The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Honestly Think Toddlers Will Be Back?

Comments

• Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    [Can you explain a little bit more?

A new life stage has been added in a previous Sims game before through an EP.
    I believe it was Grant who originally said all life stages would be in Sims 4.
    They have changed directions and added things like pools, which they said before they were released they were too difficult to do.
    It is my personal opinion.

The vast majority of threads on these boards contain things about toddlers. I could create a new thread topic in general today about
    "Do you think this sim looks better dressed in blue or in green." And before the thread died in the sims modeling section someone would post about how the game is so incomplete without toddlers ....

If anyone is actually listening to the playerbase ( which they do seem to be doing ), then the powers that be know that the toddler life stage is something that is needed to be put in.

Sims 3 was not written in python though. My point is that python is a language that cannot be tampered with properly post release. Sims 3 was written in C++ but the developers did not develop it properly. Python is a much easier language than C++. It is also less expandable. The reason why pools and ghosts were added is because the worked on them pre release. I don't think toddlers were. Another thing that we can expect, however, is story progression. They worked on it before the release and you can see it in one of the files.
  • Options
    I think it's a no-brainer that they will be returning. When they chose to cut the stage for time, I can pretty much guarantee that they did it with the intention of adding them in later. Their silence is just classic EA of late, which makes no sense to me, but it's their PR strategy and they can do what they want with it. Their approach seems to be "Don't even mention it unless it's basically ready to be released in an hour."

Didn't people say that placeholder code for toddlers was found in the base game files? I remember people mentioning it around the time the demo was being sent out in waves. I never saw what it was that made people say that though.

The only question I have is: when, and how will they be implemented? I know personally that if they aren't at least mentioned by the time of the first EP, I will be extremely upset. Same thing if at least the basic life stage isn't free. Pair it with an EP or GP that adds more clothes, hairs, interactions, etc. that's fine! But the stage and the basic interactions should be completely without cost.

I did not know that it was in the demo code. I can check the current code right now and see if there is anything.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

If anyone is actually listening to the playerbase ( which they do seem to be doing )

I wouldn't say so. The first gp or ep is `camping`. Who actually asked for a campsite before anything else

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Zolt65 wrote: »

If anyone is actually listening to the playerbase ( which they do seem to be doing )

I wouldn't say so. The first gp or ep is `camping`. Who actually asked for a campsite before anything else

This 100%.

This is what brought up my suspicions. Few simmers have asked for camping. This either not prioritizing, trying to make money for something big, or just can't come up with much.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    edited January 2015

I was asked for my opinion, then I was asked to expand on my opinion.

but yes, specifically, with the last three patches put in ... I would say that the powers that be are listening to the playerbase. The playerbase was being very loud about wanting standard regular jobs ... two of the oldtime jobs made a return.
  • Options

I was asked for my opinion, then I was asked to expand on my opinion.

but yes, specifically, with the last three patches put in ... I would say that the powers that be are listening to the playerbase. The playerbase was being very loud about wanting standard regular jobs ... two of the oldtime jobs made a return.

That is primarily because jobs are much easier to do and much more, in a way, possible. It is a string addition, along with interactions. Because you don't see where they go to work, it is much much much more easier to handle.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Yes.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    edited January 2015
    I certainly hope that toddlers are eventually added to TS4...
    Personally, I would prefer to see them patched in similar to ghosts, pools, and careers; however, since we haven't heard anything from EA/Maxis regarding this I doubt it'll happen that way. I think if we do see them return, it'll probably be for purchase through either a GP or EP.
  • Options
    Yes.

As I asked @Gruffman, can you explain further?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Yes.

As I asked @Gruffman, can you explain further?

I need reasons? Honestly, I think it's all been talked to death here.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Sims 3 was not written in python though. My point is that python is a language that cannot be tampered with properly post release. Sims 3 was written in C++ but the developers did not develop it properly. Python is a much easier language than C++. It is also less expandable. The reason why pools and ghosts were added is because the worked on them pre release. I don't think toddlers were. Another thing that we can expect, however, is story progression. They worked on it before the release and you can see it in one of the files.

And actually, the lifestage I was referring to have added in was in Sims 2 ... university. It was a separate life stage added in between teen and young adult.

And I do think toddlers were pre-released, just like the story progression. If I remember right, there is a toddler folder.
  • Options
    I am going to decom

And actually, the lifestage I was referring to have added in was in Sims 2 ... university. It was a separate life stage added in between teen and young adult.

And I do think toddlers were pre-released, just like the story progression. If I remember right, there is a toddler folder.

Well. Let's hope that this is true. I really want toddlers to be back.
  • Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member

Actually, if I understand how the destination world works, I think that the GP is a direct response to some major feedback from the playerbase.

It looks like the world is composed of very large lots to minimize load screens, which looks to me to be one way that they're trying to appease those who are asking for more open neighbourhoods. I wouldn't be surprised if we see larger lots and more open worlds as the series progresses. People are also asking for more stuff to do with their Sims. Places we can take them with more activities. Camping seems to fit the bill there.
  • Options
    Well. Let's hope that this is true. I really want toddlers to be back.

I would love for toddlers to return as well. I only hope and pray that when they do, they are better than the washed down version we had in Sims 3.

I want toddlers we can bathe again in the kitchen sink. Changing tables to change dirty diapers and diapers that fall on the floor in a smelly heap if a changing table is not used. I don't want hygene to be increased by changing a dirty diaper and having said diaper disappear inside the body never to be seen again. I want toddlers to eat the pet food out of the dogs bowl ... to nap in the pets bed. I want more than just teach to walk, talk and use the potty ... but that is for another thread.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member

This 100%.

This is what brought up my suspicions. Few simmers have asked for camping. This either not prioritizing, trying to make money for something big, or just can't come up with much.

Aside from not being in high demand, I am afraid it is going to replace the bigger vacation expansions from 2 and 3 that were such major content/gameplay increases. With both previous expansions there were 3 destinations up front - all 3 were different, immersive, and featured different design and cultural items/clothing. People in other threads have said they feel it's

a lot of content but it doesn't hold a candle to the other EPs and I'd never buy each destination separately. It's also apparently not a liveable world, and what people are asking for (aside from toddlers) is more living/building space, customizability and venue types. For them to be releasing this as the first content pack is disappointing to say the least.

All that being said, and with all the poor choices that have been made with regard to the game thus far, I really have no idea what they will do about toddlers. Toddlers on their own won't revive family playstyles all that much imo, it will need a lot more attention. And to make people happy, the toddlers will have to be *fantastic.* I'm hoping to be proven wrong and that they will overhaul things and give us what the fans really want, but I have no real expectations.

And imo they can take the new expansion and feed it to the bear -.-
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    I don't have a need for smelly heaps of diapers all over the place. We don't have dishwashers much less washing machines. What would we do with all those dirty diapers? Put them in the garbage can that gives money?

I would like to see more functionality with toddlers too but considering what happened to babies when we asked for legs, I'm afraid of what they might think "more functionality" means. They'd probably be stuck to a playpen.

While it's nice that they may be doing something to increase the lot size of the new world, what are we supposed to do with the 2 worlds we have? They need to do more than just move forward. They need to address the issues that exist.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    If Toddlers are never going to be put in this game then you can kiss my money goodbye EA.

I bought the base game in hopes that they'd add toddlers in later but with nothing to be said about Toddlers and everyone believing that they might not add Toddlers in, it just crushes my hopes.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    No. I don't believe they will, but I'm waiting to see if EA has the guts to tell us that directly. I'd like a simple direct answer but I'm not holding my breath.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    leigheleighe Posts: 57 Member
    I think they will lose a lot of fans if they don't, me included. I also wonder if they are keeping silent so that they can avoid the backlash when they announce that toddlers aren't coming back.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    One word............NO.
  • Options
    KaiDohKaiDoh Posts: 40 Member
    I really really hope they do come back. I feel an emptiness without them.
  • Options
    KRUSSIDULLKRUSSIDULL Posts: 36 Member
    They'll probably come back at a cost muhhahaha $$$
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Nope. EA is trying to cater to a younger audience, which doesn't seem to care about families. Hence why we got walkstyles instead of toddlers.

I think it's just EA *thinks* this younger demographic doesn't want much in the way of family play. I think it's a gamble they got wrong.

I'm no expert but they created this engine from what I've been told. If they turn round and say no toddlers they better get ready to refund a slew of customers who bought under the impression EA would be finishing the base game once their 'tight deadline' that 'forced' them to release an unfinished game had gone past. They only said no toddlers a couple of months before release. If they never bothered working on them some customers are going to be very (justifiably!) angry.

Why create an engine that's not fit for purpose if that's the case?!

The thing is, they were able to do pools and ghosts because they were already working on them. They were just hidden from the final product. I'm not sure if toddlers are the same. They were able to do careers because that is a simple string addition. The only hard part about careers is the new interactions that they have to program. Python is a good language. Just not meant for gaming. It is very lightweight and very efficient which makes playing it on older computers possible. Many young people do not have powerful gaming computers which further proves the target audience for the game.

Yes which is why customers will be justifiably angry if they never worked on toddlers-they only announced what two months before release that toddlers wouldn't be in the base game on release? If they never worked on them they should have announced much earlier that they weren't ever going to because a lot of customers bought in the expectation of the base game being finished as they said it was 'time pressures' preventing us seeing them. Well those 'time pressures' have been and gone. They are being judged by their customers on where they go from there and if it's nowhere customers have a right to be angry. The very least they should do if they don't intend to implement them is give everyone who finds it breaks the game for them refunds.
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Well, Graham did say they didn't want to "just shoe-horn them in", so that, to me, gives a little bit of hope that a later addition might just happen. It's slim, I know, but it isn't a flat-out "No," as far as I can see.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Well, Graham did say they didn't want to "just shoe-horn them in", so that, to me, gives a little bit of hope that a later addition might just happen. It's slim, I know, but it isn't a flat-out "No," as far as I can see.

Yes I've not lost hope entirely but the longer this goes on the harder it is to hold onto that hope. Especially as I can't enjoy the sims 4 so at the moment it's a very expensive mistake :disappointed: