Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The new expansion looks great, but....

People need to remember we've all been burned by E.A. before. None of us have actually played the game yet, so we dont know how good, detailed and interesting the game play will turn out. Open for business was my favourite expansion so i hope this one will deliver. I'm not going to get my hopes up though only to be disappointed when I get it. Remember EA have a great advertising department.

As for those who are thinking of pre-ordering, i'd advise not to, unless absolutely necessary. Pre-Ordering comes from the days when you'd buy a physical copy from the shop and you wanted to guarantee a copy on day one. Now a days a lot of people get digital copies, this means shops rarely sell out of physical copies and well there is an unlimited supply of digital copies. So unless you are ordering a physical copy from amazon or something and you want to receive your game day one, then really there is not much benefit to pre ordering. As for pre order bonus, these are usually objects that are in the game and then taken out and set aside for those who pre-order. Its a pretty plum practice. We all pay the same price (some pay more) for the game we should all get the same content. Pre ordering is great for EA but bad for every consumer. If enough people buy the game before release then it doesnt really matter how good the game. We've seen the quality of EA games drop over the years. If more people bought games after the release and after reviews then EA would have to make sure they are releasing a good game if they want to be successful.

That's just my two cents. While the game looks great in pictures and trailers, it's far from guaranteed this will be a good game. Looking at the standard of games EA and Maxis has released in the pasts few years and I know its best to air on the side of caution.

Comments

• Options
    LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    I agree. But i expect... in the least, the expansion will contain our favorite aspects of both Open for business and Ambitions. And i'm hoping for new and improved game play !!
  • Options
    CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    I agree with your entire post. That's why I'm not buying the expansion pack as I know and am aware of EA's track record when it comes to ALL of its games. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. I'm just waiting to see how long people are excited about it, until they get their hands on the pack and its shininess wears off.

When that day comes, I'd be hiding in my small, but cozy bunker as the forum turns into a battlefield, descending into utter chaos and bloodshed. :open_mouth:
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree. There have been a bunch of times, especially with sims 3, where I would think an ep worked a certain way based on what the trailer showed. Then when I actually go and play the ep, I find out that the gameplay was nothing like what the trailer "suggested" lol.

I can't help but to be a little excited for this ep though.... ;)
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    I made that mistake with TS3, not making it again, now i aways watch gameplay videos on youtube before i decide to buy. But i have to say that TS4 pleased me with the base game, did not buy OR because it is too expensive right now.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    Well, I already pre-ordered.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well said, OP! Let's not get too hasty here, remeber what happened before everyone brought TS4 and then everyone was disapointed when it came out?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    Well said, OP! Let's not get too hasty here, remeber what happened before everyone brought TS4 and then everyone was disapointed when it came out?

Not everyone.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Well, with The Sims 4 trailers, they've been pretty much "what you see is what you get". When you look at the Outdoor Retreat trailer, NOTHING was shown that we couldn't do in-game.
    Same with the Sims 4 trailers.
    The Sims 3 was the game where EA made the game look better than it was, ESPECIALLY with Picture advertising.

But with the Sims 4, it's been a very honest marketing campaign, and nothing I've seen in a trailer wasn't in the game.

• Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    considering that it took months after every sims 3 expansion for ea to fix it back to only half-broken... i humbly predict wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forums a week after this s4 expansion has been released. you've just gotta love predictability.
  • Options
    ems0309ems0309 Posts: 541 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Well, with The Sims 4 trailers, they've been pretty much "what you see is what you get". When you look at the Outdoor Retreat trailer, NOTHING was shown that we couldn't do in-game.
    The Sims 3 was the game where EA made the game look better than it was, ESPECIALLY with Picture advertising.

But with the Sims 4, it's been a very honest marketing campaign, and nothing I've seen in a trailer wasn't in the game.

Completely agree with this!!! At least with this game its been very honest in advertising and I have enjoyed the base game and game pack. Excited to be able to open a shop again.
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    You must have missed this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4hVTV1bfbQ

Hum no food fights in TS4, you can't shove people in the pool, I really don't see anything in this trailer you can actually do except the very first thing OH wait nope they don't kiss like that either! :\
  • Options
    ems0309ems0309 Posts: 541 Member
    Yeah I missed that one I admit. But the other ones are pretty much accurate. After watching that trailer I realize it wasn't very well thought out or put together.
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    Oh, and some day, the world will end.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Terrylin wrote: »

Hum no food fights in TS4, you can't shove people in the pool, I really don't see anything in this trailer you can actually do except the very first thing OH wait nope they don't kiss like that either! :\

I realize that it says trailer but it's more of a commercial and we all know it. It's different because it's real people.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    Terrylin wrote: »

I realize that it says trailer but it's more of a commercial and we all know it. It's different because it's real people.

Oh thanks I didn't know that! Then that does make a difference! :)
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Terrylin wrote: »

That's displaying what the concept of the Sims is, and what the point of the game is.
    It's not saying what's in the game. That's a completely different type of trailer.

If it used in-game Sims doing those actions, then it would be different. The trailer is just trying to show the new generation what kind of game The Sims is.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member

I agree. The trailer above me could be what is coming up, I hope. If you look at the site's front page, we don't have beaches ect., but all of these must be clues as to what is coming. I think some type of Seasons as many agree that these should be added soon. Don't get me wrong, I want toddlers, vampires, and farming, but I do think weather should be present at the beginning as well as toddlers and pets.

As for S3 and anything to do with that, it was understood that the S3 engine was messed up and that some fixes just were either difficult or they couldn't be done. Maxis wasn't even with S3 until the end, so I think S4 is a different story. They have a whole section set up to report problems not counting the bugs and technical forums and they are actively trying to fix bugs. It may not be fair to compare a simulation game like this to a regular game as the two don't have the same gameplay. I think they have improved things and are trying.

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Nope- a Game trailer is a Commercial and that is Commercial is about the game. It's a lie.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    The 'You rule' trailer is bound to make people think the game is full of things you can't do. I'm sorry but I don't see anything more honest about it than previous sims games adverts!
    Adverts are adverts. I'm pretty sure some don't think to themselves 'oh this trailer will have nothing to do with real game play-it's a concept' and if that's the idea it should be stated so at the start of the advert-like you see on many games adverts *just to avoid the confusion issues*

@davina1221 I appreciate your excitement and hope for the future :) but I don't think some of your post was accurate. Plenty had fully functioning Ts3 games and others used fixes which EA never got round to doing which made a great deal of difference to the performance. I don't think anything like that was 'understood' and TS3 had the same areas for discussing issues
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/list.page there's a technical section, and a possible bugs section further down too :)
  • Options
    NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    I totally agree in OP.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited February 2015
    The 'You rule' trailer is bound to make people think the game is full of things you can't do. I'm sorry but I don't see anything more honest about it than previous sims games adverts!
    Adverts are adverts. I'm pretty sure some don't think to themselves 'oh this trailer will have nothing to do with real game play-it's a concept' and if that's the idea it should be stated so at the start of the advert-like you see on many games adverts *just to avoid the confusion issues*

@davina1221 I appreciate your excitement and hope for the future :) but I don't think some of your post was accurate. Plenty had fully functioning Ts3 games and others used fixes which EA never got round to doing which made a great deal of difference to the performance. I don't think anything like that was 'understood' and TS3 had the same areas for discussing issues
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/list.page there's a technical section, and a possible bugs section further down too :)

I didn't know it if Origin gave Crinrict a personal page for S3 bugs on the Origin site; to my knowledge there wasn't, if so, then I just never saw it. Can you give me the link to the S3 Origins game bug site?. This wouldn't be on the S3 site at all, but somewhere else. I saw a S3 forum for bugs, but not what they have set up for S4. I think even Crinrict mention being excited about this new spot for making posts about bugs. It isn't the two set up here for S4, but takes you off this site.
    I believe you are correct about some things not being fixed. Not sure they fixed fountains for example.

All I know is the proof of what I saw. After taking out cc and not ever having mods, my game never messed up. I took cc out before Supernatural came out and never had issues after that; ever. I think mods/cc and the fact that the engine was flawed to begin with was the problem. It was also the first question asked when you called for customer service. Was there things that they could've done? Maybe, but by then, they knew S4 was coming and S3 was flawed and some things couldn't be accomplished. I won't answer back on this post as they will take it off and put us both in quarantine, but as we are neither a team or EA official, then I guess we will just have to wait and see.
    Post edited by davina1221 on
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    The only thing I fear are the two new areas, The Hospital/Police Station neighborhood in Willow Creek and the Science Lab in Oasis Springs. are those really areas we can go to, change the lot types and customize freely? I hope they are.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member

Firstly, I want to point out that I do not have the game, and that I've never played it myself. I have, however, watched some gameplay videos.

So, I'll have to disagree with you. I feel like there are many things in the sims 4 trailers, that are a bit "different" in the actual game. For instance, in the original trailer for the basegame, Obama photobombed a couple taking a selfie. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I believe there is no such thing as photobombing in the base game. And also, how can we forget the staged photo of a sim holding a baby (with the bassinet thoughtfully cropped out)?
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited February 2015
    It's all in how you look at it. I wasn't disappointed with TS4, I wasn't disappointed with OR and I loved Ambitions from TS3. I think I'm pretty safe in assuming I'll like this EP, so I pre-ordered it. I don't pre-order anything unless I have prior experience with the game (Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD), it's a game in a similar genre from a dev I trust (like Gal Civ III from Stardock, which I did cave and buy even though I can't stand Early Access) or a game that was already out in Japan and is proven to be good (like Bravely Default). It's not a perfect system, but I can always cancel if I don't like what I'm hearing before release (like I did with Mass Effect 3).
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm not excited. The trailer makes it look like all the new careers are careers you watch your sim do. Running businesses was something that never appealed to me in OFB, and I really hated all the silly running around town my sim had to do in Ambitions. I don't want to watch or control my sims at work. I'm actually a little disappointed that this is the first EP. Chances are, I'll probably wind up liking it becaue my expectations are pretty low at this point.

I was actually kind of irked to see a semblance of all my favourite careers in the trailor and seeing the sims actually playing those roles. I was kind of hoping to just have those careers back; not to have my sim play them out. This could just be fancy advertising though, and maybe it's nothing like it seems.

This is exactly what happened with the base game, actually. My expectations were low, and I wound up really liking it. Either way, I'm just not really excited about it. I wasn't excited about OR either, which I still haven't gotten, but that might change once I get back to playing on the weekend. I think all my excitement was pretty much K.O'd after S3 came out. I just got used to being disappointed.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5