Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you guys remember...

RumancekRumancek Posts: 558 Member
edited January 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
When TS3 came out, and 4,000 people complained that it wasn't as good as TS2 and everyone uninstalled it and played TS2 and every time they released a new pack for TS3 someone asked why it wasn't Seasons.
And then TS3 got popular, and then TS4 came out and people said it was terrible and it wasn't as good as the TS3 and they were going back to TS3...
...History is doomed to repeat it's self lol.

This is the exact same thing.

The game is subpar for me. It's playable. I enjoy it well enough. The dynamic animations are fairly pleasing. Some of the stuff is pretty handy. It loads very well for me and is very fast unlike TS3. It's a bit easier to make Sims.

Though I greatly miss the color wheel, yet at the same time do not. It makes building a lot faster because I don't have to color crap... And somehow things seem to go together well regardless, unlike TS2.

I do miss moveObjects on, but there is a mod for that. It'd be nice to have cars, and toddlers. I also miss the life states but it's understandable that this is not already in the game.

It'd also be nice to have some more worlds...

The lack of open world isn't quite as constraining as I'd have thought, but I'm a little disappointed in the loading screens with the neighboring houses.

Anyway, GD of the Sims forum, for the sake of keeping things an actual discussion, to those of you who are very disappointed with TS4, is there anything you prefer more in TS4 than in TS3?

Edit:

In the way of bugs, I have pretty much none. I don't think I've noticed anything debilitating at all except for when I was editing a Sim in game in CAS and it glitched and wouldn't go back to the world so I had to close it.
That an uppercase i at the end of my name, not an L! Do not @ me with the L.

Comments

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    To be honest, no. I would say the kids but meh...
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    nothing has quite beat TS2 for me yet.
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    @Castiel yeah we have Move Objects On now lol
  • Options
    Thebookthief24Thebookthief24 Posts: 1,327 Member
    We have moveobjects. the cheat is bb.moveobjects on or off.

And I applaud your post. :D
    "Clearly , I have made some bad decisions."
  • Options
    RumancekRumancek Posts: 558 Member
    We have moveobjects. the cheat is bb.moveobjects on or off.

And I applaud your post. :D

We do?! Yeaaah!
    That an uppercase i at the end of my name, not an L! Do not @ me with the L.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I don't remember.

Maybe it's Alzheimer. Seems you get it from playing too much games.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I loved playing the Sims 3, never hated it.

I won't ever call the Sims 4 the best game because it started off poorly, and the past won't be forgotten in this case.
    But maybe it will improve and get better.
  • Options
    bmit04bmit04 Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've liked all games so far. When I moved up to Sims 3 in January 2013 I bought up most of the eps and sps. However if I had started Sims 3 with just the base game, I imagine this is what it would have been like. I'm patient, so I will wait for content to come out and play little bits at a time.

I haven't gotten to the process of having a baby yet. I expect I will miss the toddler stage. I like playing and teaching them. But hey, teacher in real life so what could anyone expect.

I miss the colour wheel.

I think what I am most frustrated about is the cheat codes. I'm going to have to write a book to keep next to my keyboard because there is no way I will remember anything past rosebud.

I don't think it is fair to judge 4 yet. Wait till a lot of content comes out and more worlds appear before making decisions. Who was it that said first impressions are often wrong?

However, I miss the Sims 3 site!! Everything on one page, easy to find. This whole site is terribe. Took me two weeks to find I had a page. Searching anything online for help was useless. I asked many people, no one answered. When I finally found I had a page, it was a big disappointment.
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    CastieI wrote: »
    <SNIPPITY>

Anyway, GD of the Sims forum, for the sake of keeping things an actual discussion, to those of you who are very disappointed with TS4, is there anything you prefer more in TS4 than in TS3?

Edit:

In the way of bugs, I have pretty much none. I don't think I've noticed anything debilitating at all except for when I was editing a Sim in game in CAS and it glitched and wouldn't go back to the world so I had to close it.

Funny you should ask. I try to give TS4 a fair shake. I do that a lot by playing various challenges, long and short. I find sims interactions to be less so than they were in previous iterations. (I was one of the people who disliked TS3 when it was released but later came to like it.)

Earlier today, I asked myself the same question. There's so much I don't like about Sims 4, so why am I still playing? Partially to finish up a challenge I committed to. After that, I plan to return to Sims 2 and 3 both. I started with base versions of both of those games when I tried them and liked both of them better than the Sims 4 base.

That said, I would say most of the build tools I like. It took me awhile to get used to them. I currently have a house with a hole in the top floor I somehow made. But overall, I like them. I especially like that I can move the entire house because I always build too close to the front of the lot. It's also nice to be able to expand a room without gutting the entire structure. That said, I fail at roofs and would love to see auto roof come back.

I thought I liked the multi-tasking at first. Some of it I still do (skilling on multiple things at once, for instance). But a lot of it is so buggy. Sims take forever to do anything, and when they aren't taking too long they develop ADD and can't stick to what they're supposed to be doing. It wouldn't be so bad if everything wasn't queue stomped when they got distracted.

So, for me, I will give TS4 the nod for having slightly better basic building tools.

Also for any who wonder, the new move objects cheat does not let you pick up and move sims, which destroyed my story telling hopes.

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I remember there was generally more dislike towards TS3 back then compared to now. However, now, it's different.
    • There hasn't been a base game that has scrapped as many *base game* features from its predecessor base games as much as TS4 did.
    • There hasn't been a base game salvaged from a scrapped MMO, causing rushing in development.
    • There hasn't been a base game backed by such horrible PR.
    • There hasn't been a base game with, arguably, such little improvement.

Had TS4 been an actual upgrade from the past base games, like the other base games have been, there wouldn't be so much against it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I can imagine (wasn't around back then so I don't know for a fact) Sims 3 criticism might have been focussed on different playing style preferences and 'it doesn't feel like a Sims game, I don't feel the charm'. Sims 4 criticism is based on 'there's a lot of things malfunctioning in this game or just plainly gone'.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Except this time OP there isn't a big enough balance to keep those people (including myself) interested enough to keep playing it. The difference here is I didn't want to uninstall the TS3 when I went back to the TS2. I kept it 'just in case' they listened and made the 'Sims' in the game more animated, expressive, and more reactive. They did ( a little) eventually but it took years and then not as much as the TS2 'Sims'.

Here is a problem with not only are things not like they were in just one past version but all three.

It's a cute game. But you know what I don't play cute games that often. I play games that can keep me immersed in the game. Cute games are some Popcap games, some Big Fish games, Some Mojo games, some Last Day of Work games etc. They are what I consider 'cute' but not deep enough to keep me engrossed for years to come. Maybe a month or so.

Then I think about the slot popping, the clipping etc. This is something I expect from companies like VIVA game company etc. See, I play all sorts of games and all from hundreds of different game companies, and I don't expect such half hazard quality from Maxis.....until now.
    Then the surprising thing was Maxis says they did this all on purpose so they could make it possible to no longer have route fail etc. I have to say wth, Maxis? It was almost perfect in the TS2, when Sims past each other in a tiny hallway and was 98% perfect when trying to get around an object by the time they were done with the game and or Sims walking over uneven, bunched up tile...and guess what no clipping...so I am left to believe this is just not even up to par with the TS2 AI and object recognition and the Sim being able to get around it without looking dumb and or clipping.

I expected better from Maxis frankly, because they 'did create the other three' maybe they should rehire who ever it was they lost to keep them inline with what players wanted. It's like when Doctor Who goes off on a tangent and the reason he actually needs a companion with him is to help him keep his feet on the ground, and stable, and in the right direction. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    For me, the problem is that 4 feels sloppy, hastily done, and doesn't add anything really new. Yes, some people disliked 3 at first, but the fact is, whatever people thought, it added open world and CASt - huge changes, and many would say improvements. Sims 4 has emotions, which are just a progression (or, imo, annoying regression) of the mood system - ts2 had mood modifiers, you just couldn't see what they were. And ts3 added moodlets, which showed what was influencing your Sim. Emotions are just a take off on that. And multi tasking isn't really new either. It's new that you can control it (sort of.) But neither of these is a big huge change, or even a step forward necessarily. I have loved every addition to the sims series until this one, and honestly it's okay with me, I can just go back to 2 & 3 until 5. But if too many others feel as I do, then 4 could fall on some very hard times.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yup, I lurked back then, and people were definitely complaining about several aspects of sims 3. It's more about bugs/glitches/routing issues (some of which were not fixed to this day), less interactions for younger life stages (until Generations came), less detailed animations, bad EA story progression, and empty clubs, lol. Also, sims 3 really needed a good computer and not everyone (like me back then) could afford the type of computer that could handle such a game, lol. Bad coding and routing (which caused lag) was the biggest complaint.

However, it's not like Sims 4's reaction. With sims 3, it has a different feel and was less suited for rotational play styles. At least, without mods. However, we now have mods that can help with many aspects of sims 3. :blush:

There were/are still people who prefer sims 2, of course, but sims 3 felt like progression and was an ambitious project that was flawed by bad or lazy programming and money transactions. Still, it was an excellent attempt at something big and complex. :smiley:

I was one of those people who didn't like sims 3 at first. But with mods, expansion packs, and store items and store worlds, Sims 3 grew on me.

Now, could sims 4 so the same? I don't think so--at the moment.

With sims 4, though, it's really, really stripped down. Like, it destroyed both rotational and non-rotational play styles, plus those who do family play as well. S4 feels like a barebones reboot attempt to get our money in a way that is similar to sims 3 store.

But at least with the sims store and sims 3 expansion packs, we got some really good content, and if not, then we got some great modders that help with some aspects of gameplay. :smile: Sims 3 at least provided a good potential base for mods to help provide choices for a variety of play styles.

But the problem with s4 is not just only the weaker base game; it's how EA is not communicating with it's fanbase and its face palm worthy PR attempts. I feel unsure about how EA will incorporate (if it does) feedback and if it will adjust its "vision" to include other play styles. Having some company changes and rushing the product out does not reassure people, either. Now we got the game breaking bugs and wonky AI, too.

Can EA turn it around? I don't know. This reminds me of the rushed dragon age 2 incident...
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    CastieI wrote: »
    When TS3 came out, and 4,000 people complained that it wasn't as good as TS2 and everyone uninstalled it and played TS2 and every time they released a new pack for TS3 someone asked why it wasn't Seasons.
    And then TS3 got popular, and then TS4 came out and people said it was terrible and it wasn't as good as the TS3 and they were going back to TS3...
    ...History is doomed to repeat it's self lol.

This is the exact same thing.

The game is subpar for me. It's playable. I enjoy it well enough. The dynamic animations are fairly pleasing. Some of the stuff is pretty handy. It loads very well for me and is very fast unlike TS3. It's a bit easier to make Sims.

Though I greatly miss the color wheel, yet at the same time do not. It makes building a lot faster because I don't have to color crap... And somehow things seem to go together well regardless, unlike TS2.

I do miss moveObjects on, but there is a mod for that. It'd be nice to have cars, and toddlers. I also miss the life states but it's understandable that this is not already in the game.

It'd also be nice to have some more worlds...

The lack of open world isn't quite as constraining as I'd have thought, but I'm a little disappointed in the loading screens with the neighboring houses.

Edit:

If I REMEMBER! lol Sims 3 was sooo bad at the begining got better and then worse but when the sims 4 came out, many were despleased with the final result of the game, people just have to wait and give the most feedback possible to the devs, some people give on the game too early, this happens with tons of games and many become very good at the end, and I belive TS4 as lots of potencial if managed correctly.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,533 Member
    edited January 2015
    There were things I did not like about TS3, mainly the look of the sims, as they were so different from TS2 sims, and the limitations of CAS sliders. Sim interactions needed more depth too. The open world and create-a-style kept me playing and I found I could make sims that I liked.

TS4 has a bigger hill to climb to make me continue buying EPs and other content, due to some decisions that most likely can't be added to this game. While it does have some nice features, there are also downsides to those features that is making them not all that great for me. As for now, I am adding mods and CC to correct or enhance choices Maxis made in creating this game, but there are some things that EA needs to add that modders can't. I have a long list of them. For now, I do like my modded game. All it really needs is my list of wants and more things for sims to do. Modding the game is currently keeping me playing. I had set aside after two weeks of playing, but new mods and custom content have me at it again.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2015
    I stopped playing Sims 3. I prefer interacting with Sims rather than environments type of player which sadly Sims 4 has again. I still don't hate any of the Sims games except the mobile Sims Freeplay one. The top things I prefer in any Sims game that Sims 4 is lacking badly on is family play. The family trees, lack of toddlers, weak interactions of children and teens and babies, and that no one wants to watch a wedding when it is happening bugs me in the Sims 4. Currently I'm playing Sims 2 and Sims 4 right now. I should find my Sims 1 disks and play that again too. The Sims 4 is unfinished to me. If it gets patched with toddlers and family trees into the base game, then I'd probably consider buying EPs for it. If it doesn't, then I'm happy playing the previous games. Now that I have the Sims 2 UC, I'm tempted to raise my hours of game play over Sims 4. :)

The biggest issue I had with Sims 3 was how it was treated by EA. It's embarrassing that with the years it has been around modders were the ones that saved the game. I fear the same thing will happen with the Sims 4. Modders will save the game again and good for them for doing so to keep the community happy.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I remember. The complaints were so bad that I held off buying until after Awesomemod came out, and then I still wasn't pleased with the game. I set it aside for a long time until Twallan's mod came out. Still never liked it as well as 2.

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I fear the same thing will happen with the Sims 4. Modders will save the game again and good for them for doing so to keep the community happy.

Forget about two big modders: Twallen and Pescado.

Twallen has retired from making sims mods and Pescado isn't interested (by the look of it).

Considering how the OFFICIAL patching has gone horribly wrong, I cant imagine what kind of work it would take the modders with any later EA additions. Either way, I really cant see the same level of modding for this game as there was for S2 or S3.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    I started with TS3 and didn't come to the forums for quite some time. I don't remember what you're describing but I'm sure it's true. People were grumbling about TS3 not being as good as TS2 until....well they still are.

There are things I like about TS4. My sims can have a cookie and cup of coffee at the same time. How cool is that? I love what they've done with careers because it gives me choices as to where I want my sim to finish his career.

To me, TS3 is like a tempermental horse. It will bite you or buck you off for any reason or none at all but you're never bored. TS4 is like a gentle farm horse. You can depend on it until the very end but it isn't very exciting.
  • Options
    KRUSSIDULLKRUSSIDULL Posts: 36 Member
    I think TS4 is better, TS3 was laggy och had lots of bugs because of the open world and the sims pathfindig made the game stutter even on the most powerful computer. However i find The Sims 2 the best in the series so far.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    TS 3 was unplayable for certain playing styles. Players like me either had to give up our way and play a totally different style (which was totally unsatisfying) or give up simming completely. I tried to adapt, couldn't, and chose to give it up. With Sims 4, at least I can play my style again, but there's so little content and the interactions are so limited, it's hardly worth the time.