Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Elaborate Animals Unlikely?

Comments

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    LOL @ quantity over quality when you will get neither.
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    I think he's talking in terms of "it's difficult and expensive to do in relation to the payoff."

What exactly is the "payoff" in a video game? Oh yeah, its entertainment.

Silly me to think our entertainment being the "payoff" wouldn't make it too difficult to do non sim NPCs in the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DF_t5gcrg

I imagine payoff as in how much gameplay will be benefited from it, a feature with limited interactions and limited gameplay, that takes a lot of work is going to cut into resources that could be better uses for a feature that actually offers gameplay.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thetford wrote: »
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    I think he's talking in terms of "it's difficult and expensive to do in relation to the payoff."

What exactly is the "payoff" in a video game? Oh yeah, its entertainment.

Silly me to think our entertainment being the "payoff" wouldn't make it too difficult to do non sim NPCs in the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DF_t5gcrg

I imagine payoff as in how much gameplay will be benefited from it, a feature with limited interactions and limited gameplay, that takes a lot of work is going to cut into resources that could be better uses for a feature that actually offers gameplay.

So you couldn't create a NPC class for all future animals?

You guys are killing me, that was probably exactly their attitude with toddlers when they were up for consideration.

• Options
    KaelKael Posts: 2,197 Member
    Sometimes the gurus should just not answer certain questions. The amount of verbal diarrhea I've seen from them is insane. You should NEVER answer a customer question or request with "It would be too difficult and expensive." If I ever did that while working my bosses would have my head.
  • Options
    SenbreSenbre Posts: 997 Member
    edited January 2015
    they are just lying. sims 2 also had NPC penguins. why sims 2 can sims 4 can't?
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2015
    Kael wrote: »
    Sometimes the gurus should just not answer certain questions. The amount of verbal diarrhea I've seen from them is insane. You should NEVER answer a customer question or request with "It would be too difficult and expensive." If I ever did that while working my bosses would have my head.
    This, so much this. They really need to keep their mouth shut, because every time they say something all I can see is unprofessional amateur developers that give answers that would typically get you fired. "Interesting idea, it's not in our current roadmap but we'll keep it in mind" or something along those lines is what decent developers usually say, not "Waah too much money and it's haaaard" what?

And please, save the excuse of expensive and hard to do. Well, actually I can buy the "It's hard to do" given how poorly written their code is in both TS3 and TS4, I've seen indie developers outperform not only them but AAA titles countless times. I've seen indie developers with limited budget go above and beyond to bring to life features that are 5x more complex and resource costing than anything you may see in this game (I'm talking about building a volumetric physics engine and logical environments with in-built programming capabilities) Revenue is important of course, but lacking passion in what you do will really show in quality.
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    I totally agree with Kael, they are their own worst enemy in many ways. We don't want to hear about time and money as consumers, it's really off putting and it's 2015, the franchise has been going for over ten years, it's really sad that the stuff we want in the game to really bring it to life has to be begged for and meet all these conditions. I could understand it from a struggling indie company but this is EA. It's ridiculous.

My thoughts when they mention those kinds of problems.

1. Hard to implement, takes a lot of time to make. Well, we have patience, we can wait as long as it takes as long as the end result is worth it.

2. Too expensive? Are you kidding? We pay through the nose for everything, if you don't have enough cash to build a decent game what the hell are you doing with the money you get from us? I understand the gurus are just builders and the company is really too blame. EA needs to give the team some more staff and a much bigger budget because we shouldn't have to compromise on features when we are funding them more than enough.

I didn't make this thread to bash the game or the company. I bought the game as well as Outdoor Retreat so I am sticking with the company in good faith for now. I just hope that they realise we really want certain things and are willing to go the extra mile to create it regardless of the heavy workload (because we as Sims fans deserve the best game it can be) ;)

I think the game has potential if that 'no can do' attitude disappears from now. We've lost open worlds and colour wheels, those are likely to never return. That's compromise enough.
  • Options
    Thebookthief24Thebookthief24 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Oh please. As much as of you don't realize it , making a game is expensive , and The Sims team obviously has a budget.
    "Clearly , I have made some bad decisions."
  • Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    It seems we are going to get pets (if we ever going to get pets) way later in the game if they are in fact that expensive (sucks, but I understand is all business). I'm starting to believe is going to be very hard now to ever get toddlers if the bear for them seems expensive and difficult.
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    Kael wrote: »

At least they are honest and give the harsh truth. :'( Rather that, than all the mystery and silence.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    As a customer I do not want to hear 'its too hard' or 'its too expensive'. Especially given the fortune we all know we spend on the sims series.
    A better way to handle this would be 'Thats a great idea, I will pass it on but no promises'. Automatically then peoples reactions would be far more favourable, even though essentially we know no more.
    I dont wish to see behind the 'magic' that is the sims. I want to know that they will be given sufficient budget to do really exciting things with the series and to reflect the kind of fortune we have all paid in over the years, and I want to know the talent will be able to reach their full potential with that financial support.
  • Options
    I'm fully aware it is EA who have control of the time restrictions and specified budget. It's up to the gurus to decide what they want to do with it though and I hope they don't necessarily throw away ideas because they are too much work. If the base game is anything to go by it's 'cut this big feature to make mutiple little features' and I don't think that is necessarily the best way to please us at all.

Anyway whatever, that isn't what I made the thread for. I get the feeling our wants and desires for the game will be deemed too excessive and unrealistic but I really hope i'm wrong. I want that farming pack with awesome looking farm animals and realistic interactions!

I don't doubt we'll get the generic pets pack though. That's always been a firm favourite.
  • Options
    The Sims team obviously has a budget.

Yeah, its painfully obvious this time around.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    As a customer I do not want to hear 'its too hard' or 'its too expensive'. Especially given the fortune we all know we spend on the sims series.
    A better way to handle this would be 'Thats a great idea, I will pass it on but no promises'. Automatically then peoples reactions would be far more favourable, even though essentially we know no more.
    I dont wish to see behind the 'magic' that is the sims. I want to know that they will be given sufficient budget to do really exciting things with the series and to reflect the kind of fortune we have all paid in over the years, and I want to know the talent will be able to reach their full potential with that financial support.

Judging from how much content they cut from the sims 4 and money they got from the sims 3, they should have so much money saved by now. It is pretty upsetting somehow they still don't want to spend much when this series has been so successful. But like I said, personally rather hear what they are really thinking, than them sugar coating their answer.
  • Options
    RARAW wrote: »

Judging from how much content they cut from the sims 4 and they got from the sims 3, they should have so much money saved by now. It is pretty upsetting somehow they still don't want to spend much when this series has been so successful. But like I said, personally rather hear what they are really thinking, than them sugar coating their answer.

Yes, if its an official message maybe. But I am not sure twitter counts as a good judge of what the official message from the entire team is, its probably an off the cuff comment.
  • Options
    This is speculation but from the various articles i've read I think the missing features in the base game were due to time restrictions. Lots of wasted hours spent building an online game that was later scrapped. As far as budget goes I imagine it's pretty huge for a base game anyway. Much more than the budget for additional content? I don't know i'm guessing.

The reality is we don't like to hear about money and time. I know those are the facts but they'd do well not to mention it because it dampens the whole 'you rule' vibe. It's like the last game you want to feel limitation in. I guess its admirable to talk from a corporate viewpoint but logistics aren't fun. :\
  • Options
    I get why sparkfairy1 and you crackfox feel that way. I just personally still value when people really speak their mind even if it won't be the answer I want. I want the truth from their point of view and not a designed answer made up from the company to make customers feel a fake happiness. I'm actually upset with how the company is really, not the gurus when they are speaking honestly. I value when people are straight forward with things that matter to me. It is a matter of personal preference.

• Options
    RARAW wrote: »
    I get why sparkfairy1 and you crackfox feel that way. I just personally still value when people really speak their mind even if it won't be the answer I want. I want the truth from their point of view and not a designed answer made up from the company to make customers feel a fake happiness. I'm actually upset with how the company is really, not the gurus when they are speaking honestly. I value when people are straight forward with things that matter to me. It is a matter of personal preference.

In a way I agree. But I wouldn't want to see gurus pulled over the coals over an off the cuff comment like that if it leads to a furore which I suspect may happen more than we realise. So I guess I feel awkward about the difficult position they are in as a person if you get what I mean?
    I'd rather know they could talk more honestly with the support of the company rather than putting themselves out there and suffering later on.
    I don't know how it works but that's just my perspective.
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    Why would I want a bear NPC in my game that will do nothing but just sit around? It would make the game too realistic for me thus kind of ruining the experience. I like the sim in the bear costume a lot better than having an actual bear running around the camping grounds.
  • Options
    Why would I want a bear NPC in my game that will do nothing but just sit around? It would make the game too realistic for me thus kind of ruining the experience. I like the sim in the bear costume a lot better than having an actual bear running around the camping grounds.

So things like the deer or racoon NPC's in TS3 ruined the experience by making it too realistic?

• Options

Claire the bear was a feature of ts1 and loved by many :)http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Claire_the_Bear
    That might explain why some people had fond memories of a bear NPCS :)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I agree. I didn't want an actual bear either really. That would have been pretty scary. I was just wondering about other types of animals and how the developement downsides would impact on a possible zoo/farm gamepack in terms of likelihood of us actually getting one. The thread got pretty derailed.

I'm not bashing the gurus at all. The constraints suck for them as much as they do for us.
  • Options
    Oneice27Oneice27 Posts: 314 Member
    I don't really care for a NPC bear either, first off, bears just freak me out, and second, NPC animals always just annoyed me, deer would come bouncing by and to me it was like "...yay... a deer... back to my game" and the racoons just made a mess of things, made me wish the implemented hunting in the sims.

And honestly, if you think about wouldn't you be pretty ticked if they were putting their time into making a NPC bear instead of something everyone has been clamoring for, you know, the toddlers?

Probably not a good answer on the Gurus parts I agree, but at least he was up front about it. Hopefully they will get time and money for a farming expansion, I don't know if I would really want one myself but it would be kind of fun to see! Maybe there is still a chance for one, just much further down the road. Still a lot of things to be fixed with the game right now before we can start talking about all this, just remember we are tech. still in the early stages, not even a year in yet :3
    Keep calm and sim on friend-os!

**Icon image is of my character, drawn for my by fellow artist ^^ I always play out him and his gal's story in the sims, going to be exciting to bring it to the sims 4!**
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
    A Game producer saying such thing... Make what game? go home and sleep!!!!
    @EasyToRead‌ @Jimil‌
    Post edited by Senbre on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    sims 4 pets expansions pack. Sims dressed in cats, dogs, horses costumes! pre-order now!
    Post edited by Senbre on