Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They Died.

No kidding guys. My sim family's been completely wiped. Erin, Aurora and Windswe are no more.

Fortunately, my Hunny's two families are still there.
But here's what happened:

I put in some Mods for the first time (I'm not blaming any of the Mods I've put in), and also some new land plots. That seemed to work fine. But the first strange thing I noticed was that, upon leaving one of the new land plots, one of my sims's hair looked all crimpled and weird. So I sent her home to a mirror to Change Appearance; however, she appeared completely normal in that mode.

When I left Change Appearance mode, I decided to try to save my game before anything else funky happened... But the game wouldn't complete the Save. No Error messages, just wouldn't finish. I also noticed before the attempted Save none of my three sims were appearing under the green rhombus or thought balloons.

Strange... well, I guess I'll just End Program in my 'Start Task Manager' window and reboot my PC. OH, wait, I did recently install some new mods, so I'll delete those cache folders so that can refresh properly.

So I did these things. And I come back.. and my sims are gone. Their slot at the game opening is empty.

I'm not even devastated, angry, or anything... probably because I did a good bit of what I wanted to do with them already... but I definitely don't want that to happen in the future, so... please share your take on this.

Comments

• Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    edited August 2014
    Save early, save often, and make different save files. As in, after a major event, do "Save as..." and create a new save so you have a 'backup' in case the other save ever gets corrupted or a bad glitch occurs. I've never had that glitch before, but I've had it to where the game just wouldn't stop saving. Maybe you deleted the wrong Cache file? I've heard that can cause some odd problems in the game.

Oh, and for future reference, the green rhombus is called a Plumbob ^^
  • Options
    AururabAururab Posts: 18 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks *^_^*

After doing some Googling, I learned about the copying the backup file and renaming it to get my fam back (*phew*), but I did also see several discussions on how the problem can persist...and that it could be due to the Mods I've downloaded.

Which is sad. I've read the "MUST READ"s for how to choose the CC Mods that were safe and how to properly download/unzip/install them and all. All for my up-to-date game version, all Base-Game compatible... and all that. I know I did it all properly, so... it kinda really very sucks that they'd mess my game up anyhow.

See, in the original post I said I didn't blame the Mods... and after I read up on other people's experiences, the Mods may just be the culprit. *sigh*. -_-
  • Options
    LadyGreenEyesLadyGreenEyes Posts: 928 Member
    edited August 2014
    Best bet with mods is to backup the saved games before you install any, and keep that folder someplace out of the usual spot. Then, if something happens, you can easily restore the saves without the mods.

I try and limit what I use for mods, just to avoid such issues. Twallen mods are good, especially Overwatch (which you almost can't play without!!) and Story Progression. Other than those, I have one that unlocks some auto soils, some that unlock the LN food truck and other items, the Dexter bear, and a couple of other simple ones. There are a ton out there, that people use, and some can conflict with one another, even if each alone is problem-free.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited August 2014
    I would go with backing up the Electronic Arts folder before installing any Mods ans do my research to make sure they were made be a reputable creator like the NRaas mods before I just grabbed any Mods and make sure the versions I use are for my correct patch level.I have to use the patch 167 versions of the NRaas Mods or they won't work.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited August 2014
    I found with mods, it's best to put them in your game one at a time, then play for awhile. Then add another in. Even some like NRAAS, which don't crash your game necessarily, give you unexpected results if you put too many in at once.

This is not to say the mods are bad or not working right, it's just that they take your game places you may not want it to go and so if you put them in one at a time, you can see.