The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 would've been better with realistic graphics

Comments

• Options
    uberguy5uberguy5 Posts: 37 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I always get confused when I hear the term graphics being thrown around. I always assumed graphics were sorta like the background mechnics of the game. for example, lighting, physics, polygon count, animations, etc. but coming onto the forum people use it to explain the aesthetics of the game. so my question: which is it?

personally I think graphic wise its fairly realistic than sims 3 and a big way to tell that is the lighting. lighting now penetrates all floors of a house. sure the bloom is sorta annoying, but it irked me when a house light on the first floor wouldn't show on the second.

As for the aesthetics of the game I don't mind it. Its unified, and has that quirkiness to it that screams SIMS! I think they could have done better with the textures. The hair in my opinions is meh. I like how much volume the hair has, but I think they could have done better with textures to make it look less blocky. I hope CC gives a good medium.
  • Options
    BlackPearlWolfBlackPearlWolf Posts: 18 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Dezmeria wrote:
    I don't particularly care for the cartoony graphics that being said I understand why they went that route (which I won't repeat again).

What makes me scratch my head is that Dragon Age:Inquisition (fixed) is using Frosbite and so is The Sims 4.

I look at DA:I then back to The Sims 4 and go ...🐸🐸🐸🐸.!?!

:roll:

Sorry but The Sims-4 and Dragon Age:Inquisition (not 3) are two entirely different games not even remotely similar in graphic art style. Sorry but an engine is not an art style at all. BF-4 runs Frostbite-3 as does BF-Hardline, but BF-Hardline looks terrible in the graphics department compared to BF-4. Also Plants Vs. Zombies runs on Frostbite-3 and also has a cartoonish art style. So in summery the Frostbite game engine is just that a game engine, Not A Graphical Art Style. :roll:

P.S. I have looked High and Low and have found no evidence of the Sims-4 using any type of Frostbite engine(1,1.5,2 or 3). Not saying it isn't just that I have found nothing saying that it is, only that they are using a new in-house engine.
  • Options
    ArkansasWoman777ArkansasWoman777 Posts: 601 Member
    edited July 2014
    The sims aren't suppose to be realistic, they are suppose to be cartoony looking. I mean if you want realistic stick with Gta 5, Watch dogs, and any other realistic game out there. Besides if it was realistic people who had issues with the Sims 3 would have issues.
    i7 6700k, 1tb ssd, Rx MSI 480 8gb, Evga 750G2, Corsair H100i V2, 16gb of ram
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    edited July 2014
    The Sims has always been styled to a some degree. This time they went with a more artistic approach, which I think is perfect and beautfully done. And yes, I think the hair is the best looking yet. But that's my own opinion.

If these sims looked completely realistic while being as expressive and animated as they are, it'd be disturbing. Like some kind of unnatural CGI you often see in courage the cowardly dog. Then throw in all the weird stuff that happens in game and look what you've got.

Stop acting like everyone wants realistic, because they don't. You're opinion isn't the only one. Calling them lazy because they went more stylized is just ridiculous. :roll:
  • Options
    eminerinaeminerina Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2014
    vesvezDat wrote:
    Everyone is CC'ing Sims 3 and even Sims 2 to make them look realistic. That means most people want realistic graphics.

So why EA didn't listen to the customer and make realistic graphics?
    Instead they give us art style.

If i wanted art style i would play Virtual Families 2 or Virtual Farm.

Also the whole thing about "Well we decided to go with Artistic style because we wanted low end computers to be able to play without lag" is ballony.

Here's why. Most people that are into the SIms don't got 1995 computers. don't got 1998 computers. Most simmers are teens or in their 20s with Computers from 2012 and above. And most are PC Windows users with good graphics capabilities.

So most people playing aren't low end computer users.
    I'm about the only low end user. 2009 mac, low memory, and bad graphics card(old and not powerful).

Even if they say Sims 4 will work on mine fine, i betcha it lags badly. Sure it will work but i wil have to set it at the lowest graphics settings.

I'll bet you i can't even set it at HIGH.

Just like Call of duty in my mac. Call of duty 1.6 . I met the specs, and as soon as i set it to Graphics HIGH quaility. it lags like crazy.

So sureeeeee..SIms 4 will work on low end computers. BUT BARELY!!!! So stop lying and telling us that the reason you decided to go for Artistic Style is because you wanted to allow low end computer users to play. That's a total lie.

The reason they didn't go for more realistic upgraded graphics was because they were lazy. No other reason.
    :?

Just because you see loads of players make realistic CC, doesn't mean that EVERYONE is using them. I can't stand realistic CC, I've never used it. The most I've downloaded is a few hairs, makeup, objects and clothes. But ONLY if they match the original look/style of the game. I'm not looking to change the game, only to increase the content.

^^This!!!^^
  • Options
    DezmeriaDezmeria Posts: 1,458 Member
    edited July 2014
    Dezmeria wrote:
    I don't particularly care for the cartoony graphics that being said I understand why they went that route (which I won't repeat again).

What makes me scratch my head is that Dragon Age:Inquisition (fixed) is using Frosbite and so is The Sims 4.

Sorry but The Sims-4 and Dragon Age:Inquisition (not 3) are two entirely different games not even remotely similar in graphic art style. Sorry but an engine is not an art style at all. BF-4 runs Frostbite-3 as does BF-Hardline, but BF-Hardline looks terrible in the graphics department compared to BF-4. Also Plants Vs. Zombies runs on Frostbite-3 and also has a cartoonish art style. So in summery the Frostbite game engine is just that a game engine, Not A Graphical Art Style. :roll:

P.S. I have looked High and Low and have found no evidence of the Sims-4 using any type of Frostbite engine(1,1.5,2 or 3). Not saying it isn't just that I have found nothing saying that it is, only that they are using a new in-house engine.

It was more of a snide comment. The darn internet does not convey how words are said very well.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    That's why I won't buy Sims 4 but GTA V for PC this fall.
    rsg_gtav_screenshot_029.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBrG2YjqQA

Sorry but not even remotely the same type of games or art style. Kinda like trying to compare apple's to oranges's.
    You might as well compare The Sim's-4 to BF-4,CoD-Ghost,Sim City-4,Sid Myers Civilization, The Witcher-3,Batman Arkham Knight, The Last of Us remastered or any other number of games that in no way bare any similarities to the Sims-4 game style let alone art style.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Dezmeria wrote:
    Dezmeria wrote:

It was more of a snide comment. The darn internet does not convey how words are said very well.
    On that we agree, the internet is a terrible format for Sarcasm or its cousins to be expressed. Something I have been guilty of in the past as well. So its all good-n-the-hood. :lol:
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sims 4 would've been better with realistic graphics? I respectfully disagree. I think if sims 4 was super realistic it would be too uncanny valley and ultra creepy.
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited July 2014
    I beg to differ, OP. Not "everyone" wants realistic looking Sims. The Sims aren't meant to be realistic, serious and normal. They're meant to be somewhat goofy and the current graphics suit that just fine.

Also, judging from posts here over the years, there are still quite a lot of people who do use low end computers. Just look around. You'll see plenty of complaints.
  • Options
    TheSims3crazy154TheSims3crazy154 Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2014
    I disagree. The cartoonish style, at least for me, has kinda made me love The Sims, they tried to make sims in TS3 realistic but they ended up looking horrible.
  • Options
    TheSims3crazy154TheSims3crazy154 Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2014
    Katnap wrote:
    I beg to differ, OP. Not "everyone" wants realistic looking Sims. The Sims aren't meant to be realistic, serious and normal. They're meant to be somewhat goofy and the current graphics suit that just fine.

Also, judging from posts here over the years, there are still quite a lot of people who do use low end computers. Just look around. You'll see plenty of complaints.

This. I'd rather play real life if i were looking for realistic graphics, i think EA/Maxis already made it pretty clear that TS is not made to be realistic and all, hence expansios like Makin' Magic and Supernatural.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sims 4 would've been better with realistic graphics? I respectfully disagree. I think if sims 4 was super realistic it would be too uncanny valley and ultra creepy.

I wondered how long it would take someone to bring up 'uncanny valley'.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited July 2014
    For me I prefer gameplay more than Graphics but that does not mean I want my graphics to look like it was from the nineties or eighties. Sims 4 may have graphics but for me not the gameplay and Everything EA/Maxis is putting out before release is in theory being they may get good results on what they are using but everybody does not have what they are using. The loading screens times are not going to be the same for everybody and even if it is initially, wait until the CC, EPs and SPs start rolling in. Those with a high end computer may do good, but it is the low end that will be seen if it can handle the load and if it can't well if you couldn't fix in Sims 3 I do not see it getting fixed in Sims 4 especially if the game is 32 bit.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited July 2014
    Ultra wrote:
    Okay, i've been nothing but critical about sims 4 but you are wrong. Not everyone downloads CC to make their sims look more realistic (i don't) I like the look of the sims 4(about the only positive thing i have to say about it). I don't want realistic looking sims, sims has always had a cartoonish charm.

Now if you had said sims 4 would have been better with an open world, story progression, Cast, toddlers, smaller teens, pools, cars, terrain tools, world editor, bigger lots, i might have agreed with you :lol:
    I agree with that.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:

Sorry but not even remotely the same type of games or art style. Kinda like trying to compare apple's to oranges's.
    You might as well compare The Sim's-4 to BF-4,CoD-Ghost,Sim City-4,Sid Myers Civilization, The Witcher-3,Batman Arkham Knight, The Last of Us remastered or any other number of games that in no way bare any similarities to the Sims-4 game style let alone art style.
    Art style is a matter of taste. Maybe the "art style" of TS4 is what you like but it sure is not what I like. And game style? Why shouldn't a life simulation look more realistic and have a physics engine? Because you say so?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eco5i256Cys

This is what I was hoping for and expecting
    Yeah I have seen that one. :)
    Alas it was too good to be true.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited July 2014

Even if they wanted to think about CAS. How is your average user going to design a realistic Sim? I don't have those kinds of skills.

How many end users designed the characters I saw in that GTA video? Those are done by professional artists.

I don't play GTA but I do play some other action games that involve a lot of recycled stock footage. Nothing like that is possible in The Sims because we can even customize NPCs and Townies.

Sure they can make the backgrounds more realistic but then The Sims would not fit their environment.

EA needs to release a game software design simulation game. Some of you are clueless.
  • Options
    ClaudiaElzoClaudiaElzo Posts: 1,120 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I like the cartoony look except for the hair. I don't realy care muc for GTA.
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    OMG.
    THIS in so many ways which I simply lack the ability to articulate :lol:
  • Options
    Renay94Renay94 Posts: 88 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I personally love the cartoony look they have achieved. I play the sims to get away from problems in real life, so it would be off-putting for me with my sims looking too 'real'.
  • Options
    TrondrianTrondrian Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2014
    I will bet that if another company release a sim game with realistic graphics all you on this forum that are saying you don't want it to realistic will be among the first to go out and buy it. It really amaze me that in 2014 EA keep saying that they had to take out all of those features because it would cause too much lag and yet we have a gave like GT 5 that has a huge open world, about 50 characters in one location, all types of vehicles such as cars, buses, trains, planes, bikes etc, and these vehicles have lots of animation. Of course not to mention that the game has very detail almost realistic graphics in the buildings and terrain. In addition the characters have lots of animation such as the ability to fight, run or shoot and yet GT can play on a computer that will cause serious lag with sims 3 and make them do a remake of sims 2 with emotions in the form of sims 4. But you know what, doesn't the characters in GT 5 display emotion as well. So how can a company make a game like GT 5 with so many animations and realistic graphics happening and so many other different things going on at once and EA is having so much difficulty with the sims 4. I will bet again that if another company releases a sims game with features like GT 5 the folks at EA would release a sims 4.5 in a hurry with everything they took out included

Ps. EA is not going to fix any thing cause they know that most of you will buy it anyhow
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:

You've missed the point. It's not about comparing apples to oranges but the EVOLUTION of a long running franchise. Particularly since the excuse the devs gave for NOT designing TS4 for middle to high end systems was ridiculous. i.e. TS4 will probably end up being one of a kind in NOT being designed to take advantage of gaming industry technology advances in the RAM, CPU & GPU departments :?

I think Cyron's point was the lack of realism in TS4 graphics dept (unlike the way the graphics have evolved in GTA V) could end up driving away -- or turning off -- many simmers that prefer realism in the game. But only time (and sales digits) will tell in the next 50+ days or so come Sept.
  • Options
    dachshundsr4medachshundsr4me Posts: 208 Member
    edited July 2014
    Wilderwolf wrote:
    I much prefer what we're getting with Sims 4. I'm playing a video game, not real life. I loved the cartoon style of Sims 2 much more than the realistic nature of Sims 3. With Sims 3 there was no set style, so everything varied and looked out of place. Take the jeans from Diesel stuff pack for instance, they were sooooo realistic looking with the tears and fade that all the other jeans just looked weird in comparison. With Sims 4 everything will be cohesive and fit together. If they made it even more realistic than Sims 3 it would feel so odd playing the game, especially killing sims. I'll take artistic style over realistic looking graphics in a Sims game any day.

Thank you i totally agree..