The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How's the Sims 3 going on your Mac so far?

Comments

• Options
    ScraverXScraverX Posts: 762 New Member
    edited June 2009
    It's been said well in another thread, and possibly this one too. YMMV (your milage may vary). :D

I'm very used to slow so I find it quite playable. My internet is slow (Australia has poor internet generally) but it doesn't stop me playing GuildWars on my PC despite quite significant lag when I enter a Mission or new Area and when a Town is really busy.

In part it's down to people's standards. :D

Some people want to 'rush through' things and have the best possible graphics to look at. Some don't care.

Edit: I just wound some of my graphics settings up to high (of course I forgot to switch time machine off so I got booted out (dummy)) just to test. I could still speed up the action (though I didn't scroll around at high speed (3), but I don't anyway) and scrolling was fine paused and at normal speed. Things rendered a little slower but then I expected that.

I'll go back to default settings though because it's playable and I'd rather not push my MacBook too hard. :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    svaughnsvaughn Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I just returned from having my RAM upgrade, and I'm happy to say things are looking great!! I'm trying to play and clean house at the same time.... hmmm wonder what is getting more of my attention?? ;)
  • Options
    tWiZtED_kiDDtWiZtED_kiDD Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Not working to well for me. I got my emulation problem fixed but the game loads/plays very very VERY slow. Create-a-Sim runs pretty smoothly after a few minutes of loading, but the actual playing is unbearable. D:
  • Options
    blix01blix01 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    works good for me. I initially had some problem with the resolution switch as the game loaded, but I think that was a hardware issue and not the fault of the game.
    Now it runs fine.
  • Options
    mmc069mmc069 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2009
    So far I am in Sim Heaven. I have been playing since Saturday on my Imac and have had no real serious issues. A couple of graphical issues, but lowered the graphics and the game looks great. No lag time, no freezing, simply Sim Heaven.
  • Options
    CRiSBY1788CRiSBY1788 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I haven't been able to play for more than 10 minutes. It easily makes it past the 3 minutes worth of loading the game and i actually start to play it goes crazy. I have tried several times to create a sim, and every time it works for about 2 minutes and it starts to lag. Not soon after that all objects including my Sim, Icons, Words on options menu, everything. Gets distorted and turns in to weird colored triangles and such. I have a 24" iMac(previous model that's all white) with 2GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT 128MB...Everything is up to date. Sound works perfectly fine. I have to use cheat menu and type "quit" to get out of game because i can't read any of the options..
  • Options
    XerxeXerxe Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009
    24" imac with 2.8 GHz and 2 GB memory. I think the game's going fairly kick-*** so far! I <3 my mac! :D Even more so when I read about all the trouble the pc'ers are having :shock:
  • Options
    DJFriarDJFriar Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Mine runs swimmingly as well. 2.93GHz iMac, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 640GB HDD, 512MB GT 130 Video Card. I don't even shut off Time Machine and it runs fine for hours. All options are cranked to the max.
  • Options
    GrandmaJoyceGrandmaJoyce Posts: 74 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am running Sims 3 on my new mini Mac and it's playing just fine. Wish it would load up and shut down a little quicker though. Originally had problems with the game shutting down unexpectantly, but clicking the Time Machine to off solved that! Otherwise, I am a happy Simmer.
  • Options
    LashramLashram Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I just purchased The Sims 3 for my MacBook on Sunday afternoon and it is running great on my system. I have all the settings to the max and Im running it at the native resolution of my Macbook 1280x800 16:10. My Macbook is the 13.3" Aluminum MacBook. :)
  • Options
    WooZee990WooZee990 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Minor lagging issues, other than that it works fine.
  • Options
    BryanBensingBryanBensing Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Mine's GREAT! Not a single hipcup..
  • Options
    brittneyrgoodwinbrittneyrgoodwin Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    compared to how my sims 2 game played on my Dell computer with Windows Vista, Sims 3 on my mac loads fast and it barely freezes. I love it!
  • Options
    CupcakeeCupcakee Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Terribly :(
    I was so excited when I bought it today and I haven't even gotten past the installer button.
    I click on it and it starts to open then just stops. I've searched and searched on the internet for reasons this might be not working and nothing seems to work.
    I know that the sims 3 works on my macbook because I've read things people that have the same one as me have said about how amazing the game is. I'm gutted!
  • Options
    dancexlovedancexlove Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2009
    My game has been lagging a little bit. Especially when I go from build/buy mode to live mode. Last night I had to run task manager to end the process because it had completely froze. I'm thinking of stopping some processes before I play it so hopefully that will work. I got it on June 2
  • Options
    BlondyBlondy Posts: 209 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Runs like a dream on my iMac. No loading / crashing problems, no lag. Awesome.
  • Options
    NikkiB89NikkiB89 Posts: 112 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Mine works ok. I am also running it on 1gb RAM white macbook almost a year old. Its a little laggy and graphics could be better but its playable for now. QUESTION. Do you think if I increase the RAM it will run faster and I can put the graphic up to atleast medium?
  • Options
    iJaiiJai Posts: 411 Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm running my game on a 13" 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo "unibody" Macbook and I'm happy with its performance. I have all the settings turned all the way up and I have no complaints. Admittedly, I have nothing really to compare my game's performance to as my other computer is a 6yr old Windows XP era pc.
  • Options
    elpiselpis Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Mine's going fine! Got the game yesterday and was very nervous after reading the forums. But it installed without any problems, so did the patch, and everything seems to be working. My iMac meets the requirements - just - it's 2.16Ghz Intel dual processor, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 and I just upgraded to Leopard (only to be able to play the Sims so it would have been a huge blow if it hadn't worked).

I haven't spent all that much time playing yet but the graphics look OK with medium specs. I see what people mean about the speed 4 time being slow but don't mind it myself, gives me a chance to stretch my legs or make a cup of tea while they sleep.

What I do miss is the ability to hide Sims screen and go back to other windows with Apple + H. Now if I want to check my email I have to quit the game.

(For how good the game is, too early to say, I still need to try things out. Ability to choose lifespan is great, interactions are a big improvement on Sims 2 and I love the moodlets. I found the house building tool a bit clumsy compared to Sims 2 but perhaps still have to get used to it.)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    iJai wrote:
    I'm running my game on a 13" 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo "unibody" Macbook and I'm happy with its performance. I have all the settings turned all the way up and I have no complaints. Admittedly, I have nothing really to compare my game's performance to as my other computer is a 6yr old Windows XP era pc.

Pretty much the same for me... though I haven't upped the settings and my XP era PC is more like... 10+ years old. 1.8ghz Single core, 1gig ram, AGPx8. It was built around the time that SATA was just new and the drives were hence expensive. In short - not a hope of it running on my PC, and having no real comparison.
  • Options
    Santwon1PSantwon1P Posts: 53 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Good thread! It's not going too badly for me...but then again I took my computer down to the Genius Bar to see if it would meet the specs first (it didn't, so I bought the new metal cased/Unibody Macbook -- with 4g of RAM). The only issue I've noticed is that if I have the game paused and go back to my desktop to surf the web or something, that my computer runs a bit slowly. The game part works fine though. Sometimes I have a bit of lag between actions, but I've noticed that the time (in-game time) has stopped. Once it picks back up I haven't missed anything.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Santwon1P wrote:
    Good thread! It's not going too badly for me...but then again I took my computer down to the Genius Bar to see if it would meet the specs first (it didn't, so I bought the new metal cased/Unibody Macbook -- with 4g of RAM). The only issue I've noticed is that if I have the game paused and go back to my desktop to surf the web or something, that my computer runs a bit slowly. The game part works fine though. Sometimes I have a bit of lag between actions, but I've noticed that the time (in-game time) has stopped. Once it picks back up I haven't missed anything.

When I'm Playing TS3 it's the only thing I have running and i don't switch back to desktop at all. I do have slight pauses on occasion but they aren't enough to bother me. Of course, as my old PC can still do tasks like web surf and IM (and everything's networked) I can sit there with both machines on. Play TS3 or Spore on the MB (as spore doesn't run well on the PC and TS3 just won't) and Surf/IM/etc on the PC.
  • Options
    TwilightWaterlilyTwilightWaterlily Posts: 182 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I just got my game yesterday. After reading everyone's complaints, I was really afraid something was going to go horribly wrong, but it's been running great on my aluminum Macbook so far. The town looks gorgeous and I'm glad I bought the game, even though I'm having a bit of trouble getting used to the new interface.
    My only complaints are that I can't upload anything to the exchange, and it forever to download anything. Plus, I HATE how we can't place new lots down anywhere we want anymore. It's so limiting!
  • Options
    pshsarahpshsarah Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    TS3 runs surprisingly better than I thought it would. I have the 13 inch unibody Macbook (2ghz) and it's not too bad. Better than it would be on my PC anyways.

Well, up until my CD/DVD drive failed, but that's not really TS3's fault :P
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That would be due to the town being seamless. It's a completely different animal to a town in TS2 which was just a collection of separate lots

They might well need a whole entire pack in order to give you town modding capability.