Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Timeline! *Spoiler*

Hi people, so, according to Sarah:

TS4 will be set on a entirely new Timeline that has nothing to do with TS1, TS2 & TS3, so, it's like a alternate universe. According to her, this was done so that we can have all our all time favorite Sims gathered here.

I don't know how i feel, and i guess no one here even did speculate about the idea of it being that way (with most people believing it was after TS3 but before TS1)

Honestly, to you Simmers that care abou the Storyline (like me) how do ya feel about this?

Comments

• Options
    Ezuu123Ezuu123 Posts: 79 Member
    edited June 2014
    That sucks :(
  • Options
    DblondePimpettDblondePimpett Posts: 494 Member
    edited June 2014
    It makes sense. I mean we have already had them as kids, adults, and elderly.
  • Options
    HanKat173HanKat173 Posts: 135 Member
    edited June 2014
    I suspected this might be the case. It's a way to please everybody in a sense, featuring all the favourites and also start again.

Big claps to anybody who suggested reboot and alternate universe! :D
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2014
    This is actually very good news IMO.

TS3 really screwed up the storyline to the point where things just didn't make sense. Rather than calling it an alternative timeline, they should call it a reboot and try to do better this time around with it.
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited June 2014
    I like having them all in one place, but I am sad to see that they aren't actually creating a story...which brings new sims in with the old. I'm sort of mixed on the topic, quite frankly.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited June 2014
    On the bright side , we might get Mrs. Crumple Bottom as an NPC again!

so I can do horrible things to her :twisted:
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    Well, guess that's sad =/

I really wanted the Timeline to proceed while at the same having everything make sense. That's what most people hoped after TS3 big mess...
    I don't care if my favorite Sims would be dead, as i would gladly play their descendants.

But from another perspective this is a good thing as we're free to accept any current changes and make whatever we want since they're not canon to the original Timeline.
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    This is actually very good news IMO.

TS3 really screwed up the storyline to the point where things just didn't make sense. Rather than calling it an alternative timeline, they should call it a reboot and try to do better this time around with it.
    They could simply have ignored TS3 and made a ''continue'' right from TS2, since it was all going well till it. That would be hard, but still. :?
  • Options
    JustMe123JustMe123 Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm really, really happy with that news! I want all the old favourites in the sims 4, like the Goths, Broke's, Pleasant's etc to exist again, I hated the sims 3's timeline as it messed up some of my favourite families from the sims 2. :D
  • Options
    Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    edited June 2014
    i'm find with this. i have never played with pre mades. i believe the only pre mades i played where bob and betty newbie since they were the tutorial of the sims 1
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • Options
    frollo6060frollo6060 Posts: 295 Member
    edited June 2014
    Doesnt matter to me i like to create my own sims. I will have my favorite sims ( my avi) a young adult in sims 4
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited June 2014
    It makes sense. After all, how many times would we expect the Goth family to move to a new town?
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Nik24X7 wrote:
    It makes sense. After all, how many times would we expect the Goth family to move to a new town?

Yeah, there's little room for development there as long as they are a prerequisite for fans
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2014
    The timeline thing worked for Sims 1 and 2 because time wasn't an issue there.
    In Sims 3 sims and the world they lived in started to actually age (which is a great thing imo) and it became possible to create a history of your own.
    Apparently this is the way the game develops, I like that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I just hope they do start a new story here somehow.

I can't put into words how delighted I was when I first played TS2 and I saw there was a back story! I love the premades.
  • Options
    JonchuableJonchuable Posts: 321 Member
    edited June 2014
    Well the timeline would have made more sense if it went after TS2, with the lives of Cassandra and Alexander Goth. But that's just me. :-)
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I always thought of all previous games existing in separate timelines, otherwise, none of it would ever make sense, even between TS1 and TS2 some things don't make sense (Michael, a college graduate being the older sister of Bella, the housewife and the mother of a school age child, or how Gunther goes from an immigrant bringing his family from the "Old Country", suddenly having the graves of his parents with Mortimer, Bob and Betty suddenly got a daughter older than Cassandra and the age gap between Daniel and Jennifer dramatically increased, not to mention most of the town uprooting and moving to another town together. It has long been clear that there is no consistent timeline (either that, or the people who design the premades are really bad at maths).
  • Options
    tj19941994tj19941994 Posts: 653 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm okay with this, just so long as it isn't an excuse to have Sims that are from completely different parts of the timeline living at the same time (i.e. Nick and Vita Alto as adults living next door to Mort and Bella as adults). That would just annoy me. I also really hope they give the town/families a story this time. That was where I felt that TS3 let itself down with premades.
  • Options
    KyliesThoughtsKyliesThoughts Posts: 698 Member
    edited June 2014
    Wow, thanks for the info! :D

I'm actually pretty okay with this. I mean, there was only a limited amount of time between ts1 and ts2 that would still include Bella, so I dont think the story would be that interesting. I didn't really care to see the timeline between ts3 and ts1, so I think it would be quite interesting to see a whole new story play out. :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    tj19941994 wrote:
    I'm okay with this, just so long as it isn't an excuse to have Sims that are from completely different parts of the timeline living at the same time (i.e. Nick and Vita Alto as adults living next door to Mort and Bella as adults). That would just annoy me. I also really hope they give the town/families a story this time. That was where I felt that TS3 let itself down with premades.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're going to do in order to keep everyone happy
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited June 2014
    As I said on a previous thread; the one about Alexander Goth.

I'm interested to see how this alternate timeline will pan out, it'll definitely be fun to play all my/our favourite families again, but, I'm a little bit disappointed since I'm such a lore geek.
    I know The Sims doesn't have intense, amazing lore like The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, and a lot of other games out there- but, I still really like following the timeline that they've given us in previous games.

Still-
    The Sims 4 is look beautiful and I cannot wait to play it, and with this new timeline, I'm sure the residents of Willow Creek, and other hoods, will be hilariously fun to play!
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,431 Member
    edited June 2014
    I love alternate universes! What if our world is an alternate universe? :shock: But this is great... since it's alternate Bella and Mortimer could have both their kids by now in game.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    HanKat173 wrote:
    tj19941994 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're going to do in order to keep everyone happy
    Ugh, this make me unfomfortable somehow
    If it's done this way then it's even worse than in TS3 where each Town was set on a different time of the Timeline, but being set on a alternate universe then it's reasonable by quite a bit.
    Not trying to sound rude, but seems like the Playerbase that didn't care about a proper storyline/timeline won, after all. :?
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm kind of sad bout them ending their story lines. But I think it'll be interesting for how this alternative timeline will work.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    simsfan95173simsfan95173 Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thetford wrote:
    I always thought of all previous games existing in separate timelines, otherwise, none of it would ever make sense, even between TS1 and TS2 some things don't make sense (Michael, a college graduate being the older sister of Bella, the housewife and the mother of a school age child, or how Gunther goes from an immigrant bringing his family from the "Old Country", suddenly having the graves of his parents with Mortimer, Bob and Betty suddenly got a daughter older than Cassandra and the age gap between Daniel and Jennifer dramatically increased, not to mention most of the town uprooting and moving to another town together. It has long been clear that there is no consistent timeline (either that, or the people who design the premades are really bad at maths).
    Yeah. Ts2 not only initially screwed up the timelines between the families, everyone from TS1 was either missing, dead, or had their lives ruined.

However ts2 let us decide the outcome of the orchestrated events that took place, and TS3 allowed us to rewrite history. Since they already did the sequel/prequel story arc thing it makes sense that they just forget the timelines this time.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thetford wrote:
    Yeah. Ts2 not only initially screwed up the timelines between the families, everyone from TS1 was either missing, dead, or had their lives ruined.

However ts2 let us decide the outcome of the orchestrated events that took place, and TS3 allowed us to rewrite history. Since they already did the sequel/prequel story arc thing it makes sense that they just forget the timelines this time.

B-b-but i loved that...
    In fact, i like how most of TS2 Premade Stories are way more ''dark'' than TS3. These were more realistic aswell. It's not because it's a Game that i wouldn't want my Sims to have a troubled life, reach old age and then die.
    I seriously wanted them to solve Bella's abduction mystery and all other unsolved questions from TS2 before moving on to a alternate timeline. But i guess this will forever be up to the player's imagination, which is... not that bad if you ask me, but i just would like to know the truth. :wink: