Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No poor neighborhood

Despite the games "diverse neighborhoods" there will be no poor area of town only middle class and up

Comments

• Options
    xladyjxladyj Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited June 2014
    Lol I figured this would happen. Oh well, if they ever add an edit world tool, it's something I'll revamp at that time.
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 7,000 Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria,

I guess EA wants to keep the "world without poverty fantasy" that's in every other sims game. I can't say I blame them entirely, but why can't they made poor run down areas every once and awhile. It took until late in the Sims 3's life cycle for EA to finally add boarded up and broken windows to the Sims 3, and that was store content. It was something I've wanted, even before Supernatural for my haunted houses.
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    Lol, when i first read the title i thought you were complaining about there being a poor neighborhood.

Oh, guess it's not too bad. :roll:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    xladyj wrote:
    Lol I figured this would happen. Oh well, if they ever add an edit world tool, it's something I'll revamp at that time.

If they ever do that, they probably won't let you edit the official worlds with it, but you could probably create a "ghetto" from scratch. Might be difficult without CC through, since EA doesn't deliberately make too much stuff that looks like trash.
  • Options
    xladyjxladyj Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited June 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    xladyj wrote:

If they ever do that, they probably won't let you edit the official worlds with it, but you could probably create a "ghetto" from scratch. Might be difficult without CC through, since EA doesn't deliberately make too much stuff that looks like trash.

Hmm...you think so? :?

We could edit town in TS3...I don't see why we couldn't in TS4. Is there a component I'm missing?
  • Options
    PyziaPyzia Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:
    Despite the games "diverse neighborhoods" there will be no poor area of town only middle class and up

In longer version he said it would be interesting to explore so maybe "Poverty EP" ?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ne1h26

With low end stuff, poor neighborhood and some dirty clothes ;) I would like that ;) I usually play so my sims doesn't have much money and it would be great if they made it easier ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    xladyj wrote:
    Damienf519 wrote:
    xladyj wrote:

Hmm...you think so? :?

We could edit town in TS3...I don't see why we couldn't in TS4. Is there a component I'm missing?

You could, but within limits. You still can't edit terrain or road placement for example in the Sims 3, without create A world installed. I would call Create A World a "world editor," since that's what it is technically.
  • Options
    mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited June 2014
    I guess that's not really surprising with the tiny worlds and lack of CASt. Much less room for diverse households and if you want furniture that looks heavily used, the devs have to put that texture in for you as a preset. No more going to CASt, throwing on the torn wallpaper or rusty textures and calling it a day... *sigh*
  • Options
    bettynewbie2bettynewbie2 Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2014
    There were a few poor-ish households in Riverview. The Broke family for example, and that old guy who lived in a fishing shack. I enjoyed playing the Broke family because they were so disfuctional and it was a challenge to improve their lives. If there were any way possible, I would love to have at least one poor or rundown lot in the neighborhood.
    The not-so-perfect sims and families were some of my favorites. I played crazy Hunter Cottoneye for a very long time, and loved him so much because he was so disfunctional and needed my "love".
    Not having those kinds of families in a neighborhood would be really boring to me.
  • Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    edited June 2014
    Takes out list* - Things that Dream Sims 4 game should have

* Item 100 - Easily editable towns
    * Item 101 - Toddlers
    * Item 102 - Pools
    * Item 103 _ Poor Neighbourhoods

* Item 104 - Sub Neighbourhoods

mmm... this list is looking awfully empty :cry:
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    AmouraBAmouraB Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2014
    oh well no biggie because having poor hoods now in the games and so many simmers cheat and "motherlode" all day to get rich anyway :D this way u don't need motherlode u can be that way out the gate...cool :thumbup:
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Celiria,

I guess EA wants to keep the "world without poverty fantasy" that's in every other sims game. I can't say I blame them entirely, but why can't they made poor run down areas every once and awhile. It took until late in the Sims 3's life cycle for EA to finally add boarded up and broken windows to the Sims 3, and that was store content. It was something I've wanted, even before Supernatural for my haunted houses.

I don't know about TS3 but we had the Hicks in TS1 and the Brokes in TS2 along with a trailer park area in Pleasantview. There was also a trailer park lot with apartments in Belladonna Cove. Basically all the "gearhead" oriented lots in Apartment Life were poor areas.
  • Options
    wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited June 2014
    I always play in a way to make my sims start off poor, if not homeless, and make them work for everything. They don't make it easy in the Sims to be poor or struggle but it is possible. I'm sure that'll still be possible with TS4 but again, not easy. They love to make the game basically throw cash and easy living at you, which is nice for those that like that but personally I think that takes all the fun out of the game and makes it boring.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    I play homeless sims or hopelessly broke, down-on-their-luck sims almost exclusively. This is just another aspect of Sims 4 that is incompatible with my gameplay style, to add to the ridiculously long list I already have.

So, in other words, :roll: .
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014
    It is things like this that can leave many *assuming*. I personally tend not to do this because if i later found out i was wrong,it is a rather painful bee sting in the behind.

Like for example: why make one world (like i said an example) with no difference but also *no way to edit it*?

My assumption here (tho like i said i try not to do that) is that they will add *maybe later* an editing tool for it. what other reason could there be?
    i have assumed before about many things and thats true but i never try to make it seem like anything is set in stone.
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited June 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    I play homeless sims or hopelessly broke, down-on-their-luck sims almost exclusively. This is just another aspect of Sims 4 that is incompatible with my gameplay style, to add to the ridiculously long list I already have.

Not really. You can just have an empty lot if you so wish. You could control your sim to live in the park and just ignore the home lot. You could build a small house rather than a large one, there will likely be a cheat or some other method to get rid of all your sims money, you can dress your sim in simple clothes. You could even edit the lots in a neighborhood to turn it into a lower end housing area.

The lack of poor neighborhood doesn't prevent you at all from playing a homeless or broke sim.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:
    Halle_M wrote:

Not really. You can just have an empty lot if you so wish. You could control your sim to live in the park and just ignore the home lot. You could build a small house rather than a large one, there will likely be a cheat or some other method to get rid of all your sims money, you can dress your sim in simple clothes. You could even edit the lots in a neighborhood to turn it into a lower end housing area.

The lack of poor neighborhood doesn't prevent you at all from playing a homeless or broke sim.

Yes, I was thinking this too because there have been times when I have played a sim to see if he could survive being homeless and jobless.

Thinking about Sunset Valley and all the other EA worlds, I don't think I could describe any of them as being poor areas. They all have a middle class feel to them but it is still possible to play a poor sim, even if only to take stuff away from them with cheats. In one game I played, I made a very poor sim who spent ages saving up for a shower and the day he bought it a burglar came and took it away!

One possible problem for me, though, is the lack of CASt in this situation. CASt is tremendously helpful for creating old, worn out stuff in Sims 3. I just hope EA have had the foresight to add sufficient colour/pattern choice options to allow players the freedom to edit any area to suit their own game style and preference.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:

The lack of being able to create items that look rusted, broken or torn does, I'm afraid. These aren't just upper-class neighborhoods, they're also upper-class build/buy items, and without CASt, there's no way to change that. Sure, I can park a "poor" sim on a lot, but I'm going to surround him with brand-new items? Why would I spend $60 to do that, when I have a fully-loaded Sims 3 game with all the grunge I require already?

EDIT: and Twinbrook and Bridgeport have a great, gritty feel to them that is perfect for playing poor sims. I had a singer who started in Twinbrook living in a hovel. Eventually she moved to Starlight Shores to "make it big" and the change in feel of the two neighborhoods really added to the immersion of playing that storyline.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Why would I spend $60 to do that, when I have a fully-loaded Sims 3 game with all the grunge I require already?

You make a good point. For me, buying Sims 4 won't mean that I won't continue to use Sims 3. It will be an extra game, rather than a replacement game. I am going to choose whichever game suits my choice of gameplay at the time so when I sit at my computer I will go with the flow of whichever one draws my attention the most.

There are times when I really enjoy CaW and other times when I want to build a particular style house. Sometimes I want to play a Sim and go through the motions of the life stages. Sometimes I don't want to play the Sims at all and instead do something completely different.

For me, Sims 4 is adding to my choices and options, not actually replacing any.
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited June 2014
    Not hard to make the town poor yourself :twisted:
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited June 2014
    Celiria wrote:

I agree with Graham's answer to that though, and pointing out that they don't really simulate the more unpleasant aspects of life.

What I hope for are some nice environments that will really lend themselves well to a "run down" or "abandoned" theme. I really loved the Dry Side in Lucky Palms, where some buildings were designed to look like they were abandoned buildings. If we get some good objects that are broken down/rusted/dirty/with mildew, then we could design some really cool rundown or abandoned places. (Used in moderation, it could also help create a sense of poverty.)

I can't wait to see some more of that desert themed district. I personally long to build some neat stuff in that place!! I'll have it be a mixture of rural and military land, so you will see a lot of red necks and jarheads in the same town :mrgreen:
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited June 2014
    I swear I have read somewhere that hoods were poor and other were rich. I am sure this was confirmed previously. what happened now?
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    wickedjr89 wrote:
    I always play in a way to make my sims start off poor, if not homeless, and make them work for everything. They don't make it easy in the Sims to be poor or struggle but it is possible. I'm sure that'll still be possible with TS4 but again, not easy. They love to make the game basically throw cash and easy living at you, which is nice for those that like that but personally I think that takes all the fun out of the game and makes it boring.

I agree! I do the same thing. It makes the game much more interesting.

I remember when my family in Sims 2 became millionaires (no cheats) it was fun building them up to that point. They owned 3 five star businesses and thats when they started being loads of cash. It was also nice to look at the family album and see how far they came from being poor to being the richest sims in the neighborhood.

I miss that family now. :oops:
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited June 2014
    I am not sure what kind of material in the build mode that we can use.
    I do know that in the clothes you can change your look to leather or other, it said so.
    There is so much about Sims 4 that we do not know yet. It will be fun discovering all the things.
    You can buy a house, not sure if you can put your sim in a empty lot. but buy a house and don't delete the lot, but tear down the house. put a bench on it and go from there for your homeless sim. motherload cheat to zero or what ever you want. Now your sim is homeless with only a bench. or make a trailer, not much furniture. I am sure that there are a lot of homeless people in nice towns. they sleep on a bench, under a bridge,
    So have fun and be creative. In fact. do this to a complete neighborhood. We might have different sidings to work with.
    Make it what you want.
    I have played a homeless sim, in many towns that were not run down and it was still fun and hard to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I swear I have read somewhere that hoods were poor and other were rich. I am sure this was confirmed previously. what happened now?

I don't remember them being specific about rich or poor neighbourhoods but I do remember them saying each neighbourhood would be very different.