Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Story Progression is the worst part of this game.

Comments

• Options
    midnightmonkey28midnightmonkey28 Posts: 594 New Member
    edited September 2009
    it gets rid of their wishes and everything in their inventory :x
  • Options
    spiralbuddyspiralbuddy Posts: 26 New Member
    edited September 2009
    also... real quick... changing active households, that only gets rid of their wishes, right? i have not switched until this last game because i was unsure what exactly i "lost"

Whenever I switch active households, I lose personal inventory and also items in the refridgerator. Some items remain in the personal inventory, and I think the family inventory is still the same. However, I've lost some things such as:

Moodlet managers
    Collection helper
    Books, including ones written by my sims :( not sure if I can ever get these back
    fruit
    fish
    property deeds (when you invest around town)

I know about theawesome mod, but I'd prefer to play without it.
  • Options
    midnightmonkey28midnightmonkey28 Posts: 594 New Member
    edited September 2009
    mods can cause conflicts with your game so i don't trust them :(
  • Options
    LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    edited September 2009
    I agree with those who like story progression, as a concept. I just wish it worked right.

My legacy 'hood has died out. No one is coupling up and having babies. I even made some young adult couples, made sure they had "Family Oriented" among their traits, and put them in my neighborhood, hoping they would reproduce. They didn't. They just grew old, and clogged up another house.

Every house you look at in the 'hood has elders. No one is having children. The park is deserted! Singles with kids was better than no kids!

Since it's a Legacy, I can't make spouses for my sims.

I, too, know about the mods. I don't want to bog down my 'puter with a bunch of stuff I don't really understand in an attempt to make my game work like it's supposed to.
  • Options
    Princeton09Princeton09 Posts: 73 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I agree, I find it annoying that the game keeps deleting families I made and moved into the neighborhood. I build houses on every empty lot and whenever I move in a family and try to make the neighborhood full the game randomlly moves out family memembers in an house or puts their own premade family in an house that I had my own family in. :?:***? The game also kills one or two family members in an home and its frustrating because it just messes up everything. I have the Story Progression turned off but it keeps doing the same things over and over. I hope soon that they fix this because I want a full town and want to be able to control all of my sims.
  • Options
    almostawesomealmostawesome Posts: 18 New Member
    edited September 2009
    this is why i downloaded the awesomemod. Story Progression is evil!
  • Options
    KingBsbll8KingBsbll8 Posts: 88 New Member
    edited September 2009
    No...No...No...No...No....this is where your brain shut off. This is the greatest aspect of the game!!!and the most crucial!!! Story progression is what keeps the game alive and thriving....yeah a great...great...great....great...great...great grandpa is never still supposed to be alive while his great...great exc. daughter is still alive, its really impossible. It's a great aspect of the game.....
  • Options
    SimPig25SimPig25 Posts: 74 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I seem to be lucky with story progression. I usually only see a few single parent births, and families don't move out, just in. It also seems that the kids I care about who get their own place never seem to leave town. So it may not help but my advice is, visit your other familes or your relatives 2 or 3 times a week. Then they may not be deleted. Oh, and I play with aging off. May or may not be a factor, just saying.
  • Options
    KiZiKiZKiZiKiZ Posts: 35 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Yea... I'd rather not have the progression and have the ability to make and control multiple families in one neighborhood again. It's really annoying how they essentially took a large part of the game (the progression of the entire neighborhood) from us and took it upon themselves to control every other household except the active one... And even if it's turned off we still can't switch back and forth without having things messed up. Not cool man...
  • Options
    GommeIncGommeInc Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited September 2009
    You answered it yourself, you turned it off, so just turn it off if it bugs you so much -.-
  • Options
    DecemberProdigyDecemberProdigy Posts: 34 Member
    edited September 2009
    I absolutely hate story progresion, i downloaded awesomemod too, and i'm glad i did because i would not stand for any of that happening in my game.

I think in the next EP or something, they should have a feature that allows people to be able to choose to have sims2 like gameplay where they can have multiple playable families without having to have an active family (i like the way households and families worked in sims2) but there should also be the option to have it as it is or to choose what features you want in your game, because everyone likes different things and the sims should try and accomodate everyone, like in the sims2 there were mummies, plantsims and vampires and such, i never used any of these (except for magic occasionally) but they were there if you wanted them :)
  • Options
    KERMARTAYKERMARTAY Posts: 80 New Member
    edited September 2009
    i have always played with story progression on and not had any of these things happen. i read another post which said the things that have happened 2 u guys happenes when story progression is turned of. :?:
  • Options
    dizzydeedizzydee Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited October 2009
    I like Story Progression. I just wish it worked as promised. If it did, I'd say it was the best part about TS3. I don't want TS3 to be like TS1 or TS2. I want it to be different and unexpected. But, that's just my opinion.

Still, you can get Awesome Mod and configure it to use TS2 like Story Progression. Or you can turn Story Progression off.
  • Options
    The_Blue_MaidenThe_Blue_Maiden Posts: 774 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Nah, story progression is pretty good in my opinion. At first I thought it was bad-My second gen Spare wouldn't have any kids-but then he turned adult and he had a little girl with his wife, so it's cool.

Not many problems with moving out.
  • Options
    jrnordin18jrnordin18 Posts: 51 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I thought it was really funny; today I was playing my #1 house and I had to add a new Sim to the neighborhood so I changed my active household, made the new Sim, and I filled his house with furniture and sent him to her house to meet her and when I went inside her house...there was a baby on the floor! It was literally about 2 hours in the game and the baby just appeared!? The thing is...I thought maybe that she just adopted it but the weirdest thing is the baby looks exactly like her...so it couldnt be adopted????

I didnt read through this whole thread..I am not sure if that has happened before!
    :lol:
  • Options
    LufferkinzLufferkinz Posts: 2,600 New Member
    edited October 2009
    I think it's the best part of the game. If you don't like it, turn it off. It's not really much of a deal.
  • Options
    TotakekeTotakeke Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Story Progression is fine, but I haven't really played any other families. But there's no reason to complain if you can just turn it off.
  • Options
    HopsnbarleyHopsnbarley Posts: 68 New Member
    edited October 2009
    LGT09 wrote:
    it deletes your families too?!!! why does it do that?!

It's quite an idiotic feature. The game will move in random families, decide that the neighborhood is too big, and then delete families you made. Idiotic.

I'm keeping it off forever.
    It deletes your families? My game never does that! It only deletes townies and stuff. I used to really dislike story prgression but now I love it. :)
  • Options
    tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited October 2009
    It's just too random. It moves Sims in together for no reason. It turfs families out of their houses for no reason. It deletes Sims - sometimes babies (and even adults) just aren't there anymore. It makes families homeless for no reason, not just because they can't afford bills (which would be an interesting gameplay element if it were the case!)

This isn't emergent gameplay. This is chaos, and it's boring.

I don't use story progression because it doesn't work without ripping things to shreads. I want it to work.

Story progression is a disaster and Awesomemod is so tempting it's not even funny. Why should I have to install a third party mod from an angry character just to get the game to be unintrusive and constructive? For goodness sake! Patch in some of the Awesomemod features and fixes with WA!
  • Options
    wilkolencewilkolence Posts: 45 New Member
    edited October 2009
    TWILIGHT twilight TWILIGHT twilight TWILIGHT twilight TWILIGHT twilight

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=107062
  • Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    edited October 2009
    I too have experience the game deleting characters. If you have yet to experience it then either you aren't reading your newspaper daily or just not playing with your other families. Once I moved a daughter out of her parents house and played with her parents until one died. When i went to play with her again she has like two random kids. So I have resulted in making my offspring hate children, lol. But I too agree with your statement. I appreciate the creators trying to put a spin on the game but I don't like the story progression and have since turned it off.
  • Options
    MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    edited October 2009
    octojenn wrote:
    So I have resulted in making my offspring hate children, lol.

Before I was using the Indiestone mod I tried this too. The character still got married and had a kid with the guy she was living with despite the fact that I gave her committment issues and dislikes children as traits.

As for random moving away. The minute one of my active family's relatives 'moved away' I got the story progression mod. I was so upset. I just cannot be bothered if the game is going to delete either people you've created or extended family members living on their own who you might not see all the time. EA should use the move away feature soley for NPCs and should not touch anyone connected by familial relations to your active household.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Options
    twilightsim9twilightsim9 Posts: 4,899 New Member
    edited October 2009
    IDK about it. this never happens in my game. I'd say it is a glitch.
  • Options
    lozzabozzaboomlozzabozzaboom Posts: 218 New Member
    edited October 2009
    this is gonna sound dumb,
    but i thought story progression was like, sims that you're not playing ageing up or dying and stuff while you're playing another family?
    i turned mine off but all this still happens so i'm guessing i'm wrong about what story progression is?
    lmao (:
  • Options
    lozmclozmc Posts: 258 New Member
    edited October 2009
    sorry, I haven't read the whole thread as it's a bit epic, but my story progression doesn't even work.

I decided to play Riverview the other day, ALL of the sims where elders. none of them had procreated and most of the houses are empty - It's really frustrating. I had to create a whole bunch of sims in CAS and place them in the empty houses, in the hope that they will get married to each other have babies etc.

.. I'm sure it was working ok before the latest patch though, as I remember even when reading the newspaper it would notify that such and such got married/had a baby etc. Now its just notifies when someone has died, or 'Llamas where beat 0-4..'

is it something to do with the patch, has EA officially recognised this problem?