Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited May 2014
    masajo wrote:
    This looks lots of fun and NO budget .. what a treat! It says existing walls are to remain, but can we add new walls inside the house? :)

Not certain, but I think this is okay? I assume you mean like a feature wall, or a wall so that you can place an arch or something? I think the spirit of the rules is that you don't change the existing rooms, by like, splitting them and adding ensuites (etc.) But again. Don't quote me. Really if you're unsure about something, best just to move onto another part of the build until you get a certain answer. :)
    Okay, so I have placed the shell for the new challenge and there is a roof wall on the 2nd floor, that doesn't even line up with any of the rooves. May we remove this odd wall? it is obviously not meant to be there. Also if we could get clarification on the number of bedrooms, it would be helpful.

Also there is no door to the room on the left on the second floor. Are we permitted to add interior doors or archways?
    Again, not sure about this, but when I asked about altering the roof on one of the last designer challenges for aesthetic reasons (I wanted to change the pitch slightly, and add flooring to fix a few cracks and issues with lighting,) the judges were fine with it. I was also wondering about the bedrooms, but presumably there would be at least one? :lol: The door thing, sounds like it probably should be fixed. I haven't even had a chance to look at the build yet, I really should finish my grocery shopping first. :P

Anywhen, pretty excited about this. Really looking forward to doing this after more than a month away from BnS challenges! :D
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited May 2014
    Spring Designer Showdown 2014

“Slow, deep breaths.” You say to yourself.

“Slow, deep breaths.” You repeat.

Yesssssssssssss! Not an Asian theme!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Gees, I have questions, too. Can you change the color/pattern of the item you choose?

And in the instructions you :
    Your inspirational object must be included in your final lot.
    * You can only have ONE inspirational object.

Can you use multiples of the same item--for example, if I choose the mirror, can I use it in more than one room or put two or three of the same mirror in a room?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    edited May 2014
    Got a couple of questions regarding this challenge...
    1. Can I change the fireplace as long as it's the same size grid?
    2. How many bedrooms is this house meant to have?
    3. The upstairs layout is confusing, is there supposed to be an extra doorway into one of the rooms? Also, there's a piece of roof wall in this room, can this be removed?
    4. Can half walls be added?
    5. Can full walls be added?
    6. when the stairs can be changed, they cannot be changed to spiral can they?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited May 2014
    Wow - so many questions!! I'll answer them in order :)

DessiAnowar - The third item is the video game goggles, the items are included in the shell.

ArikaB - Bedrooms, let's just go with two shall we?

masajo - no, no additional walls can be added, the structure has to remain the same.

gmcrozier - the square room with the diagonal wall to which you refer is unusable space ;)And yes, you may add a one tile door to the room on the left on the second floor, please place it 6 tiles along from the other door.

iampes - yes, you can use your inspirational piece as many times as you wish. But no, you may not change the colour or pattern...

RachelShennan - Yes, you can change the fire place for another of the same size.
    Two bedrooms, see answer to gmcrozier above in reference to the door way into that left room. And no, you cannot remove that piece of roof wall. No walls may be added, not even half walls. And no, the style of the stairs cannot be spiral!

Phew, I hope that clarifies a few things, I'll update the main post with the extras.

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    daCupcakeQueendaCupcakeQueen Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    NAME: daCupcakeQueen

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8224277

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/daCupcakeQueen/library/?sort=3&page=1

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40, 2400 Pinchole point, $1o9,328

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Based off of the coffee machine i made a modern looking home using warm colors and blue creating a comfortable and nice looking home.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, i spent about 3-4 hours to create a comfortable modern home and would appreciate constructive feedback
  • Options
    amkp878amkp878 Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM Spring Designer Showdown #248-249

NAME: AMKP878

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8224322

LINK TO MEDIA: http://www.thesims3.com/myMedia.html?action=default&persona=amkp878

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: no

LEVEL: beginner

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40 lot on 415 Sky borough blvd Sunset Valley $208 710

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I had a little trouble uploading the house there should be a "Ring Around the Posie" in the middle of the nature carpet. I also based my design off of the flowers.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

• Options
    edited May 2014
    NAME: daCupcakeQueen

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8224277

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/daCupcakeQueen/library/?sort=3&page=1

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40, 2400 Pinchole point, $1o9,328

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Based off of the coffee machine i made a modern looking home using warm colors and blue creating a comfortable and nice looking home.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, i spent about 3-4 hours to create a comfortable modern home and would appreciate constructive feedback

Your photobucket link says private, so no one can view your lovely home! Also, just to give you time to fix it if it is missing, I did not see any landscaping when I recommended. You might want to add some if you have not before the judging deadline :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    amkp878 wrote:
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM Spring Designer Showdown #248-249

NAME: AMKP878

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8224322

LINK TO MEDIA: http://www.thesims3.com/myMedia.html?action=default&persona=amkp878

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: no

LEVEL: beginner

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40 lot on 415 Sky borough blvd Sunset Valley $208 710

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I had a little trouble uploading the house there should be a "Ring Around the Posie" in the middle of the nature carpet. I also based my design off of the flowers.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

Your media link is only a link to your lot in your studio. In order to judge your home, they are looking for pictures of the inside and outside of the home--posted to photobucket or another similar website. (This allows them to see and enlarge the photos for details, as needed.) Let us know when you update it because I would love to see the inside of the house! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the answers, Faith! Now I can start my house. :D
  • Options
    _Princess_Natasha__Princess_Natasha_ Posts: 626 Member
    edited May 2014
    Welcome to BnS, daCupcakeQueen and amkp878! I'm always excited to see new faces!

Cupcake, please change your Photobucket settings so we can see your pictures when it's time for us to judge!

amkp878, your media link is a link to your lot. Try to get a Photobucket or Google+ account to share pictures of your lot with us for judging!

iampes23, I hope you have fun! :)
  • Options
    ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited May 2014
    I have a few more questions. I know we aren't allowed to add half walls, but in the brief it says:
    You CAN change, add or delete any fencing.
    So, could we use fencing in lieu of half walls? I want to put one tile of fencing between a toilet and tub in one of the bathrooms.

Also, if we repeat the inspiration piece, do ALL of them have to remain un-CASt? Or can we CASt all but one?

Can we create partitions out of furniture or would we get dinged for that?
  • Options
    shortdude121shortdude121 Posts: 27
    edited May 2014
    Odd question: Are we allowed to add windows in places there aren't already windows for the current challenge?
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited May 2014
    Apologies for not getting back to you guys quicker, hectic, hectic day today.

Arika B - fencing is for outdoors :P No, you cannot add fencing inside... (you could of course try making a wall divider with columns, it won't be a half wall but.....)

shortdude121 - nope no adding any more windows, what you have is what you've got :)
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2014
    Are we allowed to add flooring to the top floor? Just so that there's a ceiling over the second floor rooms?
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited May 2014
    @Paneinger, I would say yes to that. You can add flooring to get a ceiling. But not to create any extra rooms like an attic. :)
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    @Paneinger, I would say yes to that. You can add flooring to get a ceiling. But not to create any extra rooms like an attic. :)

• Options
    oXseashellXooXseashellXo Posts: 678 Member
    edited May 2014
    Are we allowed to use the "go left" or "go right" L shaped staircases from the Prism Art Studio?
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited May 2014
    I am sooooo frustrated. I only had the garage and the back yard to finish on this challenge. I went to call it a night and saved my game.... error 12. No big deal just do a save as and rename it.. right? I tried 4 times to do save as and got error 12 every time. Sooo I saved it to my library and quit without saving. Hopefully when I go in tomorrow it will be there for me to place and continue. I think I may be uninstalling all of the CC, if this continues.

Have a good night everyone :-)
  • Options
    saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited May 2014
    Arika B - fencing is for outdoors :P No, you cannot add fencing inside... (you could of course try making a wall divider with columns, it won't be a half wall but.....)
    But there is fencing inside - at the top of the stairs. Can we not change that?
    I think I may be uninstalling all of the CC, if this continues.
    Do it! I love CC but it really does tend to hold you back from getting really creative with the official content. Plus it can mess up your game and you can't upload it to the exchange, so unless you run your own sims site outside of this one, there's not really any incentive, other than it's the easy way to make a lot look pretty.
  • Options
    ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited May 2014
    But there is fencing inside - at the top of the stairs. Can we not change that?

I wondered the same thing! I hope it's okay, since I already changed mine to match the stairs I put in. I wanted to use the monorail fencing as a border in a few interior places, too, but I took it out. :/

gmcrozier, I'm sorry about the error. That is SO frustrating. My game crashed several times, so I had to redo the garage, the entry foyer by the garage, and the little room next to it 3 times. So I feel your pain. I hope you get it all done. I've been impressed with your builds. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Screenshot-139_zps0a72608a.jpg

One of my designs for this house requires several of a certain gem that is apparently hard to find. My testing family has a dog that has been sniffing out collectibles nearly 24/7 to find my gems that I need to cut a certain way. I filed all the metals and other gems in the front yard to clear out the inventories and I thought it was a pretty impressive pile of large metal bars. Poor dog has been working itself to death :roll:

@gmcrozier - My laptop's not the greatest so I try to avoid error 12 at all costs. Whenever I'm building a lot for one of these showcases and I know its gonna strain my computer, I use a small, empty world with only the lot I'm working on. That helps a lot.
  • Options
    KrystabelaKrystabela Posts: 143 Member
    edited May 2014
    NAME: Krystabela

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8231961

LINK TO MEDIA: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=465914

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Didn't do

LEVEL: Intermediate (I think)

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40, 2400 Pinochle, 154,461

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Since the flowers were my inspiration I tried to incorporate flowers into my build which can't quite be seen through the pictures.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: This has been my first "public" build/design in awhile so yes I wouldn't mind some constructive criticism.

*Should I have noted that it is CC free? But I did use various EP's?
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited May 2014
    paneinger wrote:
    Screenshot-139_zps0a72608a.jpg

One of my designs for this house requires several of a certain gem that is apparently hard to find. My testing family has a dog that has been sniffing out collectibles nearly 24/7 to find my gems that I need to cut a certain way. I filed all the metals and other gems in the front yard to clear out the inventories and I thought it was a pretty impressive pile of large metal bars. Poor dog has been working itself to death :roll:

@gmcrozier - My laptop's not the greatest so I try to avoid error 12 at all costs. Whenever I'm building a lot for one of these showcases and I know its gonna strain my computer, I use a small, empty world with only the lot I'm working on. That helps a lot.

Haha Genius! :) That is an impressive stack of gems/metals!
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    ashayam15ashayam15 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Hey, this is my first public build, I was wondering if we have to use the room on the top floor without the door? :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top