Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good laptop for Sims 4?

ThinkPad E440

Intel® Core™ i7-4712MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
Windows 8.1 64
Windows 8.1 64 - English
14.0" HD Antiglare Display (1366 x 768) Midnight Black
NVIDIA GeForce® GT 840M with Optimus™ technology (2GB)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
Keyboard - US English
Integrated 720p HD webcam
500GB 7200 RPM HDD
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer
6 cell Li-Ion Battery - 75+ (62Wh)
90W AC Adapter
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (2x2, 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n) with Bluetooth 4.0
Language Pack Win8 US English
1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Aussie_Simmer

Comments

• Options
    mw1234mw1234 Posts: 5,400 Member
    Minus the fact that it is a laptop, it seems to exceed the system requirements in every way! The laptop seems to be good. :)
  • Options
    OhhTiffanyOhhTiffany Posts: 55 Member
    I have a 4 year old macbook pro, that I've partioned with 80gb for the windows partion and it works wonderfully, I'm sure if I had a brand new macbook pro it would 10x times better.

These are my specs
    Storage
    All-flash storage

128GB flash storage

Processor and Memory
    Powered by a dual-core Intel Core i5 and DDR3 memory.

Processor
    1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB shared L3 cache

Memory
    4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 onboard memory
    Graphics
    Advanced Intel HD Graphics 3000.

And I'm running Windows 8.1 as well. On the other hand Sims 4 is the only program I have installed right now...
    paperman12.gif
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Laptop?
    No. Buy proper, normal, kick when needed, desktop.
  • Options
    galaxyflier1galaxyflier1 Posts: 383 Member
    I love Alienware, be it laptops or desktops. Right now I have the desktop, but I would love a laptop one of these days.
  • Options
    CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Laptop?

same here. the desktop is far more better than laptop
  • Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    If you got money for a decent laptop you've got enough money for an amazing desktop,

Just saying.
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    klenaklena Posts: 51 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Laptop?

LOL, no kicking the mighty desktop or it might kick back though I agree that desktop is infinitely better for playing games than laptop. Plus it is more cost efficient and easier to upgrade a desktop.

• Options
    Akila906Akila906 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I use both a desktop and laptop to play the game and have no problem on either. In fact, my game is faster on the laptop and I can put the graphics on "ultra". I can only put them on "high" on my desktop.
    michael-jackson-17.gif
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    I remember a couple years ago when NVidia released the titan graphics card that cost more than most people would spend on an entire top of the range otherwise pc. and it wouldn't play sims 3 lol. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing
  • Options
    Akila906Akila906 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I have Nvidia GeForce graphics cards on both my 3 yr old desktop and 1 yr old laptop and it plays TS3 and TS4 perfectly. I will only buy a computer (desktop or laptop) with Nvidia graphics cards.
    michael-jackson-17.gif
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I love Alienware, be it laptops or desktops. Right now I have the desktop, but I would love a laptop one of these days.

Same here. I'm actually in the process of buying one in a few months but I'm not sure wether or not to get the laptop or a desktop.

1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    If you got money for a decent laptop you've got enough money for an amazing desktop,

Just saying.
    Even better desktop actually if you compared price by price.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    > @EAfan99 said:
    > galaxyflier1 wrote: »
    >
    > I love Alienware, be it laptops or desktops. Right now I have the desktop, but I would love a laptop one of these days.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Same here. I'm actually in the process of buying one in a few months but I'm not sure wether or not to get the laptop or a desktop.

Will you actually drag the laptop around to play games, or mostly just be sitting in one place? That's the key, all the penalties (performance issues due to heat + higher pricing for what you get + almost no upgrade options) needs to be worth it.

If you do go for a laptop - shop around and do your research, because other than maybe the hard drive, you will never be upgrading it. (Personal preference - Intel CPU with the highest clock speed you can get + discrete AMD graphics (or nVidia) (just not Intel HD)).

To OP: yes that laptop will do just fine and will probably continue to do so for many years.
    Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.
  • Options
    galaxyflier1galaxyflier1 Posts: 383 Member
    Right now I have the desktop, but their laptops are great too. Mine is three years old, so I've been dropping hints for the future. :)
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    I love Alienware boxes... though I'd never buy one. They're just horrendously overpriced for what's inside of 'em. They look cool, but if you're willing to give up some glowy stuff there are plenty of laptops out there with better performance at lower prices.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    I have to say, when someone says 'laptop'!, I ask 'why'? I suppose if you have to travel a lot, it makes sense. But just for at home? Get a desktop of equal power at half the price, or, you know, twice the desktop at the same price. And enjoy the ease of dropping in upgrades when you need them.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    I need to have a laptop as I don't want a desktop. I would rather have something more accessible. I'm still a student so I need a laptop so I can work on things at school and home.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I need to have a laptop as I don't want a desktop. I would rather have something more accessible. I'm still a student so I need a laptop so I can work on things at school and home.

Are you looking for gaming laptops or just all around laptops?
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    EAfan99 wrote: »

Are you looking for gaming laptops or just all around laptops?

I'd prefer to have an all rounder laptop. I think the specifications of the laptop I'm looking at which I posted originally will be fine for me.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    Love my Alienware
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I'm running mine on two laptops: 1 A windows 8 Asus laptop with 8g. It runs really well on it and I have settings on high.
    My other one is a Windows 7 HP notebook with 6G, this one lags a bit, this one is AMD Radeon graphics and my asus is Intel.
  • Options
    DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member
    I've had my Alienware laptop for over 3 years now and it runs the game perfectly on high settings. I'm also a student (was a freshman when I bought it) so I know why getting a laptop would seem better for you at the moment. The one you have posted is better than mine so if you can afford it I say go ahead and make the purchase.
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
  • Options
    Thanks @Datkid
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Have a laptop with Integrated Intel HD, can play alot of games on Ultra, yes I might be overworking it some. I plan on building my own high-end gaming laptop in 2.5 years woo hoo that will be fun :/ but it'll be worth it in the end cause some games lag on Ultra
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    Southernbelle1283Southernbelle1283 Posts: 398 Member
    I have a Gigabyte laptop with Nvidia graphics that runs TS4 on ultra, uncompressed textures, only cost me $1200
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

Origin ID: simmerdownsouth
    Twitter: @simmerdownsouth
    My Sims 4 Blog/Stories: http://www.simmerdownsouth.com/
    YouTube Channel: SimmerDownSouth