Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*UPDATED* Supported Graphics Card List (The Sims 4 Edition)

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    vvoytek wrote: »
    I have a question.
    I just built a new computer and installed Sims 4 on it. My specs go as follows:
    CPU: AMD FX-6300
    GPU: GeForce GTX 970
    RAM: 8GB
    Here's the actual question: How come my game never reaches above 60fps on 1920x1080 resolution? My average fps is about 35. I am running the game on ultra btw, I thought my computer could handle it. Also, changing the resolution doesn't seem to fix it. When I first booted up the game it said that my graphics card was not recognized.

There is a new NVidia Geforce Experience download which recognises Sims 4. It didn't recognise it until recently. I downloaded it last week. It recognised my card which is less powerful than yours (740M).

• Options
    vvoytekvvoytek Posts: 36 Member
    @Mchap353 thank you for your answer!
    My drivers are up to date though, and while nvidia experience recognizes The Sims 4, the game doesn' t recognize my graphics card. I've tried re-installing and repairing the game but to no avail. Still below 40 fps.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @Mchap353 thank you for your answer!
    My drivers are up to date though, and while nvidia experience recognizes The Sims 4, the game doesn' t recognize my graphics card. I've tried re-installing and repairing the game but to no avail. Still below 40 fps.
    For fps issue have you turned on vsync in game? And What's your refresh rate for your monitor.
  • Options
    vvoytekvvoytek Posts: 36 Member
    @ceejay402 vsync is on, and the refresh rate is 60Hz
  • Options
    conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    With the Sims 4 coming out for mac (currently) in 5 days, I was wandering if my 2010 macbook Pro would be able to run the game well and on medium to high graphical settings. I currently have a macbook Air which I know would not be able to run it well; however, I believe the macbook Pro can - I just want to double check.

Here are my specs of the macbook Pro:
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

Here are the minimum system requirements for the Sims 4 on mac:
    MINIMUM OS: Mac OS® X 10.7.5 (Lion) CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 10 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM of 256MB or better

So, will my macbook Pro be able to run the Sims 4 on medium-high graphical settings? Thanks in Advance!!!
  • Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    I just wrote a rather large post asking for advice on choosing between two laptops, but I got the dreaded 'awaiting approval' message. :cry: I'm guessing it can't cope with two full spec lists being posted at the same time (woops).

These are links to the two laptops I'm considering: Toshiba Satellite vs. HP Envy

I think the HP has the better graphics card out of the two, but it only has 4gb of RAM which is what my current 4 year old laptop currently has. The Toshiba has 8gb RAM but the graphics card doesn't seem to be as good. I'm not sure which is more important for gaming, so could someone take a look at them and give me some advice? I have a lot of TS3 games that I would hope to play in addition to TS4 + upcoming EP's. Which would be the safer option and which would have the most longevity out of the two?

Thanks in advance!!
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    @ceejay402 vsync is on, and the refresh rate is 60Hz

Ok are you getting errors? And for as for getting the card to recognize your card has only been released so it's not in the game data I think, so my assumption is you need to take steps similar to sims 3 to manual add your card http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game Help:Getting new graphics cards recognized by the game

hey @conday884 for mac help see the sims 4 mac section http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I just wrote a rather large post asking for advice on choosing between two laptops, but I got the dreaded 'awaiting approval' message. :cry: I'm guessing it can't cope with two full spec lists being posted at the same time (woops).

These are links to the two laptops I'm considering: Toshiba Satellite vs. HP Envy

I think the HP has the better graphics card out of the two, but it only has 4gb of RAM which is what my current 4 year old laptop currently has. The Toshiba has 8gb RAM but the graphics card doesn't seem to be as good. I'm not sure which is more important for gaming, so could someone take a look at them and give me some advice? I have a lot of TS3 games that I would hope to play in addition to TS4 + upcoming EP's. Which would be the safer option and which would have the most longevity out of the two?

Thanks in advance!!
    re ram you really need 8 in order to be able to multitask and the two systems are rather close with specs but the HP is slightly better minus the ram issue

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-M260-vs-GeForce-840M
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4210U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4200M

neither are robust for gaming, though and the HP is it refurbished, if so something to try to avoid because many times refurbished means theres a design flaw, like motherboard fries easily, they dont typically fix the flaw they instead just replace motherboard with the same one that had the design flaw

if you can stretch your budget consider options like these proper gaming laptops note you need to add ram:
    https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Xplorer_X6-6000
    https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Xplorer_X6-9300
  • Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    Thanks so much @ceejay402 - I really appreciate you taking the time to compare them. I'd hoped they'd be OK, as it pains me to think that they're charging so much for laptops that are not much better than the one I've already had for 4 years! Lol. But c'est la vie!

And thank you for posting the links to those laptops - they're a bit out of my range at the moment but I've saved the links so I can keep checking :)
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Thanks so much @ceejay402 - I really appreciate you taking the time to compare them. I'd hoped they'd be OK, as it pains me to think that they're charging so much for laptops that are not much better than the one I've already had for 4 years! Lol. But c'est la vie!

And thank you for posting the links to those laptops - they're a bit out of my range at the moment but I've saved the links so I can keep checking :)

you bet :) the closer you can get to the specs i linked to the longer the laptop will last and the better the game will perform. and definitely feel free to create a new thread and post other considerations, and if saving longer is possible i do think its worth it. or consider a desktop, they are typically cheaper and perform much better with gaming, good luck
  • Options
    May77beeMay77bee Posts: 54 Member
    So you have NVIDIA GeForce series (desktop) {GTX 970}, {GTX 980}, but not the GTX 960, is that because it is not supported? I am having some trouble with my new computer running Sims 4 smoothly. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    May77bee wrote: »
    So you have NVIDIA GeForce series (desktop) {GTX 970}, {GTX 980}, but not the GTX 960, is that because it is not supported? I am having some trouble with my new computer running Sims 4 smoothly. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

The GTX 960 was only released recently, and to be honest I forgot to add it onto the list. However it shouldn't have any issues playing the game - could you elaborate on what your issues are?

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    victoriae350victoriae350 Posts: 342 Member
    edited March 2015
    I lied...LOOL! XD
    So i'm looking at Staples for my desktop and I'm very interested in THIS (http://www.staples.ca/en/Acer-Desktop-DTSVLAA001-2GHz-AMD-A6-6310-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD/product_1273996_2-CA_1_20001) computer. But they don't list the exact Raedeon card :/ only that it's R4 (and another I saw was R7)
  • Options
    CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    I don't know if I've missed it, but what about a AMD A10-7800?

Hello,

The AMD A10-7800 is a processor which has an integrated AMD R7 graphics chip, which is orange on the list. (where ORANGE = Cards that will play The Sims 4, but not at higher graphical settings).

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Options
    victoriae350victoriae350 Posts: 342 Member
    @CodySimstein - Thanks for your help! Maybe you can help me with something else...I'm looking into a new desktop because I got tired of the crappiness of laptops. But I'm looking for a computer with a good graphics card that isn't too expensive. I keep finding computer brands with cards in the orange or red zone. Any brand you can recommend that has a graphic card that is fine with the sims 4 (and 3 too!)?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @CodySimstein CeeJay402 and I have also been helping @victoriae350 in this thread. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/819027/best-desktop-for-the-sims-3#latest

They also need a computer that will not only play the sims 4 but also the sims 3. Sims 3 having higher requirements. They have a budget and they are in Canada
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Sorry for almost necroing this...but is an ATI Radeon HD 3000 (integrated) supported at all, because I don't see it on the list.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    candace92 wrote: »
    Sorry for almost necroing this...but is an ATI Radeon HD 3000 (integrated) supported at all, because I don't see it on the list.

the 3200 is on the list in the red which means you may have issues. Really this game should not be played on integrated graphics card. Especially if you want to play the game and all its eps. People who are playing on integrated chips probably wont survive as more eps get added
  • Options
    DragonFly87DragonFly87 Posts: 1 New Member
    @ceejay402 Looking for advice for pursuing purchase of the new Get to Work EP after looking over the (updated) system requirements for it. Will my laptop run smoothly enough in-game? I see my graphics card is in the Orange section from this thread. I'm also worried that my processor is too slow, with Get to Work saying: "For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent". I think these are my specs. that you need: Thanks!
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP ENVY x2 Detachable PC 15
    BIOS: F.06
    Processor: Intel(R) Processor 5Y70 CPU @ 1.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.3GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8116MB RAM
    Page File: 1863MB used, 7532MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5300
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Type: Full Device
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Looking for advice for pursuing purchase of the new Get to Work EP after looking over the (updated) system requirements for it. Will my laptop run smoothly enough in-game? I see my graphics card is in the Orange section from this thread. I'm also worried that my processor is too slow, with Get to Work saying: "For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent". I think these are my specs. that you need: Thanks!
    System Information
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
    Display Devices

Your processor is too slow and if your card is in the orange it may now be in the red or getting close to the red because the more this game adds patches, eps etc the specs change. You will have a rough time with this game on this computer
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Sorry about this but I have a request and yes it is about Mac. When a list for Mac is out can you give me a link to it by giving me a link with @emmaning written somewhere so then I get a notice. Also the latest MacBook seems to have Intel hd 5300 would that run sims 4 smoothly on good settings? I already have realised for pc but I'd like to know if it is for Mac or if there's a Macbook with a nvidia GeForce gtx series graphics card. Ty.

but I also have a little info for PC ones below in its own little paragraph, however I'm sure you don't need the info and are already well aware of it seeing how much you already know, op. Sorry if this info is badly written but idk how else to write it...

Oh and also I know how crappily Intel hd (the original one) is for PC but it will run it very badly on high/ultra like the worst thing ever. However, it runs even worse on low medium/low. It really DOES NOT work out. But I think that one should be in pink to mean really runs crappily but may break in future updates. Pink was the color i chose to suggest as its like a weakened version of red. Although it'd be fine to keep it in red and not add in pink. Example and I hope the Bb code works:
    will run on any graphical settings but may break in future patches and it runs very badly, crashes lots more than I can say in words and runs like the worst thing ever.
    intel hd
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @emmaning cody has not been around or updated the list since February so the list may not be accurate since many new patches have been added to the game when the list was made and people that could play can no longer play because they may have a lower end pc.

There is a mac thread specifically for mac. If you have any questions about mac find BlueBellFlora in the mac threads. They also have a bunch of pinned mac threads. Not sure if they include video card
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    @phoebebebe13
    @emmaning cody has not been around or updated the list since February so the list may not be accurate since many new patches have been added to the game when the list was made and people that could play can no longer play because they may have a lower end pc.

There is a mac thread specifically for mac. If you have any questions about mac find BlueBellFlora in the mac threads. They also have a bunch of pinned mac threads. Not sure if they include video card
    Aha ty I already know about the Mac thread but I searched on Google for some reason and this thread came up so I asked here because yes I didn't really think. Ty for advice though. I'll go find bluebell flora then. I'll make a thread in Mac threads and tag them.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    @ceejay402 Looking for advice for pursuing purchase of the new Get to Work EP after looking over the (updated) system requirements for it. Will my laptop run smoothly enough in-game? I see my graphics card is in the Orange section from this thread. I'm also worried that my processor is too slow, with Get to Work saying: "For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent". I think these are my specs. that you need: Thanks!
    System Information
    Display Devices

sorry @DragonFly87 just seeing this now you will have more issues with your processor then your intel chip right for the current game. your system is more of a tablet then laptop sorry :( also GTW has proven to be rather processing intense to run the careers. if you already have the base game and can actually run the game on low settings it maybe too much of stretch with GTW.
  • Options

this list is not patch created or dependent. this list was derived by how a card is designed and configured to be used plus the recommended specs for the game. and thus gaming card's classification here also are informative to mac users.