Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 and False Advertising

The launch trailer that came out REALLY makes me sick. I know I posted a very positive thread for compliments and this thread is gonna come off as negative, but I just have to talk about it. When I saw green people in that trailer shaped to LOOK like aliens, I just wanted to give a middle finger to EA and Maxis. The fact that they did that, thinking they could trick the non informed buyers into thinking they were aliens is just so...AH! And someone just posted a thread about a car wash being in the background in the trailer as well even though there are no usable cars.

This is definitely going into consideration when I score this game for my review.

And a little mini rant: I hope they get their act together with all the supernatural, cause ever since Sims 3, they don't know how to balance that stuff.

Okay, that's all I have to say ya'll. Just had to get that off my chest. Now if you'll excuse me..
monsters-inc-boo-nap-gif.gif?w=500&h=250

Comments

• Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    EA gave everyone the impression that they could make Sims that look like aliens?

This is an outrage! I'm canceling my pre order.
  • Options
    jayisricejayisrice Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2014
    They try to make it as there was Aliens in the game , First thing I said when I saw the video.
    Thats a shame for people who don't know you can make green sims.

BTW its not really false Advertising because they never said there was aliens but they did try make look like it was.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    Honestly, I realized EA massively stages their teaser pictures when World Adventures was released. Remember the girl on the moped trying to escape the police with the Eiffel Tower in the background? Yeah...

So, I don't believe a word out of their mouths, including "hello," but it is reprehensible to imply there are aliens, because they are going to make people who are unfamiliar with their deceptive practices think aliens are in the base game the way they were in Sims 2 TEN years ago.
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    I think even the most naive are getting used to the EA school of PR by now - bigging up mediocre or even non -existent features as 'the best ever'. Pleeease...!
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    You didn't see the Sims 2 trailer if you think that's false advertising.

The_Sims_2_old_trailer_-_family.jpg
  • Options
    Marble9Marble9 Posts: 146 Member
    EA would say: "Just imagine that green sims are aliens!"
    bc028f35.png
  • Options
    Ralf453Ralf453 Posts: 1,158 Member
    If you look in the Youtube comments you see people saying "There are aliens in the game now?! Cool!!!" And then theres me sitting there going 'Wat'. Companies will always try to make the product look better than it really is, thats marketing for ya.
    grumpy-cat-lick.gif
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    EA would say, "Fans bought into the fiction that there were aliens."
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

You do realize that Aliens in The Sims 2 are only cosmetic differences. The only difference between an Alien and a Sim is Skin Tone and the Eyes. That's it.

The Sims 4 offers the same thing. Skin tone and the ability to change the pupil size so it's all black.

They aren't advertising you can get abducted. Aliens in The Sims 2 don't even have different interactions etc.

People need to remember the Aliens you make in Create-A-Sim and the Aliens that abduct you are not the same.

---

Also the CarWash is decor, they never said you could use it. That's like saying "I WANTED TO VISIT THE LIGHTHOUSE BECAUSE I COULD SEE IT!" in The Sims 3, so NEGATIVE REVIEWS!

It's just childish at this point.
  • Options
    bamcam30bamcam30 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Ralf453 wrote: »
    If you look in the Youtube comments you see people saying "There are aliens in the game now?! Cool!!!" And then theres me sitting there going 'Wat'. Companies will always try to make the product look better than it really is, thats marketing for ya.

I feel bad for the uninformed buyers and that cat is adorable
  • Options
    jayisrice wrote: »
    BTW its not really false Advertising because they never said there was aliens but they did try make look like it was.

This is how all good con artists work: "Sure, I showed you a green person, but I never said there were aliens. YOU saw a green person and thought it was an alien! It's all YOUR fault that you got your hopes up!"

This is how they leave themselves an out, so that it's always your fault, never theirs. Sociopaths use the same tactics.
  • Options
    jayisricejayisrice Posts: 194 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    You do realize that Aliens in The Sims 2 are only cosmetic differences. The only difference between an Alien and a Sim is Skin Tone and the Eyes. That's it.

The Sims 4 offers the same thing. Skin tone and the ability to change the pupil size so it's all black.

They aren't advertising you can get abducted. Aliens in The Sims 2 don't even have different interactions etc.

People need to remember the Aliens you make in Create-A-Sim and the Aliens that abduct you are not the same.

---

Also the CarWash is decor, they never said you could use it. That's like saying "I WANTED TO VISIT THE LIGHTHOUSE BECAUSE I COULD SEE IT!" in The Sims 3, so NEGATIVE REVIEWS!

Thats really not the point .
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    EuanSim wrote: »
    You didn't see the Sims 2 trailer if you think that's false advertising.

The_Sims_2_old_trailer_-_family.jpg
    Wow, you could put an eye out with those pompadours!
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    bamcam30bamcam30 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Marble9 wrote: »
    EA would say: "Just imagine that green sims are aliens!"

[img]http://stream1.🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/view6/2841285/imagination-o.gif[/img]
  • Options
    Alexxa991Alexxa991 Posts: 64 Member
    They are just a weird neighbors consoling2.gif
    rrrr.jpg
    English is not my first language
  • Options
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    EA would say, "Fans bought into the fiction that there were aliens."

Well, it was a "CONVINCING FICTION"! lol
  • Options

Obviously, you never played Sims 2, since that is not all there was to aliens. There were also alien abductions and alien pregnancies.
  • Options
    Summerbear5Summerbear5 Posts: 643 Member
    What's new? Really I remember when Sims 2 FreeTime video came out and it showed a Sim roller skating down the sidewalk in the foreground, which was totally false!
    It doesn't surprise me one bit...Go back to all Sims videos and pictures. So much false advertising and misleading.
    angrycat.gif
  • Options
    Ralf453Ralf453 Posts: 1,158 Member
    bamcam30 wrote: »

Me too, I can never understand why someone would go out and blindly purchase a game without seeing what it's all about and stuff first.

Thanks, thats Grumpy Cat :wink:
    grumpy-cat-lick.gif
  • Options
    SmellySimFeetSmellySimFeet Posts: 199 Member
    bamcam30 wrote: »

Me too, I can never understand why someone would go out and blindly purchase a game without seeing what it's all about and stuff first.

Thanks, thats Grumpy Cat :wink:

To support the franchise.
  • Options
    That's why I am not even going to be buying the game for at least 6+ months. The price will come down and I'll have more information on the game. I might not even want it who knows?
    angrycat.gif
  • Options
    jayisrice wrote: »

---

Thats really not the point .

It really is though.

There are two SEPARATE things. There are Alien Sims, which you make in Create-A-Sim:

MTS_esmeiolanthe-1307072-Males.jpg

And there are Aliens:

68422237.jpg

---

The Sims 4 (like The Sims 3) allows you to make Alien Sims. They do not include Aliens.

These are two separate species in The Sims franchise. One is the Aliens that abduct you, and actually have crashed from space.
    The other is a Sim, that has the background of an Alien.

The Sims 4 (just like The Sims 3) allows you to make Alien Sims. They do not allow you to make Aliens until later on.

I think the confusion is The Sims 2 offered both at once.
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    To support the franchise.

Hm, maybe the franchise should support us some then, not dump an unfinished product on customers they assume too loyal to say 'no'.
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options

But in short, Aliens and Aliens Sims ARE NOT the same thing. So EA don't call them Aliens, but hint the space theme.

Because Alien Sims are Sims that have the background of an Alien. They are NOT Aliens though.
  • Options
    Sims 2 didn't really offer that you could make alien sims unless I think you went into debug mode or downloaded a hack or something. Green skin wasn't just readily available.
    angrycat.gif