Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do I ALWAYS have to make a birthday cake?

In order for a sim to celebrate a birthday, do I always have to have a sim pre-make a cake and top it with birthday candles? Or is there another way that I haven't figured out?

Comments

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    i think its the only way I don't even know it there is an aging potion
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    In order for a sim to celebrate a birthday, do I always have to have a sim pre-make a cake and top it with birthday candles? Or is there another way that I haven't figured out?

They age up by themselves unless you have aging turned off.
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    edited January 2015
    They will automatically age up if you don't and then a sad moodlet will come because they didn't celebrate it with a cake
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    See my whole family is on a camping vacation but they picked a place to rent with only tents, they're roughin it lol. So there is no stove around to make a birthday cake and I have a sims birthday to celebrate asap (who I completely forgot about). So I have to either rent another cabin with a stove or send them all home just to make a freakin cake to have a birthday? lol
  • Options
    It would be so much easier if I could just buy one instead of make one all the time
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    See my whole family is on a camping vacation but they picked a place to rent with only tents, they're roughin it lol. So there is no stove around to make a birthday cake and I have a sims birthday to celebrate asap (who I completely forgot about). So I have to either rent another cabin with a stove or send them all home just to make a freakin cake to have a birthday? lol

I hope this is adressed in the next patch, bc I hate that you can't edit the lot if your sims are using it.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited January 2015
    With aging on they will grow into the new stage on their own but can get a bad mood without a celebration. With the completion of the cooking aspiration your sim can cook food that does not spoil. You can have your Sim bake a couple of cakes and reuse them. As long as you do not serve the cake it can be used over and over again. I do this in my legacy house. I should go back and have the new generation of kids celebrate with a cake made by their great grandmother who is ghost now. I wonder if the cakes will still be there in her fridge. A granddaughter lives there now with her husband and all the ghosts.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I totally skip mechanics like this unless I want to control the trait of the birthday sim (if teen to YA), then I gotta do a cake. If I want the game to give me a random trait (Is it actually random? Anyone know?), then I turn aging on and play another household so I don't have to deal with a Sim moping around :)

And yeah, if I was camping and it was my birthday, I am good with hotdogs, beans and beer. Gold birthday, IMO.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    @ jaxie086 You can always go visit one of those cabins. They should have people in them if you have full empty houses checked in options. Just go introduce yourself and use their oven and have the celebration there or put the cake in your inventory then head back to the campground.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Usually I wouldn't care about not celebrating birthdays. But then they developed that dang sad emotion. And now I hate to see my sim with a quivering lip because I forgot to celebrate their birthday :(.... which is weird because I also have no problem drowning other sims in pools lol.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    mine always seem to age up at 3 am then get sad because theres no party.
  • Options
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    @ jaxie086 You can always go visit one of those cabins. They should have people in them if you have full empty houses checked in options. Just go introduce yourself and use their oven and have the celebration there or put the cake in your inventory then head back to the campground.

I think this is what I'm going to try to do. The problem is getting all 8 sims over there when most of the time when I try making them all travel, only 4 of them show up because the other 4 are "busy right now."

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    With aging on they will grow into the new stage on their own but can get a bad mood without a celebration. With the completion of the cooking aspiration your sim can cook food that does not spoil. You can have your Sim bake a couple of cakes and reuse them. As long as you do not serve the cake it can be used over and over again. I do this in my legacy house. I should go back and have the new generation of kids celebrate with a cake made by their great grandmother who is ghost now. I wonder if the cakes will still be there in her fridge. A granddaughter lives there now with her husband and all the ghosts.
    And to think a wedding cake saved longer than a year in the freezer tastes little more than a bit like dust. LOL "Here, Sweetie, it's your birthday, and you'll be happy to note that your great-grandmother, long dead, baked you this cake. What a legacy, indeed! Eat up."

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Just an fyi: In order to make sure that ALL of your sims travel with you (especially when you have a family of 8, like me) DONT USE YOUR PHONE. Go to manage worlds and then click on the place you want all of your sims to travel to. Then click on "More" then click on "Travel to" and all of your sims will go there at once :)
  • Options
    chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    All I know is if you do not have SOMEONE make the dang birthday cake they will be sad for DAYS that no one remembered their birthday....
  • Options
    melissalungumelissalungu Posts: 655 Member
    My child is having a birthday whilst camping, ad needs a cake..so I figured we'd visit one of the nearby log cabins and make a cake there, but when my sim visited, she's inside the house, walls are all down but I can't see her or any furniture. It's just floors, and walls down. Any idea why?
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

My Top 5 store items :smile:
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    It would be so much easier if I could just buy one instead of make one all the time

I always have my Sims go to a restaurant to celebrate a birthday. You can get a cake there for free by getting a table and clicking on it. I usually have my family leave right afterwards without eating :lol:
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I think you can get a cake from the buy/build mode activating the debug cheat.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    I solved it...went to the national park (visited) and while there, you can build, so I bought a pancake griddle and used fridge and placed them on the top balcony, where she can now make a cake. She has to travel all the way downstairs to use the counter...so will be putting one of those upstairs too!
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

• Options
    ok, not so solved, the cake is on the table, but you can't add candles, so its just a cake....

My thank you thread

My profile

• Options
    ok, not so solved, the cake is on the table, but you can't add candles, so its just a cake....

I moved the cake so it was more centered on the table, and now I can add candles woohoo!

My thank you thread

My profile

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    There's sometimes problems accessing the cake. Try putting it on a counter or maybe add/remove chairs?
  • Options
    ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    Would it help to turn aging off until everyone got back home?
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Options
    twinings91twinings91 Posts: 3 New Member
    I made my birthday sim travel to the National Park, went into build mode and added a fridge & cooker then let him cook his own cake and blow out the candles. Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    PoisonIvy91PoisonIvy91 Posts: 6 New Member
    If you don't want to have to bake a cake for every birthday I've found that if you bake a cake and then put it in your household inventory in buy/build mode the cake will last. I've been putting the cake back into the inventory as soon as the candles are blown out and haven't had any issues with it.