The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Compared to Sims 3

Comments

• Options
    JacindamayperryJacindamayperry Posts: 34 New Member
    The sims 4 is only new and there looking a what we have to say so I think more things to do will happen and we just have to wait. Although more sims and a bigger town would be nice
  • Options
    JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited December 2014
    Wow, so many brainwashed Max(i)sters running around. It's just sad to me that many of us have been brainwashed into thinking that it's okay in today's market to release a "base" game (at a AAA title price) and then sell us the rest of the game later in bits and pieces.

It used to be that a "base" game meant it was still a full featured and feature rich game that when they did add an expansion to it, it was something really great because the added expansion was adding on top of something that was already great. But with the Sims franchise, it's okay to just sell something so *base* that there is little to keep many peoples attention for more than an hour or so and they need to buy the expansions to get that same full featured game that most developers/publishers used to put out.

I think some of you folks must be joking when you say that EA/MAXIS must have run out of money to finish the game, this is EA/MAXIS we're talking about, I have to highly doubt that they ran out of money to make the "base" game more than what it really came out as. It's more about maximizing their profits just like they did with TS3, TS2 etc.

Anyway, as for me, TS3 with expansions is way better and more engaging than the *base* (cough, cough) game of TS4 which should be obvious why that would be. But from memory even, I had far more enjoyability with the *base* TS3 game than I've had with TS4 base game.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Jalida wrote: »
    Wow, so many brainwashed Max(i)sters running around. It's just sad to me that many of us have been brainwashed into thinking that it's okay in today's market to release a "base" game (at a AAA title price) and then sell us the rest of the game later in bits and pieces.

It used to be that a "base" game meant it was still a full featured and feature rich game that when they did add an expansion to it, it was something really great because the added expansion was adding on top of something that was already great. But with the Sims franchise, it's okay to just sell something so *base* that there is little to keep many peoples attention for more than an hour or so and they need to buy the expansions to get that same full featured game that most developers/publishers used to put out.

I think some of you folks must be joking when you say that EA/MAXIS must have run out of money to finish the game, this is EA/MAXIS we're talking about, I have to highly doubt that they ran out of money to make the "base" game more than what it really came out as. It's more about maximizing their profits just like they did with TS3, TS2 etc.

Anyway, as for me, TS3 with expansions is way better and more engaging than the *base* (cough, cough) game of TS4 which should be obvious why that would be. But from memory even, I had far more enjoyability with the *base* TS3 game than I've had with TS4 base game.

Yep. that's me, being puppeted by the puppetmaster. My brain is thoroughly washed just because I don't think like you. :) Cheers.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    I forced myself to like 3 because it came after 2. Then I realized I missed 2. So 4 will work for me once they build it up like all others before it. I would always build up massive family trees in TS3 that would for no reason at all crash. I was constantly losing my families due to glitches or whatnots:( and I bought a computer specifically to be able to play TS3. Its really hard to recover once you have lost something you built for so long. TS3 lost the quirkiness and got too real, then Maxis tried to overload the quirkiness back in and it was too late. I cannot go back to 3. I just need to be able to track a family in 4, and wait for expansions.

I know the feeling, when I first got TS3 with Ambitions and WA, after about a month on the same save my save started going glitchy and ultimately got corrupted. I took an extended break until I came back and got the rest at a reduced price. Geared it up and now it feels like a dream that could've never happened to have my year and a half save standing still running like on the first day on my third generation (yeah, my life spans are 850 days, it takes quite a bit but the family tree is humongous regardless, scattered around mostly a custom world, Bridgeport, Twinbrook and Isla Paradiso) Hard to keep track of them, every time I visit their worlds they have progressed way too much.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    It´s not fair for sims 4 to be compared to TS2 or TS3, please be good to TS4... they are sims at the end :p
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited December 2014
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Yep. that's me, being puppeted by the puppetmaster. My brain is thoroughly washed just because I don't think like you. :) Cheers.
    No, but because you've bought into their CoolAide that you think it's okay for them to sell a stripped down *base* game at a AAA title's price and that's okay does mean that they've taught you that it's okay.

Unless of course you're just a youngster and can't remember (or weren't even a glint in your pappas eye) when developers (even MAXIS) used to put out full feature rich games and not this *base* game crud.

But I realize that our society is changing, people are far more willing to throw money out the door at almost anything (just look at all the early access games that people throw money at of which quite a few are now starting to or have failed). So people are so brainwashed about our dear sims franchise that we're willing to throw whatever amount is asked even if we are no longer getting a full game at that AAA price tag
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Indeed. And then there's those that jump the trigger thinking that it's a matter of opinion.

Well, it isn't. An opinion is to say whether you like TS4 or not. It might have a million issues, but that doesn't stop anyone from actually liking the game and there really isn't anything wrong with liking it. TS4 isn't a bad game at all, it's just not a sequel, nor can it be called 4.

I agree with your main point. From a development perspective, it's simple math. You decided to take out major core advancements from predecessors and hoped that the new features would be worth it. It doesn't work because the new features are far from revolutionary, there's nothing really unique that stands out from neither the game nor the gameplay (which is at its core TS2's gameplay) Better CAS, emotions, multitasking, better build mode, they are all minor features that one would expect in a sequel, but the game lacks anything revolutionary, a big advancement like TS1 > TS2, and TS2 > TS3. Not only that but when you compare those very same base games, none of them took so many things out like TS4 did under the false excuse of performance.

For a 14 year old franchise, it should be about time for any decent developer and publisher to actually look back and see where the past failed, where it succeeded, and how it can be condensed and augmented. TS4 could've taken so many cues from its predecessors; give us the rich sims from TS2, the open worlds and story progression from TS3 but augmented to allow for things like rotational play which means the ability to completely shut down all progression, the customization from TS3, the sheer amounts of gameplay from TS3 and the rich gameplay from TS2, so many things. If you are going to make the base game the same as all the previous (that is, skipping the same old content you always use for an EP such as seasons, pets, possibly generations, etc.) then at least make a worthy, advanced base game framework that shows potential and can be expanded in a unique manner.
  • Options

No, but because you've bought into their CoolAide that you think it's okay for them to sell a stripped down *base* game at a AAA title's price and that's okay does mean that they've taught you that it's okay.

Unless of course you're just a youngster and can't remember (or weren't even a glint in your pappas eye) when developers (even MAXIS) used to put out full feature rich games and not this *base* game crud.

But I realize that our society is changing, people are far more willing to throw money out the door at almost anything (just look at all the early access games that people throw money at of which quite a few are now starting to or have failed). So people are so brainwashed about our dear sims franchise that we're willing to throw whatever amount is asked even if we are no longer getting a full game at that AAA price tag

Or it could just be that I'm happy with it. Oh my. Yeah. I'm 12. Thanks for noticing.
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    4 for performance, 3 for options, 2 over all (if that counts).
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Sims 4. I tried to like Sims 3 and I couldn't, the robot sims just killed me. To be fair, I do not like the fact that Sims 4 sims have over emotional faces, and I wish that some of the emotions were more consistent. They were still more emotional for me than the sims I had in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Sims 3 is the game for me but what's the point of this topic ;)?
    Threads like this happened before. As long as they are in the S4 section it's all 'oh no this thread again' and 'I hate S3', and as soon as it's moved to the S3 section tables are turning :p

We could knit a decent sweater with all the threads made on this and many other topics. :wink: On the other hand, it might be better to compare TS4 with TS2 - they are very similar games, after all.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    EcongEcong Posts: 42 Member
    edited December 2014
    I prefer the Sims 4, and I don't know why some of the sims 3 fans are so aggressive
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited December 2014
    TS4 isn't finished yet while TS3 is so I can't really compare them, especially when you consider how much TS3 changed over it's life cycle. I can say that I've had fun with both and that's really all that matters. Since some seem to be mentioning TS2 as well, I guess I'll throw what I think of that one in too: I do not like TS2 and I will never play it again. I tried, but it's just not fun.
    Post edited by Allspice1232 on
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    TS4 isn't finished yet while TS3 is so I can't really compare them, especially when you consider how much TS3 changed over it's lifecycle. I can say that I've had fun with both and that's really all that matters. Since some seem to be mentioning TS2 as well, I guess I'll throw what I think of that one in too: I do not like TS2 and I will never play it again. I tried, but it's just not fun.

Well, in all fairness we are (or rather should be) comparing base game to base game. After all, the base game lays the framework, the potential, the mod-ability, the promise of where it can be expanded, and whatever core advancements it has over its predecessors.
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    I don't compare the original, 2, 3 and 4. They are all different. There are things I like and things I don't like about all of them.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited December 2014
    HollowVoid wrote: »
    TS4 isn't finished yet while TS3 is so I can't really compare them, especially when you consider how much TS3 changed over it's lifecycle. I can say that I've had fun with both and that's really all that matters. Since some seem to be mentioning TS2 as well, I guess I'll throw what I think of that one in too: I do not like TS2 and I will never play it again. I tried, but it's just not fun.

Well, in all fairness we are (or rather should be) comparing base game to base game. After all, the base game lays the framework, the potential, the mod-ability, the promise of where it can be expanded, and whatever core advancements it has over its predecessors.

That's fair, but I can't do that because I didn't play any of the previous ones with only the launch version base game. I started playing the sims with TS3 just after Late Night was released and I played TS2 after that with all EPs and SPs. That's why I said all I can say for sure is I've had fun with both TS3 and TS4.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Econg wrote: »
    I prefer the Sims 4, and I don't know why some of the sims 3 fans are so aggressive
    I ask myself the same question, as to why those prefer Sims 4, have to be so nasty and rude, about Sims 3.
    Calling it - "poop",
    - bug-ridden garbage
    - Soulless robots
    That they will never touch it again - or they hate it , etc ...
    There are many variations of insults used, repeatedly, by same people.
    As if we didn't get it, the first dozen times.

I don't go around calling Sims 4 -
    or other people, names.
    (only that I'm very disappointed about some aspects. Including the Cartoony world style, loading screens , loss of re-coloring tool, Grass, hair ...)

No one needs to be nasty of any Sims version .
    Yet, it goes On and On...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I ask myself the same question, as to why those prefer Sims 4, have to be so nasty and rude, about Sims 3.
    Calling it - "poop",
    - bug-ridden garbage
    - Soulless robots

or other people, names.
    (only that I'm very disappointed about some aspects. Including the Cartoony world style, loading screens , loss of re-coloring tool, Grass, hair ...)

It goes both ways. Negativity feeds itself well.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    edited December 2014
    TS4 cries itself to sleep every night once it remembers that it'll never sell as many copies as TS3 #PoorThing
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Calling it - "poop",
    - bug-ridden garbage
    - Soulless robots

or other people, names.

It goes both ways. Negativity feeds itself well.
    Are you trying to insult me and call me "negative" ?
    Or referring to the Sims Version bashing, in general ?

• Options

The latter. It goes both ways.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    TS3. 4 just doesn't hold my attention. Both 2 and 3 made advancements in areas that mattered to me. 2's generational play, 3's open world and customization, in my eyes those things had wow factor. "Emotions" and on rails gameplay in tiny neighborhoods just don't do it for me. And 4's base game is the first one that has left me with the feeling that it's almost too basic to be called an actual game.

So, yeah, if this where the series is going, then 3 is probably going to be the last sim game that I actually buy extra content for.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    RoomouseRoomouse Posts: 99 Member
    There are things I like in Sims 3 and things I like in Sims 4. Problems in both, of course.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member

The latter. It goes both ways.
    It's funny how they think the sims in the previous games as ugly when graphical improvement for each new game should be a thing. I tend to ignore that when they try to argue with me though. I just don't understand why they kept using it when it's not a valid point.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Jimil wrote: »
    It's funny how they think the sims in the previous games as ugly when graphical improvement for each new game should be a thing. I tend to ignore that when they try to argue with me though. I just don't understand why they kept using it when it's not a valid point.

Well. I personally thought they were all ugly, but that's just me. It never stopped me from playing it. I actually have to say S2 sims without CC were the ugliest with their overexaggerated features. Yet it's been my favourite for a long time.