Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it that bad?

I ordered Sims 4 and Outdoor Retreat a while back and can't play them yet since I'm on OS X only. Is the game that bad as people make it out to be?

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    profanedog wrote: »
    I ordered Sims 4 and Outdoor Retreat a while back and can't play them yet since I'm on OS X only. Is the game that bad as people make it out to be?

People don't make it out to be, people have their own opinions, many people in the forums like to generalize and pretend the game is bad overall, truth is that there are lots of players who enjoy the game, you will only find out when you start to play.

Even though there are some features missing, which bothers me, I like the game mechanics pretty well, it's my opinion :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited February 2015
    Yes and no, it really depends what you want from the game, some love it, some hate it, most are somewhere in the middle with elements they like and dislike.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Yes (to counter the No) ~got to keep things balanced. :neutral_face:
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Since you're asking for our opinions, I would personally would start by returning Outdoor Retreat NOW. You haven't played the game yet, and if you end up not liking it, you would have paid an additional 20 dollars for DLC of a game you don't like.

To make this as short as possible, it's missing features that were present in the base game of past Sims games and is ultimately, as the developers are saying themselves, taking The Sims in a new direction. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but I definitely have difficulty calling it a sequel of TS3 (which it should be, in my opinion).

Watch a lot of YouTube gameplay, read reviews, and compare it to TS3 (or whichever past Sims game you play, if any) to try and see if it's something you'd like.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Yes.

Depending on the gamer you are. EA managed to annihilate certain types of gamers, more than before, this time around.

TBH, and this is speaking for myself so no one get their panties in a bunch, I think TS2 is better than TS4. It's essentially the same thing to me, except TS2 was better.
  • Options
    <- listen to the bear.... It is and it isn't. It's all Relative. :cookie:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Actually, @profanedog, are you new to the series in general?
  • Options
    SimChic1 wrote: »
    Actually, @profanedog, are you new to the series in general?

I was wondering that, too. I think it makes a difference. . .
  • Options
    @Rflong7 Yeah, because if they're new then they won't know what's missing. And when you don't know what's missing that was in previous games, that game can seem perfect to you. So there's your answer OP lol
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    No, it's not. Outdoor Retreat could have been a little better. But I like the additional furntitures and stuff that you get :).
  • Options
    profanedogprofanedog Posts: 108 Member
    I played Sims 2 before but only recently got Sims 3 on origin.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    I miss my family play style, so it isn't very fun for me. Others love it and couldn't care less.

The camera controls are a nightmare though. You'll see for yourself.
  • Options
    strangestfruitstrangestfruit Posts: 53 Member
    I think you have to play it to really find out if you'll like it or not.

I thought I was going to hate this game but I actually don't mind it. lol
  • Options
    @profanedog Oh. Since you haven't really experienced TS3, I think you'd be fine with TS4 because again, you won't notice anything missing.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Seamoan wrote: »
    I miss my family play style, so it isn't very fun for me. Others love it and couldn't care less.

The camera controls are fine to me (I use the TS3 camera all the time so... :p )
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    No, I wouldn't say it is bad. So far we just have the base game and one game pack and of course base games get boring after awhile as it is expansions that starts to give us things to do (they never put everything in base games. People didn't want to give Sims 3 a chance either when it first came out and it was pretty lacking too). It is just different and change can be hard to deal and people are still mad about no toddlers and really need to get over it. We will get them when we get them.

Really, the only way to find out if you personally like it or not is to give it a chance and try it out. Maybe you will like it and maybe you won't. Opinions are subjective as each person is different. Each person look for different things in the game, etc....
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited February 2015
    YES!!!
    He/Him
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    You should at least try it out. I personally like the game, as it ends up giving me the main thing I always enjoyed about the Sims. Yes, it is missing some things I really liked from previous versions, and this hurts, but in the end, it's game on.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,537 Member

It depends on what you value.
    There are quite a few things I like about it, but it's not playable as a game for me yet. I have to wait for more EPs.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

The camera controls are fine to me (I use the TS3 camera all the time so... :p )

Yeah. I did too. No bottom edge scrolling = nightmare for me.
  • Options
    profanedogprofanedog Posts: 108 Member
    > @Seamoan said:
    > I miss my family play style, so it isn't very fun for me. Others love it and couldn't care less.
    >
    > The camera controls are a nightmare though. You'll see for yourself.

I occasionally play with families. Is this mostly about the missing toddler stage?
  • Options
    > @Seamoan said:
    > I miss my family play style, so it isn't very fun for me. Others love it and couldn't care less.
    >

I occasionally play with families. Is this mostly about the missing toddler stage?

Missing toddlers, the object babies and teens that looked just like adults made family play difficult for me. It just seems wrong.

• Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yeah. I did too. No bottom edge scrolling = nightmare for me.

There is bottom edge scrolling. I much prefer the camera controls in 4 now that I am used to them, but I admit, I did have to use 3 for a while.
  • Options
    > @Seamoan said:
    >

This thread smells like fish bait.