Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who Thinks Walk Styles Were Worth Losing Toddlers For?

Comments

• Options
    Cendres13Cendres13 Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Rather than doing a half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 job on the toddler life stage and recycle the old animations we saw already (some from NEARLY 10 YEARS AGO with TS2!), they chose to just put it off for later, when they could give the toddlers a well deserved sequel overhaul, which would include lots of new animations.

Okay I'm sorry but has EA actually said this in any shape or form or are you guys just assuming this to be true?

Because I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat of confirmation of toddlers appearing the Sims 4 at some point. But I have not seen any official indication of this.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Rather than doing a half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 job on the toddler life stage and recycle the old animations we saw already (some from NEARLY 10 YEARS AGO with TS2!), they chose to just put it off for later, when they could give the toddlers a well deserved sequel overhaul, which would include lots of new animations.

And it wasn't just for the 7 walk styles exclusively. Those hundreds of emotion-related animations impact ALL Sims and their many different moods.

Personally, I'm okay with that and think it's a very good trade off. Quality over quantity.

Except the walk styles are not quality. Most of them are unusable. Too goofy.

Again, I'm not referring to the 7 walkstyles exclusively, just as she wasn't as well.
    To make those walk styles come to life, we had to create around 75 distinct animations. And it doesn’t stop there. Every emotion in The Sims 4 comes with a visible reaction or even another special walk style. No more looking at the UI to figure out how your Sims are feeling – just look at their faces, posture, movements. That’s where you’ll see about 320 new emotion-based animations, as well as over 600 reactions to objects.

A huge portion of said animations were for the purpose of fleshing out the emotions/moods of the Sims. So when your Sim's grandma dies, they don't just cry for a few intervals of 5 in-game minutes. They have a sad expression on their face, they walk like they're actually depressed, they react to Sims, objects, and performed interactions around them differently, etc.

That's why they're fawning so much over the emotion system. It's truly an immense upgrade to what we had throughout all past 3 iterations of the game.

Now if they added toddlers, they would have to create MUCH more animations, especially in favor of the new emotion system. A lot of toddler interactions in Sims 3 are taken directly from Sims 2. And I don't know about you, but I think near 10 years is good enough to watch the same thing happening over and over again. I'm fine with them holding off toddlers so when they do come back, they're an actual upgrade and have all new animations.
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited July 2014
    Those walk styles ARE too goofy. Theyre over the top and unattractive.
    That cant be the truth, cuz its honestly too stupid to be real.

"You all asked for more toddler and children stuff so we understood you! We know you were really using reverse psychology and wanted more walk styles instead! NO MORE TODDLERS! ARENT YOU GUYS HAPPY???!!!"

:roll:

Psychotic.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

And it wasn't just for the 7 walk styles exclusively. Those hundreds of emotion-related animations impact ALL Sims and their many different moods.

Personally, I'm okay with that and think it's a very good trade off. Quality over quantity.

This is what I feel as well. Looks like I'm in the minority here again, but I love the walk styles. I know they're exaggerated and some are silly, but that's the kind of animated sims I love.

If they don't have enough time to do toddlers right without it being a mess or recycled, and a delay is out of the question, I'd rather wait for quality ones. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    AsuraAsura Posts: 300 Member
    edited July 2014
    screw toddlers. I don't want toddlers, young adult, elders, or any stage. I want innovation, something new, like continuously growing sims, from baby to elder - all in one stage.

This whole concept about "stages" is so last gen.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cendres13 wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:

Okay I'm sorry but has EA actually said this in any shape or form or are you guys just assuming this to be true?

Because I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat of confirmation of toddlers appearing the Sims 4 at some point. But I have not seen any official indication of this.

Am I missing something?

A developer of Sims 4, Graham Nardone, said they ensured the engine would be capable of having new life stages added later. And based on the huge demand for them, I think it's a given the question isn't if, but when, and the distribution of them as well (whether we'll have to pay for them or if they'll be in a free patch).

He said it's possible they could be added at a later time on his Twitter https://twitter.com/SimGuruGraham
    Asura wrote:
    screw toddlers. I don't want toddlers, young adult, elders, or any stage. I want innovation, something new, like continuously growing sims, from baby to elder - all in one stage.

This whole concept about "stages" is so last gen.

I agree, but that conflicts with having to create TONS AND TONS of animations for EACH and EVERY single height measurements that the Sims progressively find themselves in. And then factoring in the hundreds of animations for emotions? :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cendres13 wrote:

Am I missing something?
    Absolutely not. Anyone talking about toddlers in Sims 4 is making 100% an assumption.

Now that said it is my assumption that it is highly unlikely they will ever be included. A strong indication of this is the fact that the teens height is now the same as an adult and the height slider is the ONLY thing you basically can't change in new and improved CAS. It all points towards the game engine having difficulties / high complexity with differing heights.

I could see them reasoning the cuts of pools as something they could include in an expansion (although it ticks me off). To eliminate an entire life stage though points at some much more serious issue and is not EA just trying to milk individuals for another expansion pack.
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    A developer of Sims 4, Graham Nardone, said they ensured the engine would be capable of having new life stages added later. And based on the huge demand for them, I think it's a given the question isn't if, but when, and the distribution of them as well (whether we'll have to pay for them or if they'll be in a free patch).
    Oh but the devil is in the details. Technically, Teens/YA/Adult/Elder are 4 different life stages despite them all looking virtually identical. While the "foundation" may be there to dynamically add a new "life stage" it doesn't mean much and certainly doesn't mean they could get toddlers to work. The actual comment with the developers (not gurus) was a guru asking the developer with regards to preteens which for all we know could very easily be the same height as a child in Sims 4.

If they charge for it that would be a storm of chaos. And if they do it for free what would be their incentive?
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    saranel81saranel81 Posts: 138 New Member
    edited July 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Neetb wrote:
    Even though I'm not a fan of toddlers, I'd rather have them than "walk styles." All the walk styles look so goofy and they'll probably get extremely useless after a while.

It may be fun once or twice? But all the time?

The imaginary friend walk already bugged me to no end.

Also how grounded teens would do the "sneek out" walk even to the bathroom drove me insane.

Man, I hate how the imaginary friends walk. And that's what I thought of as soon as I saw the different walk styles - "this will drive me crazy." Gah, so annoying. Especially if everyone in the whole neighborhood has a ridiculous walk.

I almost think it would have been better if they'd just gone all out "Ministry of Silly Walks" with it. And we could customize walks. THEN it would all be worthwhile.

No, really, I pretty much hate the different walk styles.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd rather have toddlers than a bunch of walk styles that could've been added later on.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TadOlson wrote:
    I'd rather have toddlers than a bunch of walk styles that could've been added later on.

That's the thing; they probably couldn't have had the time nor money to add the hundreds and hundreds of animations later on.

Toddlers, among other life stages, they're confirmed are able to be created later on.
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure when I noticed this in TS3, maybe around when I installed the university EP, but every man that stayed over at my sim's house had this goofy walk the next morning after they had done the deed....I guess it was supposed to be a strut, but it just looked STUPID. I don't want sims that walk goofy like that. Even when I'm down in the dumps, I don't walk with my head hung over; why do my sims have to?
  • Options
    frollo6060frollo6060 Posts: 295 Member
    edited July 2014
    I played other life stages more than toddlers. It seems people overreacted after finding that it wouldn't be in base game. It was never said they wouldn't be in sims 4 at all..
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    Cendres13 wrote:

Am I missing something?
    Absolutely not. Anyone talking about toddlers in Sims 4 is making 100% an assumption.

Now that said it is my assumption that it is highly unlikely they will ever be included. A strong indication of this is the fact that the teens height is now the same as an adult and the height slider is the ONLY thing you basically can't change in new and improved CAS. It all points towards the game engine having difficulties / high complexity with differing heights.

I could see them reasoning the cuts of pools (although it ticks me off). To eliminate an entire life stage though points at some much more serious issue and is not EA just trying to milk individuals for another expansion pack.
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Oh but the devil is in the details. Technically, Teens/YA/Adult/Elder are 4 different life stages despite them all looking virtually identical. While the "foundation" may be there to dynamically add a new "life state" it doesn't mean much and certainly doesn't mean they could get toddlers to work. The only reason they mentioned he knew this was in context to adding preteens which could very easily be the same height as a child in Sims 4.

Megarender-1.png

There's multiple things that set each of them apart. Elders will have lots of wrinkles and probably be hunched over frequently, similar to what we see in that render. Of course, elders don't necessarily shrink nor grow so much in real life, so I don't think it was needed for them to change in height and cost the Sims team to go and remake all those animations for them.

As for teens, the height is the only thing that really is identical to adults. If you remember, in Sims 3, we saw teens had a much different physique than adults, so chances are we'd see that again. Didn't they say that was the case already? I mean, it's not like teens in Sims 2/Sims 3 looked exactly like shorter young adults too.

Honestly, he wouldn't have said that they could add toddlers and other age stages later if he knew that they wouldn't work at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    TadOlson wrote:

That's the thing; they probably couldn't have had the time nor money to add the hundreds and hundreds of animations later on.

Toddlers, among other life stages, they're confirmed are able to be created later on.

Hrrrmmm until they say black on white that TODDLERS, not life stages, can and will most likely will be added later on I am not assuming they have any intention of adding them at all.

They is no 'confirmation'. If they had it would have been in today's blog, but it wasn't. I'm looking all over these tweets and I'm not seeing it either.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited July 2014
    pguida wrote:
    According to Rachel Franklin's open letter, walk styles required hundreds of animations and were one of the things they traded off toddlers for.

Look, I'm going to be honest. I love my sims. I almost never kill them off; I play with aging paused most of the time and only rarely incorporate an accidental death into my storyline.

But these new walk styles make me hate those sims with such intensity that I want to drown them in a swimming pool. :twisted: I want to put them in a 1 x 1 space with no doors or windows and change lots. I want to fill a room full of defective microwave ovens and oriental rugs and delete the doors. I hate those walk styles with almost unfettered rage.

So, no, not really worth losing toddlers or pools over....thanks anyway, Rachel. So very, very glad you're making your mark on the Sims franchise. :roll:
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    edited July 2014
    frollo6060 wrote:
    I played other life stages more than toddlers. It seems people overreacted after finding that it wouldn't be in base game. It was never said they wouldn't be in sims 4 at all..

I don't think it's an overreaction; I don't see anything wrong with expecting a life stage that we've had in previous series to be incorporated into the BASE of a new series. The point of a sequel is to continually expand on improvements, not completely pretend as if those improvements never existed, and I feel this is supposed to be a sequel. If not, name it something else, instead of 4.

This game has the look of an online facebook or IPad game. I half expect to be able to add furniture to my house in bits and pieces, like I get to add a chair and some windows but have to wait twenty minutes for some bar to load before I can buy more stuff.

Until I've seen it in action, I'm saying it's tripe.
  • Options
    saranel81saranel81 Posts: 138 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Cendres13 wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    TadOlson wrote:

Hrrrmmm until they say black on white that TODDLERS, not life stages, can and will most likely will be added later on I am not assuming they have any intention of adding them at all.

They is no 'confirmation'. If they had it would have been in today's blog, but it wasn't. I'm looking all over these tweets and I'm not seeing it either.

Just because other life stages are able to be added on later doesn't mean they'll actually appear. People are hopeful for a preteen stage; I figure we'll be lucky if we even see toddlers.

We've been told toddlers are a priority, that it's a possibility, but that means nothing to me. When I see toddlers, then I'll believe there are toddlers.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Honestly, he wouldn't have said that they could add toddlers and other age stages later if he knew that they wouldn't work at all.
    Your joking right?

A recurring theme with this entire PR mess has been them saying one thing and then changing their response later on.

If Toddlers were actually being considered at this point it would have been called out in open letter from Rachel. All she would have to say is they are planned. That's it. Even if she didn't know herself whether it would be an EP or free, she could have said this and calmed a HUGE GROUP OF PEOPLE.

Rather she intentionally omitted it, and well as of lately the "omitted details" tend to indict unfavorable answers.
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    saranel81 wrote:
    We've been told toddlers are a priority, that it's a possibility, but that means nothing to me. When I see toddlers, then I'll believe there are toddlers.
    Have we even been told that it was priority?
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd much rather have toddlers than 7 walk styles (some of which looks rather silly, IMO) They seriously should have worked on the essentials first and then added extra features and quirks during their extra time. :roll:

So they can do hundreds of unique animations for 7 different walk styles, but they couldn't do separate animations for teen heights (which would probably only need slight tweaking to fit a shorter teen body) , toddlers, or height presets?
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    saranel81 wrote:

I know right? Where? Where? I'm turning the internet upside down over here... :lol: Possible and a priority are two different things, especially when EA says either... lawlz....
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited July 2014
    frollo6060 wrote:
    You played other stages more than toddlers? ok then.. even though i MYSELF played toddlers more than some other stages, we'll cater to YOU. Because you matter most. Obviously.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Reasons for playing other life stages more is also because there IS more to do with other life stages and toddlers are just, there.... We would play them more if the life stage was better handled...

But there's no toddler love.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Your joking right?

A recurring theme with this entire PR mess has been them saying one thing and then changing their response later on.

If Toddlers were actually being considered at this point it would have been called out in open letter from Rachel. All she would have to say is they are planned. That's it. Even if she didn't know herself whether it would be an EP or free, she could have said this and calmed a HUGE GROUP OF PEOPLE.

Rather she intentionally omitted it, and well as of lately the "omitted details" tend to indict unfavorable answers.

"A recurring theme with this entire PR mess has been them saying one thing and then changing their response later on."

Which is why they're not promising ANY new age stage. Graham replied to someone asking about toddlers in the future, and he said the functionality to add new ones is definitely there. So if it's definitely in demand, and so many want it, I personally believe it's a given we'll see it in the future.

They can't promise it because, as it is, it requires lots of time and money to add. Who knows how Sims 4 will do in terms of money, who knows if the management is going to want it in an EP or patch, so many reasons why they wouldn't outright say "toddlers are coming".
    Cendres13 wrote:
    bflury wrote:
    saranel81 wrote:

I know right? Where? Where? I'm turning the internet upside down over here... :lol: Possible and a priority are two different things, especially when EA says either... lawlz....

I think he said they'd be a priority over preteens. Trying to find the Tweet.
  • Options
    ManderMurduhManderMurduh Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited July 2014
    Definitely not worth it for me.

Pretty much a waste of time since a lot of people will most likely get sick of them or not give a hoot the first couple months after release.
    jrbac2.gif
    Origin ID: xoScoochAMooch Feel free to add me!
    Check out my simblr for gameplay pictures! https://leelasims.tumblr.com/

I love BTS and Ariana Grande.