Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Loading screens getting slow

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2014
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    HollowVoid wrote: »
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    I hate loading screens and it's for this reason. The problem will only get much worse when more things are piled onto the game. Such a huge mistake to remove open world... :\

The Sims 3 suffered the same thing, just rendering times took longer (aka Everything looks Grey) everyone a new lot was loaded.
    Yeah no, even when I had my old gear it would take a handful of seconds. Now with my upgraded rig (and the fact that running it from an SSD does make a noticeable impact on such things) it's a miracle if it doesn't completely load the lot in one second.

If you have a good video card, and processor, the Sims load screens are only around 5 seconds long. And there's no long loading screen at the beggining. And if I load a house that's already in the same world, it takes only 3 seconds. Quicker than what it took for a Sim to answer the door in The Sims 3.

I haven't noticed minute long load screens. That said, the Sims 4 is the ony thing on my gaming PC right now since I had to install a clean version of Windows 7 back in July, and I have just used my laptop for my other games.

The only long loading screens I get are when I'm traveling to the forgotten grotto or the other secret world. They take about 20 - 30 seconds. I'm guessing because they are in another part of he games files.
    My problem isn't so much how long it takes, it's about being drawn out of the game. When my sim is waiting for another sim to open the door, that's part of the gameplay. I'm playing his/her life and he/she's waiting at the door. When I watch a white screen with a green plumbbob in it my sim is gone and so is my feeling of living their life.
    Same thing with travelling. It takes time as travelling takes time, but it is playing the game.

immersion killer simple
    Eh... Say that in German please, I don't understand you lol

Edit (slow brain, sorry): you mean it kills the feeling of being immersed?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Might be that the save game files are getting bigger? It was the same in TS3 but as there was no loading screens between lots you wouldn't really notice it much
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    My save file is not that big. It is only 3,102KB.
  • Options
    thesimsfairy47thesimsfairy47 Posts: 6,116 Member
    Might be that the save game files are getting bigger? It was the same in TS3 but as there was no loading screens between lots you wouldn't really notice it much

If you use "save as" you can create a new save file which is very helpful.
    Sims 5 artstyle poll Here
    monday-to-friday-workweek-graphic.jpg
  • Options
    My save file is not that big. It is only 3,102KB.
    That's huge save file in my book lol.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Really? I've seen people post far larger. It's only 3Mb. I think that is pretty small.
  • Options
    Really? I've seen people post far larger. It's only 3Mb. I think that is pretty small.
    It must be my three years old computer ;) Saving takes like minutes when my file is getting anywhere near 1000 kb.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    I hate loading screens and it's for this reason. The problem will only get much worse when more things are piled onto the game. Such a huge mistake to remove open world... :\

The Sims 3 suffered the same thing, just rendering times took longer (aka Everything looks Grey) everyone a new lot was loaded.
    Yeah no, even when I had my old gear it would take a handful of seconds. Now with my upgraded rig (and the fact that running it from an SSD does make a noticeable impact on such things) it's a miracle if it doesn't completely load the lot in one second.

If you have a good video card, and processor, the Sims load screens are only around 5 seconds long. And there's no long loading screen at the beggining. And if I load a house that's already in the same world, it takes only 3 seconds. Quicker than what it took for a Sim to answer the door in The Sims 3.

I haven't noticed minute long load screens. That said, the Sims 4 is the ony thing on my gaming PC right now since I had to install a clean version of Windows 7 back in July, and I have just used my laptop for my other games.

The only long loading screens I get are when I'm traveling to the forgotten grotto or the other secret world. They take about 20 - 30 seconds. I'm guessing because they are in another part of he games files.
    My problem isn't so much how long it takes, it's about being drawn out of the game. When my sim is waiting for another sim to open the door, that's part of the gameplay. I'm playing his/her life and he/she's waiting at the door. When I watch a white screen with a green plumbbob in it my sim is gone and so is my feeling of living their life.
    Same thing with travelling. It takes time as travelling takes time, but it is playing the game.

immersion killer simple

Yeah the immersion of the game for a Life Simulator how deep the details are for the Game (In german it would be called die vertiefung oder der tiefgang des Spiel, wie viel eben an details gedacht wird was eine Lebens Simulation nun mal haben sollte).
    You know what i mean the vehicle pick up animation for example gives the game more immersion for being a Life Simulation, cause the Sims have Cars and other Vehicles picking them up for work or that the Sims are walking to the end of the lot, instead using a teleport skill like playing a RPG Game.
    And Open World just gave the Sims Game a whole new level being immersive. Sorry if you already understand that, just wanted to reply again here :p
  • Options

immersion killer simple

Yeah the immersion of the game for a Life Simulator how deep the details are for the Game (In german it would be called die vertiefung oder der tiefgang des Spiel, wie viel eben an details gedacht wird was eine Lebens Simulation nun mal haben sollte).
    You know what i mean the vehicle pick up animation for example gives the game more immersion for being a Life Simulation, cause the Sims have Cars and other Vehicles picking them up for work or that the Sims are walking to the end of the lot, instead using a teleport skill like playing a RPG Game.
    And Open World just gave the Sims Game a whole new level being immersive. Sorry if you already understand that, just wanted to reply again here :p
    Thanks. Yes, I understood basically what you meant now, but this explained it more thoroughly (and I agree, obviously).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    Gaming Pc are the best for the Sims, just because they have so much content in it. People should just get a decent Pc to get rid off for loading time.

In Sims 3 under 2 minutes from desktop to the Game and after that no loading at all. Sims 2 have more problems i need to load around 3 min to get into the Game from the desktop and also need around 30 sec to load a new lot.
    Sims 4 around 1 min to get into game, after that around 15 sec to load to visit new lot, but truth to be told i do not leave home that much when playing it.
    So i prefer the Sims 3 loading much more, i don't have problems with it. Point end of discussion, get better Pc and you won't suffer from anything.

My Rig

- Win7 64bit Home Premium
    - Case Aero Cool XPredator X3 with 4x Corsair Air Series CO-9050016-RLED AF120 silent Edition
    - PSU Corsair RM850 with 850 Watt
    - AsusMaximus VII Hero Mainboard
    - i7- 4770k @3,50 GHz OC @4,00 GHz, cooled with be quiet! BK019 Dark Rock Pro 3
    - Kingston HyperX Performance 16 GB RAM
    - 2x Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC 3072 MB
    - 2x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD for Games and Windows
    - 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda for storage
    - Asus BW-16D1HT Silent for playing Blueray and DVD

Happy Holidays :p

nobody cares. not everyone is rich enough to have a super nasa computer, sorry.
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • Options
    101Gamer101Gamer Posts: 131 Member
    edited December 2014
    Slowding Screens (Kappa)
    The Sims 4 is about Emotions and reduced CPU power consumption. Right?
    Also, complete agree with this.
  • Options
    PheobelisPheobelis Posts: 45 Member
    > @Jessa_Dakkar said:
    > catmando830 wrote: »
    >
    > Also, if you can afford it (I was smart enough to ask Santa for this is a SSD.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've read from other players here who have an SSD that the difference is negligible in comparison.

Hardly, I have Sims 4 on my SSD drive and the load time is 1 or 2 seconds.
  • Options
    Pheobelis wrote: »
    > @Jessa_Dakkar said:<br />
    > catmando830 wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > Also, if you can afford it (I was smart enough to ask Santa for this is a SSD.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > I've read from other players here who have an SSD that the difference is negligible in comparison.<br />
    <br />
    Hardly, I have Sims 4 on my SSD drive and the load time is 1 or 2 seconds.

I guess you weren't the others that I have read from. Glad it's fast for you, but it isn't for everyone with an SSD.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    For the sake of it if EA/Maxis returned to loading screens because people was complaining of the open world slowing down some people's computers and now it appears that loading screens are getting longer in loading. then those users are back at square one. One should not have to jump through hoops to get a game to run right. EA/Maxis should and can put a option in the game to shorten loading times when it occurs.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Why do people say 'nobody cares' when they mean 'I don't care'?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MisterAyerMisterAyer Posts: 34 Member
    I would like to just add to the SSD part:

I originally had Sims 4 on a standard HD- and then moved it to my SSD. I noticed no difference in load times what so ever; so take the SSD improvement on load times with a grain of salt. Mind you, the load times are usually under 5 seconds, and rarely any longer than 30. I still haven't identified why sometimes the load times are so much longer, but it seems to happen when I don't play for a few days. Maybe some sort of load screen spirit of vengeance.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    All SSDs are not equal, they come in various speeds, you have to pay attention to how fast data can go back and forth when buying one. Granted any SSD is faster than the traditional HD but then again all SSDs are not equal. Also SSDs cannot go through the same maintenance that you do with a HD. Defragging an SSD is a no-no ruins the life of a SSD.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen