Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UK Simmers Have to Pay $15 MORE for Game Packs Than American Simmers

Comments

• Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

When I buy games from origin or steam and the price is 19.99. I pay more for it because they add taxes on to the purchase price. I live in the US.

If people in the UK buy a game for 19.99 and pay 19.99 the taxes are included in the UK prices. Where as the US taxes are not included in the price but added to the final purchasing price.

do you think that your taxes will sum up to 11$? Because that's how much UK people would have to pay extra.
    I love buying from American Amazon, because even with taxes added a lot of non region restricted games are cheaper.
  • Options
    Rayeee18Rayeee18 Posts: 333 Member
    It's really bothering me and making me think that I'm not going to buy it.
  • Options
    UltraUltra Posts: 826 Member
    The pricing is Torrential
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I think it is probably a mistake. But if it isn't and they are charging US$20 and £20, I hope they charge A$20 and NZ$20 for us downunder. Just joking.

But really it probably is just a mistake, and someone from EA really should confirm it sooner rather than later, to stop people getting upset.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    The pricing is Torrential

Um-ah
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    Claret1011Claret1011 Posts: 297 Member
    joleaco wrote: »
    I think it is probably a mistake. But if it isn't and they are charging US$20 and £20, I hope they charge A$20 and NZ$20 for us downunder. Just joking.

But really it probably is just a mistake, and someone from EA really should confirm it sooner rather than later, to stop people getting upset.

I agree that it is likely to be a mistake. Someone copied and pasted from the US announcement to the UK site and they just forgot to change the 20.

It would clearly be ridiculous for them to expect the UK to pay £20 compared to US $20 for a digital download.

And, EA, if that really was the plan, give it up and pretend it was a mistake! Cos that isn't gonna work - we do have the internet, we know what the price is in the US! And this may not be the best strategy to try and stop people illegally downloading (or just using a VPN).

I'm very happy to pay for the content, but I won't be paying one and half times as much as the US.
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Guys as I think I may have already said, it isn't priced at £20 on the UK site; it's priced at £19.99. It cannot therefore be an issue of someone just copying and pasting the price across the board; it is clear that £19.99 is the price they intend to charge.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    Guys as I think I may have already said, it isn't priced at £20 on the UK site; it's priced at £19.99. It cannot therefore be an issue of someone just copying and pasting the price across the board; it is clear that £19.99 is the price they intend to charge.

Big difference.
    The U.S. pricing is also 19.99
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    edited December 2014
    19.99 = 19.99, I see no difference in numbers they must of separated the stores which means you guys are buying from the EU store not the US thus no conversation.
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • Options
    olekebollekeolekebolleke Posts: 156 Member
    If they would buy from the european store than the price still doesn't make sense. €20 is £17 and €20 is $26. We pay $6 more in europe and reading everything the people in the uk pay $11 more. This is just wrong in my opinion
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    Rohrlach wrote: »
    Ahahahaha try living in NZ *cries*

Oddly, the price of the base game wasn't $60 australian dollars when USD and AUD were at parity. It was $90. Even if we remove 10% for tax, it's still $80 odd dollars.

So the exchange rate thing is bollocks. They charge what they can.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    I agree, EA should give an explanation on the price differences between countries.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    Wow, I was already on the fence about buying this pack in the first place, but this pricing nonsense has helped me make a decision at last. I'd be unsure about spending any money right now but I'm definitely not shelling out twenty quid for something everybody else in the world is getting cheaper. What the hell?!
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Has this even been confirmed? Because from what I saw, they never confirmed the UK price, only the USD.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I agree, EA should give an explanation on the price differences between countries.

Couldn't agree more. I suspect we will be waiting until hell freezes over for an answer. This company does not seem to have any motivation other than profit. A few unhappy fans in the UK isn't going to affect their bottom line.

If it isn't tax or the current exchange it must be the current pricing strategy.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited December 2014
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. I suspect we will be waiting until hell freezes over for an answer. This company does not seem to have any motivation other than profit. A few unhappy fans in the UK isn't going to affect their bottom line.

If it isn't tax or the current exchange it must be the current pricing strategy.

Lol. Hell is censored.
    We have sensitive Christians here spared under the 12+ rating?
    + Well the gurus are still on vacation so.. Unlikely for now >_<
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Oh raspberries :)

I wonder if I can say this is daylight robbery if true ? LOL
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    NukismNukism Posts: 30 New Member
    This seems to me like a pretty good "hopefully no-one will notice " tactic with a "but if they do complain, let's just lower the price and say it was an error" get-out-of-jail-free-card.

The irony is with the amount of frustration there already is towards this version of the game, you'd think that trying to keep fans sweet by paying attention to details such as these would be a better approach.

I just downloaded the new holiday patch and will be spending today re-installing the game for the single time that I'm willing to do that. If it breaks next time, then I'm going to bypass Sims 4 as I bypassed the latest Sim City. And that download was free.

I have no intention whatsoever of paying nearly double the UK price for a game pack considering the current indications of EAs quality assurance process.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,063 Member
    Lol. Hell is censored.

try with Inferno
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    joleaco wrote: »

Mistake??? That's the way it's been for years.
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Let me help clear this up a bit. This is not a mistake nor is it something that happened with just this pack. It has been the same for every single Sims game, expansion and stuff pack since Sims 3. It has nothing to do with taxes, etc because in the past up until Sims 4 base game I was able to get the price offered in US by buying the game from other sites you offered digital download of Sims games. Unfortunately, neither of these sites are carrying Sims games anymore. I had refused to purchase from Origin because for some stupid reason the Sims website quotes me the price in US dollars but when I go to buy I am transferred to Origin which then changes to Euros. I have no idea why after all these years they can not rectify this. No other website (unless it is a UK based site) charges me in Euros. Why does Origin do this?
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited December 2014
    This has to be a mistake... right?

I know time and time again we end up getting the short end of the stick with release dates, pricing etc (granted not the SHORTEST, but still pretty dang short enough to be feeling reasonably irritated but also resigned to it), I know that no matter what our price is we're always going to be paying more than America but there's something very odd about this whole thing which is making me question it:- the pricing is identical.

Usually when it comes to The Sims expansions / stuff packs and indeed, games in general, I see a similar trend which is the American price being about $10 higher than our price. (i.e. our games cost £50, your games cost $60) so why in this one instance for as long as I've been dealing with EA are we suddenly getting a like for like £20 / $20 offering?

It doesn't make any sense.

I really do think it's a mistake and our price should actually be £10 / £15 because that just makes the most sense to me based on dealing with EA and gaming in general for as long as I have been. If it's not then EA most definitely DO have some explaining to do because no, you cannot just swap the currency sign and act as though that's OK.

Edit: If this isn't a mistake then EA can stick it.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited December 2014
    It's EA. They can.

Just make sure you vote with your wallet on that "business". Otherwise, they won't change it.
  • Options
    DiamondkoolDiamondkool Posts: 4,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    For god's sake! I think they have made a pricing mistake, I've checked out a Spanish post and it says 20€! Number 20! Which is the same number as pounds (despite that £20 has been subtracted a penny) and USD! I'm certainly sure they will resolve this mistake. We are going to see how exactly much it is going to cost, OK? Stop waffling about taxes and other stuff! It's just a blog post and we haven't heard more about it!
    7ef6931fe80152dcec309a30cbe73f13.png
    Click on my signature to access my tumblr blog!