Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Happens If I Click "New Game"?

I have only one game...one save. I don't use the "save as" or "load game" features. I just click, play, save. Before I began, I deleted all the EA pre-made families. I don't want any of them in my game. I also evicted any families living in the neighborhoods. Of course, as I've played, I've made a lot of changes through Household Management, adding in a lot of sims I've made in CAS.

If I were to start a "New Game", would the neighborhoods appear as they did when I first got the game? Would the EA pre-mades be back?

If I do start a new game, my present game will still be there, right? I might want to play around with some other sims, but I don't want to mess up my current game to do it. I'm not gutsy enough to try it without knowing what to expect LOL.

Comments

• Options
    MiffoShortMiffoShort Posts: 1,901 Member
    You can create another Sim family, without intervening in your first one
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes everything will be started the same way as before, every premade will back to their usual house. And you can still load your last game.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    If you do start a new game & don't use Save As it will overwrite your existing save.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    If you do start a new game & don't use Save As it will overwrite your existing save.

That's what I'm concerned about LOL. I don't want to accidentally click something and overwrite my current game. Thanks.

• Options
    MiffoShort wrote: »
    You can create another Sim family, without intervening in your first one

Oh, I have dozens of families. It's not families or households I'm concerned about. I just wasn't sure what would happen if I started a totally new game. Thanks.

• Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    If you start a new game, it will have a different number automatically. It won't interfere with your first game.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

This. So make sure you use save as and name it something else so that you will have a separate game to load.

• Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited January 2015

I don't think it overwrite it, it'll create a file named "my saved games 2" (or 3,4,5 depends on how many time you press new game). But Save As help because you can rename your new save so you can tell which save it is.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    The world ends.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    AkramA wrote: »

I don't think it overwrite it, it'll create a file named "my saved games 2" (or 3,4,5 depends on how many time you press new game). But Save As help because you can rename your new save so you can tell which save it is.

Except that he said he doesn't use the Load feature. I lost a game by not using Load or Save As - so I always use them now.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I used Save As, and lost my game.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »

In the main menu you click on top right and there is option to choose all your saved games.

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    catitude5 wrote: »

In the main menu you click on top right and there is option to choose all your saved games.
    Ok, I missed that. Thanks.

• Options
    I don't know what happened, but my game seems to be a mess now. It tells me it can't load the saved game because it was created with newer files than what I have installed. Huh? That's not even possible. My game is completely up to date and was up to date when I saved. I double-checked Origin, and yes, my game is current. Now I have about six different saves/auto saves and I don't know what is what, but either I've lost the last save from my main game yesterday or else I just can't find it. So much for fooling around with a "new game". I'll never try that again.

I've deleted the new game files, and now I just want my old game back. I did find one old save that works, so I've only lost about one day of play. I don't understand this entire "save file" and "auto save" and "slotXXXX save" system at all.

Now, with luck, I can find my sims and play.
  • Options
    NightmareCandleNightmareCandle Posts: 531 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've seen that issue pop up often on the forums. (The "This game is saved with a newer version of TS4.") This happens even if you only have one save, I assume. I don't remember what the solution was, but some forum searching will tell you. It was something plum simple like restarting Origin or your computer, or repairing with Origin, or something.

Just make sure to back up your folder (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Saves) next time you do something you aren't sure about, even though this is likely completely unrelated to you starting a new save.
    As someone who cycles between 20 save slots for my one game, I hate the nameless slot system too. It's half bearable in game because you can see what you named the saves, but having to sort the folder by date modified just to see the saves in chronological order is awful. I never touch auto saves. Skyrim and Mass Effect taught me that lesson.
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Maybe it would help if you repair your game at Origin? No idea, but that should result in the latest version, being newer than both your saves.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe it would help if you repair your game at Origin? No idea, but that should result in the latest version, being newer than both your saves.

Yeah, I did that. I was able to quickly load the last save, so I think my game is back to normal. I did lose a little, but nothing that was really significant. No marriages, no promotions, no babies...LOL.

• Options
    FayeSydney99FayeSydney99 Posts: 1 New Member
    so how do you create a new game and still access the other one?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Click the plus sign in top right, not the one near the play button. When you save, use "Save As" to create an easy to recognize save name. Use the little file icon in the top right to pick which save to load. Ignore the big Play triangle.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member

Hello @FayeSydney99
    This picture may help you . By pressing the load button which has the floppy disk symbol on it, you can choose which save game file to play.

14QrLRU.png
  • Options
    SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    can someone, anyone please help me with my crises, I've accidentally pressed new game and all of my lots and game plays have completely gone and i don't know how to get my game back to i had it before.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    can someone, anyone please help me with my crises, I've accidentally pressed new game and all of my lots and game plays have completely gone and i don't know how to get my game back to i had it before.

See the new part of this: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/save-games-disappearing/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.