Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we please get real about what is actually possible?

Comments

• Options
    brainybeebrainybee Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'd love to have some input from @Anavastia on this - although I've seen some good comments she's made on other threads :smile:
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    In truth, what I think made me lose faith in the game may be a bit silly. I actually had fun with the game until the loading screen times pretty much confined me to one lot and I got bored. Anyway, it was the farts in Outdoor Retreat. I am not sure that anyone was asking for any more potty humor -- people complain and/or mock "angry poops" everywhere already. A lot of people have been asking for more romantic interactions including cuddling while laying down (very expensive apparently) and more kiss interactions. So what do they add to their first game pack? More farts.

That convinced me more than anything that I am not the target audience, and they're not going to go out of their way to include content for people like me.

Edit: As the mom of four children, I was relieved when my kids outgrew fart jokes. I get that there's humor there, but not only are the potty jokes in the game, but they are far too prevalent. Funny once or twice, but for 60th time? Not funny any more.

My son is still in the fart joke phase and he and my mom once set off a whole aisle full of farting dogs in a toy store... it's hard not to laugh about it when he laughs because it's contagious! But all the humor in the game (and especially the fart jokes) just makes it... tacky. I had this idea that I'd buy the gp/ep's if the game was ever fixed but I found out about the farting and just ... no. I will never buy OR, even if they fix ts4, for that reason alone.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    brainybee wrote: »
    A lot of posts since last time I was on! I have been re-reading the tech talk thread and some of the tech forum threads and I am more convinced than ever that there are certain things that will NEVER be possible in Sims 4 and some things that they will not make the choice to fix because it is not cost effective. I would love to hear your thoughts after reading through things @ModerateOsprey. Also, good idea about using a chance-card type mechanism to allow players to make decisions about families they are not actively playing!

I reread it last night & depressed myself, because I came to the same conclusion.
    "Anything is possible" is what gurus are saying when they actually mean "probably not." It's much like "we hear you" and "we're looking into it." Mostly, it's like when your mom or dad pats your on the head, ruffles your hair, and says "maybe" when they really mean no but don't want a fit.

Anything is possible, so long as it's not too hard or expensive. :\
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    In truth, what I think made me lose faith in the game may be a bit silly. I actually had fun with the game until the loading screen times pretty much confined me to one lot and I got bored. Anyway, it was the farts in Outdoor Retreat. I am not sure that anyone was asking for any more potty humor -- people complain and/or mock "angry poops" everywhere already. A lot of people have been asking for more romantic interactions including cuddling while laying down (very expensive apparently) and more kiss interactions. So what do they add to their first game pack? More farts.

That convinced me more than anything that I am not the target audience, and they're not going to go out of their way to include content for people like me.

Edit: As the mom of four children, I was relieved when my kids outgrew fart jokes. I get that there's humor there, but not only are the potty jokes in the game, but they are far too prevalent. Funny once or twice, but for 60th time? Not funny any more.

My son is still in the fart joke phase and he and my mom once set off a whole aisle full of farting dogs in a toy store... it's hard not to laugh about it when he laughs because it's contagious! But all the humor in the game (and especially the fart jokes) just makes it... tacky. I had this idea that I'd buy the gp/ep's if the game was ever fixed but I found out about the farting and just ... no. I will never buy OR, even if they fix ts4, for that reason alone.

Yes it's very puerile. They shouldn't need to try so hard-previous games were subtle but very funny!
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    I'd love to have some input from @Anavastia on this - although I've seen some good comments she's made on other threads :smile:

Aww thats sweet of you Brainybee. *huggles*

At best all I can say is as a customer there is a long list of expectations i have with my video games in order for me to place money into them. As fan I'm like you i want to support a game that I love and have loved for the full 15 years. These conflict with what a business will do, and what dev's are capable of.

Developing game mechanics and even art take time. In the business world that time equates to costs. The more time a project takes the more that feature costs to make it.

Honestly money is the only limitation here this sims team has. For that it's not that anything we want isn't feasible it's all feasible, the guru's aren't being dishonest in that aspect. However it's just they aren't including the whole scenerio that goes into making a game. it's easy to not reject fans than it is to say im sorry i just don't have the time. The reason why that's easy is what is always the counter argument?

Well you had time in sims 2 and sims 3, it's not the fans fault you don't have time with sims 4? That's expectation that fans should hold on to because it's true in every way. However it's also true they don't have time.

So now we have a big fat circle of no time, and you should have made time arguments. Eventually there is nothing else to be said so things get quiet. All fans are left to do here is wait with no word as to what is going on. Stressful situation right?

I think dev's should start to do developer workshops. Take content that you've already done showcase how it's built, what kind of work goes into. Do career day workshops, show case what the individual jobs of the different types of dev's do. I wish they would listen about this, because education is your best marketing. It helps players to see timelines what's releasitic, what's possible, what goes into the work that you do, and creates better relationship between fan and dev.

I also think players should have representatives of they're playstyles that discuss the aspects of what's going in the game, what's appealing and what's not and how they can compliment each other and coexist. In other words EA needs to take the lead in building the foundation for a better gaming community that gets to work with dev's and not just complain against them. I did not like the idea of Yibsims because yibsim only represented the creative portion of the community it did not represent the actual community of sim players. That is a protection for dev and player because you can have a better understanding through your customer when you're actually getting the conversations from the player. However i like the idea of continuous player content and with players who are not scared to say this is not fun or enjoyable or this is lacking please consider this feature or problem.

That being this is wishful thinking on my part. I'd like to know personally what direction EA is planning to go from here. Are we still trying to go after another long drawn out battle of chasing after a trend. First it was online gaming now they shift to mobile gaming. If that is the case just be honest and tell us players so we know what we're getting into and some of us can just opt out of this. I don't want ot play a mobile game on my pc that makes no sense and its not fun. Please make your minds what want to do cause th is getting laughable and yet saddening at the same time.
  • Options
    Well said @Anavastia :smiley:
  • Options
    I agree @Anavastia they need sensible customer representatives to get honest feedback from. Target people you know are sensible, able to speak for many, not just themselves and who give effective feedback in terms of clear concise constructive criticism. Show you appreciate the wonderful community you have supporting you EA! ;)
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Anavastia wrote: »

I also think players should have representatives of they're playstyles that discuss the aspects of what's going in the game, what's appealing and what's not and how they can compliment each other and coexist.

=

Only thing with this sims devs have laughed at this notation in videos many times. They laugh off that they should listen to their fanbase because most of our rants/ideas are beyond sane... but in honesty most of the best ideas for the game comes from the fanbase. A lot of smaller companies have hand picked community representatives. These representatives are picked by the staff and the most loyal fans! The sims 4 needs this badly. EA needs diehard sim lovers right their in the mix helping them mold a better sims game.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    SuRihtanil wrote: »

I also think players should have representatives of they're playstyles that discuss the aspects of what's going in the game, what's appealing and what's not and how they can compliment each other and coexist.

=

Only thing with this sims devs have laughed at this notation in videos many times. They laugh off that they should listen to their fanbase because most of our rants/ideas are beyond sane... but in honesty most of the best ideas for the game comes from the fanbase. A lot of smaller companies have hand picked community representatives. These representatives are picked by the staff and the most loyal fans! The sims 4 needs this badly. EA needs diehard sim lovers right their in the mix helping them mold a better sims game.

Well we all know what happens to business that laugh at the customers rather than listen. Hows that money rolling in for them?

You're right the best ideas and even fixes come from customers. Hence equally those customers do need to be educated on what goes into game developement as do we all and should all. So it's good to do developer workshops to understand what is what. I would place our pour simmers in the of fire with out first giving them the tools to understand what's going on.

Yes something needs to be done because there is just way to much miscommunication between dev and player.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

...And this is why they created Yibsims. They weren't nearly as interested in hearing from us as they were in us hearing them. They "handpicked" players with large social media followings to get their message across, not the other way around.
  • Options

=

Well we all know what happens to business that laugh at the customers rather than listen. Hows that money rolling in for them?

You're right the best ideas and even fixes come from customers. Hence equally those customers do need to be educated on what goes into game developement as do we all and should all. So it's good to do developer workshops to understand what is what. I would place our pour simmers in the of fire with out first giving them the tools to understand what's going on.

Yes something needs to be done because there is just way to much miscommunication between dev and player.

It's rude if that's the case and now I see exactly why they are struggling.

Easy to laugh off criticism and dismiss it-not so easy to fix the problems caused by faux pride if you can't look beyond your own narrow mind.

They've benefitted more than they seem to realise from their community. We've supported this game not only financially but we've provided free promotion, encouraged each other through helping when their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, through modders fixing the game, in gifting between each other-in all sorts of ways they obviously don't appreciate.

When you don't appreciate customers you find they feel they don't deserve to be treated badly and disappear. They need to be very, very careful in mocking the customer base because that's biting the hand that feeds you.
  • Options
    I came across this article from last year about the future of single-person offline gaming vs. online MMO. They are talking specifically about things like FPSs, but this is what the suits at EA are thinking. They use this model for their other games. They are trying to bring the Sims franchise more in line with the gaming industry as a whole. It gets really interesting when you get down to the section "The Money Behind MultiPlayer."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/14/single-player-gamers-destiny-solo-activision-grand-theft-forza

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Is nobody else wondering what EA is doing? The silence on Expansion packs?

Sims1
    base game released Feb 4, 2000
    first EP released Aug 31, 2000
    =6 months=

Sims2
    base game released Sept 14, 2004
    first EP released Mar 1, 2005
    =6 months=

Sims3
    base game released June 2, 2009
    first EP released Nov 17, 2009
    =5 months=

right now it has been 4 1/2 months since base game release and NO EP ANNOUNCEMENT, just some 'game pack' release

will there BE expansion packs or are these glorified stuffpacks going to be the way of the future from EA?

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    I came across this article from last year about the future of single-person offline gaming vs. online MMO. They are talking specifically about things like FPSs, but this is what the suits at EA are thinking. They use this model for their other games. They are trying to bring the Sims franchise more in line with the gaming industry as a whole. It gets really interesting when you get down to the section "The Money Behind MultiPlayer."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/14/single-player-gamers-destiny-solo-activision-grand-theft-forza

Well I will be the player who won't be interested in the slightest! I'd rather play no game than have to play online with others!
  • Options
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Is nobody else wondering what EA is doing? The silence on Expansion packs?

Sims1
    base game released Feb 4, 2000
    first EP released Aug 31, 2000
    =6 months=

Sims2
    base game released Sept 14, 2004
    first EP released Mar 1, 2005
    =6 months=

Sims3
    base game released June 2, 2009
    first EP released Nov 17, 2009
    =5 months=

right now it has been 4 1/2 months since base game release and NO EP ANNOUNCEMENT, just some 'game pack' release

will there BE expansion packs or are these glorified stuffpacks going to be the way of the future from EA?

Yes interesting isn't it? *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    Okay, okay... I just got done chatting with my dad. At his job, for the last few years, he, as a software engineer, has been working with his team to completely retool some software. He says it is tough, frustrating, but is very rewarding; he wants to please his customers. His team listens to customers and takes into consideration what they want.

The project is very, very tough and complex. Testers, designers... but it can be done and he knows he will make profit from the project once it is done. EA should undergo a massive retooling of Sims 4. They say it is tough, and it is. It is VERY tough. But they make games, they want to please their customers. So why don't they go the extra mile?

So, anything is possible for Sims 4. The only problem comes from: what changes does EA want to make? Technically, we as consumers, pay EA. In a way, we are the bosses. This fanbase is massive, and I know EA takes notice.

I feel like this was very rhetorical, but I thought it might help to add some of this.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member

Well I will be the player who won't be interested in the slightest! I'd rather play no game than have to play online with others!

I have no interest in playing Sims with others. I play MMOs with friends, the Sims is for me.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Reading the Simulation Tech Talk thread has further put me off with the Sims team and producers. I am not faulting all the SimGurus, they have to do what the head of the teams tell them but my faith in their abilities have been at an all time low. I also don't believe toddlers will be added because of this little diddy posted by SimGuruMax, back in September about babies being tied to their cribs. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12642962/#Comment_12642962
    ScreenShot316.png
    ScreenShot317.png

Sooo, since they find it's better to not simulate picking up baby, putting down baby, carrying them around because it's a huge headache and "not worth it". That is the way I feel about the whole game, the presentation is missing the little things that hold charm because it's "not worth it" and a headache to animate. Those little things where the very thing that I came to love about the game, it's much deeper than whether babies will be allowed to break free from the crib or toddlers being added. Since being entertaining and giving the PC sims fans worthwhile enjoyment is "not worth it" then how can I feel like throwing my money at them? If the same producers that had a hand in creating the game since Sims 2 can't think to make cheats persistent from game play to gallery then how can I have faith in their abilities? I don't think they cared because it wasn't an issue until people "complained". Even that is considered an annoyance by some in the community, yet they also gain from the benefits of those complaints.

A new Sims game, with new possibilities? No thank you, it's not worth it to impress me, then it's not worth the effort for me to reach for my wallet to buy anything in this series.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    MiffoShortMiffoShort Posts: 1,901 Member
    Pretty much The Sims series has always been a Single Player game and has been for the past 15 years and I don't see EA changing this ever. The Sims long running games, like 1, 2, 3 and 4 has always been offline and will probably always will be :) I think if there ever is an online life simulation game then your looking at a new game series...

I doubt The Sims will ever go online, I just can't see it happening. Besides I'm more of an offline person myself ;)

Matthew.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    MiffoShort wrote: »
    Pretty much The Sims series has always been a Single Player game and has been for the past 15 years and I don't see EA changing this ever. The Sims long running games, like 1, 2, 3 and 4 has always been offline and will probably always will be :) I think if there ever is an online life simulation game then your looking at a new game series...

I doubt The Sims will ever go online, I just can't see it happening. Besides I'm more of an offline person myself ;)

Matthew.

They did make it online...back years ago. It crashed. Why they would think it would work is beyond me. Sims IS a single person game.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member

Their previous CEO, John Riccitiello, was saying that (every game should be online, that's where they were taking all their games), but I haven't heard anything about it specifically from EA since he left. That's probably why SimCity 5 and TS4 were originally multiplayer games that were changed to single-player later. They realized their mistake.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited January 2015
    blewis823 wrote: »
    Reading the Simulation Tech Talk thread has further put me off with the Sims team and producers. I am not faulting all the SimGurus, they have to do what the head of the teams tell them but my faith in their abilities have been at an all time low. I also don't believe toddlers will be added because of this little diddy posted by SimGuruMax, back in September about babies being tied to their cribs. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12642962/#Comment_12642962
    ScreenShot316.png
    ScreenShot317.png

Sooo, since they find it's better to not simulate picking up baby, putting down baby, carrying them around because it's a huge headache and "not worth it". That is the way I feel about the whole game, the presentation is missing the little things that hold charm because it's "not worth it" and a headache to animate. Those little things where the very thing that I came to love about the game, it's much deeper than whether babies will be allowed to break free from the crib or toddlers being added. Since being entertaining and giving the PC sims fans worthwhile enjoyment is "not worth it" then how can I feel like throwing my money at them? If the same producers that had a hand in creating the game since Sims 2 can't think to make cheats persistent from game play to gallery then how can I have faith in their abilities? I don't think they cared because it wasn't an issue until people "complained". Even that is considered an annoyance by some in the community, yet they also gain from the benefits of those complaints.

A new Sims game, with new possibilities? No thank you, it's not worth it to impress me, then it's not worth the effort for me to reach for my wallet to buy anything in this series.

Wow! You manage to find quotes that make me more sad about the game.
    So babies are too much work that just isn't worth it. Sims 2 and 3 didn't have the problem but devs from 2014 need to revert to Sims 1 technology. How are they even allowed to write that? It just makes the team and game look 10 times worse. Whit hat in mind, everyone hoping for toddlers might as well forget it or bet that the parents can't carry it around if it's not tied to a playpen.

Everything is just too hard. You know what else is hard? Having respect for a company like this and buy the game :/
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    So the multitasking animations are putting overheads onto the game?
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    blewis823 wrote: »
    ScreenShot316.png
    ScreenShot317.png

Wow! You manage to find quotes that make me more sad about the game.
    So babies are too much work. Sims 2 and 3 didn't have the problem but devs from 2014 need to revert to Sims 1 technology. How are they even allowed to write that? It just makes the team and game look 10 times worse. Whit hat in mind, everyone hoping for toddlers might as well forget it or bet that the parents can't carry it around if it's not tied to a playpen.

Everything is just too hard. You know what else is hard? Having respect for a company like this and buy the game :/

In his defence he has pointed out that development is a zero sum game and that their primary enemy is complexity. They made a decision to go with the multitasking and the socialisation system as the main thrust of the game. Fair play, that is a designer's decision. No one is ever going to be able to put everything they want in a game.

As it happens, babies don't interest me personally (well, not since my real ones grew up) and I would much rather have deeper socialisation and multitasking than the ability to carry a baby. It may not be a popular decision, but his comments do show that they did think about it in some depth.

I haven't read the entirety of that thread yet, but I find quite a lot to be encouraged by in a lot of what I have read. Mainly, that the development team are focusing on simulation, though not everyone is going to get all the elements they want.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member

I'm sorry Bon but it has to become a reality for me and I wanted to show why I come to the realization that Sims 4 is not the game for me. I quoted your last sentence to further solidify my reasons for being hard against Sims 4. *I am sad*
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.