Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl's Sims 4 Site Thread

Comments

• Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited September 2014
    I try to take dedicated days away from the PC here and there so I can avoid burnout and connect with friends, so here are some delayed responses:

@blunote00 (about fertilizer decaying faster with long-term gardening) - No, I haven't actually noticed this. I have a long-term garden I've kept for many Sim weeks as I work on other Guides, just to see if there's anything I'm missing about gardening. I haven't seen good reason to fertilize once plants are perfect, although it could help them get to maximum value faster. I haven't done any timed tests yet, though I plan to. Someone told me they let 6 Sim days pass between harvesting and they end up with the 10x value plants reliably, so I need to test just how long it takes for that to happen and if fertilizer affects it.

Time for me to work on Secret Agent and the Culinary Career, which will leave me 2 to go :)
    I personally can't go without fertilizing it's just an OCD thing for me. However, when I do fertilize I queue up seven plants and use one fish to do it. Makes it go a whole lot faster and there is no difference using one fish to fertilize seven plants vs. fertilizing each plant with one fish.

I have noticed that if I let the harvest sit for a sim week the value does increase. I got about $10k+ on grapes a while back. She's got to harvest in a few days so I will check to see what the value is and then check again on the harvest after that. I normally tend plants and fertilize before I harvest. She's actually a millionaire with the proceeds from her garden. :p

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    It looks like it will be really helpful for all of us, thanks.
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    Thank you Carl ... I think your site is the best... Very helpful and details ... Nice job, well done
  • Options
    Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Carl's have been a staple for me for years, glad to see it kick in gear for TS4. Esp as the Prima guide is just the ingame info, so no insight at all.

I keep checking Carl's for details on the Writer and Tech Guru careers, hope they are coming soon. :)
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    awesome thank you I used your sims 3 reviews a lot :D
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    Jimboola11 wrote: »
    Carl's have been a staple for me for years, glad to see it kick in gear for TS4. Esp as the Prima guide is just the ingame info, so no insight at all.

I keep checking Carl's for details on the Writer and Tech Guru careers, hope they are coming soon. :)

Agree ... After reading prime guide I do want my money back..... It's kind of general facts.... Not worth for money
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    I was so happy to see that your site was going to take on Sims 4! Your Sims 3 guide is my #1 go-to site for info about the game. I found out about things there that I didn't even realize existed in the game and it enhanced my gameplay so much. Off to check out what you have so far for Sims 4... :)
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Carl, I have your site bookmarked for Sims 4 as I used it in Sims 3 too. It helped me in so many ways. Thank you for your work and dedication. I know it is a lot to do.

The only thing that is bugging me is the Aspiration- Soul mate. My Sim has this Aspiration while doing a legacy so I can't change it. It is unable to complete because she can't propose to her current husband again after making him her BFF. Also Marry your BFF didn't update after making them BFF's, however I made them BFF's after they were married not realizing this was a future requirement. Guess I should have checked the whole Aspiration panel before getting married. So I guess this is another bug we have to wait until it is fixed.

So, that might be one you have to put on a back burner for now.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks you so much it is such a nice site. I love your forum, it is very nice and helpful, very peaceful there. All helpful things, thank you for this site, I have placed in on my home screen. I have always loved your interest in this project.
    There is one thing I wish you would add, I know it is not of much interest to some, but I would like to see a set of key board interactions listed, like what keys to type for different things. instead of mouse.
  • Options
    JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    Hi guys, I'm Carl ...

Thanks for reading!
    Carl

Carl your info is the best! Even though I've owned all the Prima guides, I find myself consulting your site the most! Many thanks!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Hi Carl, loved your work with Sims3! Your info was GOLD!!
    This!

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Carl you and your team have been a blessing.Thank you.
  • Options
    silencecomplexsilencecomplex Posts: 392 Member
    @Glimmer50 Thanks for the tip - that one sounds difficult so we should lower it on our to-do list and await a patch, just in case they tweak it.

@blunote00 @moongodess I appreciate you sharing those experiences with Gardening for me. I knew that guide wasn't done! I am glad I kept my save with all plants you can currently get. I'll try to edit the guide soon and try to come up with some definitive information for players on how long they should leave harvestables on the plant.

@Evalen I think a guide to hotkeys is perfect for our site, since we're trying to help people play the game. I'll try and get on that!

@Jimboola11 I will work on those Careers this week, undoubtedly, as I've only got 3 to go. I will try and prioritize those :)

Today we published Culinary Career and Comedy Skill

• Options
    JaylinaJaylina Posts: 256 Member
    Why would anyone bother buying an overly expensive guide book when there is Carl's. Thanks for the hard work. :)
  • Options
    tinydancer80tinydancer80 Posts: 282 Member
    Hey Carl! LOVED your Sims 3 site... it was my go to site for all info related to Sims 3 strategies. I would LOVE for you to join my FB page called "Sims 3 Alumni & Friends", as all of us there would certainly welcome your expertise (as you gain more of it) ;) Hope to see you there!
  • Options
    @Silencecomplex Cheers mate. Amazed that two of the best careers Tech Guru & Writer have received so little love so far. No really good guides out there. Where as you can't move for people talking about mating frogs! I have no idea what this says about the simming community! :D
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited September 2014
    @Glimmer50 Thanks for the tip - that one sounds difficult so we should lower it on our to-do list and await a patch, just in case they tweak it.

@blunote00 @moongodess I appreciate you sharing those experiences with Gardening for me. I knew that guide wasn't done! I am glad I kept my save with all plants you can currently get. I'll try to edit the guide soon and try to come up with some definitive information for players on how long they should leave harvestables on the plant.

@Evalen I think a guide to hotkeys is perfect for our site, since we're trying to help people play the game. I'll try and get on that!

@Jimboola11 I will work on those Careers this week, undoubtedly, as I've only got 3 to go. I will try and prioritize those :)

Today we published Culinary Career and Comedy Skill
    Sorry I work 3rd shift so I needed to get "some" sleep. I had her do her first harvest and she made $34,116 Total.

Here is a breakdown of everything harvested with a few interesting twist.
    It's kind of ugly as I tallied the order they came up in her inventory.

Trash Fruit x 10 @ $1.00 ea = $10
    Note: Harvest is always "Normal" quality.

Spinach x 40 @ $5.00 ea = $200
    Tomato x 40 @ $30.00 ea = $1,200
    Apple x 16 @ $33.00 ea = $528
    Pomegranate x 17 @ $46.00 ea = $782
    Blackberries x 33 @ $143.00 ea = $4,719
    Lemon x 16 @ $30.00 ea = $480
    Cherries x 14 @ $39.00 ea = $546
    Onion x 40 @ $36.00 ea = $1,440
    Pear x 13 @ $36.00 ea = $468
    Carrot x 46 @ $20.00 ea = $920
    Potato x 44 @ $26.00 ea = $1,144
    Sage x 40 @ $8.00 ea = $320
    Grapes x 35 @ $85.00 ea = $2,975
    Strawberries x 52 @ $20.00 ea = $1,040
    Basil x 47 @ $5.00 ea = $225
    Plantain x 14 @ $40.00 ea = $560
    Chrysanthemums x 38 @ $17.00 ea = $646
    Lily x 46 @ $17.00 ea = $782
    UFO x 30 @ $312.00 ea = $9,360

Interesting stuff here.

I had her harvest again some mushrooms that had popped up just after the initial harvest of waiting a sim week. There was a $6.00 per mushroom difference because they were harvested brand new. So it definitely pays more to wait longer.

Mushroom x 54 Total = $456
    14 @ $4.00 ea = $56
    40 @ $10.00 ea = $400
    I did take two screenshots to show the different and I will edit to add later.

Mushroom difference
    2uqlsa9.jpg
    5vtxc2.jpg

All of the below (I'm assuming) would fall in the same category as the mushrooms. I didn't check each item's price on the below like I did with the mushrooms. I may check the next time she harvest but that won't be done tonight.

Parsley x 38 @ $8.00 ea = $313
    Daisy x 9 @ $4.00 ea = $34
    Roses x 51 @ $18.00 ea = $912
    Orchid x 40 @ $23.00 ea = $932
    Tulip x 51 @ $19.00 ea = $919
    Blue Bells x 55 @ $17.00 ea = $929
    Snapdragon x 63 @ $20.00 ea = $1,276

She also has a job in comedy now to fulfill another Aspiration so we will see how working affects the gardening schedule. She's been gardening a long time and I have to say, she only has three UFO plant and that price is Awesome! If she really needed the money she'd just have the high return plants. ;)

If anyone doubts those prices, I did take screenshots of the Blackberries and UFO harvest. :D

Blackberries
    263yav8.jpg
    105cnqe.jpg

UFO
    2zpma1x.jpg
    bi78kx.jpg

EDIT: Added images
    Post edited by blunote00 on
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    wow what a garden. how long did it take her. How long did it take her to make a garden that large and how long to harvest. that is a living I guess. Where you just playing your own way, or where you doing goals and assignments. Great job you did. I would love to see some pictures of your garden. I have yet found out how to grow flowers.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    wow what a garden. how long did it take her. How long did it take her to make a garden that large and how long to harvest. that is a living I guess. Where you just playing your own way, or where you doing goals and assignments. Great job you did. I would love to see some pictures of your garden. I have yet found out how to grow flowers.

You should be able to buy starter seeds for daisies, chrysanthemums, and bluebells. If you see flowers (or fruits/veg) when you are out, you can pick them and plant them as well; that's how I got snapdragons, pears, strawberries, and cherries.
  • Options
    lynnylynny Posts: 1,141 Member
    Love the sites, Carl! Do you have one for Sims 2? I gave away all of my books when I got rid of the games, but I got the Ultimate Collection back in July for free and I'm lost :)
  • Options
    @Jimboola11 I am guessing I will be able to do those Thursday. Today, I'm working on the Programming Skill on a Whim :P I kind of felt like knocking out an easy one, and this is definitely it. I will likely do Writer and Programmer together to see what they unlock. At this point it looks certain that Careers will be done by Sunday, but things are always changing. It is definitely my goal. At least Programming will be done to compliment Tech Guru.

@blunote00 Thanks for the detailed info. I have not got around to testing, but I think I have an idea how I'll do it. Different sets of plants, some with Fertilizer, some without, and harvesting one plant each day to see when they start giving the boosted values. Then, I can try it on another type of plant with a longer growth time (blueberries or UFO) and confirm if they use the same timetables or not. Your data definitely helps, cheers!

@lynny back in the day, I wanted to do a Guide to the Sims 2 but I didn't have a PC powerful enough, nor the funds to buy the game and get all Expansions. If i had, it's certain my life would be different now.. but I did write a lot of guides back then, and it helped me to refine the process and develop my own style. Now it's a bit too late, since I do rely on my sites to help me live. I couldn't really devote this much time to gaming if it were any other way (hence the ads). As a result, I have to focus on newer titles. I think it's possible I will end up covering Civ: Beyond Earth next, but it's hard to say how things will go by the time I'm done with TS4. I want to branch out to console, but am not sure I want to make the leap just yet.
  • Options
    @Jimboola11 I did do Tech Guru today. Just seems to compliment the Video Gaming and Programming skills. I'd enter it for sure if using those, since it will help you become Very Focused easily without spamming tons of Mathematical Diagrams from the easel.
  • Options
    @Jimboola11 I did do Tech Guru today. Just seems to compliment the Video Gaming and Programming skills. I'd enter it for sure if using those, since it will help you become Very Focused easily without spamming tons of Mathematical Diagrams from the easel.

I've got to almost the top of Tech Guru but I have always been wary of getting 'Very' any emotion. I think early on there was a worry that being in a 'very' state for too long could lead to death. But reading your programming guide, I guess not. Feel kinda silly now! :0 I was all 'Keep Calm and Hack'. :)
  • Options
    @Jimboola11 The dangerous ones are more like Very Sad and Very Uncomfortable. I know Sims can die from jokes, so wonder if Very Playful might be the only positive one that's dangerous. However, on our Comedy Guide we did get probably almost every buff for Playful you can get, in order to do the comedy shows well, so it may require repeated jokes from a high level comedian. It may have nothing to do with the Playful moodlet at all. I need to do some testing for a death guide, and think the advanced cheats might help me stack up emotions with moodlets to see what the threshold is for a Sim to be in danger.
  • Options
    @blunote00 There is a bug affecting Gardening that likely makes all the values on my Plant List wrong.

No matter how you remove a plant from your inventory, whether by planting it, putting it in the fridge, using it in a dish, or selling it one at a time, several of the plants of the same type AND value go up in price. This is why prices are all over the place, and it's hard to nail down real values. I think that harvestables in general are hit by this bug as other types get impacted (may go down or up). UFO plants went down for me, while a few others did as well. But if you use one, that type will be impacted greatly. This means planting some blackberries causes your blackberries to go up in price dramatically, as each time you plant one the others' prices would be impacted.

Therefore, I believe that plant values are meant to be static. The first value in my table - the amount of a perfect plant, is the only number correct there. The others are bugged values that I will remove when I see it fixed in a patch.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top