Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New "Goodbye" interaction?

Does everybody else now have this new goodbye social whenever a sim leaves the active lot (except the sim I'm controlling...everyone ignores him, of course)? I notice it especially in bar type establishments...even if my sim is over in a common area, miles away from the bar or whatever but it's still the active lot, he'll have multiple ones queued up and then he'll stop what he's doing and wave goodbye like an idiot. Really wasn't a good idea, wherever it came from; my sim must say goodbye about twenty times a day now.

On the plus side, thank you Maxis for making the tent, shower, and cooler placeable pretty much everywhere. I thought it would just be on lots, but I can also put them out in common areas and make camp like a hobo.

Comments

• Options
    ShepherdmoonShepherdmoon Posts: 1,486 Member
    Yeah, that's a new addition.
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Yep. Even the sims you aren't introduced to do it. Why would my sim even care if some random stranger says goodbye? :/
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    Thanks...I suspected as much. Kind of tends to get a little overdone and repetitious, especially when a bar closes. A modder will likely come to my rescue.
  • Options
    MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    yep although I didn't know it was new since today is the first time I played the game since September 2nd
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    Thanks...I suspected as much. Kind of tends to get a little overdone and repetitious, especially when a bar closes. A modder will likely come to my rescue.

Can not say it impresses me either. I spend to much time cancelling goodbyes. Another waste of time animation when there is so many other things they could have added/fixed. Why is it every time they come up with another" great" idea it seems to be overdone and annoying?

kim :\

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member
    It even sometimes happens if my sim is on their home lot and somebody walking past leaves. I think it was part of the patch two weeks ago.
  • Options
    What's worse yet is they seem to jump in front of pending interactions, so my sim doesn't get as much socializing done. I was watching it just now, and he spent 45 minutes just saying goodbye to people. I think it needs to at least be modded so it only includes friends, and ONLY if they are in the same room with you before they go. Or just plain nuked would be fine, too.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Yeah, I have actually had to X out some of those goodbye ques. My sims have even gotten them without ever having interacted with those sims. :\
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    Trying to have a conversation with a sim on the porch of the library and the stupid goodbyes made it down right impossible. What will they think of next to make the game more unplayable???

kim :\
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    kay_blogskay_blogs Posts: 67 Member
    I HATE this new "feature" and I hope they fix/remove it soon or someone makes a mod. It gets in the way of normal interactions and conversations. Like, I'm trying to meet a new sim in the neighborhood but instead of introducing herself, my sim stands around and stares into space while 5 other sims who happened to be walking by have to say "goodbye". And by the time I'm done trying to cancel all of those queued up goodbyes, the other sim has gotten tired of waiting, also says goodbye, and my sim never gets to meet this new person. It also lags conversations that are already happening.

Even if it worked correctly, there's logically no reason why strangers should be waving goodbye to each other.
  • Options
    mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    Yes and I hate it! My sims became famous all of a sudden, everybody waves at them
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    it's always the same with every sims game,
    if a new feature is introduced, then ALL sims are doing it CONSTANTLY & are eager to get out of the grave just to do it

anybody remember the footbag ? i guess it was the first The Sims & it drove people crazy & caused additionally unplayable spots on the lot
    in TS2 it was, i believe, the running Sims which mutated to a bug even
    & in TS3 after University all sims want to go to university
    after World Adventures all sims want to go on an andventure
    after Into The Future all sims want to go to the future
    but not enough sims anymore want to go on an adventure or to university
    & in TS4 all sims want to drink, wash their hands after loo & now that waiving goodbye
    it's really a nice gesture just plainly overdone

could be better programmed
    introducing a new feature could be set more subtle, more useful & not just blatantly annoying to a player who wishes to play not just for the next week & then never again :#
    i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    I hate it too, in the beginning was cute then I was like, I was not even talking to you, stop bothering me convo here, is a date and I will mess it up if you people keep GOODBYEING ME!
  • Options
    SimatropolisSimatropolis Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2015
    My Sims don't have this problem as they're nearly all recluses with no friends. :wink:
  • Options
    haituvahaituva Posts: 266 Member
    Yeah they did overdo it a bit, the idea was nice though. Maybe just one collective Goodbye should be allowed in a certain time frame, to limit them queuing up.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,653 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    Yep. Even the sims you aren't introduced to do it. Why would my sim even care if some random stranger says goodbye? :/
    Have you never been walking along somewhere and said hello to a stranger passing by? I have. Usually, I try to give them a nice bright smile, too. It's amazing to see the response you can get. You just never know when that itty bitty touch of sunshine can uplift someone. I have yet to experience this whole 'goodbye-ing' but, I think it's just a nice idea. What is wrong with being social?

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am up in the air about this new feature. I mean it is nice to say goodbye but some Sims standing at my door never got a hello and my Sim has to say goodbye. After a party, the goodbye spam is ridiculous.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    I guess my sim hasn't been around enough other sims to make saying goodbye a problem, yet.

I like the idea of waving goodbye, more sociable that way. So far, I have enjoyed this new feature. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the ridiculous amount of hand waving. It's great when they only do it to friends or acquaintances but they do it to EVERYONE.

I'm convinced this is just another glitch that will be fixed in the next patch like the borked bars the careers update introduced. Maxis is really trying to beat Bethesda's record for adding a glitch for every one they fix.
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    I don´t mind the feature all too much but I have to agree that it would be nice if it would be limited to Sims which already know my Sim .. instead of everyone in a public location, including Sims my Sim never met before, saying goodbye to my Sim.
  • Options
    RacerX780RacerX780 Posts: 475 Member
    Shimrod just posted a mod to lessen the waving.

"Less Waving Goodbye"

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=548636
  • Options
    RacerX780 wrote: »
    Shimrod just posted a mod to lessen the waving.

"Less Waving Goodbye"

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=548636

Yep, and it works great, too.

• Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    EA creates a new interaction and then overdoes it??? My God! Who would have imagined it??
  • Options
    kay_blogskay_blogs Posts: 67 Member
    edited February 2015
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    Have you never been walking along somewhere and said hello to a stranger passing by? I have. Usually, I try to give them a nice bright smile, too. It's amazing to see the response you can get. You just never know when that itty bitty touch of sunshine can uplift someone. I have yet to experience this whole 'goodbye-ing' but, I think it's just a nice idea. What is wrong with being social?

Saying hello and smiling at a stranger is one thing. But, imagine that you're out in a public place with your best friend and you're trying to have a conversation when 10 different people you don't know interrupt you just to say "Ok, bye. I'm leaving now!" and wave at you. Or you're sitting on your front porch trying to talk to your parent and several strangers who are walking down the street, walk up on your front porch to say "Bye! I'm going home now!" or "Bye! I'm going to continue jogging now!"... Would you not be creeped out?

Or, you can look at it this way; When you're out shopping and you're about to leave the building, do you walk up to every customer in the place and wave goodbye to them?

This feature doesn't make sims more social, it just makes them creepy weirdos. It's a "nice idea" gone horribly wrong. You don't get introduced to the other sim or have any friendship added. They are literally just interrupting whatever you're doing just to say goodbye. If you want to know that sim or be friends, you still have to click on them and introduce yourself. And the person you were talking to gets bumped out of the queue. So you're ignoring your friends, family, and significant others just to say goodbye to 10 random sims you don't know.
    Post edited by kay_blogs on
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2015
    I like the waving goodbye. It gives me the same happy feeling the Sims 1,2, and 3 had. But yes there is a mod that was posted to lessen it if needed. It's just nice having my Sims notice each other now instead of being robots ignoring each other.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller