Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relish on toast ???

I love the old mill and all the jam making but who puts relish and ketchup on toast or scones, im English so i know that doesnt happen here, What was they thinking ?????

Comments

• Options
    EehnaEehna Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2014
    yeah, and you can't make marmelade out of oranges, instead you get jam...
    i can assure you that at least I have never ever heard about orange jam, or lemon marmelade.
  • Options
    sue6661sue6661 Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2014
    Good point i forgot to mention that marmalade is made from manly oranges
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited July 2014
    Eehna wrote:
    i can assure you that at least I have never ever heard about orange jam, or lemon marmelade.

Here you go

Mandarin%20Orange%20Jam.jpg

Meyer-Lemon-Marmalade.jpg

As far as the ketchup and relish....throughout my life I've seen people put ketchup on just about anything.....it's amazing to me......and relish? I know people eat pickle sandwiches. Would that be a lot different?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2014
    You can have savory scones rather than sweet -- I've seen ham and cheese scones or herb scones. Those might work with ketchup or relish.

I want to try these for a brunch sometime:

Bacon Cheddar Cheese Scones
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    O come on you know what i mean, its not the norm, why cant we have proper option like ketchup with our main dinners, and marmalade is mainly made with oranges but we dont have this option!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    sue6661 wrote:
    O come on you know what i mean, its not the norm, why cant we have proper option like ketchup with our main dinners, and marmalade is mainly made with oranges but we dont have this option!!!

A lot of people I know use ketchup on their eggs at breakfast . It sounds awful to me but it's quite normal here in the US. As far as the orange marmalade/jam question. It's quite normal to see orange jam and orange jelly on my grocery store shelves. My favorite marmalade is grapefruit....which I pick up at the same store. I'm not trying to argue with you....it's just what I see at my grocery store....which is pretty "normal".
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited July 2014
    What, you're telling me your pregnant sims don't crave relish on toast? :lol:
  • Options
    AldermanTomAldermanTom Posts: 499 Member
    edited July 2014
    I confess to being a ketchup and egg man. And scrambled eggs on totasted bread with ketchup as a sandwich is still a dinner option for me.

And while we are on the subject, since they have hot dogs in the game, why didnt they just tie Relish and Ketchup to hot dogs?

And one final point. I havent used the set yet, but it looks like 1 fruit item = 1 jar of jam. and one jar of jam goes on a scone. Alos 1 fruit item = 1 pie. So, by simple substitution, the filling for one entire pie is placed on one scone. I guess that is why they call it smothered.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2014
    I confess to being a ketchup and egg man. And scrambled eggs on totasted bread with ketchup as a sandwich is still a dinner option for me.

And while we are on the subject, since they have hot dogs in the game, why didnt they just tie Relish and Ketchup to hot dogs?

And one final point. I havent used the set yet, but it looks like 1 fruit item = 1 jar of jam. and one jar of jam goes on a scone. Alos 1 fruit item = 1 pie. So, by simple substitution, the filling for one entire pie is placed on one scone. I guess that is why they call it smothered.

Actually I've heard it's 3 fruits = 1 jar of jam. (Haven't had time to try it out either.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    RoseRidgeRoseRidge Posts: 1,321 Member
    edited July 2014

Actually I've heard it's 3 fruits = 1 jar of jam. (Haven't had time to try it out either.)

You put 3 fruits in Grandma's Canning Station and you receive 3 jars in return. :D
    I don't care what my sims put on their toast, it all makes me hungry! :lol:

Edit: OK now that I am thinking about it I am not so sure that it isn't 3 to 1. Have to go in my game and check. Hate my bad memory!
  • Options
    AldermanTomAldermanTom Posts: 499 Member
    edited July 2014
    Actually I think you are right. It is 3 fruits = 1 jar. Which works out to 3 pie fillings one a single piece of toast.

I may try that. Ummmmmm
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well by definition marmalade is a fruit preserve made from citrus fruits, boiled with water and sugar. So you could use any citrus fruit to make it. Now this is for English speaking countries, you get other meanings in other languages.

I like ketchup on eggs, but even better is salsa on eggs.
  • Options
    ExpandSims2ExpandSims2 Posts: 373 Member
    edited July 2014
    For the canning station when I put in 3 fruits, it shows the sim putting in what looks like one fruit from hers/his hand. When it's done it shows the sim only take out one of the jars...but your inventory will show it actually gained 3 jars. So, 3 fruits for 3 jars. Hope this helps the confusion. :)
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited July 2014
    but isn't jam and marmelade the same?

atleast they the same in dainish... and thats not 100% true either... becouse we also got syltetøj.... but you can make both of atleast most fruits... it depends on the tickness of it...

looks up english definitions....
    hmm so marmelade in english is only oranges and the like?
    but in Denmark it can be any fruit...

I don't think they could divide it in any way and get it right all over the world.... with so many difrent definitions

and yes I do wish they could use the things on more difrent food dishe and use them like herbs to make a dish better (putting the relish over any dish like you can with herbs)
    also would love if kids (and older sims) could eat the jam right out of the glass, and get a sweet but sticky happy modlet.

and yes 3 fruits = 3 yars
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Can you put eggs and bacon on toast in the game, cos i cant, i am talking about making marmalade out of oranges in THE GAME NOT REAL LIFE, there is a big difference, it started with a simple quote, I just wanted to be able to put relish on main foods and ketchup on dinners and savory foods not on toast and scones.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited July 2014
    I guess the Gurus can't please everyone...
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    darkwidow11darkwidow11 Posts: 601 Member
    edited July 2014
    I honestly can care less what my sims eat. A lot in this game doesn't make sense, but it's a game so I don't question it. I can assure you if the Omni plant was real I would never go hungry again.

If you want to see crazy watch the show "Freaky Eaters". I'm sure there is someone out there that puts relish on everything! lol :lol:
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited July 2014
    Eehna wrote:
    Or lime. Yesterday, my Sim made Lime Marmalade. I was like *** since I couldn't make Orange Marmalade.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    sue6661 wrote:
    Can you put eggs and bacon on toast in the game, cos i cant, i am talking about making marmalade out of oranges in THE GAME NOT REAL LIFE, there is a big difference, it started with a simple quote, I just wanted to be able to put relish on main foods and ketchup on dinners and savory foods not on toast and scones.

but you asked what they where thinking... and thats what we ansvered what we thought.

likely they where thinking about real life (mainly amarican culture) and sims.
    wanting it to in some way reflect real life
    wantign it to be fun
    wantign it to work

it might have been so that there wasn't codeing open for them to treat relish like herbs... so they didt it this way

all the food is in some way or the other unrelistic....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    sue6661 wrote:

but you asked what they where thinking... and thats what we ansvered what we thought.

wantign it to be fun
    wantign it to work

it might have been so that there wasn't codeing open for them to treat relish like herbs... so they didt it this way

When i asked the question "what was they thinking" i was being FACETIOUS
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    sue6661 wrote:

wantign it to be fun
    wantign it to work

Yeah, I think code restrictions gets in the way of a lot of stuff they'd like to do. :cry:

I know there are a couple of odd concoctions, but to be honest they kind-of amuse me! Who am I to judge my sims' food choices? They have a rich, diverse culture all of their own! :lol:

I'm actually super impressed by the amount of choice with this item. I think they did a great job of coding all these different choices. We got a LOT more than I was expecting. AND I was extra impressed when I realised the jars actually reflect their contents! Coffee beans... in a jar! :shock:

I personally think they did an amazing job with the canning station. A REALLY amazing job. And I'm so happy and thankful they took so much time with it because it's something I'd been hoping to get back and I'll be using it often. :D

Sure... in a perfect world there is a few things I would love for it to do! But I'm not angry about it! :lol: Hopefully we can mess around with the files and get some more functionality out of it. But that's the privilege of modders who have unlimited time to faff and can mess around with more than just the base game coding. :)

I'm off to have some lime marmalade now... or maybe I'm just being FACETIOUS!!! (Bad simmer... couldn't resist temptation :P )
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    sue6661 wrote:

wantign it to be fun
    wantign it to work

Yeah, I think code restrictions gets in the way of a lot of stuff they'd like to do. :cry:

I know there are a couple of odd concoctions, but to be honest they kind-of amuse me! Who am I to judge my sims' food choices? They have a rich, diverse culture all of their own! :lol:

I'm actually super impressed by the amount of choice with this item. I think they did a great job of coding all these different choices. We got a LOT more than I was expecting. AND I was extra impressed when I realised the jars actually reflect their contents! Coffee beans... in a jar! :shock:

I personally think they did an amazing job with the canning station. A REALLY amazing job. And I'm so happy and thankful they took so much time with it because it's something I'd been hoping to get back and I'll be using it often. :D

Sure... in a perfect world there is a few things I would love for it to do! But I'm not angry about it! :lol: Hopefully we can mess around with the files and get some more functionality out of it. But that's the privilege of modders who have unlimited time to faff and can mess around with more than just the base game coding. :)

I'm off to have some lime marmalade now... or maybe I'm just being FACETIOUS!!! (Bad simmer... couldn't resist temptation :P )

I think it is amazing t Cindarelie.. it is qurqy like the whole game and thats fine... curently my builder sim is makeing presereves that mainly will be put on display where my sims can't get it as kitchen deco....

mmh think I'm going to eat the marmelade my mom made out of elderberry...

still don't know what Factious means... but I know people will mostly read what you writ as what you mean.... and that we can't see your face (incase that it is in the family with ironic)
    so why even ask if you don't want an ansvere....?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Mmmm... elderberry marmalade sounds delish! :D

Yeah, that's the difficulty online: there's no tone of voice or expressions, so things are often taken the wrong way.

Sadly people often sound angry and rude when they don't mean to be. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Mmmm... elderberry marmalade sounds delish! :D

Yeah, that's the difficulty online: there's no tone of voice or expressions, so things are often taken the wrong way.

Sadly people often sound angry and rude when they don't mean to be. :)

actually it is elderberry and aple.... and it is called Countess marmelade... sadly she will not make it any more, as people dosn't buy it ... and I love that marmelade... or jam ... (honestly the translater is confused... it translate danish marmelade to jam... but english jam to syltetøj...the problem is we dont divide it like in english... so it gets very confused.)

I rarely take it as people are angry unless the words are all caps (more than 1 word) I try to just take it as this is what they say and they say it completely neutral if no emotion pictures to giude me as to what they feel (and even then it can go wrong as pictures is also understood difrently or might have been posted in a joke)

still love this set...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anettesb wrote:

actually it is elderberry and aple.... and it is called Countess marmelade... sadly she will not make it any more, as people dosn't buy it ... and I love that marmelade... or jam ... (honestly the translater is confused... it translate danish marmelade to jam... but english jam to syltetøj...the problem is we dont divide it like in english... so it gets very confused.)

It gets confusing doesn't it? The way it gets determined here is what it's made with.

Jelly is usually clear and made from the juice of a fruit.
    Jam is thicker and made from crushed fruit.
    Marmalade is usually made from citrus fruit and has the peel of the fruit in it.
    Preserves are made from whole or large pieces of fruit....similar to jam but made large pieces of fruit.