Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are toddlers really THAT important?

Comments

• Options
    saranel81saranel81 Posts: 138 New Member
    edited June 2014
    saranel81 wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Maybe for you. For me, toddlers are my second favourite life stage, the only one so far that I've ever made longer because I felt it was too short (the others I would get bored with if I made them any longer), they are a massive part of my Sims' lives and I absolutely cannot play the way I want to without them. I wanted more for toddlers, I didn't want them gone completely.

So, yes toddlers really are THAT important to me.
    But why its a game and it looks amazing regardless if it doesn't have toddlers. That isn't a good enough answer not to buy a game. We will get them back eventually. I am only saying that its brand new and the sims look like they can be hilarious with the traits and emotions.

Callum9432 said toddlers were their second favorite life-stage - how is that not a good enough reason? They can't play the way they want to play, which to me sounds like a darn good reason for not buying the game.

Edit: In fairness, it's a reason I agree with wholeheartedly.
    I would agree but its still not a reason not to buy the game. Toddlers are probably the pain in the butt stage for me which is why I don't really care if they aren't in the game. I love toddlers because they are the cutest sims in the game. But that still doesn't affect me that much not to buy a game.

Okay, so it's not a good reason for you. It's not fair to tell other people that their reasons are good or not. I thought that losing CASt was not a good enough reason to not buy the game, but other people did. Fair enough. In the end, my decision to not buy the game has no effect on your decision to buy it, so it hardly matters if I have a good reason or not, does it?
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2014
    They may not have been my favorite life stage, but I appreciated the fact that they helped flesh out a sim's life cycle. And I'm sympathetic to the fact that they are very important to many players who enjoy playing families and legacies.

I'm a creative player and my thing was CASt, I was bummed when they announced that it wouldn't be in the game. For builders, it's things like terrain tools and pools. The fact is that this series has spent 14 years expanding on its foundations and showing us all different ways that we can play, from creative play, to building, to legacies and more. Now, they are systematically making deep cuts to each of those play styles that they previously spent years fostering in players. Now it just doesn't seem to be about "play your way" it's becoming "play our way." I'm not big on emotions. I never felt like I needed weirder Sims. If they just wanted to add that element to everything else, whatever, but they've taken away core gameplay elements that different types of simmers enjoyed and not really given us anything other than weird emotions in return.

So, yes, toddlers are important to me. Because they opened up another style of gameplay. Because they were a big part of allowing the player to play how he or she wanted to. Because they had been a part of the base game for 10 years. Because even if I didn't play that life stage all of the time, it was there for me if I wanted to. And, because I'm sad that they've cut so many corners and that even if this content returns, it will most likely be with an additional price tag.

It's so easy for people to say "I don't care. I never played with x, y, or z" until the feature that they used to love ends up going down the drain.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    leyna75leyna75 Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2014
    I am in support of toddlers. I know everyone has their personal connection on a varying basis and that's cool. But for me, my toddlers were always very well tended. Even had the daycare profession and never a neglected kid. My Sim toddlers were always neat, well- dressed, fed, and entertained. I even the the parents videotape their babies to view as a home movie. I read them stories and the had all the equipment. :lol::cry: So yes, I want to back.
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    edited June 2014
    Penelope wrote:
    I'm absolutely astounded that they spent hours and hours making right- and left-handed Sims, but left out toddlers. Who was the dumb bunny who decided that? :roll: I think toddlers are VERY important if you like playing a game where you enjoy the process of raising the children.

And they even took out the left/right handed sims in the end anyway! lol
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited June 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Penelope wrote:
    I'm absolutely astounded that they spent hours and hours making right- and left-handed Sims, but left out toddlers. Who was the dumb bunny who decided that? :roll: I think toddlers are VERY important if you like playing a game where you enjoy the process of raising the children.

This is no shocker. What exactly is in the base game again?
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited June 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Penelope wrote:

Oh Lord. That's gone, too? :shock:

But hey, we can work out at the gym!!!! :D:D:D
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Penelope wrote:

only highly intuitive and tactile sims. More specifically,

Absolutely NO:

*toddlers
    *CASt
    *open world
    *CAW
    *CAP
    *color wheel
    *pools
    *pets
    *seasons
    *swimming
    *swimwear
    *lake/ocean any natural water body access for sims
    *laundry
    *proposing while sitting down
    *cars
    *garages
    *basements
    *custom building of community venues or anything on community/public lots
    *custom split level home design (limited by existence of housing foundation constraint)
    *"normal acting" sims i.e. sims who are capable of acting "non-goofy"
    *sim height differentiation past child stage. So all sims between teen to adult are dopplegangers in height :lol:
    *supernaturals (ghosts still need to be revoked)
    *gardeners (if this was cut then will there be no gardens as well???)
    *sims favorites (like favorite color, music, food etc)
    *weddings
    *private schools (wondering when public school system will be revoked) :lol:
    etc. etc. etc.
    ad infinitum......

You are only limited on this list by your immagination here. Dare dream of a useful or interesting game feature that helped sell TS1 through TS3---and EA will surely find a way to take it away from you..... :lol:

• Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yoshi - You also forgot:
    Buildings that are taller than 3 stories
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2014
    Maybe they aren't important to you but they are important to others.

I'm tired of these posts, "well it's not important to me so obviously it's not important at all". Pools aren't actually important to me, but I don't go around telling others that they aren't important. If somebody is upset about it, it's important to them, that's all there is to it. This game has many different ways to play and everybody is entitled to their own opinion on what is and is not important because everybody plays differently and that's completely okay, it's even encouraged in the way the sims is designed.

I agree with others too, this seems strange coming from the person with a toddler as an avi. :?

• Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited June 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Penelope wrote:

Absolutely NO:

*toddlers
    *CASt
    *open world
    *CAW
    *CAP
    *color wheel
    *pools
    *pets
    *seasons
    *swimming
    *swimwear
    *laundry
    *cars
    *garages
    *basements
    *custom split level home design (limited by existence of housing foundation constraint)
    *sim height differentiation past child stage. So all sims between teen to adult are dopplegangers in height :lol:
    *weddings
    etc. etc. etc.
    ad infinitum......

You are only limited on this list by your immagination here. Dare dream of a useful or interesting game feature that helped sell TS1 through TS3---and EA will surely find a way to take it away from you..... :lol:

Well, we know whats not in the game.... so then is there a game?
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Penelope wrote:

Absolutely NO:

*toddlers
    *CASt
    *open world
    *CAW
    *CAP
    *color wheel
    *pools
    *pets
    *seasons
    *swimming
    *swimwear
    *laundry
    *cars
    *garages
    *basements
    *weddings
    etc. etc. etc.
    ad infinitum......

Nah. But it's a foundation. In time simmers will get everything that they want, packaged in neat bundles at 40 bucks a pop. :wink:
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited June 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Penelope wrote:

Absolutely NO:

*toddlers
    *CASt
    *open world
    *CAW
    *CAP
    *color wheel
    *pools
    *pets
    *seasons
    *swimming
    *swimwear
    *laundry
    *cars
    *garages
    *basements
    *weddings
    etc. etc. etc.
    ad infinitum......

lol Inanna - this is what I've been wondering for a few days now
  • Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yes.

This installment of short answers to simple questions brought to you by the toddler avatar.
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited June 2014
    loosma wrote:
    Penelope wrote:

Absolutely NO:

*toddlers
    *CASt
    *open world
    *CAW
    *CAP
    *color wheel
    *pools
    *pets
    *seasons
    *swimming
    *swimwear
    *laundry
    *cars
    *garages
    *basements
    *weddings
    etc. etc. etc.
    ad infinitum......

theres no weddings, favorites and no cars? thats confirmed?
    and gardens have been confirmed to be in the base game. its just that the gardeners only tend to public gardens cuz sims should look after their own stuff i guess.
  • Options
    Matty904Matty904 Posts: 205 Member
    edited June 2014
    Weddings are in the game. Wedding arches are functional. You guys are adding more to the list than what has been stated lol
  • Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    edited June 2014
    bosslaydee wrote:
    theres no weddings, favorites and no cars? thats confirmed?
    and gardens have been confirmed to be in the base game. its just that the gardeners only tend to public gardens cuz sims should look after their own stuff i guess.

NO FAVOURITES - CONFIRMED on twitter by Sim Guru's
    Gardeners - Only on public spaces (not for sims homes) - Confirmed

Cars - No comment yet (Toddlers and Pools were also no comment) :D
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited June 2014
    It just boggles the mind how unsympathetic some people are.

I don't give a hoot about pools or CASt not being in the game personally, but that doesn't mean I have to belittle their importance or assume that nobody else cares about them either.

You and your toddler-apatethic friends are free to go our and buy the game, but those of us who think toddlers (or pools!) are THAT important are free to make sure our voices are heard, too.
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm sure that if TS4 didn't have chairs in the base game. People would start threads with the title ''Are chairs really THAT important?''
  • Options
    bettynewbie2bettynewbie2 Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2014
    I can live without pools. I never build my own, and only have them if the house already came with it.
    But ever since Sims 1 when the baby crib turned into a child, I have wished for toddlers. I really enjoy the toddlers in Sims 2 and 3. In fact, I edit the options to have a shorter time for the infant age level, and add more days to the toddler age because I enjoy them so much.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2014
    awww really u want this game to fail or flop?? :(:(
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2014
    IcySlash wrote:
    I'm sure that if TS4 didn't have chairs in the base game. People would start threads with the title ''Are chairs really THAT important?''

They could remove all the sims, and people would still ask that. "Are the sims really THAT important? They're all stupid and annoying anyway and I don't like them. I just like to stare at the walls of a pixel home instead of the walls of my real home."
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited June 2014
    Are toddlers really THAT important?

Is dating really that important?
    Is nightlife really that important?
    Is woohoo really that important?
    Are jobs really that important?
    Is gardening and fishing that important?
    Are Elders really that important?
    Are ghosts really that important?
    Are kids really that important?
    Are gyms really that important?
    Are books really that important?

I know. My sims never watch television. We don't need televisions.

Are refrigerators really that important? None of my sims care two hoots about cooking. We don't need that.

ARe clothes really important.
    I just like to build houses so I need really good build tools. I don't care if the game has any of those other features.

I just like to make Sims in CAS.

I feel sure there is at least one simmer out there that can do without one, some or all of the stuff I listed.

The reason that there are so many simmers is because of all of those features. Start hacking away at those features we have come to expect as a community and you start hacking away at your customer base.

Time will tell how deep a cut EA has made to it's market.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited June 2014
    I can understand why to some players the toddler life state is not important. I personally build more than I play, but this latest removal just really bothered me. I thought Sims was a life simulation game?? Is not a toddler a part of growing.... living life?? Pools, CAST, the ability to go shopping, cars, etc etc (the list goes on) of things removed can be argued back and forth as to the importance of them, but a WHOLE life state!!?? So yeah, they are important to me... especially because when I do play I usually love to create my 3 year old daughter who is a toddler.

Screenshot2.jpg
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2014
    Well I find elders boring in the game. Shall we just do away with them too and have all sims die in the adult stage? I find it amazing that people are making constant excuses for the shoddy way EA is treating us. We pay a lot of money to play this game and we should be able to expect honesty from the company and a fully fleshed out base game with all the stuff promised to us a year ago. If they cannot do this, then the game should be delayed until they can. It's not just about lack of toddlers, it's everything combined. Everyone has a 'last straw'.
  • Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    edited June 2014
    Personally, babies and toddlers were the whole reason I was excited for Sims 4 to come out.

I was really hoping that babies would get legs (yea!) and there would be all the interactions with them that they had with Sims 2.

I was also hoping that they would flesh out the toddler life stage and make it more interesting. Let them play in the toilet, pull the dogs tail, throw a tantrum, draw on the walls, sleep in the dog bed, play in puddles after the rain, feel the effects of the weather, eat mud pies, dig in a sand pit, dance, pee on a flower bed, ask to be picked up and held, ride a tricycle, push a baby walker, etc. etc. etc.

I guess we'll see what they did with the babies. If all they did was give them legs and nothing else, I think EA kind of missed the point.