Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How did EA "take features away from us" if this is an entirely new game?

Yes, I am aware that it starts from TS1, then to TS2, then to TS3, and now we are at TS4. Every base game, EA started from scratch again. The Sims 3 focused on an open, lively world. The Sims 2 focused on generations, and well, The Sims 1 was the first and still has a place in my heart even with the depressing graphics and limited items. The Sims 4 has started from scratch as well. I understand, we don't have a lot of key features that TS3 offered, but how many expansion packs did we have before we could even swim in a lake or the ocean? That didn't get added until almost the end of TS3 games. So how can we be missing features, if this an an entirely new game built from the ground up?

We have been asking for the new build features since the beginning of the franchise, and EA has done a good job at starting with what they have complete so far. EA has set TS4 up for a lot of expansion! If they gave us all of the key features that TS3 offered, then the game wouldn't get released until 2020 and they wound't release any expansions. Instead of brining back features from TS3, they have added new features. Give these new features a chance!

I have no intention of swaying anybody's opinion of this game. If you already have the mindset of hating this game, well, nothing is going to convince you otherwise. What I am trying to do is to put logic into you mind. I'm not saying that I love this game, but I also don't hate it. I'm giving it a chance. I am not an EA fanboy either.

Everybody complained about features that were missing from TS2 to TS3. Didn't notice? Well, that's because we were all too amazed at the lack of loading screens. What does the lack of loading screens get us now at the end of TS3 games? Lag, lag, lag, freezing, crashing. I have a high end, custom built gaming PC and my computer has a hard time dealing with TS3 and all of the expansions and stuff packs running. Everybody is going to complain about something; there is no way to make everybody happy in this world. I am happy to see a new addition to The Sims franchise, and I will always buy them because I have been here since the beginning.
Watch my live streams and follow me on twitch!

Comments

• Options
    Pandia101Pandia101 Posts: 175 Member
    edited July 2014
    If its an ENTIRELY new game it shouldn't be named The Sims 4.
  • Options
    Vampyfan2Vampyfan2 Posts: 517 Member
    edited July 2014
    Pandia101 wrote:
    If its an ENTIRELY new game it shouldn't be named The Sims 4.

Why is that? It was built with an entirely new system, they had to redo all of the animations and graphics. It is an entirely new game, if not, then we would have items that they just pulled from TS3 and chucked them into TS4.

• Options
    Happychic101297Happychic101297 Posts: 1,002 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I think it honestly should be called The Sims online game, like a facebook or mobile game or something.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    It's another addition to the franchise. If all the games had pools in the base game, it would be common sense to add pools in this base game. Same goes for toddlers. Who the hell takes out a life stage like that? Completely ridiculous.

This is a new game, yes, but as a sequel it needs to expand what its predecessors have.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think it honestly should be called The Sims online game, like a facebook or mobile game or something.

It's not a mobile game. It's not a Facebook game.. It's not an online game. So none of the above fits.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    It's another addition to the franchise. If all the games had pools in the base game, it would be common sense to add pools in this base game. Same goes for toddlers. Who the hell takes out a life stage like that? Completely ridiculous.

This is a new game, yes, but as a sequel it needs to expand what its predecessors have.

I agree as well, I am not saying that I agree with all of the features that we have (or do not have) in the game, but I can live without toddlers for a while. I never used pools in game, all I did was add a pool to give it a suburban look. I'm sure we have enough new features to compensate for the features that we are lacking from previous games. I can't say for certain that it will, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

• Options
    EatCheesEatChees Posts: 1,378 Member
    edited July 2014

It's not a mobile game. It's not a Facebook game.. It's not an online game. So none of the above fits.

Could have fooled me...
    Sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014

You're right. Even The Sims Freeplay, a mobile game, has toddlers and pets. And the app is free! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    EatChees wrote:

Could have fooled me...

None of my Facebook or mobile games has the amount of features or high quality graphics that I have seen so far.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    EatChees wrote:

Could have fooled me...

Put two pictures together. One of the best looking sim someone has made with the demo , and one of the best looking sim someone made with the facebook game.

I'll be happy to point out all the differences to you, since you clearly can't see them yourself.
  • Options
    MonotramMonotram Posts: 143 Member
    edited July 2014
    If TS3 is open and lively, what is Sims4? Closed and dead :D? It really looks kind of a mobile game, maybe we can make some neighbours with origin-friends and tapp out their houses.

I'm really frustrated cause their is no option for story-procressing. On one hand they make the sims more sympathic, so you can "bond" with them, and then you have to leave yoour family, so the other sims can procresss. One step foward, and two back. For many things. And I will miss cars and bikes driving around, that is really "tapped out".
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    EatChees wrote:

Could have fooled me...

Put two pictures together. One of the best looking sim someone has made with the demo , and one of the best looking sim someone made with the facebook game.

I'll be happy to point out all the differences to you, since you clearly can't see them yourself.

The Sims Freeplay has toddlers, with gameplay! And they have pets!And they have pools! It's all for free!

Meanwhile TS4 charges $70, for none of that. :lol:
  • Options
    bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    The Sims Freeplay has toddlers, with gameplay! And they have pets!And they have pools! It's all for free!

Careful Kirby. Simple math confuses many on these forums :roll:
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:

You're right. Even The Sims Freeplay, a mobile game, has toddlers and pets. And the app is free! :lol::lol:

Yes , the app is free , but if I remember correctly , if you want to go very far in the game you have to fork over some money.

Oh , and there's the small fact that it takes Sims in Freeplay 8 real hours to get fully rested. Eating a meal takes half an hour. There's no queing actions , there's no fast forward button , and in my opion , all the sims look like they stepped right out of a Wii.
  • Options
    naanaatalinaanaatali Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm excited about this game, but I can't say I appreciate EA presenting features that we've had in previous games as "new." Sims have had emotions before, and these emotions have altered the way they interact with other people and their world (for instance, lowering the relationship status between two Sims gives you the option to fight, more flirting opens up more romantic options.)

Graham mentions that since his sim is a geek he has unique social options. This is in Sims 3. He mentions picking an apple and planting it in his backyard to work on his gardening skill. That's ALSO a feature that existed in the Sims 3. I feel a little cheated as a consumer when they do this because, as game developers, they would know more than anyone else that these are not new or original features.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

Careful Kirby. Simply math confuses many on these forums :roll:

The lack of grammatical knowledge can be just as bad ;)

• Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    EatChees wrote:

Could have fooled me...

Yes! And also , it takes them forever to do stuff , so it's basically a virtual pet game!
  • Options
    KatzMeowzKatzMeowz Posts: 894 Member
    edited July 2014
    What will the loading screens get us at the end of S4? The first loading screen in the gameplay demo was 25 seconds. It lasted from 9:16 mark to 9:41. Add a couple of more seconds to that until you can control your sims.

I'm not even going to address the rest of your post since I'm really tired of seeing people make this argument over semantics. Though I will say that anyone who's coming to the forum and posting about S4 is likely still giving the game a chance. It's just that many of us keep getting disappointed by what we're learning and seeing about it. I wouldn't still be here if I wasn't still hoping to find something to completely sell me on the Sims 4. Of course, I'll likely eventually buy the game, but I'll wait until it's on sale for 1/2 off or more. Mostly that's because I'm a cheapskate and do that with most anything I purchase.
  • Options
    bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    Vampyfan2 wrote:
    The lack of grammatical knowledge can be just as bad ;)
    Well played. I am sitting here drinking and watching Silence of the Lambs with my wife. Not really paying attention.
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    EatChees wrote:

Could have fooled me...

Yes! And also , it takes them forever to do stuff , so it's basically a virtual pet game!

Listen, it's very clear that you will defend this game no matter what they take out. Why wouldn't you? You'll be buying with your parents money anyway. No loss for you. But for people, like me, who have bills to pay, I can't just throw EA $70 for a game that has next to nothing in it.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2014
    This isn't an entirely new game. Each different installment to the franchise is essentially the same game with similar goals with their only difference being visuals and different mechanics. The purpose of the original Sims game, was to keep your sims needs met. This goal has been in every PC sims game to date, and until now big features introduced in a base game were usually carried over. So unless they plan on ditching the core components of the franchise and completely tanking it, they are never making a new game. Thus far they have made 3 sequels, and more than a couple spin offs of the original game. The sequels are The Sims 2-4, where they share essentially the same gameplay just updated mechanics, and spin offs would be like The Sims Medieval or The Sims Stories, where they have changed the core components of the game to accommodate goal driven gameplay.
  • Options
    AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have to agree with Vampyfan 2 here: the Sims 4 is offering a different experience for gameplay, it's still a life simulation, it's still a house/city builder, it's still a Sims game. The same thing happened when TS3 came out, people had expectations for what they perceived the direction of the new game would go, but the developers where not trying to "fine tune" the TS2 experience, but bring about a new type of game with similar goals and similar features but that had a completely different feel to it.

Just because many fans were dismayed that TS3 went in a different direction than they had hoped as a sequel for TS2, did not negate TS3 from being a Sims game. I hear a lot of people on the forums stating that TS4 should only "move forward" from TS3 and that harkening back to features from TS2 is taking a step back. That would only be true if the developers were trying to craft an experience like TS3. They are not, they are trying to make a different feel to the Sims 4 gameplay. Things like an open world worked for the type of game world experience they wanted people to have for the Sims 3. An open world does not factor into the type of experience that the developers have crafted for TS4. This does not mean that TS4 is an outdated game, it simply means that an open world does not suit its gameplay style.

So, yes, either people can give it a go, and see if they enjoy the new experience of a new type of game, or they can choose to say, "hey, from all that I have seen, this does not look like the game for me!" But it is still a Sims game, and it will have both similar, and different features to all iterations of the previous Sims titles.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ^^^ You think my parents are paying for this game? What is buying the sims 4 is money I'VE earned , scrimping and saving for a year. If you think it was a no biggie for me to save $82 , you would be wrong.

And there is this thing called COLLEGE I am saving money for.

And your wrong about the game having next to nothing , but since YOU are hell bent on being an ******* , I won't list the stuff that is in the game.

Normally , I wouldn't be cursing like that , but you just got a spot on my **** list , Kirby. Congrats.

Wednesday.gif

• Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Vampyfan2 wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

I agree as well, I am not saying that I agree with all of the features that we have (or do not have) in the game, but I can live without toddlers for a while. I never used pools in game, all I did was add a pool to give it a suburban look. I'm sure we have enough new features to compensate for the features that we are lacking from previous games. I can't say for certain that it will, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Good for you? There's still a month to go though so I'm sure they'll have time to debunk something that's really important to you, too, it seems to be their MO. :wink:

The problem isn't just that they took out stuff that we've come to expect from the other games, it's the amount of things they're asking us to pay for. I see a lot of things left out and very little put in to replace them.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ^^^ You think my parents are paying for this game? What is buying the sims 4 is money I'VE earned , scrimping and saving for a year. If you think it was a no biggie for me to save $82 , you would be wrong.

And there is this thing called COLLEGE I am saving money for.

And your wrong about the game having next to nothing , but since YOU are hell bent on being an ******* , I won't list the stuff that is in the game.

Normally , I wouldn't be cursing like that , but you just got a spot on my **** list , Kirby. Congrats.

Wednesday.gif

I'm not intimidated by a teenager sorry. :lol::lol:

The angrier you get, the more you sound like your good friend Angelface. Hmmm... :hunf: