Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If not legacy, what is your play style?

I've probably got the wrong impression but it seems to me that a lot of Simmers (perhaps the majority?) enjoy the legacy challenge. Since the game is a life simulation one, I guess it's only "natural" to play through generations upon generations of different families. But, if you're not a legacy player, then how do you play? Or maybe there are Simmers who don't actually play the game but spend almost all of their time creating custom content or building houses because that's how they enjoy it?

Has TS4 actually changed the way you play (compared to TS2 or TS3)?

My own playing style hasn't changed. I'm not a legacy player as I don't like playing through different generations. I have a population of young adult and adult Sims and I simply enjoy having them interact. I used to spend a vast amount of time creating custom content and making machinima with TS2 but, with TS4, I only play a few hours a week. I have other games I'm enjoying a lot more, so I spend more time on them. ;)

Comments

• Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I refuse to use the term legacy in relation to sims, as everyone associates that with a play style that works against the game design instead of with.
    I love generational play don't get me wrong, and I have nothing against challenges, but I don't need to make my sims super extra poor just because someone else thinks its a fun idea.
  • Options
    AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    I recreate characters from my favorite TV shows and have them meet with one another at some point. The results are very interesting!
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • Options
    Gawdfather1Gawdfather1 Posts: 601 Member
    I mostly grind content, see what's there, what it does, how it changes gameplay.

After that, things get funky and usually dark.
    Banners.jpg
  • Options
    rayof2krayof2k Posts: 38 Member
    I turn aging off and add people and characters I know. Then they all end up woohooing and hating each other.
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    I have a legacy family I'm currently working on. When I need a break from them, I like to play with my "Eight Friends" family. I created eight random adults with random traits, moved them into a house, and I control only one of them, leaving the others to their own. A fun and interesting way to play, especially with the new behaviors and personalities.
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • Options
    MightySparksMightySparks Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2014
    When I used to play Sims 1, I always used cheats and I'm not exactly sure what I did that made it so addictive to me. When Sims 2 came along, I followed my cheating style and got bored really quickly. When the legacy challenge came along, I started playing like that and never stopped. I don't always follow the strict legacy rules, but my favourite aspect of the game is watching the genetics pass along, raising Sims from birth to death (seeing how they age, how their personality and careers and such affect them as Sims) and I also really love the beginning of 'legacy style' because I love building up from very little. There's something much more satisfying about starting with nothing and slowly building up to being able to afford stuff.

I'm not particularly interested in creating houses and stuff (because I suck at it :P ) and although I'm a completionist in every other game, I'm not bothered by that aspect of Sims either. I know the thread was about 'non-legacy style', but I felt like putting in my 2 cents anyway, haha.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Never done a legacy or generational game. I usually play focus on one sim from childhood partway through adulthood, frequently getting them to the top of their career and some maxed out skills; sometimes hooking them up with someone. Almost always have some sort of storyline in place.

TS4 has changed my play style a little. I'm actually playing 6 different households right now, slowly working on having several of them meet, a couple of them get married, etc. Still playing the storylines but this is the first time I've played rotations for my Sims.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    marioXtremomarioXtremo Posts: 1,773 Member
    I actually almost NEVER played legacy! I don't like my Sims getting old... LOL! xD

I do make some of them have children, make them grow up to child and play with them like that for a few days, then make them teens and keep them like that, with their parents being always Young Adults...

The very few times I've played legacy I don't play it for too long...

I will start doing it in TS4, tho... It really makes the game more fun (but then again, my main Sims getting old and dying is just awful!).

I guess I just enjoy doing a lot of stuff with my eternal Sims...
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited September 2014
    Never played legacy. I do a bit of storytelling and keep people updated on what's going on in my game. I wanna say it's generational but not the average generational? I don't really know, I just play the game at a relatively slow pace, I like it this way.

I don't mind legacy play but it's just not my cup of tea, that being said I do follow some legacies because I find them interesting.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    elinorablyelinorably Posts: 301 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I refuse to use the term legacy in relation to sims, as everyone associates that with a play style that works against the game design instead of with.
    I love generational play don't get me wrong, and I have nothing against challenges, but I don't need to make my sims super extra poor just because someone else thinks its a fun idea.

I totally get that. When I use the term "legacy" I use it loosely. Very loosely. As in to reference that I'm playing one family throughout several generations - but not necessarily the challenge itself. I don't start them off super poor. I don't score anything or randomize traits and aspirations. I use the normal starting funds and go from there, and I always start a family off with a particular story in mind. I used to do proper legacies during TS2. By the time I reached TS3, it was more or less an impetus for me to stick with one family, but I would always give them some quality unique to whatever story I created for them. My Rachmaninoff family always had to have one kid max out musical skills, and they were always named after other composers. (Ah, Wagner Rachmaninoff was one heck of a wacky sim. Good times.)

I guess in that sense legacy to me came to represent my sims family own personal legacy, e.g. what they leave to their world at large. Right now, I've got five generations of geeks, and I love the magnificent little bastids.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited September 2014
    I pretty much never deviate from the following, even in Sims 3. I've tried doing things different but evidently I'm a creature of habit and always seem to revert to this.

Build a house, get inspired thinking about the sort of Sim that would live in it.

Pick a career, make a single Sim, stick them in this super nice house but change everything in it the cheapest possible item. The house usually requires a money cheat though because the structure alone is well over their starting amount.

Plant a tree so they can be crazy Sims and talk to it rather than have to interact with the stalker townie Sims when they need to socialize. (This is different than Sims 3, in that game I would just have them chat with someone on the computer to fill the social need).

Work on getting all skills to at least level 3 before starting a career, sell everything they make and find.

Get a career, work towards getting to the top.

Spend every penny they make by replacing all the cheap items with top of the line item, decorate the house, upgrade everything.

Move in a future spouse, have them become best friends.

Work on the new spouses skills and career while the old Sim quits their job and putters around the house and takes care of the children.

Spouse reaches top of career, children become teens, get bored with their story.

Abandon them and start over (exact same process) with a new house and Sim.

Edit: The whole process usually takes 8-10 Sim weeks and about a week in real life.
  • Options
    OctaringrOctaringr Posts: 100 Member
    Create a couple of sims initially to check out how the game is working, and then most probably either completionist or completionist with just a couple of sims only. I don't like legacy to be honest. But I used to play the Goths on sims2 :P At the moment I'm trying to get all the collections completed.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited September 2014
    I used to play legacy, but since I am easily attached to my sims, I give up on that. I can't stand seeing my sims die, but I also can't let them live forever, because after 3 generations, I have to move some of them out. However I am also a control freak. I need to be in control of my sims life in parallel (I don't like rotational game play, It bores me to repeat the same thing over and over again), so you see my problem there.

I don't use TV shows as the story line in my sims. I usually create my own story based on other games that I played or anime that I watched.

Normally I start a new game on the 4th generation using different story. So if I am playing using "one piece" characters, after 3rd generation, I will create a new save and start a different story using "Dragon Age" characters. In the end of 3rd generation, I will stop playing it and move to a new save file based on "Mass Effect" characters, for example :D.

Sometimes I play the premade sims.
  • Options
    Krisha880Krisha880 Posts: 1,553 Member
    I play with aging off (but like to see my sims age) and rotate between families. I try to play all the households in a neighbourhood or world. This takes time, and I'm still on generation one/two in TS3. I play this way in TS4 as well.
  • Options
    Susiechan wrote: »
    I used to play legacy, but since I am easily attached to my sims, I give up on that. I can't stand seeing my sims die, but I also can't let them live forever, because after 3 generations, I have to move some of them out. However I am also a control freak. I need to be in control of my sims life in parallel (I don't like rotational game play, It bores me to repeat the same thing over and over again), so you see my problem there.

I don't use TV shows as the story line in my sims. I usually create my own story based on other games that I played or anime that I watched.

Normally I start a new game on the 4th generation using different story. So if I am playing using "one piece" characters, after 3rd generation, I will create a new save and start a different story using "Dragon Age" characters. In the end of 3rd generation, I will stop playing it and move to a new save file based on "Mass Effect" characters, for example :D.

Sometimes I play the premade sims.

Anime = tv show, except in the rare occasion it = movie.

Speaking of ME is there any way we can convert the alien space suit from 3 to 4? Or the astronomer/explorer costume?
  • Options
    littlei125littlei125 Posts: 14 New Member
    Generally speaking, I make a house of 4-7 young adults. Then, I have them all complete their aspirations and move out, until I'm left with one sim, and I play legacy-style-ish from there. Not by legacy rules, more... generational. Also, I have a tendency to play with aging on and off when its convenient- my sims sin.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member

Speaking of ME is there any way we can convert the alien space suit from 3 to 4? Or the astronomer/explorer costume?

Hahahahaha, I have never thought anime as TV shows. My mind keep telling me that TV shows involve real human.

From ME3 to ME4 ? I don't think we have ME4 yet :)
  • Options
    Susiechan wrote: »

Hahahahaha, I have never thought anime as TV shows. My mind keep telling me that TV shows involve real human.

From ME3 to ME4 ? I don't think we have ME4 yet :)

lol, no, from sims 3, to 4, the alien suit from seasons, other space suit (shiny!) from into the future. I mean if we own both games it should be legal at least right?
  • Options
    DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member
    nualla8673 wrote: »
    I have a legacy family I'm currently working on. When I need a break from them, I like to play with my "Eight Friends" family. I created eight random adults with random traits, moved them into a house, and I control only one of them, leaving the others to their own. A fun and interesting way to play, especially with the new behaviors and personalities.

Reminds me of the Asylum Challenge but with more freedom lol
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I play Dynasties (generational gameplay involving multiple powerful elite families) in a Rotational style with Aging Off. I will age characters up when the time is right, as per the story of the entire network of Dynasties. I also have special laws for marriage, divorce, child custody and financial estates. B)
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    elinorablyelinorably Posts: 301 Member
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    I play Dynasties (generational gameplay involving multiple powerful elite families) in a Rotational style with Aging Off. I will age characters up when the time is right, as per the story of the entire network of Dynasties. I also have special laws for marriage, divorce, child custody and financial estates. B)

Like Dynasty dynasties? Fantabulous!!

dynasty-cast1.jpg

• Options
    keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member
    Sims 4 is the first time in my own Sim history that I have done a legacy style of game play. It is also the first time that I haven't felt inclined to cheat, I am actually enjoying the gameplay sans cheats.

But since you asked the question on gmae play other than legacy, I also have another saved file of Mirco-Managed Sims, I currently have three families in Willow Creek and once they are set up I'll and two or three to Oasis Springs :) I play each family a Sim Week at a time.
  • Options
    DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
    I play legacy. However instead of playing with two to four sims at a time, I'm playing with 8! It's a lot of dang work, but at least I'm not fully populating the entire world with my Sim family.
    tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

• Options
    NeroTrippeNeroTrippe Posts: 66 Member
    Make one sim and accomplish everything with it, add some background to it too (like family trees).. like with me my empress from TSM is an ancestor of the sim (and his sister) im currently playing in TS4 whom are i actually started playing with in TS3. mainly cuz i get weirdly attached to my sims and let the imagination flow.. like my sim and his sister share ties with the goths & the landgraabs yet despise the landgraabs and the crumplebottoms (as a crumplebottom turned my sim in TS3) and so on.. >:P
  • Options
    purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    I guess my style of play is generational. I start with two sims, have them as friends then move them into a house and watch their romance blossom. I also work on their careers and their romance then have them get married. When they get to about level 5 or 6 in their careers I then make them have children. On the TS4 I have been working a lot on my children, gaining skills and completing aspirations and working on school. Now that both my children are teens I am having my sim adults work on their careers again so they reach the top of their careers. I can't complete my successful lineage aspiration until one of my children reaches the top of their career so that is on hold at present. One of my teen sims has a gf and when they are both adults I intend to move her into the family home and then repeat the above with them. My other teen sim I want to work on her reaching the top of her career until she has children, and I don't intend for her to have children until she is at least an adult rather than YA. Then I will switch between the children and have them raise their families and intend to play that way until I have several generations. I love playing that way, I always enjoy seeing what future generations look and turn out like. But I also enjoy working on aspirations and careers as well as I believe they are important too.