Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

@Maxis, autonomous sitting desperately needs to be tuned

This has to be simultaneously one of the greatest yet infuriating features in the game. I like that sims will adjust positions and sit but at the same time please balance it. Sims should only move to sit if it is realistic for the exact location of the conversation. A sim should not walk half way across the room to sit down when there is no reason that the normal standing conversation would work just fine. Sims seem to have this attitude that they desire to be sitting at all times and it's getting on my nerves especially as a story teller when I'm trying to get a picture of a standing conversation and the other sim keeps trying to sit down when there's no real reason for him to do so.

Comments

• Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I mentioned this to a guru ages ago. If a group of sims sits at a table to eat and there are empty chairs, they will play musical chairs and take their plate to an empty chair. Then another sim will move to the newly vacated chair, then another sim, again and again and again. Or, like you pointed out, sims will walk clear across the room or sit at the computer (even though they are not using it) rather than sit with the person they're talking to.

Sit together doesn't seem to work either. I don't know if this is caused by a jump bug or some other reason, but it's super annoying.
  • Options
    Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Chimps Tea Party! :D
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,873 Member
    This isn't a bug, this is a feature of the Sims series! :o

I don't know if I'm joking or not. I've always had issues with the way Sims will either talk to each other or have meals.....right from sims 1...
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    See that's where I differ, I thought the original Sims did a good job of eating and socializing but the rest of the series fell short, as others stated.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,873 Member
    Chimark wrote: »
    See that's where I differ, I thought the original Sims did a good job of eating and socializing but the rest of the series fell short, as others stated.

I will admit, it's been so long since I've played Sims 1 that my memories may be mistaken. But I know I had issues with it in Sims 2 and beyond.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    OnendOnliYazzieOnendOnliYazzie Posts: 1,375 Member
    I hate that my sims do this too. And I really hate that sometimes my sims will be in the middle of a conversation and then suddenly my sim who has no fitness skill because I didnt plan for him to have fitness skill gets on the treadmill and now has a fitness skill. I also can't stand for some reason in my game when my sims are sitting on the couch watching tv & talking or channel surfing together they randomly stand up and then sit back down its so weird.
    I love to share my sims stories and hear about others. Got a story you want to share come talk to me!
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I hate that my sims do this too. And I really hate that sometimes my sims will be in the middle of a conversation and then suddenly my sim who has no fitness skill because I didnt plan for him to have fitness skill gets on the treadmill and now has a fitness skill. I also can't stand for some reason in my game when my sims are sitting on the couch watching tv & talking or channel surfing together they randomly stand up and then sit back down its so weird.

Gotta wonder if someone stuck pins in that sofa, huh?

@jcp011c2, they always have chatted too much while eating. I remember I gave up in Sims 2 and put in a mod that reduced the chatter so my sims wouldn't starve to death while eating. I don't remember the musical chairs situation I described, though. Maybe they coded in "the chair that's unoccupied is always comfier than the one I'm in" syndrome!
  • Options
    FishyGoRawrFishyGoRawr Posts: 125 Member
    I think my favorite sitting bug atm is when a Sim who is reading a book gets food and then it's unsure whether to sit, put down the book, or put down the food. They're just stuck in a small but time-wasting loop of standing there swaying back and forth uncertain of what to do
  • Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    I haven't had to deal with musical chairs in forever. They sit and they barely move, besides when someone leaves the conversation. Besides, a lot of people IRL choose to sit and chat... This isn't the Sims 3 anymore, you don't have to stand 1 foot away from eachother with direct eye contact to chat.
  • Options
    KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    It's the same with drinks, Sims take forever to finish them if they get involved in a conversation. Also I have to keep any audio player out of the dining room because otherwise a meal lasts 3 times longer as your Sim always turns it on and listens even if they don't have the Music Lover trait.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Sims need to constantly engage in the game of Musical chairs or grimmy will come reap their souls, this was the deal they had to make to have their demon babies fixed.
  • Options
    KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    Jimboola11 wrote: »
    Chimps Tea Party! :D

chimp-tea.jpg
  • Options
    siefier25siefier25 Posts: 41 Member
    I have not encountered this problem...yet. My issue is when they get up from the dining room table and bunch up in the kitchen staring at the ceiling and talking. Its creepy.
  • Options
    seminaricardoseminaricardo Posts: 244 Member
    I mentioned this bug before. It totally frustrates me as well. I also hope that they fix this bug soon! Ugh!
  • Options
    SkellySpadesSkellySpades Posts: 328 Member
    Also I HAAAAATE when my sim autonomously queues food making that costs money when I need him/her to do something else and have to cancel the option, but lose the money.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I had my sim got to a computer desk on the other side of the house instead of sitting at the kitchen counter.
  • Options
    nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited December 2014
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Sims need to constantly engage in the game of Musical chairs or grimmy will come reap their souls, this was the deal they had to make to have their demon babies fixed.

Let's play a game, shall we? Have a household of 8 sims and then stick them in a room. Once done, create another room with 7 chairs.

Now, have everyone talk with one another and then have some sim do the "Sit Together" on one of the chairs in the other room. The sim that doesn't get to sit has to drown. Once that sim is sleeping with the fishes, sell the other chair, move everyone back to the other room.

Repeat until one sim is left. For their inconvenience, give them 1 million simoleons.

-OR!-

Have 8 chairs. The first sim to stand up gets to meet their maker by starvation.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    nastyjman wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Let's play a game, shall we? Have a household of 8 sims and then stick them in a room. Once done, create another room with 7 chairs.

Now, have everyone talk with one another and then have some sim do the "Sit Together" on one of the chairs in the other room. The sim that doesn't get to sit has to drown. Once that sim is sleeping with the fishes, sell the other chair, move everyone back to the other room.

Repeat until one sim is left. For their inconvenience, give them 1 million simoleons.

-OR!-

Have 8 chairs. The first sim to stand up gets to meet their maker by starvation.

This is so evil.... I love it <.<
  • Options
    amydiamondamydiamond Posts: 33 Member
    > @JayedTadaSkier said:
    > I haven't had to deal with musical chairs in forever. They sit and they barely move, besides when someone leaves the conversation. Besides, a lot of people IRL choose to sit and chat... This isn't the Sims 3 anymore, you don't have to stand 1 foot away from eachother with direct eye contact to chat.

I agree that sitting and chatting isn't the issue... but the other sim(s) in the conversation should also move across the room to the sitting area so they aren't conversing clear across the room from each other!
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    Also I HAAAAATE when my sim autonomously queues food making that costs money when I need him/her to do something else and have to cancel the option, but lose the money.

If you cancel the interaction before they pull it from the fridge then it refunds the money