Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Long hair. (No really. Actual long hair, not just past the shoulders)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    gailsimsgailsims Posts: 223 New Member
    edited May 2014
    :shock: Oh wow.... I never considered CAS type hair sliders.... That would be incredible. I don't think ANY game has that. That... would make sims 4 preorderable. Seriously. The focus on detail and the customizability that alone would imply.

As of right now, sure they have 18 points or whatever have you, but not even one of those points is for height? Really?

So... add click and drag points for hair length (it could just be the lowest point of a current hair style you have and all it would do is extend the bottom line of it down to make it longer) and one for height. Then CAS will be awesome. Really awesome. Like, buy today awesome. :thumbup:

there was a video game not long ago that had it in it character creation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpMy60h3vc
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2014
    I agree. I have long, curly hair and I would love it if EA made some more beautiful hairstyles like the ones you see for custom content. We also need more curly hair with actual curls, not just wavy and straight.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited May 2014
    Moonbarker wrote:
    I agree. I have long, curly hair and I would love it if EA made some more beautiful hairstyles like the ones you see for custom content. We also need more curly hair with actual curls, not just wavy and straight.

The entire (practically) player community has been calling out for better hair and LONG hair FOREVER! WHEN will EA get a clue??????
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    edited May 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Moonbarker wrote:

The entire (practically) player community has been calling out for better hair and LONG hair FOREVER! WHEN will EA get a clue??????

I think they already got the clue a long time ago but dont see to put that in their list of priorities...well,i wouldnt either, even trough i find it a cool idea.
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    porkypineporkypine Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hello peeps,

I love long hair myself and have modded hair and outfits. The problem with designing long hairstyles is that you have to do bone assignments for the nearest bones so the hair will flow correctly and bend around the body. That poses a problem for some outfits because the hair will 'clip' the clothing mesh if the clothing is bulky. So when you are working the hair mesh you have to 'move' it away from the body in anticipation of where the clothing will be. That's why some hair stands out from the body, in swimwear outfits, etc. Most hair modders will make hair to go with 'standard' clothing types so the hair will work with most outfits.

(This is a simplified explanation.)

Hair is a separate piece from the body mesh. The hair mesh uses bone assignments for the head. When you extend the hair down to the body, you have to give it bone assignments that correspond to the location of the body it is aligned with. If you don't, the hair will be stiff and not bend with the body.

The hair and body meshes don't 'talk' to each other about where their external dimensions are located so they will take up the area that is in the mesh's design, even if that 'clips' the other mesh.

I understand why EA has not made long hair meshes in previous versions of the game - because of the clipping issues. Modders try to do what EA won't do and make things to get around the design limitations of the game - Then you get hair that stands away from the body or clips into the body or is made to match certain types of outfits.

Anyway.. Modding and fiddling with vertices and bone assignments is fun. You should try it! :)

• Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited May 2014
    They've done something similar before. It isn't down to the waist or anything, but Olive Specter had long hair (that's the hairstyle I'm referring to). It is possible, so why haven't they done it already? Even just one hairstyle would satisfy people, I should think.

Edit: I just remembered, it really doesn't go much past the shoulders. Either way, if they elongated that hairstyle, it shouldn't mess things up too much.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In TS 3 the longest styles in the game are these:

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Note that they DO almost reach the waist. There's no reason they couldn't have done other styles at least this long. A curly hairstyle like this would have been great, as would a wavy one. There's really just no real reason they can't improve on this and give us hairstyles AT LEAST this long.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And for the men in TS3 there's this:

screenshot_original.jpg

It has beautiful shine and shape in the back but the front is just well, kinda stupid looking. They need to give us long hair for men as well, in a variety of styles. Again, there's no reason why they can't.
  • Options
    DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited May 2014
    Reason why they haven't done that before is actually because it then cuts through the chairs, etc.
    Making it move with the body is quite difficult or people would complain about it. I'm glad with the hair the way it is now, I don't want hair going through chairs etc.
    tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

• Options
    VININIANNEVININIANNE Posts: 252 Member
    edited May 2014
    yes! The "tresse française" of Lara Croft is gorgeous! Female sims should have more possibilities regarding hair styles and lenght. And, will they grow thought time?
  • Options
    Nigerian373Nigerian373 Posts: 673 Member
    edited May 2014
    Yes! And I would love to see long braids too, like those worn by Solange Knowles (Beyonce's sister):

Solange-Knowles-Net-a-Porter-The-Edit-magazine-braids-vacation-3.jpg

solange-braids.jpg

solangebraids1_article.jpg
  • Options
    RedMallieRedMallie Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    In TS 3 the longest styles in the game are these:

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Note that they DO almost reach the waist. There's no reason they couldn't have done other styles at least this long. A curly hairstyle like this would have been great, as would a wavy one. There's really just no real reason they can't improve on this and give us hairstyles AT LEAST this long.

I agree. One of the issues I have that make me feel disappointed in TS3 is the lack of variety in hair length and texture. The other issue I have is the lack of height sliders or options.
    I understand what people who know about coding say about the difficulties of making these features work, but EA IS charging dearly for each game and EP, so I expected (and still hope for) great things on their part about these features.
    A note to contextualize my comment: I have LOVED the Sims franchise for years, but it was only until 2013 I was able to get a pc that would play the graphics right. SO, my only point of reference in terms of looks and options is TS3, I cannot and would not compare TS and TS2.
    And I have to say, I have caught up with time lost and have almost all EP and SP for TS3, but I have the need to use mods to get the beautiful hair EA is not always providing.
    I am guessing that if EA proposed to increase the price of the game, but included options for height and beautiful long and short varieties of hair (not the plastic helmet of the trailer), more people would be happy to buy the whole set. Just guessing, ...but I know I would buy it blindly then.
  • Options
    AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    > @Slippy64653 said:
    > A lot off cc hairstyles that are very long tend to have strange issues. If you make your sims very overweight, it can go through the sim, or the breast slider very high would do this. And you mentioned the creator Skysims and a lot of his/her hair have to be fixed because of bad bone assignments, bad morphs, etc.
    Yus BUT it happens quite minimal, so imagine if amazing EA did it, Im sure they could make it glitchless, and even if not, STILL WORTH IT FOR THE SIMS IT WORKS ON :smile:
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    > @EmmaLeen said:
    > Reason why they haven't done that before is actually because it then cuts through the chairs, etc.
    > Making it move with the body is quite difficult or people would complain about it. I'm glad with the hair the way it is now, I don't want hair going through chairs etc.

Hmmm waist length wouldnt go through chairs though :smiley:
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    More hair options are definitely needed
  • Options
    emilyduruemilyduru Posts: 289 Member
    This thread is dead, don't resurrect it.@Simpocalypse @AuzzPanda (like seriously it's over a year old...)
    9i7a5w.jpg
  • Options
    > @emilyduru said:
    > This thread is dead, don't resurrect it.Simpocalypse AuzzPanda (like seriously it's over a year old...)
    :(
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    Well yeah asking for things for TS3 is pretty pointless now. Still, it would have been nice if TS4 had learned some things from 3 and actually tried to fulfill this specific request. Color me disappointed.