new DLC that give's three new interactive jobs, the price is forty dollars? SURE take my money and keep selling it at such a high price". It's pure idiocy. Glad there's the money back guarantee. I'll just buy it later at the price it should be at from a third party. EA sucks too much.

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    The Sims 4 and its expansions, stuff packs, and game packs are worth the price no matter what. ;)
  • Options
    theonetheonlyjdbtheonetheonlyjdb Posts: 32 Member
    I think it is one of the most charming expansion packs released in a long time. I like the fact that they have gone to do three really fleshed out careers instead of the multiple that are hit of miss.

I would love the opportunity to visit the work sites out of work hours to interact with your colleagues more.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    There's 4 jobs plus the fact you can have any kind of retail business. I'm sorry you feel ripped off, that's how I felt with sims 3s ep. But I feel like I got my money's worth with GTW.
  • Options
    DonnieTheDoomDonnieTheDoom Posts: 12 New Member
    > @theonetheonlyjdb said:
    > I think it is one of the most charming expansion packs released in a long time. I like the fact that they have gone to do three really fleshed out careers instead of the multiple that are hit of miss.
    >
    > I would love the opportunity to visit the work sites out of work hours to interact with your colleagues more.

What? Pretty much the last sentence is what is say, what for.
    Can't you interact with colleagues out of work hours anyways?
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    There is a lot more to GWT then 3 new careers.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    ericbatchelderericbatchelder Posts: 734 Member
    WolfEyes wrote: »

I'm with you, WolfEyes. There is a ton of new stuff and another town AND you can own a business, AND you can go shopping, etc. I think it's well worth it.

On a side not, I know I am gonna take a lot of flak for it, but can we all stop saying "plum"? It was cute the first day, but...
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member

I'm with you, WolfEyes. There is a ton of new stuff and another town AND you can own a business, AND you can go shopping, etc. I think it's well worth it.

On a side not, I know I am gonna take a lot of flak for it, but can we all stop saying "plum"? It was cute the first day, but...

"Plum" is the forum censor...
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    RadprofileRadprofile Posts: 161 Member
    [quote="DonnieTheDoom;826265"but why should I purchase a game costing more than sixty dollars, and then turn around and spend another forty on a DLC that gives only three new jobs, that you can interact with. [/quote]

You should not, if that's your concern, avoid it, but considering the "story" of The Sims, or just looking back to The Sims 3, I don't know why you pretend to believe this could change. Base game + Expansion packs, stuff packs and anything else pack is the way The Sims games works, so maybe it wasn't a good idea to buy the game? (in case you already have it) If you are someone who don't like this kind of "business strategies", is kinda odd you got the game, is not a secret that this has been the way the franchise works, this is not new.

Is this fair? probably not, all depends to whom you ask.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    For me, I don't think it's worth 40 dollars either so I bought it on sale. I like that sims can get sick, photography, and the baking skill. (Not that pleased with the way business ultimately turned out). To me, those things alone weren't worth the 40 dollar price tag, so I don't think anyone's missing much unless they really like most of what the pack has to offer.

I'm curious to see what the next ep or gp will be about.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options

LOL! You thought people were actually typing plum?! I'm sorry but that pretty funny. :D
  • Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    You are woefully misinformed if you think three new careers is all this EP has to offer. You are also woefully misinformed if you think this is DLC. This is an expansion pack which is different from your regular run of the mill DLC packs. If you had bothered to read anything about GTW, you'd know that all three new careers come with completely new work-related venues and every career is completely unique from anything that's ever been done before. The three new careers are so much more detailed and immersive than any of the TS3 Ambitions careers.

On top of that, we have a new Baking skill, Photography skill and the ability to run our own businesses. The new businesses combined with the new skills allow you to run your own bakery or photography studio.

This expansion is basically two expansions in one (Ambitions and Open for Business) and it's about ten dollars cheaper than just Ambitions alone was so I really don't see what your problem is with GTW.

Not that I'm saying you have to buy it. You don't have to spend money on anything you don't want to spend your money on, that's perfectly fine, but you can't exactly call something garbage when you clearly know very little about it.
  • Options
    You are woefully misinformed if you think three new careers is all this EP has to offer. You are also woefully misinformed if you think this is DLC. This is an expansion pack which is different from your regular run of the mill DLC packs. If you had bothered to read anything about GTW, you'd know that all three new careers come with completely new work-related venues and every career is completely unique from anything that's ever been done before. The three new careers are so much more detailed and immersive than any of the TS3 Ambitions careers.

On top of that, we have a new Baking skill, Photography skill and the ability to run our own businesses. The new businesses combined with the new skills allow you to run your own bakery or photography studio.

This expansion is basically two expansions in one (Ambitions and Open for Business) and it's about ten dollars cheaper than just Ambitions alone was so I really don't see what your problem is with GTW.

Not that I'm saying you have to buy it. You don't have to spend money on anything you don't want to spend your money on, that's perfectly fine, but you can't exactly call something garbage when you clearly know very little about it.
    Preach it.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I thought the Ambitions pack was a little pricey just for some new interactive jobs (Especially because the Ghost hunter profession [The only reason I wanted the pack] was bugged and you couldn't even progress in it past a certain point). But FORTY dollars? For THREE new interactive jobs. What kind of crap is this? I've spent a lot of money on DLC before, but why should I purchase a game costing more than sixty dollars, and then turn around and spend another forty on a DLC that gives only three new jobs, that you can interact with. While i'm sure this will get flamed, the people who have the mindset this an okay thing to do, is why DLC is so petty, and so expensive. It's crap. I'm not a hobo, i'm not broke. If I really wanted I could waste the money on it, but it isn't right that so much corporate greed should be looked over.

"Oh, a new DLC that give's three new interactive jobs, the price is forty dollars? SURE take my money and keep selling it at such a high price". It's pure idiocy. Glad there's the money back guarantee. I'll just buy it later at the price it should be at from a third party. EA sucks too much.
    This isn't DLC it's an expansion pack. DLC is a Gamepack big difference.

This EP isn't just about careers it offers more like aliens,an alien world,photography,a new easy listening station,a new neighborhood and a chance for our sims to shop at npc run stores. And then there is the new cas assets with new makeups,hairs,tattoos etc. I love that beanie hat.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 and its expansions, stuff packs, and game packs are worth the price no matter what. ;)
    Nice Easter Avatar.
  • Options
    lizziebeth0890lizziebeth0890 Posts: 88 Member

This isn't DLC it's an expansion pack. DLC is a Gamepack big difference.

This EP isn't just about careers it offers more like aliens,an alien world,photography,a new easy listening station,a new neighborhood and a chance for our sims to shop at npc run stores. And then there is the new cas assets with new makeups,hairs,tattoos etc. I love that beanie hat.

I think the cas parts were great too! I love the beanie and some of the new female hairs are the cutest hairs yet
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    550 posts posted and you didn't know this was the censor? You must be very polite. I don't think I even made it to 10 posts before I got censored.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    "This isn't DLC it's an expansion" . You do know what DLC stands for right? Downloadable content. Whether its a stuff pack, or 'expansion'. It's Downloadable Content. (DLC). That kind of made me laugh. A lot. Also 'plum' is the censor word on this site.
  • Options
    Have a good day Simmers, off to collect some eggs with the kids!
  • Options
    mariesummersmariesummers Posts: 598 Member
    "This isn't DLC it's an expansion" . You do know what DLC stands for right? Downloadable content. Whether its a stuff pack, or 'expansion'. It's Downloadable Content. (DLC). That kind of made me laugh. A lot. Also 'plum' is the censor word on this site.

Cat is right. Dlc adds small things and EP's add a whole bunch of things. Dlc's can only be purchased online where as EP's can be purchased in store and online. There is a big difference comparing the two.
  • Options
    stewielover1992stewielover1992 Posts: 308 Member
    Wait a few years or months and wait for the prices to drop. Most of the expansion packs I got for the sims 3 were under 10 bucks by the time I got them. I'd say most of them weren't worth more 15 dollars anyway.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    The most work has gone into the scientist career, if you ask me. Sad, that i normally don't play this way.
    I bought this pack for the retail aspect, but it's pretty bugged and dumbed down from OFB.
  • Options
    There are DLCs that have more things than a base game. There are expansion packs that have hardly anything. It's content that you download, which is why it has the fancy well thought up name, downloadable content. So you know, brain power and stuff. Life is easier when you use it. I've seen 'expansion' packs host entire worlds on games, I've seen DLC do it. I've seen DLC add hardly anything to a game, I've seen 'expansion' packs do it. If you pay money for it, then download/install to whatever. It's content, you've downloaded. (DLC) Some times I don't mind meeting such dull people, but I have to insist you use your brains some. OR don't it doesn't matter either way. Just a tip.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member

I paid $29.99 for mine on Amazon with free 2 day shipping. Always check there first.
  • Options
    ezeliastarsongezeliastarsong Posts: 799 Member
    edited April 2015
    I couldn't agree more. This EP is expensive. But take a few things here into consideration.

I remember Sims 1 EP's being 20 bucks, and Sims 2 ones going for 30, but you know what? They were chock full of new items, interactions and CAS stuff! I had so much fun and kept looking forward to the new EPs and couldn't stop playing, making new Sims, giving them new stuff. But that's marketing for you. Think about it. Sims 1 NEVER had SPs. That didn't start until Sims 2. More and more kept coming until the end of that certain series. EA thought that they could get away with Sims 3, selling a lot of stuff that came in previous packs through the store an got greedy. Yeah, they did that with Sims 2, but it wasn't so ridiculous and you could pick what you wanted in your game. Sims 3, was either a whole set, a new world, some even costing more than an EP or a SP with little provided. Stuff packs for 20 bucks wasn't bad, but half the items weren't even interactive and left us quite disappointed.

But seeing how Sims 4 is shifting gears back now, and actually seem more promising like Sims 2, I'd say the 40 bucks is worth it. Could they sell it for less? Oh yeah. Are they going to? No, but waiting for sales seems to be more of the smarter route than just having EA take your money right at the start. Limited editions? Ha! Not so limited. Origin was having a sale for the base game and the outdoor stuff for 50% off.

Can it wait? Yes; it's not going anywhere for a long time. I'm trying my best to wait, especially seeing and reading about so many bugs and glitches. So, again, let's look at how Sims 4 is going back to its original Simmy roots, and hopefully won't make us regret buying it or falling for SPs like Sims 3 and kicking ourselves in the head later for it, I believe it's worth waiting a while for.
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    I've been very critical of EA in the past, but any company, even EA, has a right to sell their products at WHATEVER price they want to. If they wanted to release the EP for $99.99, then they have that right. You have the right not to buy. What you don't have the right to is to set the price of someone else's work. Otherwise, I'd tell you to stop being greedy and come over to my house which needs cleaning for $0.25 an hour. And no, there are no breaks.