Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My experience running a bakery so far

Count me in on the people that love the expansion. I have played a little of the scientist and detective careers which I enjoyed, and will get back to at some point.

The big thing for me, that I was looking he most forward to was the retail aspect, and I have been sucked right in. I was a bit frustrated at first, because I had a "story" planned out in my head. I made a brother/sister household, with her being my baker, and him my gardener. I bought the cheapest free lot on Oasis springs, and built nothing on it. I then bought their store lot, and made a tiny little bakery, with 2 of those display cases, and a kitchen/bare bones living area in the basement. I did also get the cupcake machine right away, which IMO is necessary. Many of teh new recipes are made only with it, and it is faster than the stoves recipes, so it takes less time to bake stock. You can restock sold items without havng to bake them again, and they will be the same quality as the original item. But especially right now, where I am still skilling up my baker, I want to restock this way as much as possible. The only cheat I used was debug to get the plants rather than going out to harvest them. But I only got the gatherable ones from debug, and used no money cheats. I planned on selling both the baked goods and my harvestables as stock in my bakery.

And that is where I got frustrated at first. Beacause my sim had no baking skill, her items sold for very little, and I lost money when I opened he store. So I changed the story a bit in my head, and sold the produce via my inventory, as if my Sims were supplying other restaurants and bakeries while they get their store off the ground.

Now that my baker is at level 6, I am just barely turning a profit, but I can see where when I get a bit higher skilled, the profits will come much more easily. My employees are getting better at their jobs, and are slacking off less. I did install the "no musical chairs/group chat" mod, which seems to make it easier for them to answer customers questions.

I can't wait to have enough extra funds to renovate a bit more, and create a living area on an upper floor that is much nicer than what my sims have now.

Even though my sims never go to their home lot, their friends still call and ask if they can handg out, and they can invite friends to their current lot. I don't get people showing up at my door though without calling (which I actually prefer anyway). And you can pay bills from your phone without returning to your home lot.

Overall, I am having a blast with my bakery. There are a few things I wish were different, like my customers siting down and eating their purchases, but it not enough to take away my fun. If you want to run a bakery, I would definitely recommend either skilling up before opeing one, or having another icome source (regular in gamejob, cheats, partner sims with job, whatever works for your story.)

Comments

• Options
    xBlackDragon7xxBlackDragon7x Posts: 173 Member
    so true i'm really tempted to cheat but i don't want to so it's tough
  • Options
    dnmartyndnmartyn Posts: 282 Member
    It has been really hard to resist cheating, I am so happy it is getting easier. I hope to have enough perk points soon to buy that "sure sale" bonus, hopefully that will make the selling process faster per sim.
  • Options
    RyckRyck Posts: 214 Member
    Loving the bakery as well as the other jobs too. I agree it would also be nice if the customers would dine in the bakery as well. It really is strictly a retail system on the lot it seems. You can't eat what you buy in a bakery until you get home. Hopefully , when and if they add working restaurants, the bakery/café combination can be an option with selling and serving baked goods.
  • Options
    ant_pouça_atkant_pouça_atk Posts: 32 Member
    you should have one of your sims level up in the painting skill, then hang their work on the walls and list them for sale. they're a nice profit and can supplement your bakery
  • Options
    isabela3105isabela3105 Posts: 1 New Member
    Until this post I thought that sims could eat in the bakery, and was wondering why my costumers weren't sitting down and eating. Thanks for letting me know! ~♥
  • Options
    ZoeSilvermystZoeSilvermyst Posts: 2 New Member
    edited April 2015
    Saw this thread via Twitter (Thanks Graham!), and now I have to try it! The Rags to Riches bakery challenge! I love it. ♥

Great story, btw. I too have been dabbling in the other careers, and the new photography skill (much to the annoyance of my few Twitter followers :p hashtag annoying video game screenshot spam)

But I looooved retail in Open for Business, and I've been meaning to start a business, so starting a new family to live right on the lot sounds like a great way to go.

Edit: there we go. The heart emoticon was causing the rest of my post to vanish O.o
  • Options
    hearmeoutxhearmeoutx Posts: 84 Member
    you should have one of your sims level up in the painting skill, then hang their work on the walls and list them for sale. they're a nice profit and can supplement your bakery

That is what I did for my first retail business. My painter had maxed out the skill and would create excellent and masterpieces all the time. They were a great way to earn some extra money with a business that otherwise might not have been profitable.
  • Options
    qrlcodeqrlcode Posts: 532 Member
    I've been selling kids' toys in the bakery while leveling up on baking skill. It's actually annoying how well the stuffed animals sell vs. baked goods. Just a warning, though, that everyone will try and put away the little toys in a toybox if you're also selling those.
  • Options
    PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    I have a couple where the husband is going through the detective job, and the wife wants to open a bakery. She is working in the business field meantime, and I am slowly skilling her up.
  • Options
    Fragl120Fragl120 Posts: 19 New Member
    > @dnmartyn said:

> Now that my baker is at level 6, I am just barely turning a profit, but I can see where when I get a bit higher skilled, the profits will come much more easily. My employees are getting better at their jobs, and are slacking off less. I did install the "no musical chairs/group chat" mod, which seems to make it easier for them to answer customers questions.

:O Where might I find said mod? :)
  • Options
    Moonspinner1949Moonspinner1949 Posts: 40 New Member
    I am still on the 100 baby challenge so even though I have loaded up the Go To Work, I have not tried any of the new careers or tried my hand at my Sim owning a business. I remember the Open for Business in Sims2 and I must admit I didn't much like it. It was just too much work and hard to master. I have read the instructions about opening your own business in Go To Work and it sounds a whole lot like Open for Business so I don't know if I'll tackle that aspect of the expansion pack or not. I would love to have an art gallery and sell my Sims paintings. She is already creating Masterpieces, but unfortunately she is the baby momma and soon to be an elder and her younger daughter takes over, maybe when I have to move her out of the main house I'll open up an art gallery for her to sell her paintings in her "old age".
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Just wish we could turn down the number of visitors. My bakery go to a point I had to ring 10 costumers at the same time lol. And only one employee and having to restock
  • Options
    dnmartyndnmartyn Posts: 282 Member
    Fragl120 wrote: »
    > @dnmartyn said:

> Now that my baker is at level 6, I am just barely turning a profit, but I can see where when I get a bit higher skilled, the profits will come much more easily. My employees are getting better at their jobs, and are slacking off less. I did install the "no musical chairs/group chat" mod, which seems to make it easier for them to answer customers questions.

:O Where might I find said mod? :)

@Fragl120 I found it on modthesims.info
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=541132
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I couldn't get the bakery to work, maybe the back of the counter needs to be available, I have it against the wall so they wouldn't go behind it. What are you supposed to do with the refrigerators? I don't know.
  • Options
    FizzstixFizzstix Posts: 990 Member
    > @catitude5 said:
    > I couldn't get the bakery to work, maybe the back of the counter needs to be available, I have it against the wall so they wouldn't go behind it. What are you supposed to do with the refrigerators? I don't know.

I don't know what to do either. I put in 2 refrigerated display cases, but I can't figure out how to stock them.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    For the lice cold fridge, set your things for sale before you put them in it. You can drag things to it just like a regular fridge, or open it and put things in the inventory panel.
  • Options
    panamakirapanamakira Posts: 120 Member
    I had to fire my worker because I was losing money but you're right. Opening a bakery when you're baking skill is low is pretty tough because the quality of items will match your skill. I need to set up a garden too so I can make the other recipes.

I know you can live in your business lot but can you sell your home lot and just crash in your business lot? I want to spend 100% of the time on my bakery but it's tough having to move back and forth. Also I made 4 sims to manage that turned out to be too much.
  • Options
    panamakirapanamakira Posts: 120 Member
    edited April 2015
    Ryck wrote: »
    Loving the bakery as well as the other jobs too. I agree it would also be nice if the customers would dine in the bakery as well. It really is strictly a retail system on the lot it seems. You can't eat what you buy in a bakery until you get home. Hopefully , when and if they add working restaurants, the bakery/café combination can be an option with selling and serving baked goods.

I had some customers eat in my bakery when I set up a table with chairs. Another thing I tried doing is like "samples" of the baked goods (I just made some muffins and don't put them for sale) and some of the Sims will start eating in the bakery. I like that.
  • Options
    gooseman1986xgooseman1986x Posts: 2 New Member
    the best way that i have found to run a bakery and i can bring in literately 100k a day or more!

level up a sim within the scientist career. when they have the cloning machine, build your bakery, make sure you have all the ingredients for ambrosia, and create ONE. put it on the cloning machine. and clone it as many times as you want.

stick them for sale with 100% price markup. they sell for approx 12k a time.

HUGE profit, and no restocking costs!

yesterdays bakery for me made 82k, with 800 costs!
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Sounds cool

I still need to do retail
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    kaylade5154kaylade5154 Posts: 144 Member
    > @gooseman1986x said:
    > the best way that i have found to run a bakery and i can bring in literately 100k a day or more!
    >
    > level up a sim within the scientist career. when they have the cloning machine, build your bakery, make sure you have all the ingredients for ambrosia, and create ONE. put it on the cloning machine. and clone it as many times as you want.
    >
    > stick them for sale with 100% price markup. they sell for approx 12k a time.
    >
    > HUGE profit, and no restocking costs!
    >
    > yesterdays bakery for me made 82k, with 800 costs!

wow, thats a pretty good strategy, vs mine when all i make is 9k :'(
  • Options
    kaylade5154kaylade5154 Posts: 144 Member
    Running a bakery is pretty hard, i had my sim as a teen practice a whole lot till she got to level 9 and i built and opened my bakery
    firstly i have to keep firing workers, the ones i get are always on their phone and take forever to ring up customers therefore i have to ring up, talk,restock,clean all alone. and secondly my food is all excellent yet i barely make profit
  • Options
    gooseman1986xgooseman1986x Posts: 2 New Member
    dont ever rely on your staff to ring them up. i gave that up, and i get them to clean and answer questions. i rely on sims i control to ring them up!

Thanks Kaylade5154, it took a long time to get all the bits. but once its setup it really is a money maker :)
  • Options
    Eidolon23Eidolon23 Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2016
    It'd be fun if you could have a barista and bar that the sims actually used while in the shop. I tried an elaborate set up with movie theater, popcorn, dance floor with jukebox, barista, and bar. They paid no attention to those lol. Even hired a comic. =P Named the place Llama Loose. I had tables and chairs set up inside and out. No one sat down. Finally just put the bartenders creations in the Lice refrigerator. They did buy the ice cream too!

Wonder if you could sell from a cafe? Hmm guess you can't own a cafe. Just testing it out. Do they eat what they buy or walk around until it spoils in their backpack?
    "The worst thing you can do is tame the chaos in you. It is like being told not to feel when you are thrown in the fire." R. M. Drake
  • Options
    amber4candyamber4candy Posts: 1 New Member
    If you want to get people to sit down and eat, buy a fridge from get to work and put food from the bakery like cupcakes,brownies something like that:)