Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any Sims 4 fans who did not like Sims 2?

Comments

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    1. Did (do) you play Sims 2? If so, did (do) you really like it or not?
    Yes, played and still do.

2. Did (do) you play Sims 3? If so, did (do) you really like it or not?
    Yes, played but stopped.

3. If you play (or have played) Sims 4 do you really like it or not?
    Yes, played but stopped.

4. Rank the different versions of sims from favorite to least favorite.
    Sims2
    Sims1
    Sims3
    Sims4

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    1. No, I haven't played it.
    2. Yes, I like it. I love the creativity that CASt brought and the open world, but it was fairly slow and the town was very... Dead.
    3. Yes, and unlike a lot of people here, I love it. The bright, cartoony style seemed odd at first, but it seems more alive then the fairly creepy Sims 3 Sims. Though open world is gone the neighborhood isn't a ghost one and there are Sims everywhere.
    4. 4>3>2/1.
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I still play sims 2, and never quit playing it. I have all of the expansion packs, plus the sims life stories series. Obviously I really like sims 2.

Yes I played sims 3. I liked it but I wasn't really in love with the game. It kept me entertained for several years but did have it's short comings.

I have sims 4, as well as the camping game pack. I am enjoying the game.

From best to worst in my opinion:

sims 1
    sims 2
    sims 2 life stories
    sims 4
    midevil
    sims 3

This all being stated it's all a matter of opinion. There really isn't a direct single cause of how people feel about sims 4 or any of the games versions for that matter. For example one can't state that everyone who liked sims 2 likes sims 4 nor does everyone who liked sims 3 dislike sims 4.
  • Options
    CourfeyracCourfeyrac Posts: 81 Member
    Yeah, I bought it the day it came out, bought all the expansion packs and still play it (though, because I'm on a Mac these days I can't play with Freetime or AL anymore). I loved it when it was brand spanking new and I love it no less now.

Also bought TS3 the day it came out, played it for a little bit, but got very bored with it very early on. I ended up not liking the visual style of it, especially of the sims themselves. CASt was a cool concept but in the end I found it too overwhelming and, paradoxically, limiting. The open world was meh. The only thing I really liked about TS3 was story progression. On top of all that I was playing the Mac version, which ran terribly.
    A few months ago I decided to try re-installing it on my Windows partition and just see what happened. It ran like a dream, so I wondered if maybe I'd be able to get back into it. I enjoyed it for a little while but once again it got boring very quickly and overall I was disappointed. I know a lot of people say TS4 doesn't feel like a Sims game, but for me, it's TS3 that doesn't feel like a Sims game.

After my disappointment with TS3, I didn't want to buy TS4 so soon after it came out. My original plan was to wait for the Mac version to come out, and in the meantime look at reviews and Let's Plays so I could make an informed decision. I ended up looking at a couple of Let's Plays and that interested me enough that I bought the Windows version before the Mac version came out!
    I really like TS4. For me, it's almost what TS3 should have been. It's lacking a few features, and I definitely have a wishlist (but top of that wishlist was family trees, so I'm in a happy place right now). But it's so much more enjoyable and more like a Sims game than TS3.

1. TS2
    2. TS4
    3. TS1
    4. TS3

(TS2 may -- may -- be usurped by TS4 when we have expansion packs and more content to play with. TS1, despite its basicness, is above TS3 partly because nostalgia, but mostly because it held my interest for a good few years, while TS3 failed to hold my interest for more than a few weeks.)
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Clk1143 wrote: »
    ...For example one can't state that everyone who liked sims 2 likes sims 4 nor does everyone who liked sims 3 dislike sims 4.

No, but from the responses almost all who like Sims 4 also like Sims 2. Although there were many who like Sims 2 and not Sims 4, there were only 1 or 2 who like Sims 4 but do not like, or have not played, Sims 2. So liking Sims 2 is almost a prerequisite to liking Sims 4.
  • Options
    RelivingmyYouthRelivingmyYouth Posts: 13 New Member
    1. I LOVED the Sims 2 and played it absolutely excessively. I had almost all expansion packs, had mods within my game, so much custom context and knew how to do basically everything. It was brilliant and one of the best games i've ever played. I've now got a mac so I don't think I can play it anymore :'( if anyone can tell me anything about being able to play TS2 on mac i'd be eternally grateful!

2. I did play the sims 3 but I didn't love it. The game was incredibly laggy and there wasn't any inbuilt families that really tugged my heartstrings.

3. I've started playing TS4 very recently and so far i'm on the fence... I'm more than happy to have loading screens at it prevents the laggy issues associated with TS3. There is something about it i'm just not a fan of but I can't quite place my finger on what it is.

4. TS2, TS4, TS3 :#
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    This thread will enlighten me as well. I'm with you. I don't see the appeal in Sims 4 either.

Would never have known!

brand-new-information-gif.gif
    Is that sarcastic comment suppose to offend me lol? I find it odd how you felt the need to call attention to me. I make my opinions loud and clear. I call it as I see it. Sims 4 is thee worst Sims game ever.

Nope!
    It just made me laugh that you said it as if you had never expressed your feelings about TS4 before. lmao.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    Is there anyone that dislikes the sims 2? it's just such a great game.
    My sister does. I have no idea why tbh, she thinks it's outdated,
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    TS3 -> TS4 was meh. Nothing new.
    [/list]

I'd disagree. There's a lot new to The Sims 4.
    Most people are angry about what's 'New' in The Sims 4, rather than what's Missing.
    Because fundamentally its the game has more changes than The Sims 2 - The Sims 3.

Completely new CAS, Build Mode, UI's, Game Mechanics (Emotions, Careers, Aspirations), Neighborhoods are structured completely different and other things.

The Sims 3 had the same kind of CAS as Sims 2, just with more Sliders and CASt, Build Mode in The Sims 3 was pretty much the same as The Sims 2 + CASt. The UI was slightly redesigned, but still very similar. Live Mode borrowed many elements from The Sims 2, especially Animations which were mostly re-used for The Sims 3.
    Open World and Story Progression were probably the two bigger features that were really different, but they didn't really overhaul the Sims experience.

Thats how I feel anyway.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    I hear that a lot about the Sims 1 which I find funny since the Sims 4 has quite a few similarities to the Sims 1 including the babies tied to objects and no toddlers. I really loved the humor of the original Sims game. The NPCs in it were really fun.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

I started with the original Sims. I had never played a PC video game before but loved the game!

I played TS2 and tbh never went back to TS1 again. It was awesome! Best sim-to-sim animations and detailed simulation of any of the series.

I moved on to TS3 and although I missed - no, mourned is a better word - many of the sim-to-sim animations (baby and toddler bathing, kids' games, kissing and make-out animations, etc.) and detailed simulation (sims teleported to cars, swiped their hands to pick up plates, etc.), I was never able to go back to TS2 again. The open world was amazing and I preferred the more subtle behavior of the sims - they were not over-the-top and cartoony as they were in TS2, and I liked that. And the creative freedom and open worlds were just amazing.

I bought TS4 and think it's the worst game ever. It's back to over-the-top cartoony, which as I said I really don't like. Rocket machines and giant cupcake machines on tiny lots? Teensy neighborhoods with no customization? And it has even more simulation details removed then TS3 did! Purchasing books from bookcases? Teleporting to lots? Babies tied to bassinets? And I hate the linear goal-oriented careers and achievements. I never played this game to win goals and achievements for myself, I played it to meet my sims' goals. Duh, what a concept! I don't like the whole idea of players manipulating their sims emotions to achieve goals and skills. If I'm going to manipulate my sims' emotions, it will be to affect what's going on between my sims, thank you very much. Will it get better with a dozen EPs? Maybe, especially if they only cost about $5 each. And even then, only if they make the neighborhoods bigger, add toddlers, and make the life stages more unique. I play families and they have pretty much removed my ability to enjoy that play style with this game.

TS3 > TS2 > TS1>...............................................................................................................................TS4.

Now, if EA decides to marry the best features of TS2 and TS3 for TS5, that may end up being my favorite Sims game of all time. :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited February 2015
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    So by this do you mean you dislike the game yourself? Only that seems an odd statement to make when all you've seen is screenshots. Also, it's a little unfair to do a comparison and name your favourite when you've only played one iteration out of the entire franchise.
    It just seems that the more we are attached to a certain gameplay and style the less we are open to accepting something that is different. That is just human nature. We like what we like. Certain things resonate with us and others do not. It's not that one version is better than another but just they are different and don't really appeal to us.

Well said.

Other than the fact that it may be considered outdated, I believe it is unarguably one of the best, very close contender of TS3 in terms of features.

Until TS4 can really break the forced linear gameplay a lot of simmers detest before (or even if) it finishes releasing EPs/GPs/SPs it just might stay the least enjoyable iteration in the franchise, as per the many displeased long-term simmers here.

That is... unless the targeted audience (suggesting early-late teens) show some positive demographics to prove otherwise.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    ChausserChausser Posts: 129 Member
    1. Nope! Only played Sims 1 & 4. I loved Sims 1 - it's the game that got me into playing with mods (7 Deadly Sims was such an awesome website) - but I kind of forgot about the game for years once I went to college and only recently got back into the franchise.

2. Nope! See above.

3. Yes! I like the graphics on Sims 4 quite a bit (iffy on the base game's hair, though), and I enjoy playing the game. The building tools and sim creation tools, especially, impressed me. I don't have experience with Sims 2 and 3, so I'm not really qualified to compare the current game to earlier iterations, but I do think that we should hold out judgement on it for another year or two. Like most game sequels, the content in Sims 4 is significantly outstripped by its predecessor. We'll only really be able to compare the game's lasting value in relation to earlier titles once it's had time to catch up. That said, some of the mechanics of earlier games (especially in Sims 3) sound really neat, now that I've read about them, and I'm a bit disappointed that they aren't likely to make an appearance in Sims 4. The nuisance represented by the loading screens are especially tiring. Having to wait a full minute to load Sims 4 lots is pretty ridiculous on my custom built gaming desktop, especially since it plays every other game I can think of with no problem. It really discourages world exploration, as well, and this in a game whose mechanics already discourage exploration (poor AI of sims not directly under your control in other lots).

Ranking (best to worst):

1. Sims 4

2. The Sims

Abstain: Sims 2 and 3.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I hear that a lot about the Sims 1 which I find funny since the Sims 4 has quite a few similarities to the Sims 1 including the babies tied to objects and no toddlers. I really loved the humor of the original Sims game. The NPCs in it were really fun.
    She also happens to loathe TS4. But she loves TS3.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited February 2015

Yes, I have the Ultimate edition installed and I still play it, though not as frequently as I did when I was a kid. I really love it.

Yes, I have all the EPs installed and I still play them frequently, especially when I want to play with supernatural creatures or pets. I find it amazing, and I don't experience the bugs people often complain about.

Yes, I play it almost every day. While I often get annoyed at the lack of CASt and open world, I enjoy the game a lot. I especially like how detailed the CAS is and the overall style of the game.

My rank fluctuates. I found out a few days ago that The Sims 4 has dust spirits as collectible bugs, which bumped TS4 to first place due to my love of Spirit Away and My Neighbor Totoro at the time. I like the three of them for very different reasons. Besides, TS2 and TS3 are complete, with all their EPs, and TS4 is still just base game plus a camping site. Comparing only the base games... I still have nothing. It has been so long since I played TS3 or TS2 without any EPs that I can't rate them by that.

HOWEVER, The Sims 1 is my favourite sims game overall, at the moment. But as I said, my rank fluctuates.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    She also happens to loathe TS4. But she loves TS3.
    That's nice she has a favorite of the series too. I think it's generally nice hearing from other Simmers why each game is their favorite.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

1. Did, and really liked it.
    2. Did, but liked it less as time went on, plus my computer (definitely not a toaster) liked it less and less
    3. Do, and like it quite a lot.
    4. Sims 4 > Sims 2 > Sims 3. Not sure where I'd put Sims 1 in there anymore, because my thoughts about it are very nostalgia-driven.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well i have played since the sims1 and i can say that i love the sims4 it has that sims2 feeling in term of game play but the easyness of the sims3
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    simslovers456simslovers456 Posts: 213 Member
    1. I played it a few times, and yes, I was sort of obsessed and hooked.
    2. I played Sims 3, I liked it, it's a good game, but the gameplay, and all the lagginess, and speaking as someone who had extremely bad experience with bad custom content, constant crashes, lag spikes, etc. So all of that kind of ruined Sims 3 for me, but it's in the middle for me. I was hooked onto it though, I mean, it had some neat features that I absolutely loved, if it didn't have such crash scripts that weren't able to be managed responsibly.
    3. I played Sims 4 and I wasted 60 US dollars, and I try to make it my time. To be entirely honest, the only thing I waste my time on Sims 4 is CAS. The gameplay is usually hard for me to go through without feeling the nostalgic feelings of things that the Sims 3 had generally spoiled me with. I love how smooth the gameplay is though, but it's missing out features and it's sort of a disappointment.
    4. Sims 2,Sims 4, Sims 3.
    large.jpg
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited February 2015
    -Yes, I have played it. I hated it.
    -Yes, I played and really liked it.
    -I've had fun with it.
    -TS3/TS4/TS2 That could change as more content is released for TS4.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    1. Yes, I liked it :smile:
    2. The Sims 3 is my favourite :smiley:
    3. Have not played it and not interested
    4. TS3 is my favourite but have good memories of 1 & 2 as well.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    TuzoTuzo Posts: 56 Member
    Yes. It was great for storytelling and at the time I use to play it for hours. All expansion packs were great and the game ran smooth on my computer despite having all of them + DLC

Yes. Open world was amazing at first, but I never really enjoyed it because of how slow it ran. I actually had to buy a new computer to play this game with expansion packs and it still wasn't smooth. I don't miss the game taking 10+ minutes to load.

I'm really enjoying it so far. The gallery is actually my favorite thing about the game. Not having to exit the game to use the content and having immediate access to it is amazing.

Sims 2
    Sims 4 (I think it'll be the best after the expansion star coming out)
    Sims 3
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Since there has been an invasion of Sims 4 threads into the Sims 3 discussion forum I've started to wonder about why some players like Sims 4. I looked through the Sims 4 screenshots thread and don't see the appeal. But I did notice that the sims look a lot like those from Sims 2. So my theory is that those who really liked Sims 2 also like Sims 4.

I really only want to know if there are any that like Sims 4 but do not like, or did not play, Sims 2. But here is a survey that is more inclusive:

I'll start off.

1. did not play Sims 2
    2. yes I like Sims 3
    3. have not played Sims 4
    4. Sims 3 .....

Thanks

1. Yes, never gave up s2 when 3 came out. I rotate the games I play. Yesterday I played s2 and had my couple create their first baby while on their honeymoon. Their toddler son is adorable, and they are now expecting their 2nd child. Still <3 TS2

2. Still play S3, love the open world and being able to keep track of all family members. I'll be playing one of my challengcy families tomorrow, I think I have a tot whose about to become a child in one of the families. Still <3 TS3

3. Have s4 play about once a weekish, trying to keep myself focused on going after the silly achievements. The only reason I didn't do the great game guarantee for my money back is because I goofed and downloaded it & played for 3 hours release day, instead of waiting for the weekend when I would have had more than 3 hours.

4. S3 & S2 are just about tied for 1st, then TS1 (even though I no longer have my copies), s4 last.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    Just popped in to this thread to say thank you to everyone for keeping it on topic, polite and respectful to each other.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    1. I love it and I play it still to this day
    2. I love it and I play it still.
    3. The sims 4 is nice and I really enjoy it.

4. I cant put sims 1 on my list because my love for the sims 1 is special in its own way. But heres my list.

1. the sims 2
    2. the sims 3 right under the sims 2.
    3. the sims 4.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3