Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If There IS No Story Progression, Then Why …

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member

You, and others, keep confusing random interactions with story progression.

Random interactions should not lead to "romantic interests".

Except perhaps for Sims with Romantic trait and/or Serial Romantic aspiration? Or Sims for whom we've built a history of having lots of romantic interests?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Wizaerd69Wizaerd69 Posts: 23 New Member
    While I can see that some don't much care for this mechanic, I like it. It makes the world feel more dynamic when other Sims I've created do their own thing. I do think to improve upon it, It'd be more useful and enjoyable if you could set parameters for what actions Sims can and can't take when not being actively played.
  • Options
    ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited October 2014
    Kamb64 wrote: »
    I think it's completely screwed up . I have more than once found out that some of my gay male sims had flirtations while I was playing someone else. And what is crazy is that every gay male sim had them with a female. What happened to the simmer creating the sims s.exual preference? I had done that but nope, standard crap, my sims are men so when I'm not watching, they flirt with women. It's bad enough they are flirting with someone other than their spouse but if they have to flirt let it make sense with their preference.

While the topic has been brought up: from what I've seen from the game's code, it actually wouldn't surprise me if story progression was coded to only create straight couples. There are some text strings (for stuff like notifications and career/school chance cards), usually involving flirting, that are set to always use gendered terms for the opposite gender. Since I've seen that, it doesn't sound shocking that a similar system is applied to story progression. I thought The Sims 4 might even be the game where they include a premade gay couple in the base game, but instead it looks like they've taken steps backwards.
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    Kamb64 wrote: »
    I think it's completely screwed up . I have more than once found out that some of my gay male sims had flirtations while I was playing someone else. And what is crazy is that every gay male sim had them with a female. What happened to the simmer creating the sims s.exual preference? I had done that but nope, standard crap, my sims are men so when I'm not watching, they flirt with women. It's bad enough they are flirting with someone other than their spouse but if they have to flirt let it make sense with their preference.

You're working under the illusion that there's such a thing as a gay sim. There's not. Sims have never had a sexual preference.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,623 Member
    Also, there are a number of Sims that have pre-set relationships. But that isn't story progression either, it's just a "setup", like the Pleasants in Sims 2.

That's all well and good, if I were speaking of pre-mades. I'm not, as I don't tend to play them. I'm talking about families I created myself in CAS and placed into the neighborhood. No hint of setup on my part, although I do have intentions for them a bit later on in the rotation. Probably doesn't truly matter anymore, since we don't really have any family ties outside of any chosen household. :( But, oh well …

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I have my game options set so that only the active household ages, so it's the same as Sims 2. I keep hoping that some enterprising modder will create a Story Progression mod if EA doesn't create one first. But in the meantime, I'm playing the households in a rotation.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options

You, and others, keep confusing random interactions with story progression.

Random interactions should not lead to "romantic interests".

Except perhaps for Sims with Romantic trait and/or Serial Romantic aspiration? Or Sims for whom we've built a history of having lots of romantic interests?

I'm merely saying that they shouldn't be able to do this when left to their own devices. That should be something best left for the player to work at/decide. I'm in no way wanting to curb the Romantic trait or the Serial Romantic aspiration. Just so you know, NONE of my Sims have either of those. In fact, the wife in question, has the Family-Oriented trait. :open_mouth: How is that family-oriented, when she's looking outside of her marriage for romance? I'm completely scandalized.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    Never liked Story Progression anyway;

It's The Sims, I am their God. I should be able to control every little thing that happens to 'em!
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    Wizaerd69 wrote: »
    While I can see that some don't much care for this mechanic, I like it. It makes the world feel more dynamic when other Sims I've created do their own thing. I do think to improve upon it, It'd be more useful and enjoyable if you could set parameters for what actions Sims can and can't take when not being actively played.

If this was just happening out in the neighborhood, I wouldn't mind it so much. I used NRaas' Story Progression and it was entertaining to see what sort of junk was going on out in the world. But, in this case, it is picking on my very own CREATED families. That is NOT okay. If I choose to spice up a household in this manner, then it's MY choice. I don't normally play that way and for as many years as I've played Sims, I can count on one hand how many divorces I've had in game. That's just the way I roll. My singer, reluctantly, divorced his wife because she kept willfully placing their newborn out in the yard, at night, in the pouring rain. We're talking child abuse, here. She did this three separate times!

• Options
    keobookskeobooks Posts: 103 Member
    I doubt there is any "real" story progression. Those added romances and friendships come from the sims interacting on public lots when your played sims go out, most likely. There is a mod on mts that disallows autonomous flirty greetings and that might cure the problem.

I think if there was a real live story progression, someone would have discovered it by now. Nobody has reported finding anything like that. It's too bad, as I'd love my nonplayables to make a life for themselves. I also believe that no one could create a story progression from scratch. The would need one to tweak and improve.
  • Options
    Fordee09 wrote: »

It's The Sims, I am their God. I should be able to control every little thing that happens to 'em!
    I hear you. That's why we play this game, right? ;)

Many thanks to all of you who have responded and to those who mentioned there was something under options to help with this problem, too. I shall be certain to look that up immediately when I power up my game today. Here's to hoping it prevents any further illicit relationships in the future!

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited October 2014
    Fordee09 wrote: »

I hear you. That's why we play this game, right? ;)

Many thanks to all of you who have responded and to those who mentioned there was something under options to help with this problem, too. I shall be certain to look that up immediately when I power up my game today. Here's to hoping it prevents any further illicit relationships in the future!

I don't think anything in Game Options prevents Sims from changing relationship bar levels when you're playing a different household. Game Options only prevent aging up.

And much of the issue of is there or isn't there SP comes down to defining what counts as Story Progression. Is it still SP if there's skilling up but not career-levelling up? Is it still SP if a relationship bar changes but the definition of a relationship level (e.g., married, boyfriend, BFF) doesn't?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Wizaerd69Wizaerd69 Posts: 23 New Member
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > Fordee09 wrote: »
    >
    > Never liked Story Progression anyway;
    >
    > It's The Sims, I am their God. I should be able to control every little thing that happens to 'em!
    >
    >
    >
    > I hear you. That's why we play this game, right? ;)
    >

I play it for the Simulation aspect, not necessarily controlling everything, but letting some things progress on their own, as a simulation. I like creating Sims of different behaviors and attitudes, then let 'em loose and see how they evolve as I control the specific Sim I want to play.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited October 2014
    Anyone else discover other 'evidence' of the story progression that isn't? Please share you tales of woe.

If you aren't opposed to mods, then get the one at MTS by egureh called "No Auto Rude Flirty Enchanting Greetings".

I use it in my game to prevent both my active Sims and my ones that I placed in houses from forming relationships I don't want them having. The relationships happen when the game decides to use them as filler for whatever lot your active Sim visits. You can watch the relationships being formed by the + and - signs over the inactive Sims heads.

The first week I played the game, I was so excited about rotational game play. I had never done it before and was looking forward to giving it a try. I made a household of a brother and sister, he met one of my Sims that I had placed in a house. They got married and I didn't have the heart to kick the sister out. However, I got a little overwhelmed playing the 3 adults and the children. So, I switched to another household. Played them for awhile and started noticing that my original household was showing up everywhere. I got a little annoyed because the wife is a loner and the game kept putting her in the park, the bar, the gym.

I went to check on her and found out that she had a couple of romantic relationships outside her marriage in her panel, he did as well. The sweet sister had a whole slew of enemies.

It ticked me off so much that a game that is supposed to not have any SP would do this to my couple. What is with the developers of this game and their constant need to force our Sims to cheat? This was a big problem with Sims 3 as well. I actually was so mad that I considered not playing the game anymore.

Then I calmed down and just decided to not do rotational again till somebody (a modder) came to the rescue.

The mod is great because now I can leave my household behind and not worry about them being messed up by the half-baked and broken SP.

ETA: These were not some random and mild interactions. The sister (I remember distinctly because it surprised me so much) had full blown enemies in her panel.
  • Options
    claritysfclaritysf Posts: 384 Member
    Yes, there is definitely some kind of story progression. At least in regards to relationships between Sims when you leave the house. I have a lot of different households that I rotate between.

I had a very happily married couple. When I switched to another household and went to the bar, I saw the wife of the happily married couple kissing her friend in public! I switched back to that household and saw that they now had a romantic relationship. It led to a divorce.
    I wrote about that here:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/785740/this-is-what-happens-when-your-sim-is-caught-cheating-pics

Now that couple is back together and living happily ever after. That was a definite bump in the road. I wasn't really bothered by it because it led to a lot of interesting game play. The divorce was dramatic but the reconciliation was really sweet. :)

Although I can see how many people would be upset by the cheating. I noticed that a lot of my sims have additional friends or kind of mild romantic interests with other Sims when I switch around from one household to the next. That was the only situation where it was really a big issue.

I did have a situation where it was actually a POSITIVE that there was some story progression. My sim just couldn't get the amount of friends necessary to advance in her mixology career. It was so frustrating. I took a break from trying and switched to another household. When I returned, she had more than enough friends. Next day she went to work, she got a promotion. Cool. No complaints from me on that end. :)
    tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Story progression, hard, complicated, expensive.

No story progression, easy, simple, cheap, and you'll buy it anyway.
  • Options
    Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member
    simplyzoe wrote: »

You're working under the illusion that there's such a thing as a gay sim. There's not. Sims have never had a sexual preference.

I think they did at one point.
    Possibly after the Sims2 Dating EP?

But yeah, most Sims don't care.
  • Options
    I was going to say the same thing Kuypers125. YOURS (the players, not yours personaly) did. But the NPC townie sims had no preformed gender orientation. If you were in love with Goopy, he never turned you down because he was gay (or straight) -- Goopy and all of the townies would be open to just about anything you offered them.

You could make your own sim gay, straight or bi by some command... check out .. or something. If you did it to mostly females, when you scoped the room, females would sparkle if compatible -- same for males. But the NPCs were horndogs willing to woohoo anyone, anywhere any time.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    keobooks wrote: »
    I was going to say the same thing Kuypers125. YOURS (the players, not yours personaly) did. But the NPC townie sims had no preformed gender orientation. If you were in love with Goopy, he never turned you down because he was gay (or straight) -- Goopy and all of the townies would be open to just about anything you offered them.

You could make your own sim gay, straight or bi by some command... check out .. or something. If you did it to mostly females, when you scoped the room, females would sparkle if compatible -- same for males. But the NPCs were horndogs willing to woohoo anyone, anywhere any time.

Indeed. All the NPC Sims are... "Player-sexual", as the term tend to be in RPGs.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    We've been told repeatedly that there IS no story progression in this game. That the entire neighborhood will age and time will go by even when off the home lot, but as far as Sims building relationships with each other and otherwise, this is up to us as players. Sounds perfectly fine to me. However, I just started a game save where I've placed six of my own created families so that I might play in the rotational fashion. That way I am more or less in control of what goes on. So, if there IS no story progression, why did I find that the couple in my last household in the rotation both had "romantic" interests under their relationship panels? :open_mouth: They are married, happily, with twin sons. I got busy and destroyed the relationship between hubby and his little tart, he made nice with his wifey and they got their third baby on the way. Then when I was having a look-see at her relationship panel (I was going to make sure she chatted with a friend in another of my households, since he needs friends for his aspiration) only to discover, that she, too, had another love interest. :open_mouth: What the heck is going on here? Mind you, I was only on a three day per household rotation, too. A lot sure can happen in fifteen days. Oi! Wifey gave birth to the desired daughter and now I have to go in and destroy yet another relationship. Why, EA, why?

Anyone else discover other 'evidence' of the story progression that isn't? Please share you tales of woe.

I'm having a bit of this in my game as well, but not to the same degree. Can I ask, are you playing with aging on or off?
  • Options
    MythicMissMythicMiss Posts: 44 Member
    > @Kuypers125 said:
    > simplyzoe wrote: »
    >
    >
    > You're working under the illusion that there's such a thing as a gay sim. There's not. Sims have never had a sexual preference.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think they did at one point.
    > Possibly after the Sims2 Dating EP?
    >
    > But yeah, most Sims don't care.

"I'LL PLUM ANYTHIN' THAT MOVES."
  • Options
    PaperPandaPicnicPaperPandaPicnic Posts: 131 Member
    Kuypers125 wrote: »
    It was scaled back by a lot.
    But Story Progression was never cut.
    It was the Simmers (not EA) that declared it a cut.

Really? I am pretty sure I remember this being announced/discussed before the game came out. It was a concern I had about buying the game (which I did the day it came out).
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I'm obviously not playing enough sims to have noticed, but I will take notice from now on.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I think the main reason NPC sims don't autonomously flirt and hit on each other-- and never have --is that it would upset players to see NPCs flirting and fawning over the "wrong" gender or even just the wrong sim. "I didn't want Goopy to get it on with Benjamin Long! Abjiheet was his soulmate!"

And Sandy Bruty.. nobody wants to see that beast hit on ANYONE.
  • Options
    galaxyflier1galaxyflier1 Posts: 383 Member
    yeah I hate that too. I've gone back to families where the whole dynamic has changed due to new relationships and of course they are wearing dressy clothes. What's with that anyway? It's stupid to wear party clothes or formals to do gardening work. Good grief.