The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

General Discussion Etiquette – PLEASE READ

Comments

• Options
    ronnigirl67ronnigirl67 Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2015
    @crunchie885 Oh, phew...great weight lifted off my shoulders....I've been feeling like a real "🐸🐸🐸🐸" all morning, thanks for easing my mind.

I replaced the s word with t-u-r-d and it still wrote plum...LOL
  • Options
    bjk607bjk607 Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2015
    EA and Maxis, My friends and I would like to now why cant we put certain items in the refrigerator in sims 4 like the fish because no one runs around with fish in their pants or pockets or inventory?
  • Options
    horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    IMO..."Trolls" are not the problem.......It's the 30+ users that encourage the behavior with LOL's....there in lies the true problem!!

Alright, I'm not sure if my above comment is one of the "subtle" comments that some are referring to ( chances are good it is), either way I feel I need to clear things up. I'm speaking for myself, obviously...I don't know who others are talking about in their subtle comments. I don't know who this crunchie/munchie person is, except for above, I've not seen or had any personal experiences with this poster. My guess is, we don't even travel in the same threads. Sorry to @crunchie885 if they felt my comment was directed at them specifically...it wasn't!

The comment was based off of my own personal, unpleasant experience with a troll back in October, during my first week as an "official" forum member. That member was banned and the thread deleted that very night. And even though that member targeted me, not once did I report him/her because I didn't want to start my first week off on the wrong foot. I still have not reported or ignored a single member of this forum yet.

In conclusion, I judge people in my real life and those in my not so real life based on my own personal experiences with them, not on what others have experienced! I'm not part of "group A" or "group B", all you have to do is look at my wall to see that. :p In every forum I've ever been in, I've always been in "group C"! So again, sorry to anyone who felt my comment was directed at them. Have a good day and Happy Simming!

Oh and I not mean you at all whatsoever. I spoke with those "people" via pm. I for one do agree with what you're saying :)
    I don't see how anyone who got banned would want to come back... that always baffles me when similarly named banned members return. I would be way too ashamed to register again.

Luckily this is an anonymous sim forum and isn't quite the same as getting fired from your rl job and returning with a bad wig, fake mustache and fake accent. Some people made friends here and want to stay in contact. And some of these people even have the approval of another chance from the mods and that approval is all that matters.

You might feel ashamed but if the user has a similar name then they obviously don't care and if they don't care then should you?

Fair enough, and I didn't say I cared. The only time I would care is if they continued to do whatever it was that got them banned in the first place--which usually is being obnoxious or bothersome on the board.

I just find it strange. And your explanation fails to reason why if they cared so much about their friends they made to return--why they didn't just follow the forum rules so that they wouldn't get banned in the first place. Warnings here ample. When they return (let's assume for the sake of their friends and not to be obnoxious) they'll have to "behave" anyway, so it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't do it after the second or tenth warning the first time.

Usually it's elementary that push those kind of boundaries until they get a time out... then come the waterworks and apologies: "I'll be good. I'm sorry. I'll be good. Waaaah!" It's weird to see people over the age of five behaving in the same manner.

I couldn't do it myself, I'd be too embarrassed! But you're right, to each his own :joy:

I don't understand everything about it so don't quote me on it. I'm just going on speculations but not everyone who was banned had the same amount of warnings as the others. I said it earlier that some people were banned after one warning and some were banned after multiple.

I think that is what gives some people the "special treatment". Even the temporary ban with the bars was just created and that was a punishment that wasn't offered to simmers who were banned a month ago. So I think it really is up to the modders to decide because only they know how many chances someone got and exactly what they were banned for. And trust me if the mods were allowing any and everyone to have a second chance then certain trolls would be back. :scream:

Can't say anything about the new "jail" system, but I'm guessing if someone got a straight ban rather than warnings it means they did something so far beyond inappropriate that it was decided that warnings wouldn't be sufficient.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited January 2015
    Wh
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    On the Sims 3 forum I believe it was open at first and you could make accounts. However that was changed after a certain cunning troll came on board and caused a great deal of trouble. Death threats, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, etc. They changed it to you must have a game registered to be on the forum. However, I do not think that would work here. The difference is that was exclusively a Sims 3 site. This a Sims site that has united all of the Sims games into one forum.

Perhaps they should make it so you have to register one of the base games - either 2 3 or 4 to post on the majority of the sections. If they also add a section for posters without the games to talk and ask questions so people thinking about purchasing one of the games can make an informed decision I think that might help.
    -
    The problem is I think they already do have registered games for the majority of the people. I have all of my games registered from Sims 1- Sims 4. That is a lot of games. This would only catch those new to the sims or those here to troll. Also it wouldn't really cost them much. They could pick up a old SP for cheap and register that. True, having to pay even a small amount of money might be enough to encourage them to stay off the forum, but not all.
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    As long as we're talking about treatment of threads (closing/not closing), I think it would be nice if threads were not combined. It is extremely frustrating to be following a particular thread, and then suddenly and with no notice have it combined with another thread that may be only marginally connected to it in subject, and the subject line gives no clue that two threads have been combined. I notice that it seems to happen primarily with threads that are marginally connected, while threads that are on exactly the same topic are never touched. If all threads that covered exactly the same topic were combined, we'd have about 15 very long threads, and that's it. (Slight exaggeration).

Moving threads to other sections is another source of frustration. If the Powers That Be deem a thread is in the wrong section, fine, but there is a lack of consistency in posting that the thread has been moved, and to where.

Yes, there are ways to find a a thread that's been combined with another, or to find one that has been moved, if one has posted in it, but I don't think we should have to resort to round-about methods of finding these threads. The current "no notice/no information" approach makes it appear that moderators are trying to hide threads they'd prefer people stop responding to.

Yep, I started a thread last night called "Lets discuss the sims 4", and 6:44 am PST, the thread, which was being very civil, and discussing the issues we've been having, was moved to the Idea's Corner.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/810232/lets-discuss-the-sims-4

Most forums, when the moderator's move topics, leave a tag on the forum it was moved from so like it would read "Lets discuss the sims 4 - Moved" and clicking it would redirect to the thread in it's new forum. Instead, it was silently moved. That gets pretty unnerving after a while.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    ronnigirl67ronnigirl67 Posts: 209 Member
    bjk607 wrote: »
    EA and Maxis, My friends and I would like to now why cant we put certain items in the refrigerator in sims 4 like the fish because no one runs around with fish in their pants or pockets or inventory?

You should be able to grab them in your inventory and drag them over to your fridge..That's how I do it.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Jimil wrote: »
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I just realized I want a misplaced thread option for threads in the reporting reason options.

What is meant by "misplaced?" You mean for when someone posted under the wrong heading?

What we need is a flame bait option... or one for subtle comments directed at users.
    That's what I wanted to talk about. We need to do something for these flame bait threads that occurred in the past. It's usually the other side who keeps making them. We need a rule preventing such cause in the future.

There already is a rule against flame-baiting. I report them under Harassment, no matter how subtle or not-so.

Me too, and thats what I was saying a few pages back but got nothing but people saying "hey i find those comments funny why would you even report them?!?!" ....um, because flame baiting does nothing but start fights. I don't care how "funny" the comments are. If it is bothering someone or someone is clearly posting things making fun of others to look "cool", making snarky comments about 'how much the game sucks' where it doesn't belong- I will report it. If the mods also find it "funny", they can deal with it as they see fit. End of story.

WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member
    IMO..."Trolls" are not the problem.......It's the 30+ users that encourage the behavior with LOL's....there in lies the true problem!!

Alright, I'm not sure if my above comment is one of the "subtle" comments that some are referring to ( chances are good it is), either way I feel I need to clear things up. I'm speaking for myself, obviously...I don't know who others are talking about in their subtle comments. I don't know who this crunchie/munchie person is, except for above, I've not seen or had any personal experiences with this poster. My guess is, we don't even travel in the same threads. Sorry to @crunchie885 if they felt my comment was directed at them specifically...it wasn't!

The comment was based off of my own personal, unpleasant experience with a troll back in October, during my first week as an "official" forum member. That member was banned and the thread deleted that very night. And even though that member targeted me, not once did I report him/her because I didn't want to start my first week off on the wrong foot. I still have not reported or ignored a single member of this forum yet.

In conclusion, I judge people in my real life and those in my not so real life based on my own personal experiences with them, not on what others have experienced! I'm not part of "group A" or "group B", all you have to do is look at my wall to see that. :p In every forum I've ever been in, I've always been in "group C"! So again, sorry to anyone who felt my comment was directed at them. Have a good day and Happy Simming!

Oh and I not mean you at all whatsoever. I spoke with those "people" via pm. I for one do agree with what you're saying :)
    I don't see how anyone who got banned would want to come back... that always baffles me when similarly named banned members return. I would be way too ashamed to register again.

Luckily this is an anonymous sim forum and isn't quite the same as getting fired from your rl job and returning with a bad wig, fake mustache and fake accent. Some people made friends here and want to stay in contact. And some of these people even have the approval of another chance from the mods and that approval is all that matters.

You might feel ashamed but if the user has a similar name then they obviously don't care and if they don't care then should you?

Fair enough, and I didn't say I cared. The only time I would care is if they continued to do whatever it was that got them banned in the first place--which usually is being obnoxious or bothersome on the board.

I just find it strange. And your explanation fails to reason why if they cared so much about their friends they made to return--why they didn't just follow the forum rules so that they wouldn't get banned in the first place. Warnings here ample. When they return (let's assume for the sake of their friends and not to be obnoxious) they'll have to "behave" anyway, so it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't do it after the second or tenth warning the first time.

Usually it's elementary that push those kind of boundaries until they get a time out... then come the waterworks and apologies: "I'll be good. I'm sorry. I'll be good. Waaaah!" It's weird to see people over the age of five behaving in the same manner.

I couldn't do it myself, I'd be too embarrassed! But you're right, to each his own :joy:

I don't understand everything about it so don't quote me on it. I'm just going on speculations but not everyone who was banned had the same amount of warnings as the others. I said it earlier that some people were banned after one warning and some were banned after multiple.

I think that is what gives some people the "special treatment". Even the temporary ban with the bars was just created and that was a punishment that wasn't offered to simmers who were banned a month ago. So I think it really is up to the modders to decide because only they know how many chances someone got and exactly what they were banned for. And trust me if the mods were allowing any and everyone to have a second chance then certain trolls would be back. :scream:

Can't say anything about the new "jail" system, but I'm guessing if someone got a straight ban rather than warnings it means they did something so far beyond inappropriate that it was decided that warnings wouldn't be sufficient.

You'd think so but there still have been people like simluvr who were banned for nothin at all. Literally and had to get their bans appealed. The forums are new as well as the warning and banning system. Someone getting banned after one warning might not be because of behaviour.
  • Options

You'd think so but there still have been people like simluvr who were banned for nothin at all. Literally and had to get their bans appealed. The forums are new as well as the warning and banning system. Someone getting banned after one warning might not be because of behaviour.

I really don't believe they were banned for "nothin at all" - the mods don't just go around and pick names out of a hat to ban people! They would have had to have a reason to click the "ban" button. Just because you are friends with them does not mean they are completely innocent (and I don't even know them so I'm not trying to call them out- I'm talking about everyone who says they got banned for seemingly 'no reason at all.)
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I really don't believe they were banned for "nothin at all" - the mods don't just go around and pick names out of a hat to ban people! They would have had to have a reason to click the "ban" button. Just because you are friends with them does not mean they are completely innocent (and I don't even know them so I'm not trying to call them out- I'm talking about everyone who says they got banned for seemingly 'no reason at all.)

Sorry but in this case someone was accidentenally banned. SimGuruHydra even apologized to her and they gave her back her account. If you want to know of someone else who was banned for no reason at all ask @cale2003‌ . I have no idea how the banning works but there are indeed times when accidents happen. And as much as you may like to believe. This site is truly glitchy.

And the only reason why I'm using my 'friends' is because these are the ones I know of. If their bans were not accidents they would not have been given their accounts back.
  • Options

Sorry but in this case someone was accidentenally banned. SimGuruHydra even apologized to her and they gave her back her account. If you want to know of someone else who was banned for no reason at all ask @cale2003‌ . I have no idea how the banning works but there are indeed times when accidents happen. And as much as you may like to believe. This site is truly glitchy.

And the only reason why I'm using my 'friends' is because these are the ones I know of. If their bans were not accidents they would not have been given their accounts back.

Well, if they apologized and gave it back to her, that's good. But I'm talking about people who get banned permenently, come back with another account saying "I didn't even do anything!!" ....if someone's account is banned and the mods aren't giving it back, I have a hard time believing they did "nothing wrong." And most of the time all you see is those with the new accounts still displaying the same behavior as their old account. Kind of defeats the purpose of banning IMO.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    calywoofycalywoofy Posts: 1 New Member
    @SimGuruBChick You Own the Forums!Wow I never knew...
  • Options
    calywoofy wrote: »
    @SimGuruBChick You Own the Forums!Wow I never knew...

? EA owns the forums.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

Well, if they apologized and gave it back to her, that's good. But I'm talking about people who get banned permenently, come back with another account saying "I didn't even do anything!!" ....if someone's account is banned and the mods aren't giving it back, I have a hard time believing they did "nothing wrong." And most of the time all you see is those with the new accounts still displaying the same behavior as their old account. Kind of defeats the purpose of banning IMO.

Well thats something different entirely I suppose. All you can do is report that account and let the mods know you think it was a previously banned user.
  • Options
    Do you remember all the false flagging. There was a gang who went around and false flagged people for no real valid reason.Maybe it was because they didn't like them, or they just thought it was great fun to stir up trouble. Well, that all had to be sorted. So that might have been what happened. It resulted in the loss of some buttons because some people were not mature enough to handle it properly.
  • Options
    SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    blewis823 wrote: »
    Let me get this right, if I complain to the moderators that I don't like a thread and tired of seeing in the notifications (???) I can request them to shut it down? If so, this is so unfair, but it lets me know how some members and the mods roll. Hmm, wonder if I get an answer?

Just read the activity posts.

Hey Blewis, that is not correct. If you don't like a thread, we advise you to stop watching it. We only close threads where the behaviour breaches Forum Rules.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    I just realized I want a misplaced thread option for threads in the reporting reason options.

What is meant by "misplaced?" You mean for when someone posted under the wrong heading?
    Yes. Like idea threads and OR threads are in the GD right now. I don't want to get people in trouble but just to help topics get better responses I guess. I used it in another forum I was active in and kept forums more organized. I know some Simmers don't like their thread moved, so I'm not sure how favorable this idea would be.

I would think they would want their thread in the best possible place for responses. Perhaps one could just send a PM to a guru to give them a "heads up." Something like: I noticed that this tech sup question was posted under art work. That isn't mean. It should make anyone upset because you are only trying to help them get a better response.

Yes please, PM me if you think a thread is in the wrong location. We do move them when we see them but we don't see everything.
    SimGuruBChick

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    edited January 2015
    @SimGuruBChick‌ how is best to handle your etiquette rules? If we report with the button are you getting the reports through? Or is it better to pm you? Because I've seen plenty of users blatently ignoring them who when asked to consider them continue to be rude and combative with others when there's no need for it and others are having a perfectly civil conversation which they hijack by being so.

And how should they be reported? Which option? The drop menu isn't clear!
  • Options
    Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    First of all i am mostly a lurker on this forum. One because i enjoy reading more then posting and two, i am very uncomfortable with posting due to the atmosphere of this forum.

This thread topic gave me hope that the mods were buckling down on making this forum a better place for those of us that do follow the rules.. but that hope is now gone. Many of us have contributed and put time and effort into this thread because we really believed the time had come that this forum was going to see a turn around and promote a atmosphere of rule abiding posters....but in return what did we get? in our face a mocking of our efforts!!...efforts which was to stop people like the one's who have been banned from further hurting people and causing an atmosphere that chases posters away and makes it unpleasant for the one's that remain. I am just speechless and feel betrayed as to the intent and purpose of this thread...seems the more one breaks rules the more privileges they are entitled to... while the ones who do follow rules suffer the consequences because they are the ones who have to deal with them throughout the forum.

I just need to step away from this thread as i no longer have any respect for the purpose the thread was claimed to serve.
  • Options
    MsPhy wrote: »
    As long as we're talking about treatment of threads (closing/not closing), I think it would be nice if threads were not combined. It is extremely frustrating to be following a particular thread, and then suddenly and with no notice have it combined with another thread that may be only marginally connected to it in subject, and the subject line gives no clue that two threads have been combined. I notice that it seems to happen primarily with threads that are marginally connected, while threads that are on exactly the same topic are never touched. If all threads that covered exactly the same topic were combined, we'd have about 15 very long threads, and that's it. (Slight exaggeration).

Moving threads to other sections is another source of frustration. If the Powers That Be deem a thread is in the wrong section, fine, but there is a lack of consistency in posting that the thread has been moved, and to where.

Yes, there are ways to find a a thread that's been combined with another, or to find one that has been moved, if one has posted in it, but I don't think we should have to resort to round-about methods of finding these threads. The current "no notice/no information" approach makes it appear that moderators are trying to hide threads they'd prefer people stop responding to.

Hey MsPhy, I will talk to the other moderators. When we move a thread, we should always include a redirect link in the original location. That is best practice.
    SimGuruBChick

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Let me get this right, if I complain to the moderators that I don't like a thread and tired of seeing in the notifications (???) I can request them to shut it down? If so, this is so unfair, but it lets me know how some members and the mods roll. Hmm, wonder if I get an answer?

If you don't like a thread, we advise you to stop watching it. We only close threads where the behaviour breaches Forum Rules.
    Now if Only some people would actually understand this!
    (I am almost positive Blewis meant about the ones that try to get threads closed, because they don't want to see posts opposing their own view. I have seen a few ADMIT it, in their later on "apology" posts.)

I see, massive redundancy of :
    "If you don't like the game, go do something else - leave the forum"

"Sick of the negativity" , etc.

Don't even get me started on the sarcastic quips that are mean, yet others are "LOLing" along with it.

Many times, reporting seems to do Nothing.
    And they were straight-out doing what the "Etiquette thread" asked everyone NOT to do... :(

• Options

If you don't like a thread, we advise you to stop watching it. We only close threads where the behaviour breaches Forum Rules.
    Now if Only some people would actually understand this!
    (I am almost positive Blewis meant about the ones that try to get threads closed, because they don't want to see posts opposing their own view. I have seen a few ADMIT it, in their later on "apology" posts.)

I see, massive redundancy of :
    "If you don't like the game, go do something else - leave the forum"

"Sick of the negativity" , etc.

Don't even get me started on the sarcastic quips that are mean, yet others are "LOLing" along with it.

Many times, reporting seems to do Nothing.
    And they were straight-out doing what the "Etiquette thread" asked everyone NOT to do... :(

I've seen a resurgence in bad behaviour like this. I'm sorry but it's not acceptable to be posting rude names towards 'groups' of people. The posters know they are doing it to upset others and it's completely unnecessary. As is telling others in an unrelated topic to go away and discuss in a different thread when they put forward their valid opinion which is perfectly on topic in said thread. That's rude and nasty too.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes please, PM me if you think a thread is in the wrong location. We do move them when we see them but we don't see everything.
    Thank you for clarifying that. What modding forums doesn't mean you a superhero? XD I had friends that modded forums before on another site. All I can say is they are saints for some of the things they had to go through and they weren't paid to do it. So thank you for trying to keep the forums a clean and friendly place to post in.

@‌SimplySimazing I don't like when people are told to live the forum completely and play another game too. It's nice talking to my fellow Simmers about all the Sims games.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    I have glanced around on the threads and have seen some pot shots taken mainly at the disappointed side. Some are veiled. Some are transparent. Here is a new name for you. Inveterate complainers.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I have glanced around on the threads and have seen some pot shots taken mainly at the disappointed side. Some are veiled. Some are transparent. Here is a new name for you. Inveterate complainers.

I don't care what 'side' I want to see it sorted no matter their opinions. Otherwise there's no incentive for others to behave if people are allowed to do that :(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top