Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is getting more expensive, Get to work is $40?!

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    When I bought a lot of my Sims 3 games, the series was almost over. I bought the base came and Showtime as a bundle for like $39 (maybe even $29) from Amazon in 2013. I ended up getting everything else (EPs and SPs) for like $20 or so each either through Amazon or Origin. Uni I think was on sale at the time. I didn't get IP until it went on sale and then Movie Stuff and IF for like $20 for both on Origin when they had a sale around Christmas.

Currently the Digital download of Sims 4 is on sale for about $40.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    When I bought a lot of my Sims 3 games, the series was almost over. I bought the base came and Showtime as a bundle for like $39 (maybe even $29) from Amazon in 2013. I ended up getting everything else (EPs and SPs) for like $20 or so each either through Amazon or Origin. Uni I think was on sale at the time. I didn't get IP until it went on sale and then Movie Stuff and IF for like $20 for both on Origin when they had a sale around Christmas.

Currently the Digital download of Sims 4 is on sale for about $40.

I did pre-order every EP and SP except Island Paradise and Movie Stuff. I waited for sales to buy Island Paradise and Movie Stuff, I did the same in Black Friday 2014 to get Roaring Heights. Unfortunately, I missed the pre-order for Island Paradise so I couldn't get the pre-order items. The only issue with TS3 is the missable items should one not pre-order because there's no way to get them otherwise unless you have a friend who has said item. TS3 content is worth buying but it still upsets me the bugs will not be fixed which I ranted in this video.

On the other hand, looks like Get to Work won't have pre-order/Limited Edition content according to the Origin page.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Is pre-order/Limited Edition content usually only announced when the EP is first announced? If not, maybe we'll get an announcement about it later on.
  • Options
    Sim2BladeSim2Blade Posts: 550 Member
    well get to work and get a job so you can get to work :p
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    TS3 BG was like what, $60? I'm just glad I didn't buy my copy :p
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Sanriel85Sanriel85 Posts: 362 Member
    I dont care what is the cost as long i like the game.
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited February 2015
    I paid $40 for every Sims 3 Expansion at release. I think I paid $50 for the Sims 3 Base Game, whereas Sims 4 cost me $60. So the price of expansions hasn't gone up. I live in the United States, so maybe it's different for each country? I bought the games either at Best Buy or Walmart, and always paid $40 for an expansion.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I paid $40 for every Sims 3 Expansion at release. I think I paid $50 for the Sims 3 Base Game, whereas Sims 4 cost me $60. So the price of expansions hasn't gone up. I live in the United States, so maybe it's different for each country? I bought the games either at Best Buy or Walmart, and always paid $40 for an expansion.
    The price in Europe for GTW is €39.99 and the UK price is £29.99. Here in Denmark the price is kroner299.00 which is about the same - although those prices are higher than the US price. But I think that all the European prices include taxes(VAT) while the US price doesn't.

• Options
    ThatSwaggieThatSwaggie Posts: 255 Member
    The sims 3 ep's are $40, so it's not really a difference
    tumblr_nuspl0ybfb1u94f66o4_540.gif

• Options
    Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    An expansion pack is not going to be priced like a game pack.

I don't have a problem with the price. I just want to make sure the ep is worth it and that I will actually enjoy it once I buy it. So many of sims 3 eps were uninstalled not too long after purchase because they just didn't live up to promises or were too glitchy to deal with.

Get to Work seems like it might potentially be a blast........but there are some major questions I have about it. If other sims in the neighborhood can't go shop at the retail shops and buy things, then it is not like OFB it is just another dressed up career to pretend your sim owns a business. Fun, but not the same level of fun as the sims 2 version. I want all my sims to be able to go out shopping or to eat at a bakery ect.

Did anyone else notice? We already have an investigator career in the game, yet the ep will give us a detective career as an open career. That seems a bit odd, even if I do think investigating crime scenes may be fun, unless they never change then it's going to get boring pretty quickly. Sort of like the fireman / ghostbuster careers in sims 3.

I'm hoping they give us lots of info on this ep before it's release.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I don't understand? EPs have always been $40. The fact that it hasn't increased is incredible. Stuffpacks/store stuff, which people complained were overpriced have been replaced by gamepacks. These gamepacks are mini EPs that add to nearly every category including interactions, aspirations, and CAS. There was also 4 harvestables and a destination with neighborhoods. All for $20. We are getting nearly 5x what we did for the $20 stuff packs. Considering the huge cost of S3, S4 is affordable. I know because I had all EPs, SPs, store stuff all the way up to the simpoint bundle starfish, hairstyles, and plants. I can't even use the make a deal since I own it all. S4 prices rule. :)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    The price in Europe for GTW is €39.99 and the UK price is £29.99. Here in Denmark the price is kroner299.00 which is about the same - although those prices are higher than the US price. But I think that all the European prices include taxes(VAT) while the US price doesn't.

Yeah, here in the US, with tax I paid about $42 after tax for EP's.
  • Options
    lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member
    That's not new. Sims 3 expansion packs were also $40.

yes but target or bestbuy had them on sale for 19.99 when they first came out. I never paid full price for any of the sims 3 expansion or game packs.

• Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    You think $40 is bad? The base game was $80.
    That's cheap compared to the base game.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    stats.set_skill_level Major_Bartending
    That's not new. Sims 3 expansion packs were also $40.

yes but target or bestbuy had them on sale for 19.99 when they first came out. I never paid full price for any of the sims 3 expansion or game packs.

I said this before but shocked to hear anybody got a new expansion for $20 :o
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

Where did you guy it?
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    GlamourSimmerGlamourSimmer Posts: 238 Member
    I honestly do not care that it's $40. The other EP was $40 as well. Plus, it's the only game i play. I thought it was going to be more for it to be honest. But as long as I am getting my gameplay, I will pay for all of them.
    Sim is life !
    Gaming Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdolzKVXRHZhBiMKXTdofw ( Don't be afraid to go subscribe )
  • Options
    marcel21 wrote: »

Where did you guy it?

I bought my Sims 3 EPs at Best Buy and Walmart, usually on release day or a few days after.
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    While your analysis of the prices is interesting, it's like with any hobby. They get expensive, sometimes the prices go up, sometimes they go down, sometimes they stay the same. If a person still really likes the hobby though, most likely they will pay money to do it. That is just how that goes and shouldn't really matter in the large scheme of things.
  • Options
    TreycoxTreycox Posts: 79 Member
    > @colton147 said:
    > There is no change in price. Same price as usual.
    >
    > The Sims is worth no matter the price.

To you it is. I'll need 2 or 15 MORE expansions, stuff packs, DLC's and/or patches for it to be worth the money I paid.
  • Options
    TreycoxTreycox Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2015
    > @GlamourSimmer said:
    > I honestly do not care that it's $40. The other EP was $40 as well. Plus, it's the only game i play. I thought it was going to be more for it to be honest. But as long as I am getting my gameplay, I will pay for all of them.

EA board members are counting on more people like you.
  • Options
    KizuKizu Posts: 3 New Member
    I would be happy if it was $40 here as well but nope its 39,90€ :\ I think EA could afford selling it "cheaper" in EU but no.. Ill try to stay strong and wait until its on sale someday :disappointed:
  • Options
    TheBritt2001TheBritt2001 Posts: 1 New Member
    Wow... so many people that think these prices are reasonable. Someone mentioned that the price of other new games could reach as much as $60. But those games would have $10 DLC. Not $40.

Here in the UK, for the Sims 3, I would get the Stuff Packs for about £10 and the major packs for about £20. That is cheaper than this current round of DLC. This may be because I would buy my DVDs a few weeks after release, rather than on the day. But it wasn't that much later. Unfortunately, with the Sims 4, everything is digital now so those prices aren't likely to drop except for being included in a sale.

The Sims DLC packs are very expensive and numerous - unlike other games. However Sims is one of those games that always wants to be expanded. And, if anything, Sims 4 *needs* to be expanded on to give it enough content to warrant the huge price tag.

Personally I think I'll wait for the sales when buying the majority of the DLC packs for Sims 4 because I'm just not convinced it's worth these prices.
  • Options
    wwonkwwonk Posts: 36 Member
    Honestly-- sales pop up so often because they charge so much per usual. Every time I log into Origin, it seems, there's a new sale for Sims games.

And, as a side-note: TS4 was expensive (since it's new), but IMHO, worth it. Sure, I had to mod here-and-there, but I really like it compared to TS3. It seems much more social and easier to handle, it's prettier, pretty much everything you look for in a sims game.

Oh, and even though there's a load of loading screens, they're a quick pass. The game isn't destroying my laptop like TS3 did to my last two.

And hey, I think they're listening to us. They made a nicer-looking game that loads quickly, offers new things, and INVITES modding. In the expansions and patches, they re-invite things we miss from the old games. (See: pools!)

I think the reason so many things are missing is because of functionality reasons. The game is so, so, sooo much more functional than TS3, and it *almost* has everything TS3 did, plus a few other things. Even if the deductions are annoying, (open world, create-a-style), there's things to make up for them.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    i paid for TS3 addpacks starting with 30€ & going up to 40€
    stuff packs were 15 to 20€
    i suppose the TS4 prices are going to be even steeper, we start were TS3 left off

still, it's not all about the prices, it has to be worth it
    i still don't think that OR is worth 20€, 16€ yes, 20€ no
    but i'll give GTW a try at 40€
    i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA