Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

POLL: Do you miss open worlds?

For me personally, I like TS4 for what it is, but with a camera hack I downloaded, I zoomed all the way out and the world was well, tiny. Combine that will a 2D map and loading screens galore, it sort of takes me out of the experience. Do you miss the open worlds, or do you think the new "semi-open" world is a better approach? There are no wrong opinions :)
giphy.gif

Comments

• Options
    xXinflu3nceXxxXinflu3nceXx Posts: 25 New Member
    I personally didn't travel around all that much. I do think the towns need to be bigger/have more houses/more places to go but it is a lot less laggy. Its sort of a win-lose for me. Overall, I think the semi-open towns, (if they produced bigger towns) is better, thought.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes, I miss it a lot. I think I will be able to live with it, especially when more worlds are added, but nothing beats the open world/community for me.

(funny signature haha)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    No I don't.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    KShannonKShannon Posts: 223 Member
    I miss it terribly. I avoid going to public venues now, just isn't worth the bother of a loading screen.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    No I hated the lag crash fest that was Sims 3 open worlds are not worth it the 5 lots and open space are perfect just need more lots and larger lot space in each world because as you said the worlds are to small.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    I don't miss the open worlds, honestly. There's enough open space to wander around in the different districts. The only thing I hate is loading screens between lots in the same district. I would have preferred to have it completely open within those districts.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I miss them when I'm playing S4, but I still spend quite a bit of time in S3 and the worlds are a large part of the reason.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited October 2014
    In some ways yes. I think It's due to the beautiful scenery in TS4...and being unable to go there. The beach is a big one for me. I love the beach and I actually enjoy how they made a beach look in TS4. but then I get really sad that I can't go there. (I live by the shore,so the beaches were one of my favorite things in TS3 or the vacations expansions in TS1/TS2).

Loading screens I'll admit can become a bit annoying over time even though they're fast (well actually everything's kinda fast on my laptop lol). But I think it would be better if they wouldn't come up for EVERY where I go. A simple 'sectional semi-open' world I think would be the best solution (imo). like one part of the neighborhood would be open, but then if you wanna go to venues, you'd get a loading screen because it's in a different 'section' of the town. and that would go for faar away houses in another 'section'. I think I would have liked it that way.

Edit: I still play TS3 and switch around with TS4. never lagg with either (TS2 for that matter). Still one day I'd like to see that pretty beach in the background of TS4 to be an actual place to go too. :'(
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    KShannon wrote: »
    I miss it terribly. I avoid going to public venues now, just isn't worth the bother of a loading screen.

I find I rarely go anywhere either. Doesn't seem to be much point in it.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    sarah012378sarah012378 Posts: 73 Member
    I miss it. My sims travelled a lot. :) But, I am still enjoying Sims 4. :p
  • Options
    MarixsaMarixsa Posts: 187 Member
    KShannon wrote: »

Even though the load screens don't take forever to load, I agree and avoid going as well.
  • Options
    JFKdjJFKdj Posts: 122 Member
    I do. I've gone back to my Sims 2 mentality of never leaving my home lot. At least they give you a bigger area to explore but a loading screen to visit my neighbors house, no thank you.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I do miss the open world quite a bit. I don't miss the lag, but I never had really bad lag with TS3, just niggling little hitches now and then.

I think if they could at least open it up so we could visit the other 5 lots in our little 'neighborhood' without loading it would be a good compromise. Not going to hold my breath though. From everything the Gurus have said so far, it doesn't sound like that's in the stars.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    kerryn96kerryn96 Posts: 205 Member
    While the open world was nice, I don't really miss it in the Sims 4. When I want to play in an open world, I simply load up my Sims 3 game again and play that for a while. I'm all for the semi open nieghbourhoods we have in the Sims 4, I think they are a good idea as it largely improves game performance. If they were just a tad bigger, and each "sub-district" was a little bigger than only 5 lots (7-10 perhaps?) then it would be perfect.
  • Options
    LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
    yes, missing the open world and my grumpy trait
  • Options
    BlindxSecretsBlindxSecrets Posts: 652 Member
    I never traveled much in S3, so I don't miss it at all. It was so laggy and terrible for me, if I went to too many lots I'd crash, too. I also hated how all the bars and really nice lots were in the Downtown Neighborhood so if I wanted my Sims to go there I'd have to move them. I personally prefer S4, I find I travel a LOT more (practically every Sim day now) and I love that we can switch neighborhoods and go anywhere we want.
    The Noble Legacy (A Prettacy)
    Origin ID: BlindxSecrets
  • Options
    Andrew060Andrew060 Posts: 281 Member
    Yes I really miss having an open world.
    Andrew - UK Fan and player of the Sims since the year 2000
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    Open worlds. Yes. The lag. No.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    Eh, I sorta do? But it was pretty bad on my pc.

If I had a better pc my feelings would be different, more slanted towards actually missing it since I could've enjoyed it more.

I don't have many good memories of TS3, aside the constant animation freezing and eternal object/lot loading.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    PlyrKttyKtKrnchPlyrKttyKtKrnch Posts: 61 Member
    Yes I do. The world is so beautiful in TS4 but we can't really explore it! And I find that I always stay at home because the loading screens are too long so I don't bother going to other places so haven't even seen most of what there is.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    God, yes. That's part of the reason why I have a hard time getting into TS4. I loved roaming around the world in TS3. It was such a welcome change after two generations of loading screens in the previous sims games.

I love games that give me a feeling of freedom, and I feel housebound in TS4. I know that I can leave the lot whenever, but between the abundance of loading screens and the fact that there's not much to do on other lots, I just don't bother.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    MissLuizMissLuiz Posts: 10 New Member
    The open world was always a lagfest for me. And crashed too. So I can't say that I am overly bothered by the loading screens. I am frequently frustrated by the small number/size of building lots. So many ideas, so few places to build!
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    For me personally, I like TS4 for what it is, but with a camera hack I downloaded, I zoomed all the way out and the world was well, tiny. Combine that will a 2D map and loading screens galore, it sort of takes me out of the experience. Do you miss the open worlds, or do you think the new "semi-open" world is a better approach? There are no wrong opinions :)

Answer: No

I don't know if it's a better option. I just didn't like the way the open world in S3 was implemented.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Wuchter1227Wuchter1227 Posts: 64 Member
    I don't miss it, but I'm not going to say that the way the sims 4 went about the neighborhood was the best option. For me, when I played the sims 3 I kind of liked the open world since there was never a stoppage in gameplay. However, things felt empty at least for my experience anyway. I go to the park and hopefully 5-7 sims show up. Usually I wouldn't even get to 5. Now I go to the park and new sims are coming and going all the time and it makes going to the park / gym / wherever a little more interesting. If the sims 4 would allow me to walk across the road to my neighbor's house without a loading screen, then I would say they got it right. At the end of the day though, my game is way less buggy and glitchy, not to mention way smoother, so I've learned to embrace what we were given. The loading screens don't bother me at all to be honest and that was one of things that I was worried about the most.
  • Options
    ArkaneArkane Posts: 20,224 Member
    edited October 2014
    Yes and no. I do miss the ability to explore an open city in the game and loved being able to walk to places (festivals other Sims houses bars and clubs) without interruption. I also liked when choosing to jog you could go a long ways away or set the length/place where you wanted your Sim to jog.

As for no it's one of those things where I learned to adapt to the way the game is now (or was like in TS2) and once I got used to it again it wasn't an issue. As Moriarty would say "I'm so changeable".
    Potential Is Everything

Origin ID: BadArkane

XYeo1vn.png