Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why would anyone pre-order GTW?

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2015
    In TS3, it was part of the excitement of an EP. It was this whole dance. There would be rumors then "leaks". An official announcement would be made usually at a walk through of some other stuff pack. There would be hints, trailers and walk throughs. Pre-ordering was part of the fun.

Now they don't seem to do much of that. We didn't get much besides trailers for the base game. Outdoor retreat got a trailer to a trailer then release. The walk through came the day of the release. For this one, we've gotten a trailer and an announcement. We'll see what, if anything, else we get before release.

I know that marketing doesn't come here but on the off chance that someone is watching/listening, I wasn't going to buy Supernatural. I was completely in the Seasons camp and very disappointed to hear the next EP was Supernatural. The marketing on that EP not only sold me but my husband was afraid I was going to be arrested for stalking the UPS man when it came out.

Please SELL me this EP. I'm intrigued but I don't trust you after the disappointment that was the base game.

Didn't Sims 3 offer incentives to pre-order though? That always annoyed me because I never preorder things so there was content I couldn't get. But yeah, it's not a matter of telling people what to do with their money. I'm genuinely curious as to why people preorder a digital copy of something without incentives as well.

In fact, I'd think being willing to preorder without incentives will make them less likely to offer incentives to do so. Ah well, it doesn't affect me except I won't have that annoyance of there being something in the game that I can't get.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Personal preference, I figure. Some like to be able to try out the new experiences as soon as it's available. Plus, there are some who have a following with the Let's Play or reviews Youtube videos. So they probably want to get it as soon as they can get a video up for their subscribers. Although I'm not the preorder type, I appreciate those who are and share the info about the game, EP, or SP (well, now Game Pack), so that the rest of us benefit from their knowledge.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    In TS3, it was part of the excitement of an EP. It was this whole dance. There would be rumors then "leaks". An official announcement would be made usually at a walk through of some other stuff pack. There would be hints, trailers and walk throughs. Pre-ordering was part of the fun.

Now they don't seem to do much of that. We didn't get much besides trailers for the base game. Outdoor retreat got a trailer to a trailer then release. The walk through came the day of the release. For this one, we've gotten a trailer and an announcement. We'll see what, if anything, else we get before release.

I know that marketing doesn't come here but on the off chance that someone is watching/listening, I wasn't going to buy Supernatural. I was completely in the Seasons camp and very disappointed to hear the next EP was Supernatural. The marketing on that EP not only sold me but my husband was afraid I was going to be arrested for stalking the UPS man when it came out.

Please SELL me this EP. I'm intrigued but I don't trust you after the disappointment that was the base game.

Didn't Sims 3 offer incentives to pre-order though? That always annoyed me because I never preorder things so there was content I couldn't get. But yeah, it's not a matter of telling people what to do with their money. I'm genuinely curious as to why people preorder a digital copy of something without incentives as well.

In fact, I'd think being willing to preorder without incentives will make them less likely to offer incentives to do so. Ah well, it doesn't affect me except I won't have that annoyance of there being something in the game that I can't get.

For me the incentives were dumb and I never ordered for them. A pet shop that didn't sell pets. A party statue. Ice furniture. A performance venue that wasn't any different than the performance venue that came with the game.

• Options
    Winifred_WWinifred_W Posts: 136 Member
    I pre-ordered because I have the money for the EP now and now I won't have to worry about it. It's a personal preference.
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    Nothing wrong with pre-ordering
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Alnairan wrote: »
    They want to download it right when it comes out? They don't want to bother with currency exchange rates closer to release (if their national currency is not available for some reason)? They have the money right now? They want to show the support for the franchise? They just want to stare at it in their library? They woke up saying "HEY I wanna preorder a game!"?
    I don't know, I suppose everyone has their own reasons to do or to not do something. It is none of my business anyway.
    And I do preorder games that have absolutely no bonus whatsoever if I really want that game, like Pokémon games.

Well-said.
  • Options
    Winifred_W wrote: »
    I pre-ordered because I have the money for the EP now and now I won't have to worry about it. It's a personal preference.

Me too.
  • Options
    smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I'm a member of a rewards program that earns me amazon.com giftcards. If I know there's something I'm going to want to use my giftcard balance on and it's available for preorder, I'll go ahead and preorder it when I have the balance (which I do not currently have for GTW, though once I do, I will) so that I don't have to worry about whether I might use it on something else before the game (or whatever) releases. Plus, amazon.com at least does a pre-order price guarantee, so if the price drops for ANY reason at all between preorder and shipping, I'd only be charged the lower price. Not that I really expect GTW to drop in price between now and release, but you never know.
  • Options
    RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    I always pre-order at GameStop because I like the looks I get when I walk in as the only girl in the store.

(Haha, jk).

• Options
    Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member
    I like to have physical copies of my games so I preorder games to make sure that I have a copy of it. And I usually preorder in person that way I can pay for half of the game when I preorder and the other half when it arrives. :)
  • Options
    burntcheese223burntcheese223 Posts: 1,157 Member
    I preordered because I want to. Also, I will be rather busy in the next few months so I ordered the physical copy from amazon. That way when it comes out, it will get sent right to me and I don't have to worry about ordering it after it releases... I mean, why not? And who really cares anyway?
  • Options
    JoewowrroxJoewowrrox Posts: 15 New Member
    I'll preorder it because it looks amazing and I need it. And if you don't like it then you can eat a bucket of KFC chicken and suffer from indigestion and heartburn.
  • Options
    1star4glitter71star4glitter7 Posts: 7 New Member
    I just pre ordered today!
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Can't recall whether sims 3 incentives were always ' noted' on Ep pre order the moment the game became available for pre order. I vaguely recall sometimes they came later. Maybe they are still to come, the pre order incentives. Could be tied up with that concept of premium membership, although my feeling is that it is delayed until general feeling improves. I think we will see bonus origin content for pre ordering but only time wil tell!
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Not sure, I don't do pre-orders because I like to read people's experiences or watch LPs. Even if I really like it, idk I just want to be smart with my money since I don't work often.
  • Options
    I preordered because I want to. Also, I will be rather busy in the next few months so I ordered the physical copy from amazon. That way when it comes out, it will get sent right to me and I don't have to worry about ordering it after it releases... I mean, why not? And who really cares anyway?

OMG! I love your Gallery sims!
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    I don't see much reasons either other than they just desperately want it and plan on buying it on the first day anyways. I for one would wait a bit to see other reviews and how other Simmers feel before even considering to buy. I'm not making the same mistake I did with Sims 4.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    burntcheese223burntcheese223 Posts: 1,157 Member

OMG! I love your Gallery sims!

Thank you! I am glad you like them :)
  • Options
    Thursday10pmThursday10pm Posts: 193 Member
    With Sims 3 the American release was on a tuesday (?) and the European on the friday. I always preordered with gamestop 'cos they delivered on thursday and I loved getting the game a day early. (Especially since I usually have Thursdays off work :smiley: ) I preordered sims 4. Gamestop didn't let me down and delivered a day early as normal however EA and Origin wouldn't let me play until official european release. I no longer have a reason to preorder :disappointed:

I never preordered for the content, just for the convenience of having releases fit in with my work schedule. Four refuses to work with my schedule and has been somewhat lacklustre in content. I can wait......
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    People want instant gratification, and they believe pre-ordering is getting them one step closer to that, even though it's not.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I always pre-order at GameStop because I like the looks I get when I walk in as the only girl in the store.

(Haha, jk).

Haha! Whenever I go into Gamestop to buy console games that I like(Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc) the guys are always like 'Are you getting that for your husband or boyfriend?' And are always shocked when I tell them its for me. Yes, girls do play games and can be plum good at them too! :smirk:
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    Glic2003 wrote: »
    People want instant gratification, and they believe pre-ordering is getting them one step closer to that, even though it's not.

It is. There are now less steps for me to get the game.

Preload at night.

Just wake-up and play it.
  • Options
    ThatSwaggieThatSwaggie Posts: 255 Member
    I try not to pre order beforehand just to see if I like it or not by watching other reviewers, but i usually crack midway and pre order it anyways. it is a terrible habit
    tumblr_nuspl0ybfb1u94f66o4_540.gif

• Options

(Haha, jk).

Haha! Whenever I go into Gamestop to buy console games that I like(Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, etc) the guys are always like 'Are you getting that for your husband or boyfriend?' And are always shocked when I tell them its for me. Yes, girls do play games and can be plum good at them too! :smirk:

48% of gamers are women nowadays.

Untitled_1.jpg

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gaming-no-longer-a-mans-world-1408464249
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I'm a member of a rewards program that earns me amazon.com giftcards. If I know there's something I'm going to want to use my giftcard balance on and it's available for preorder, I'll go ahead and preorder it when I have the balance (which I do not currently have for GTW, though once I do, I will) so that I don't have to worry about whether I might use it on something else before the game (or whatever) releases. Plus, amazon.com at least does a pre-order price guarantee, so if the price drops for ANY reason at all between preorder and shipping, I'd only be charged the lower price. Not that I really expect GTW to drop in price between now and release, but you never know.

I also have an Amazon credit card, but I can never bring myself to use my points at Amazon -- I do a statement credit. The reason is Amazon gives 3% back on all purchases through them on the card, but that doesn't extend to gift points. I just do the statement credit and round down for my Amazon purchases.

Wow, that really does show what an incredible cheapskate I am!