Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spencer-Kim-Lewis Family name too long

I attempted to rework the Spencer-Kim-Lewis family in CAS and found I could not resave them due to their last name having error "last name too long". I removed them from my game due to this error. I'm wondering if this was causing my game to crash since this was a premade family. No crashes since.
RavensHrt Gallery Link

My Sims 4 Games Owned
ravenshrt_gamepack_zpscyv4apsz.png

Comments

• Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited October 2014
    OMG I do have that family in my game somewhere, I saw them.
    A couple with a child IIRC or something.

Going to delete them right away. Let's hope that's the culprit I'm my case with "crashing on save" bug.
    Will return in a few minutes.
  • Options
    RavensHrtRavensHrt Posts: 155 Member
    edited October 2014
    Good luck @JoxerTM22 There are lots of little things I'm noticing. So just to be on the safe side, I'm removing anything that is suspicious since I seem to be 'fixing' the game more than I'm actually playing it. Its frustrating as can be.

and... try using "save as" and give the save a name you choose... when you save instead of autosave. That helped me a lot too.

I also read on another forum THIS POST that there are some 'random' townies that cause the game to crash. I went through my entire 'unplayed' townies and deleted a bunch of them. The townies 'section' regenerates more townies so I didn't worry about not having world population. According to the post I read, some townies are 'corrupt'. I'll go see if I can find the link for that post. BRB
    RavensHrt Gallery Link

My Sims 4 Games Owned
  • Options
    No, it didn't help in my case. :(
    But nice catch on a new bug anyway, I wonder how many there are we're still not aware of...

And sadly I'm also fighting bugs in my game for more than a week now instead of playing it. It's not fun!
  • Options
    I truly feel for you @JoxerTM22 its very frustrating searching for solutions. Check out This blog and some of the other info there.
    RavensHrt Gallery Link

My Sims 4 Games Owned
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    The problem is the child's name. Remove one of her surnames and it saves.
  • Options
    I just deleted them all together and placed a new family on the lot. It wasn't worth keeping a family with anyone having a corrupt name in my game especially since they are premade and come installed on a lot. Anything that causes an error in my game needs to go and will. Do what you like with yours.
    RavensHrt Gallery Link

My Sims 4 Games Owned
  • Options
    SimmindipitySimmindipity Posts: 674 Member
    I had that same issue when editing the child, once removing one of the surnames I was then able to save.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    RavensHrt wrote: »
    I truly feel for you @JoxerTM22 its very frustrating searching for solutions. Check out This blog and some of the other info there.
    But I did delete all sims I've created except two I'm playing with!
    You mean I should delete all "unplayed" Maxis' sims too? I can but...
    The problem is the child's name. Remove one of her surnames and it saves.
    I can't remove names of existing sims so, no. Or their tattoos or etc.
    The bug is in the game itself and has to be fixed by Maxis ASAP.

• Options
    Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    I have the Spencer-Kim-Lewis in my game and even had one family marry Olivia. Did not have an issue with game crashes.
    @JoxerTM22 in order to remove a surname you can turn testingcheats on and then type in cas.fulleditmode to drop her name. The cheat shuts off automatically once you leave CAS
  • Options
    @JoxerTM22 in order to remove a surname you can turn testingcheats on and then type in cas.fulleditmode to drop her name. The cheat shuts off automatically once you leave CAS

rotfl.gif

Someone please tell me he's not making a joke on me deliberately.
  • Options
    @JoxerTM22 I'm not sure why you can't remove tats and change names. There is a cheat code (you may already know this) that allows you to go back into CAS and fully edit. Load the game and click PLAY. At the world screen push CTRL Shift C and open the cheat window. Type cas.fulleditmode and push ENTER. Then CTRL Shift C to close the cheat window. Open "Manage Households", choose the sim you wish to edit and click the EDIT icon which will open CAS in full edit mode. You can now edit all features including names, tats, bodystyle, face, clothing and more.
    RavensHrt Gallery Link

My Sims 4 Games Owned
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    OMG...

Okay, You either didn't catch any of my posts or something else.
    I do not cheat. Not yesterday, not now, not ever. Please do not encourage me to cheat.

But thanks anyway, I know you're trying to help, it's just not the help I need.

I will delete all unplayed households. Completely. Every each one of them. Maybe that solves it. Maybe doesn't. We'll see...
  • Options
    Unfortunately for you @JoxerTM22 I've not been on The Sims Forum for very long lol and yes I was trying to help and didn't realize you do not use cheat codes. For me they truly aren't cheats but rather a resource to find what the heck is wrong with my game and cas.fulleditmode is the only one I use other than motherlode haha. All my sims need to be rich to keep my stress level low when their outrageous bills arrive in the mail.
    RavensHrt Gallery Link

My Sims 4 Games Owned
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Deleted all unplayed sims - no use, still crash on save (if played for more than a minute with ultra settings).
    Restared, deleted all sims in houses - no use.

But then again I didn't use any cloth mod so those sims wouldn't pick possibly corrupted clothes anyway. :(
    There is something else in the game that exceeds my memory when I try to save and seems it's not possibly corrupted sims.

Just to say, when graphics are on low so on the screen I see 320x200 resolution like we're still in 90s, I can play for hours without game crashing on save.
    On the other hand this machine runs every other recent game without a hiccup on everything maxed. Seems that something in the code is filling up too much of RAM over time and breaks the game when I try to save.
    The crash on save issue started to appear about 10 days ago. Which means I've played the game without a glitch on ultra settings for about a month. At first the crash on save would happen if I played for half an hour or more. Then the time interval got shorter and shorter - now it crashes on save after just one minute of playing.
  • Options
    nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    That's too bad. I was hoping when my Child sim marries her someday I could change her name to Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis-Beef.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Don't delete Alice Spencer-Kim... :o

She's one of the best sims ever made in the Sims 4... :(
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    Don't delete Alice Spencer-Kim... :o

She's one of the best sims ever made in the Sims 4... :(

I deleted her family and changed her last name to just Kim.

• Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    > @nateslice said:
    > That's too bad. I was hoping when my Child sim marries her someday I could change her name to Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis-Beef.

Just first encountered this bug TODAY! Check the date (9/5/15!). Ew, ugh.

So yeah this bug is still around after a year and this is sick ... Maxis pushed their little modern, confusing name on us all proud like it's funny and awesome but it doesn't work! And poor Olivia can't keep her family tradition alive, which is actually an insult to feminism and they don't care. Poor her mum.

We need a fix; in allowing for longer names or else it's an insult to some real cultures/beliefs, no lie. Grrr......

BTW, I love your name idea. Mm, Beef, lol. Love it and sad for us all.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I had the same issues. Olivia grew up, so I was giving her a makeover, but I couldn't save, so I deleted the "Lewis" part of her name, until I know how to fix it
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Deleted all unplayed sims - no use, still crash on save (if played for more than a minute with ultra settings).
    Restared, deleted all sims in houses - no use.

But then again I didn't use any cloth mod so those sims wouldn't pick possibly corrupted clothes anyway. :(
    There is something else in the game that exceeds my memory when I try to save and seems it's not possibly corrupted sims.

Just to say, when graphics are on low so on the screen I see 320x200 resolution like we're still in 90s, I can play for hours without game crashing on save.
    On the other hand this machine runs every other recent game without a hiccup on everything maxed. Seems that something in the code is filling up too much of RAM over time and breaks the game when I try to save.
    The crash on save issue started to appear about 10 days ago. Which means I've played the game without a glitch on ultra settings for about a month. At first the crash on save would happen if I played for half an hour or more. Then the time interval got shorter and shorter - now it crashes on save after just one minute of playing.

I was just wondering, is it an old save you are having these issues with? Maybe you could try starting a new one if thats the case just to see if the old save might be an issue. Not saying you should abandon that save though but just to figure out what the problem might be :) I have a long time running achievements save that is getting slower and slower and I do see some small bugs from time to time
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    nasurbdkpeliknasurbdkpelik Posts: 1 New Member
    I attempted to rework the Spencer-Kim-Lewis family in CAS and found I could not resave them due to their last name having error "last name too long". I removed them from my game due to this error. I'm wondering if this was causing my game to crash since this was a premade family. No crashes since.

It's easy guys just put spencer in the firts name... It's like olivia spencer kim-lewis.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Maybe their last name should be changed to simply "Too Long To Love"
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member

I would just make their names all Lewis. I have also deleted them as it was just too much to handle.
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    ...or you could simply insert values of any desired length with a script.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    It's easy guys just put spencer in the firts name... It's like olivia spencer kim-lewis.
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    I would just make their names all Lewis. I have also deleted them as it was just too much to handle.

For those who are interested....
    Long_Name1.jpg
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch