Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

a recoloring tool for sims 4 is here!!

http://simsvip.com/2014/07/27/the-sims-4-cas-recolor-tool-now-available/ wow :shock: This might change my opinion on whether to get the game or not. Maybe, have to think about it and learn more. But good news nonetheless! :mrgreen:

Comments

• Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited July 2014
    that's great!
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    tgoldie4tgoldie4 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2014
    I saw this but then I saw them talking about modding being involved and I kind of zoned out... I wish you could do it without the extra hassle.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited July 2014
    I like it when EA emphatically states something is not possible, and before the ink is even dry, a modder has proved them wrong...
  • Options
    BBadictBBadict Posts: 282 Member
    edited July 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    I like it when EA emphatically states something is not possible, and before the ink is even dry, a modder has proved them wrong...

EA in a nutshell...
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    BBadict wrote:
    Halle_M wrote:

EA in a nutshell...

Yep.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, it looks that way just like EA/Maxis left modders to fix SimCity and it is a ongoing trend because that is what EA/Maxis is thinking, "We do not have to fix anything, we have the modders do it for free."
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    Halle_M wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

So true.

Why doesn't EA hire modders? I'll never know. Especially Twallan.
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't use mods...
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    Halle_M wrote:

So true.

They'd rather modders fix their mistakes and messes for free is why.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    Kellieann123Kellieann123 Posts: 507 Member
    edited July 2014
    So.. What you should learn from this is - Don't buy games from EA because they are incomplete. Donate money to the modding community who make these incomplete games actually playable.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    Quick question: WHY CAN'T EA PATCH IN A COLOR WHEEL?! I just don't understand. Is it that hard to bring us a little freaking color wheel? I doubt it. :roll:
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    Quick question: WHY CAN'T EA PATCH IN A COLOR WHEEL?! I just don't understand. Is it that hard to bring us a little freaking color wheel? I doubt it. :roll:

Seriously. Over on their feedback thread for the CAS demo, the majority of people are asking for a color wheel..
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:

I don't know all the logistics, but it seems like it's not as simple as you would think. Ever put a custom pattern in the game and try to adjust it in CASt? Sometimes it works, other times it's wonky. For example, I had a pattern that was green grass, but showed up as grey in CASt. I could lighten and darken it, but actually changing the color was not easy. There are even a few patterns included in the game that don't recolor properly.
    If items are not programed with proper channels and layers, they won't color quite right. And EA didn't intend for them to be recolored.
    What this tool does, is the same thing modders did for Sims 2, they gave you recolors to choose from, but it's not unlimited because that's difficult and needs to be there from the beginning.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    Halle_M wrote:

So true.

I would love to know where Twallan has gone to these days.

Anyway, I'm very excited that recolors are possible and yet, still have to think about whether or not "investing" in sims 2.5 is worth the effort for me. I'm sure some other folks will decide that an external recolor tool is good enough for them and that's okay.

I hate recolors. I love the sims franchise.

I hate not trying out the game for myself even if it is awful. I love casT.

I hate having 50 gig of cc. I love sims.

So so awkward, such an expected dilemma. Otoh, didn't I realize that somebody would make something like this? I should have sorta expected at least an external recoloring tool and thought about how that would work out. I think maybe I'm just hyper. *cough and apologies* :P
  • Options
    JPG619JPG619 Posts: 460 Member
    edited July 2014
    Moonbarker wrote:
    I don't use mods...

Same here, I play the game how it was to be played. Since in past game mods break the game and makes patching the game harder too with official patches since the mod has to be patched too
  • Options
    mikhybohomikhyboho Posts: 21 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Of course there's going to be modding tools to recolor stuff! That's not the least bit surprising. What would be surprising is if modders could make a color wheel in game. Who knows? It could be possible since it seems EA has copy-pasted a lot of code from Sims 3 into Sims 4.

What really bugs me about the loss of the color wheel and CAST is that the reason a lot of people think it was left out was because of performance. Looking at Sims 3 gives a lot of weight to that argument. A huge house with custom colored patterns and colors takes significantly longer to load and render than one with matching or defaulted patterns and colors.

What's annoying to me is that the way that Sims 4 is set up with the sectioned hoods and a semi-closed world - it would have been a lot less taxing on a PC to load and run a customized house or community lot than on Sims 3. Significantly so. The lot would have been smooth, playable, and would have given a lot of power to the creative types that flocked to Sims 3.

Instead, they killed everything.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited July 2014
    mikhyboho wrote:
    Of course there's going to be modding tools to recolor stuff! That's not the least bit surprising. What would be surprising is if modders could make a color wheel in game. Who knows? It could be possible since it seems EA has copy-pasted a lot of code from Sims 3 into Sims 4.

What really bugs me about the loss of the color wheel and CAST is that the reason a lot of people think it was left out was because of performance. Looking at Sims 3 gives a lot of weight to that argument. A huge house with custom colored patterns and colors takes significantly longer to load and render than one with matching or defaulted patterns and colors.

What's annoying to me is that the way that Sims 4 is set up with the sectioned hoods and a semi-closed world - it would have been a lot less taxing on a PC to load and run a customized house or community lot than on Sims 3. Significantly so. The lot would have been smooth, playable, and would have given a lot of power to the creative types that flocked to Sims 3.

You make an excellent point. With only a small amount of lots to load and not an entire world, you'd think customized stuff would load a lot faster. You'd think they could have implemented it and it would have run faster. I could see having fewer patterns to choose from, maybe less categories. Maybe just a color wheel. Something, not nothing.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Simmerfreak44Simmerfreak44 Posts: 1,641 New Member
    edited July 2014
    http://simsvip.com/2014/07/27/the-sims-4-cas-recolor-tool-now-available/ wow :shock: This might change my opinion on whether to get the game or not. Maybe, have to think about it and learn more. But good news nonetheless! :mrgreen:

I use a few mods but they are frustrating putting them into the game.
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited July 2014
    mikhyboho wrote:

Exactly. Anyway, I need help. Somebody talk me out of buying the game. It sucks and I don't want to buy it. :lol: I prefer being not even tempted to buy it. Because overall, it's still an unfinished game and I seriously HATE having 50 gigs of recolors when casT is so easy to use. Btw, just waffling about it is grounds for "I told you so" in my book so feel free... :lol:
  • Options
    Happychic101297Happychic101297 Posts: 1,002 New Member
    edited July 2014
    EA disgusts me
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    edited July 2014
    EA disgusts me

I don't think you're alone in thinking this. Anyway, if this recolouring mod is for real I may end up getting a mod for the first time ever. That is, if I get TS4.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited July 2014
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    Yeah, it looks that way just like EA/Maxis left modders to fix SimCity and it is a ongoing trend because that is what EA/Maxis is thinking, "We do not have to fix anything, we have the modders do it for free."

That's what I think too. EA knows the modders love to do stuff like that so they takes advantage.
    Too bad the modders can't make their own Sims game, they'd make a mint.
    Although S3PE is not a mod, it's a program, (a package editor) its pretty easy to use. I've used it a few times.
    I imagine S4PE is about the same.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited July 2014
    Moonbarker wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

Seriously. Over on their feedback thread for the CAS demo, the majority of people are asking for a color wheel..

It's a shame EA don't actually listen to customer feedback. :(
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2014
    So.. What you should learn from this is - Don't buy games from EA because they are incomplete. Donate money to the modding community who make these incomplete games actually playable.

1) Don't buy games.
    2) Pay modders to fix games people don't buy.

Hmmmmmm....

I wish EA-haters developed a brain.
  • Options
    LEvans102071LEvans102071 Posts: 448 Member
    edited July 2014
    Halle_M wrote:

What? They never said modding wasn't possible, or that we wouldn't be able to mod recolors? People have been doing that since TS1 for chrissakes.. What they said was.. with the way the game was created, they *will not, ever* be able to add CASt, or a color wheel.

But, of course.. third-party people have been cleaning up EA code for.. many, many years... just as Twallen... lol