Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do people still strongly dislike the style?

All over the forums, I've seen people complain about the hair looking plastic or the Sims look pixar-ish or the grass looking to flat or something like that. Me, personally, I've loved the style of the game since they revealed it, even though I wasn't so fond of the game itself from what I was hearing. In the end, the style drove me to play and I found out I super, SUPER enjoy it. Anyway, back to the point.

Why do so many people dislike the style? The more stylized look actually helps the game more than it hinders; there are several more hairstyles this time around that go to the shoulders or past them! Remember what happened when they tried that in The Sims 3?
gallery_5_27_413729_zpsf88fafd3.jpg
(Just googled to find it, it obviously has a watermark)

Yeah, we got some messes like that, or the hairstyles where it was just a big rectangular clump of hair in the back. The graphics quality of the hair could definitely be improved, a lot of them do get very blocky towards where the hair ends. But the hair itself does react to light; I will admit, it is a bit plastic-ish, but I believe that was the fault on Maxis attempting to make it look more realistic and having the hair texture end up looking the way it is (Trying to make something shiny but not plastic is VERY hard in games)

Now, as for the sims themselves? I think the style they've gone with no works almost perfect with them; They're heads are actually in more proportion to their body than 3, they don't have the lobster claw hands from 2, either. Sims have always been exaggerated humans. Their eyes double in size, they make weird faces, they're very jaunty in their movement, and extremely realistic Sims don't work for that; if they toned it down and made the animations and gameplay more realistic all-together, then GTA V-esque Sims could be in a game.

Anyway, I hope I've made my point, because my real issue with how the game looks is the quality of the graphics rather than the style. You can see their thighs come to a point from the low polygon count! For some reason, the rest of the body is pretty decent but the legs are just so low poly. And some of the objects are just a bit... bad.

90b0418b1df6950fe185862008720994.pnga6fb12a21d5b8309925f235eac874955.png
4f130343d8f4082fab45c29c907e4dbc.png

It's 2014... why are some of those models so poor? Also, The Sims is about people and furniture, so shouldn't those two things be the best looking things in the game graphically since it's what we look at the most?

Comments

• Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Yeah and they're player-made CC. It takes a whole team to make a hairstyle for this game but these CC hairs only need one person.

People just like common sense in this forum but I will never get tired of telling them over and over because it's funny.
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    They models and textures on some of the furniture is horrible, don't get me wrong.

But, I honestly think they did a great job on the Sims themselves. Every Sim I've created thus far has turned out extremely well. They look so darn good I tell ya'.

The Sims 3 Objects > The Sims 4 Objects
    The Sims 4 Sims > The Sims 3 Sims
    IMO. :)
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    I find the sims themselves to be a vast improvement from the previous games. But have you seen the patterns on the rugs?
    You'd think EA would've put some effort on this since it's a central decorative piece in many rooms.
    EA just botched them. Total waste.
    Luckily someone posted some nice recolors on Mod the Sims yesterday. Go look. Big improvement.
  • Options
    Fordee09 wrote: »
    They models and textures on some of the furniture is horrible, don't get me wrong.

But, I honestly think they did a great job on the Sims themselves. Every Sim I've created thus far has turned out extremely well. They look so darn good I tell ya'.

This bolded part is so wrong. Sims 4 is supposed to be an improvement of Sims 3's. But we all know that it wasn't anyway. I'm just really agreeing with this. #Truth
  • Options
    mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm really fund of the graphics :D
    Post edited by mikmaker on
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I'm okay with the style of sims 4. I don't love it, I've kind of settled for it I guess. The sims themselves are fine, I just wish that clothes and objects had a little more texture detail.
  • Options
    pinkknight1006pinkknight1006 Posts: 792 Member
    edited December 2014
    I like the new look myself it was one of the main reason why I wanted the game. I even like the animation with the coffee pot because the actually pulling out the tray or whatever you call it for the grinds and pouring it in rather than reaching through it.
    Post edited by pinkknight1006 on
    p.gifi.gifn.gifk.gifk.gifn.gifi.gifg.gifh.gift.gif
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Fordee09 wrote: »

Yes.
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    I like the style of the graphics, there appears to be more detail with sims faces, however I think all the sims games graphics are wonderful in their own right, TS1 still beats some of today's graphics. :)
  • Options
    Clarkie100 wrote: »
    I like the style of the graphics, there appears to be more detail with sims faces, however I think all the sims games graphics are wonderful in their own right, TS1 still beats some of today's graphics. :)
    I don't where your head is at but I agree that TS1 beats TS4's map view.
  • Options
    kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    The sims look great with cc fixes imo. You can change their hair, clothes, eyes with cc and the !lashes! with cc too. CC has helped the sims games over the years and like someone mentioned above, it takes one person to do that while they take a whole team for one hairstyle... :| why??
    Clearly the little stuff isn't the priority.

One day I hope there's a sim game that has great graphics(aesthetics) that cc won't be needed because all the cc creators are working for them!
  • Options
    Jimil wrote: »

LOL! Trust me TS1 does beat some graphics on other games made this year. :smiley:
  • Options
    DekrRiniDekrRini Posts: 416 Member
    It's a matter of personal taste. I still don't like the graphics and I find the sims in game so different than the one I created that it's very annoying. And I totally loathe the actual hair style, although the colors are much better. Close up, most of the hair looks like it has the leaves from the plant sims in S3. But as I said, it's all a matter of taste. I would have liked sims more along the lines of those from TSM, but as long as I pull way far away while playing, the sim is okay.
  • Options

LOL! Trust me TS1 does beat some graphics on other games made this year. :smiley:
    I suppose you're totally right. Seeing as how TS4 was released this year.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I'm a little disappointed in the hair, yes.

I'm rather disappointed in the big, chunky chairs and some furniture I've seen.

I Really can't stand the clouds and the rock formations... I guess I'm not hating it but I'm not really loving the whole Style of TS4. :(
  • Options
    SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    In Sims 3 we could make stunning 3D environments simply because the game had a more realistic art style.
    Now it's like trying to decorate a house for Fred Flintstone. Everything is just too cartoony and blocky.
    So yes, I'm still 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

And when you think about it, when the home decoration aspect of the game is suffering the whole game loses meaning.
    We could argue that the Sims has a very materialistic and capitalistic philosophy. You start from scratch and with some work you manage to build a dream home. But take away our capacity to be creative with their homes and what's left? There's no reward for their labor anymore!

A very naughty word comes to mind : communism. Our sims are commies, and EA is selling propaganda. It's a fact.
  • Options

There's one for you.

There's that Rayman game, TomoDacHi Life, TS1 beats their graphics easily in my opinion. :)
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I hate it sooo much. It makes me puke glitter unicorn poop.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

There's one for you.

There's that Rayman game, TomoDacHi Life, TS1 beats their graphics easily in my opinion. :)
    Oh man don't get me started with Rayman. #Nostalgia

But yeah TS1 graphics are like a painting. #BestEver
  • Options

There's one for you.

Oh man don't get me started with Rayman. #Nostalgia

But yeah TS1 graphics are like a painting. #BestEver

Completely agree.

I've only started playing Rayman, it's very difficult for me. Good laugh though. :smiley:
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    So you went and found the worst TS3 hair example you could find. :)
    That's a reflection of the artist's talent, not the game.

My siggie shows what I prefer.
    EA hair has always had some really bad ones, but they also had styles I did not mind.

I really like TS4 sims, but it's mainly due to the face sculpting ability of CAS.
    I still find myself replacing or adding eyes, eyebrows, hair, makeup, and eyelashes. I did it in TS2 and TS3, still doing in TS4. I still believe the blocky meshes and blury textures are a legacy from being an online multi-player game. Playing better on low end computers makes for a better story to tell, so I guess EA will stick to this graphic level.

I mainly have a problem with the environment art style. It's more cartoonish than TS2. This makes it difficult for simmers who like to bend their game towards realism.

I will just take advantage of all sources to get the game I want.
    I have replaced the blurred moss texture with grass that looks more like grass. It makes a huge difference to me. It has raised my liking for the environment. All I need to do is get rid of those cartoon clouds. I don't think I can do much about the trees in the world but I will be very selective about what trees I put on home and community lots.
    12-16-14_12-49nbspPM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

EA hair has always had some really bad ones, but they also had styles I did not mind.

I really like TS4 sims, but it's mainly due to the face sculpting ability of CAS.
    I still find myself replacing or adding eyes, eyebrows, hair, makeup, and eyelashes. I did it in TS2 and TS3, still doing in TS4. I still believe the blocky meshes and blury textures are a legacy from being an online multi-player game. Playing better on low end computers makes for a better story to tell, so I guess EA will stick to this graphic level.

I mainly have a problem with the environment art style. It's more cartoonish than TS2. This makes it difficult for simmers who like to bend their game towards realism.

I have replaced the blurred moss texture with grass that looks more like grass. It makes a huge difference to me. It has raised my liking for the environment. All I need to do is get rid of those cartoon clouds. I don't think I can do much about the trees in the world but I will be very selective about what trees I put on home and community lots.
    12-16-14_12-49nbspPM.png

I don't see how the plumming plum you can stand having your looks clashing with the environment and style so much. It infuriates me beyond all belief to see you people clashing styles. :/

Sims are sims. Not humans. Nor porcelain dolls.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    CK213 wrote: »

12-16-14_12-49nbspPM.png

I don't see how the plumming plum you can stand having your looks clashing with the environment and style so much. It infuriates me beyond all belief to see you people clashing styles. :/

Sims are sims. Not humans. Nor porcelain dolls.

Ha. :D

It's easy when you don't care for the style in the first place.
    Better some of what I want than none. The more content I find, the less it will clash.

It's bizarre to me that it would infuriate you to see others play the way they enjoy. (Something really odd there.)
    Why not be happy they are transforming the game into something they can play instead of giving up on the game an taking their money elsewhere?

Why EA made the style more cartoonish than TS2 is strange to me to begin with.
    They know a large segment of their customer base mods the game to make it more realistic. Now they are making it more difficult to do that with this art style.

It's like they want to slowly kill this IP.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Be glad I am not a designer. She probably have the hair and it look little different.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I should get into modding. I could make exactly what I want. :)