Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I always feel like I have too many windows

RumancekRumancek Posts: 558 Member
edited March 2015 in The Sims 4 Lots
Every time I build a house I always feel like there's too many windows.
And I need everything to fit together correctly but somehow it never does.
TOO MANY WINDOWS.
tumblr_nkz6a1nFdd1r8y8hko1_1280.png

The house is still a WIP but the structure is done.
edit
for the record, what's going on in front of the house because it looks weird there, lol
tumblr_nkz6gcT9Fc1r8y8hko1_1280.png
That an uppercase i at the end of my name, not an L! Do not @ me with the L.

Comments

• Options
    jh2011jh2011 Posts: 137 Member
    I feel like you can never have enough windows lol. Cuts down on bills. A little bit anyway
  • Options
    MLJ28aMLJ28a Posts: 320 Member
    I'd put even more windows. Sims love windows.
    zD4X8.gif
  • Options
    I like to create the Modern houses and make almost the whole house windows
  • Options
    MLJ28a wrote: »
    I'd put even more windows. Sims love windows.

BUT I FEEL LIKE THAT'D THROW IT OFF
  • Options
    @Castiel do you ever use mods?
  • Options
    jh2011 wrote: »
    @Castiel do you ever use mods?

Plenty of mods, why?
  • Options
    I noticed your doors are white and your windows are tan or brown. There's a mod that recolors most of the windows white that you have used on your house. That might bring it all together and not seem like there are too many windows.
  • Options
    jh2011 wrote: »
    I noticed your doors are white and your windows are tan or brown. There's a mod that recolors most of the windows white that you have used on your house. That might bring it all together and not seem like there are too many windows.

That's weird lol I've never heard of that
    Yeah I decided to make my doors white and my windows brown/white/tan
  • Options
    I thought you may have, and was hoping my comment wasn't condescending.

I'm very OCD and like everything to match lol.. Here's the link to the recolor.

modthesims.info/download.php?t=544673
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    i think more windows would be good for such a large building, but thats me :)
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited March 2015
    I absolutely adore windows! I think my big problem is that there are different styles of windows that, while having the colors I need, don't match the actual building. If each set of windows had universal basic colors (black, white, brown), that'd be really helpful.
  • Options
    @mizuru007 I agree. There's so many more windows I'd like to use but the colors just don't seem to match the rest of the property... If I REALLY REALLY want to use something I just make a mod for it.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Woahhh, it looks like it's lacking windows honestly :\
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    I can't help it, I love windows too. :)
    giphy.gif

• Options
    IggIgg Posts: 275 Member
    I always feel like I'm using too many windows as well. To me too many windows looks better than not enough.
  • Options
    DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member
    I feel the opposite, I feel like I barely have enough windows for oxygen to seep through... only like 1 window in every other room lol
  • Options
    AlmaMMAlmaMM Posts: 200 Member
    Sorry for off-topic, but could you please give me a link to the CC hair used on the long brown haired guy please? :)@Castiel
  • Options
    AlmaMM wrote: »
    Sorry for off-topic, but could you please give me a link to the CC hair used on the long brown haired guy please? :)@Castiel

I honestly have NO idea what it is ):
  • Options
    aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    edited March 2015
    I think the issue is less about "windows" specifically than it is about exterior details in general. On the very left of the picture you posted, that part of the house has a lot of different details, both vertically (the stone corners) and horizontally (the balcony and the roofing) in addition to the windows. But the rest of the house is mostly drowning in that light brown color. One of the problems is that, with the wall covering you chose, the stone corners won't appear if a wall section is less than two squares in length, and you have a lot of one-square wall sections. You could pick a wall covering with some more details. You could also pick a wall covering which contrasts with the windows. Right now, your walls are mostly brown, and your windows are mostly brown. There isn't as much visual interest in combinations of the same color.

There are a few other "rules" I try to follow when I build. They're not unbreakable rules by any means, but they're a good starting place for fixing something that you don't think looks quite right.

1. Windows look best if they're arranged vertically from the bottom to the top floor. (You've skipped a couple of floors in places, and your windows don't line up with the ones above or below them.)
    2. In traditional (not modern) houses, windows rarely reach the corner of a room. Keep one square between the corner and the windows. (I most frequently break this rule when I am using octagonal walls.)
    3. Try to keep things in a maximum of three. If you have three of the same things in a row, break it up with another detail. Your picture doesn't show any problem with this (except maybe in the upper left, with the narrow arched windows, although technically those are two different window types), but a lot of people who actually DO use too many windows fall victim to this problem.

Basically, I don't think your issue is too many windows. I think it's not enough details, not enough color, and no balance between one floor and the next.

Edit: I made a copy of this building so I could give you an example of what I meant. I used your same brown wall covering with stone corners for the main parts of the building, but used a different color for some contrasting areas. I picked windows which were very similar to the ones you had, but I gave them colors which contrasted with the walls, and adjusted their placement, generally avoiding any corners and making sure not to skip floors. I also improved the roofing slightly around the octagonal corners. Here is the picture:
    03-10-15_2-51nbspPM_zpsz6qg4dap.png
    Post edited by aquilifer on
  • Options
    @aquilifer I love that! Do you upload to the gallery?
  • Options
    aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    @jh2011 Yes, my Origin ID is: dracifer

The links to my building threads on the gallery are also here:
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12877736/#Comment_12877736
  • Options
    @aquilifer awesome I will take a look