Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

anyone having problems with story progression giving weird names to babies?

I do not like some of the names story progression has given the babies of families I am not playing. Like "Silas" or "Arfulo" How on earth do they come up with these names? I go to the families and change them. Some I do like, like Vito.

Comments

• Options
    eternallycharmedeternallycharmed Posts: 1,030 New Member
    edited September 2009
    My game has the annoying habit for giving guys girls names and visa versa. :?
  • Options
    CaseyPorter415CaseyPorter415 Posts: 513 New Member
    edited September 2009
    My game has the annoying habit for giving guys girls names and visa versa. :?
    I had a baby in town named Jo who was boy and he had a brother named Shan
  • Options
    hlouisehlouise Posts: 409 New Member
    edited September 2009
    wait until you get Irfan! or Bimble!
  • Options
    ahjahbeanahjahbean Posts: 208 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I got a Jamaal. I really like it when the game picks the names for me, I wish there was an option for the game to pick the names all the time, instead of me having to come up with them. I'm so boring and predictable. I usually do Junior for the first born son and try and match the first letter of the last name. I have no creativity whatsoever when it comes to naming things! LOL!
  • Options
    Nicarra60Nicarra60 Posts: 2,916 Member
    edited September 2009
    Usually the game does ok at randomly naming my babies. It has given me a few odd ones or odd spelling of normal names.

I loved it when the new son of Jon Lessen (rock and roll star) got the name Elvis + he got the trait of virtuoso. He's a child now and about to have a Music lesson, though I don't think he can seriously play guitar until he is a teen.
    My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)
  • Options
    BluegemstoneBluegemstone Posts: 15 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I agree - there have been so many names that I've seen and thought, 'What?!?!?'

The worst by far was 'Hubert'. Yuk.
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited September 2009
    i have gotten some odd ones, but most are pretty decent, and i find myself thinking, 'well thats not bad.'

but once in a while theres a real stinko.. like alejandro goth.. P U
  • Options
    AnoniemouseAnoniemouse Posts: 399 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Are you kidding? I love the random name system. I wish they had a randomize button for naming babies in my main family.
  • Options
    NemmNemm Posts: 148 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I usually find the names the game assigns to babies amusing... like one boy got the name Lavar!! :shock:

I've never heard of that one, but then just the other day I came across a girl who also had a unusual name... well it's probably unusual to most people in the world but its actually my sister's name. I was quite surprised to see this girl with her name and now I'd love to try to get her to join my Legacy story somehow. Oh! her name is Carlotta :-)
  • Options
    LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    edited September 2009
    Be grateful story progression is giving you babies! My legacy 'hood has died out! I'd be grateful for a sim name "Flibberty-gibbit" if story progression produced him!
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    edited September 2009
    I once had a weird name that made me burst out laughing.. it was so rediculous i didnt know how to pronouce it and have forgotten how to spell it..

I have had a sims called Leland and rodrick.. anyone ever heard of them names before?
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    edited September 2009
    Really I dont find the game generated names any worse than the ones generated in Sims 2. (remember Venkat and Ratna from Sims 2? Had a few of those running around)

I don't mind the odd ones...though I was very surprised to find TWO Cletus's in my game. Cletus Frio and Cletus Bachelor. Both were randomly spawned by the game and named by the game.

Also had Deena, Yusun and Freddy spawned into the game...in the same family. Of course maybe Yusun is like "Jennifer" in some other language..who knows?

I kinda wish one of those was a "Silas" lol...
  • Options
    KLoreleiKLorelei Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited September 2009
    I have had a sims called Leland and rodrick.. anyone ever heard of them names before?

Roderick is a Scandinavian name meaning ruler/king.

Leland is a surname (lastname) meaning meadow or clearing (area) of land.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i really like the oddness and randomness of the names. it better than having ten thousand 'mikes' and 'beckys'

(no offence to any mikes or beckys)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I once had a weird name that made me burst out laughing.. it was so rediculous i didnt know how to pronouce it and have forgotten how to spell it..

I know they aren't that common, but I know of people with both of those names.
  • Options
    dragonmaster626dragonmaster626 Posts: 3,716 New Member
    edited September 2009
    i've had a lot of bad names come up befor
  • Options
    SophieMarieSophieMarie Posts: 135 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I, too, would be happy with any name if only the story progression would produce some babies once in awhile. I'm on my 13th generation and my town is completely dead except for some random townies that don't live anywhere.

Where oh where have the little babies gone, oh where oh where could they be . . . ?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ive heard, altho i dont know for certain, that the newest patch fixed that ghost town thing, but only in towns started AFTER installing the patch.

so if your down to just your main family, save them to file and make a new hood and plop them in it
  • Options
    hellacoolgirlhellacoolgirl Posts: 32 New Member
    edited September 2009
    How do you get the game to name your kids?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The most recent patch that I know of is the one that caused the ghost town, the one that stopped single parents from spawning children. Is there a more recent patch after that one?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    no thats the one. i dont have my game patched so i really cant confirm or deny this rumor.

its just what ive heard around
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Zeri wrote:
    no thats the one. i dont have my game patched so i really cant confirm or deny this rumor.

its just what ive heard around

Mine is, and my towns are spawning properly. All of my towns were started after the patch.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You're the smart one, I wish I hadn't patched my game. It's been a nightmare ever since. No more children, no marriages, people just die out.
  • Options
    olivermypupolivermypup Posts: 1,586 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Really I dont find the game generated names any worse than the ones generated in Sims 2. (remember Venkat and Ratna from Sims 2? Had a few of those running around)

I don't mind the odd ones...though I was very surprised to find TWO Cletus's in my game. Cletus Frio and Cletus Bachelor. Both were randomly spawned by the game and named by the game.

Also had Deena, Yusun and Freddy spawned into the game...in the same family. Of course maybe Yusun is like "Jennifer" in some other language..who knows?

I kinda wish one of those was a "Silas" lol...

I had like 4 "Goopy"s lol. One of them was named Goopy Ng... Ng??? wth??

On another note, how do you change the kids names? I know it has something to do with town hall and I had the option before but I can't remember how to do it now.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    well i didnt patch cause i use indie mod and i love it. i just didnt see any need to remove a mod that works, to get a patch that doesnt

im worried about WA tho.. ill have to patch then, or just not get the ep.... where will my story progression be with WA?