Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The UI Is Not User Friendly

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Alnairan wrote: »
    Read the quotes again. I NEVER said that.
    The person that said that a monkey could use it was FatCat, not me.
    Look, I even used quotation marks when addressing to FatCat's assertion ~.~

But, you did point out that his hyperbole was inline with your thinking.

• Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited September 2014
    greenXen wrote: »
    Alnairan wrote: »
    Read the quotes again. I NEVER said that.
    The person that said that a monkey could use it was FatCat, not me.
    Look, I even used quotation marks when addressing to FatCat's assertion ~.~

But, you did point out that his hyperbole was inline with your thinking.

I pointed out that since he said that "any monkey can use it", then he must think that the UI is user friendly, which is what I agree with (I agree that the UI is user friendly). It doesn't mean I think that any monkey can use it lol
    What I said is that it seems that he agrees with my point, and that my point is that the UI is easy to use (therefore user friendly). Nothing on my point says that "any monkey can use it".
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    There is seriously no good reason for them not putting everything in the lower left hand corner like they have ever since TS1.

I think they changed the UI for the sake of being different without giving any thought as to why the UI design is very similar in 1-3.

I'm REALLY hoping that UI mods eventually get made.
  • Options
    Eduardx123Eduardx123 Posts: 1,039 Member
    TS4 has so many bad things,but one of those is not the UI,sorry to disagree.

TS4 UI and CAS character creation is the most sleek easy,modern ever made.
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    How I wish I had someone here to show me how easy this UI is to use. Besides camera controls and floor up and down being way up in the right hand corner, they also keep hiding themselves. I am finding them very awkward to use. As someone else has mentioned, it is not natural to look to the top of the screen. For some reason my mouse is not liking this game. Edge scrolling is horrible and trying to change the camera angle with the scroll wheel is next to impossible. Maybe I need a new mouse, or better still a monkey.
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    Made for tablets. Gotta get those candy crush players. :)

I just don't get this post at all. I see no connection between this game and tablets or candy crush. None. There is nothing about this game that would make it suitable for playing on a tablet.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/09/02/electronic-arts-the-sims-4-aims-to-prove-theres-still-a-market-for-pricey-pc-based-life-simulators/?__federated=1&__lsa=3515-fc86

• Options
    TarôTarô Posts: 52 Member
    I like the TS4 UI and don't find anything about it being problematic. It is way better than in previous Sims. You even have the Build mode in the same screen than the one where you can put furnitures, you can search what you want by name, icons are neat and nicely done, they don't take too much space on the screen and they aren't all packed in the left corner of the screen...

The UI is actually something I like a lot, it makes the game feel "fresh" and light.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I do find some problems with the controls in The Sims 4.

Some keys and buttons are changed from The Sims 3. Esc now opens the menu instead of F5, J opens Careers instead of Skills which is L and the camera controls but you can use Sims 3 Camera Control. Menus for Options and Build Mode are in different positions. Also, the Sim tabs are on the right side of the screen leading to placement issues if you're used to The Sims 3.

There's no way to view their career performance while they're at work as well as their Needs which was possible in The Sims 3.

As with The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval, the UI and text is small. While not an issue on monitors or laptop displays but on HDTVs or Ultra HD displays, the text can be hard to read unless you're sitting close to the HDTV. I tried to play The Sims 3 on my sister's Spectre 40" HDTV using HDMI at 1080p and I couldn't read the text at all.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    Glad that we can view career performance while at work. I wish the last patch had included more changes than it did.

This should probably be moved to Ideas & Feedback now.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    This thread made me cry :'(

Aww, don't cry. Have a cookie!
    1628y87.jpg

Much more fun. :D

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    This thread made me cry :'(

Aww, don't cry. Have a cookie!
    1628y87.jpg

Much more fun. :D

Yay cookies!!!!!
    I remember you! You had that profile pic and stuff... OMG! HIIII
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    I don't have a big gripe with the UI. It's a bit bright and bland looking but I find it easy enough to navigate.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I use 1400x900 (or I say 900p) at a 32" LCD and no see UI smaller than Sims 3 at same resolution
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Yes, the UI is awful at 1920x1080. It's all over the screen. I have a programmable gaming mouse and for many things I've just programmed it into the mouse because it's so annoying going all over the screen.

Seriously, for a sims game, I need to use a programmable mouse.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    The UI was the final nail in my sims 4's coffin, actually. The edge scrolling problems were making me batty and the information panels are huge on my screen. The two combined made me run for the hills (when combined with the other issues.)
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    The UI is VILE. Worst one they've had by a long shot, despised it at first and whilst I have gotten used to it, it's still foul. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Improve it, yes. Just.. don't destroy it like this.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    EuanSim wrote: »
    The UI is VILE. Worst one they've had by a long shot, despised it at first and whilst I have gotten used to it, it's still foul. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Improve it, yes. Just.. don't destroy it like this.

lol...well I wouldn't call this UI VILE. I find it much better to use. I like it.
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    The UI is horrible, especially in build mode. I've gotten used to it to an extent, but I still don't like it, especially how white it is.
  • Options
    duckiesduckies Posts: 4 New Member
    > @blueasbutterfly said:
    > The UI was the final nail in my sims 4's coffin, actually. The edge scrolling problems were making me batty and the information panels are huge on my screen. The two combined made me run for the hills (when combined with the other issues.)

I agree with nearly all of the OP's comments along with the quote above. The new UI is very difficult to use in a functional, seamless way!! I even had to google what "UI" meant because the game doesn't tell me. I have been playing The Sims since the beginning (ahh, let there be light, 2000!!) and just let me say, these controls are baffling. It just seems like they want to "fit in" with the mobile-based games crowd, but that does not work for the complexity of a Sims game. Within the Sims, I don't want to spend half my time trying to figure out how to tell if my Sim is happy or mad and if it's because of a need (hunger, social, etc) and going to work, and oh my what's in his inventory and wait, don't forget about those aspirations! I lose so much of my Sims' day searching for different things.

While my Sims can now multi-task, I don't feel like I can. I am very disappointed by the UI here. So much so that unless I can get a handle of it in the next few gameplays, I may not play anymore. And as someone who has been paying and playing for the Sims for years, it is quite disappointing to think of such a thing.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    duckies wrote: »
    > @blueasbutterfly said:<br />
    > The UI was the final nail in my sims 4's coffin, actually. The edge scrolling problems were making me batty and the information panels are huge on my screen. The two combined made me run for the hills (when combined with the other issues.)<br />
    <br />
    I agree with nearly all of the OP's comments along with the quote above. The new UI is very difficult to use in a functional, seamless way!! I even had to google what "UI" meant because the game doesn't tell me. I have been playing The Sims since the beginning (ahh, let there be light, 2000!!) and just let me say, these controls are baffling. It just seems like they want to "fit in" with the mobile-based games crowd, but that does not work for the complexity of a Sims game. Within the Sims, I don't want to spend half my time trying to figure out how to tell if my Sim is happy or mad and if it's because of a need (hunger, social, etc) and going to work, and oh my what's in his inventory and wait, don't forget about those aspirations! I lose so much of my Sims' day searching for different things. <br />
    <br />
    While my Sims can now multi-task, I don't feel like I can. I am very disappointed by the UI here. So much so that unless I can get a handle of it in the next few gameplays, I may not play anymore. And as someone who has been paying and playing for the Sims for years, it is quite disappointing to think of such a thing.

All of that is overcome by playing and getting used to it. It's actually much easier and smoother as it is.

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    duckies wrote: »
    > @blueasbutterfly said:<br />
    > The UI was the final nail in my sims 4's coffin, actually. The edge scrolling problems were making me batty and the information panels are huge on my screen. The two combined made me run for the hills (when combined with the other issues.)<br />
    <br />
    I agree with nearly all of the OP's comments along with the quote above. The new UI is very difficult to use in a functional, seamless way!! I even had to google what "UI" meant because the game doesn't tell me. I have been playing The Sims since the beginning (ahh, let there be light, 2000!!) and just let me say, these controls are baffling. It just seems like they want to "fit in" with the mobile-based games crowd, but that does not work for the complexity of a Sims game. Within the Sims, I don't want to spend half my time trying to figure out how to tell if my Sim is happy or mad and if it's because of a need (hunger, social, etc) and going to work, and oh my what's in his inventory and wait, don't forget about those aspirations! I lose so much of my Sims' day searching for different things. <br />
    <br />

All of that is overcome by playing and getting used to it. It's actually much easier and smoother as it is.

I played an awfully long time and I never found it easier, especially with the giant UI blocking literally about 30% of my screen. Here's the issue: you get certain information, you think, oh hey, my sim using X object would fix this, you try to scroll to get to the object but the UI is blocking you from edge scrolling, so you have to move your camera angle and *then* scroll over to the point where your UI is no longer blocking the object you're trying to get to. :( it got really really annoying.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    I love the Ui and find it sleek, practical and user-friendly. Except for the camera controls, which are hidden, overall hard to use and limited. Everything else, I quite like and would say it is the best UI so far.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I agree with the OP. I find myself going up and down my screen to press buttons, I very much prefer my orderly dashboard in 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Om358Om358 Posts: 178 Member
    edited December 2014
    Item 2, wow! It's not friendly for larger resolutions is it. I have my screen set up for 1280x768 and if you have a household with 8 sims living there their icons are far too small as there are options within their icons. I also didn't like how one family member was placed on top of the others, it looks odd to me. It seems like a lot of things with this game, what are great ideas, then become poorly implemented or omitted altogether. I don't like having to press "O" to look at my sims needs, seems like that's all I did when I was playing because it blocks a large portion of the bottom of the screen. It takes getting used to but I don't expect it to change.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top